Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbf it'd be hard even for google to do worse than qualcomm.
love finds a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i can imagine this being useful for them in terms of being used to greater and lesser extent not just in phones but whatever else dumb home products they make.

i am skeptical about how different it's actually going to be vis a vis exynos but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
If you don’t have to put up with qualcomm lying to you about bugs and restricting your ability to debug or support the hardware, that’s already a win.

Samsung can make pretty good chips if you know how to manage them and validate the work. google does not know how to do that.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but you see google must follow apple's lead despite their completely different market positions because

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

but you see google must follow apple's lead despite their completely different market positions because

because they're the new microsoft except with a shorter attention span

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

If you don’t have to put up with qualcomm lying to you about bugs and restricting your ability to debug or support the hardware, that’s already a win.

the funny thing of course is that they actually do still have to put up with all that. what are you going to do, use a huawei radio?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
in the words of the christ in this easter season, It Is Finished: LG To Close Mobile Phone Business Worldwide

quote:

SEOUL, April 5, 2021 — LG Electronics Inc. (LG) announced that it is closing its mobile business unit. The decision was approved by its board of directors earlier today.

LG’s strategic decision to exit the incredibly competitive mobile phone sector will enable the company to focus resources in growth areas such as electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence and business-to-business solutions, as well as platforms and services.

Current LG phone inventory will continue to be available for sale. LG will provide service support and software updates for customers of existing mobile products for a period of time which will vary by region. LG will work collaboratively with suppliers and business partners throughout the closure of the mobile phone business. Details related to employment will be determined at the local level.

Moving forward, LG will continue to leverage its mobile expertise and develop mobility-related technologies such as 6G to help further strengthen competitiveness in other business areas. Core technologies developed during the two decades of LG’s mobile business operations will also be retained and applied to existing and future products.

The wind down of the mobile phone business is expected to be completed by July 31 although inventory of some existing models may still be available after that.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

quote:

will enable the company to focus... electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence and business-to-business solutions, as well as platforms and services.

stebe haunt them with the 2x2 grid

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/5/22367851/google-oracle-supreme-court-ruling-java-android-api

quote:

In a ruling on Monday, the Supreme Court found that Google could legally use elements of Oracle’s Java application programming interface (API) code when building Android.

wrap it up oraclealiures

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the sensor cluster was getting a little absurd, so we put a screen on it for good measure

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in upsides it will now actually not wobble when flat on a table, and promises a future where the sensor cluster is the entire back and everything is good again.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol just make the phone a little thicker jesus christ

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol just make the phone a little thicker jesus christ
Why make the phone a bit thicker and add in more battery or material to dissipate heat when you can have a huge awkward block on the back of your phone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the free market will fix that problem by inventing giant charger-cases with big batteries and flat backs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol now I'm imagining an absolute hell future where the irregular back shape of the phone is keyed to specific wireless chargers so you have to buy a new one for each phone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that sort of poo poo doesn't bother me. i'd still love a secondary phone with android (strictly by necessity since there'd be no other os for it) that has one of sony's phatty 1-inch sensors on it. basically an rx100 that can browse the web, though in the interest of thinning it out i'd be fine with a prime lens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

that sort of poo poo doesn't bother me. i'd still love a secondary phone with android (strictly by necessity since there'd be no other os for it) that has one of sony's phatty 1-inch sensors on it. basically an rx100 that can browse the web, though in the interest of thinning it out i'd be fine with a prime lens

the closest you'll get to that is those weird clip-on deals they did a few years back

the front element of a lens typically needs to be at least the size of the senor area away from it, just buy a rx100 or a ricoh gr and keep them in your pocket

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

the closest you'll get to that is those weird clip-on deals they did a few years back

the front element of a lens typically needs to be at least the size of the senor area away from it, just buy a rx100 or a ricoh gr and keep them in your pocket

i actually have one of each, the first revamped gr and the first rx100. i really liked the idea of those floating units, but they were just too slow in practice in terms of pairing and getting the screen on and such. i'd want something that managed to have the speed of the camera system with a nice big display and generalized smart features.

anyway there are rumours floating about their new imx800 being a so-called 1-inch sensor. i'm not expecting the performance of either of those other cameras, esp the gr, since the lenses will no way be as good, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

would be cool if their upcoming xperia launch had it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao lenovos new "gaming" phone

loving big rear end cooling fan on the back to cool it down despite i'm sure offering worse perf than the last several iphones

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infernal machines posted:

the sensor cluster was getting a little absurd, so we put a screen on it for good measure

nice. cant wait to back talk on that baby

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

Google is now informing Fi users who receive text messages through Hangouts that messages sent to them may have gone missing between March 31st and April 5th. The company said there was a service “interruption” that impacted “a small number of people.” Google says it has now resolved the issue and is sending through the delayed messages. Missing messages should appear in Hangouts by the end of today, April 7th.

Google has now disabled texting from Hangouts
Fi users have for years been able to send and receive calls and messages through Hangouts, but Google announced plans years ago to strip those features out as it transitioned Hangouts into yet another Google communications app. The features appear to have been disabled within the last week.

But the interruption occurred before the service was fully shut down, and so Google is still working to patch the delayed messages through to Hangouts. A Google spokesperson confirmed the service interruption to The Verge and said affected users are being contacted. SMS messages will be delivered to Messages by Google or another default messaging app going forward.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a grey goo scenario where the entirety of earth’s resources are consumed by rogue google ai creating ever increasing numbers of incompatible text messaging clients

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
an update on chrome/chromium-based browsers/apps broke physical media controls in youtube music (and youtube?)

the chaser:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

an update on chrome/chromium-based browsers/apps broke physical media controls in youtube music (and youtube?)

the chaser:

if it was later revealed that youtube music was a google experiment just to see how much poo poo they could shovel on their most gullible users id absolutely believe it

the shuffle button did not work when casting until like last week. the repeat button still doesnt work. both buttons have always been there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s an experiment in seeing how many bonuses and promotions they could rack up by shipping a new thing rather than maintaining the old thing. they don’t give a drat about the users.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

it’s an experiment in seeing how many bonuses and promotions they could rack up by shipping a new thing rather than maintaining the old thing. they don’t give a drat about the users.

i understand thats their thing but youd think the replacement new thing would need to be nominally functional to qualify. not necessarily good and obviously certainly not better than the thing its replacing but at least functional

i will say if im being honest that i respect someone getting a bonus and promotion by making music service incapable of playing music more than someone doing the same by making yet another functional chat service. theres at least some valor in commitment strictly to the grift

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I have to assume the new google pay including a messenger app was done by someone in on the joke

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sound by hardon kardon by dre

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

samsung owns harman so they're paying one of their biggest competitors for a logo

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

iphone hardware dev: what today's javascript heavy mobile apps need is a processor that balances good single core performance without draining the battery
android hardware dev: MORE CLOCKS

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
both devs: MORE CAMERAS

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

99 big camera bumps

causing my phone to wobble

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anyone mentioned how google moved the menu shortcut in the play store app from the top left corner, where it has been for maybe a decade, to the top right corner? i cannot fathom why they have done this. they know it's confused the poo poo outta people because they put pop-up notifications in the app advising that it's moved.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Designers gonna design

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

anyone mentioned how google moved the menu shortcut in the play store app from the top left corner, where it has been for maybe a decade, to the top right corner? i cannot fathom why they have done this. they know it's confused the poo poo outta people because they put pop-up notifications in the app advising that it's moved.

i wonder if this is in response to other trends; ime it seems like most apps lately have been putting it in the upper right. which i hate but mostly just because i’m a lefty

googles biggest ui complaint for me is the create new email button in the web gmail client. i have to think and search for it every loving time

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I think it's to provide a unified button to provide a menu for app specific stuff and switch between accounts instead of two different buttons.

Which means that if people don't complain too much, then we could see a similar change to gmail.

On the one hand, I can see how it helps to have a single button to provide a menu... so that it is not confusing to new users or aging users. But constantly changing interfaces is a sore point for those people that have to train coworkers, friends, and family. They should have kept the menu on the upper left, in my opinion.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

those sorts of ui changes are worthwhile imo despite some growing pains but only if they’re actually stable in their new positions because the long-term impact is a net win but lol google

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

this guy finally left the android design team

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

one its just change for changes sake. two is that side menus are discouraged because they conflict with gesture navigation (though googles never did because you couldnt grab them from the edge anyway). three is that theyre trying (and failing) to unify everything under that since the maps refresh

sb hermit is correct in that the idea is obviously one fewer place to look for poo poo but on the other hand some apps lean heavily on the side menu for navigation (like gmail) and theres not really a good one size fits all approach to ui design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i just had a look at some other google apps and everyone who said that it was for a unified UI dealio is correct. in fact it looks like they're tryna make the entire top 1/8 of every app into a kind of search bar (like even for apps that in no way need one it still has a thing that looks like one) with the "your profile pic/main menu" thing on the top-right.

except for the google calendar app, that hasn't been touched and i think it's because they don't know how.