Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I agree it would be much better to seize the assets of wall st, distribute them and force them to do manual labor for the remainder of their worthless lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

How dare you post nobodies from Twitter? For the definition of bad faith arguments please read this reddit comment section I linked.

i have a little dbz scouter on at all times reading the forums and I had to get a new one after reading that post

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

You idiots killed traditional savings and pushed everyone into the market, and now you're complaining about it?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
passive investmetns exist becuase you loving assholes didn't get money from pension plans so you got rid of them you loving gently caress shits

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

passive investmetns exist becuase you loving assholes didn't get money from pension plans so you got rid of them you loving gently caress shits

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Breakfast All Day posted:

i am not a girlboss. i run a small

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

How dare you post nobodies from Twitter? For the definition of bad faith arguments please read this reddit comment section I linked.

I used to work with a libertarian and day one he hung up a big poster of 'Logical Argumentative Fallacies' that he'd refer to anytime someone pinned a healthy straight white boy from suburban georgia who was good at math on why the world isn't completely fair and everyone can float to the top like he did with a little gumption and bootstraps.

Anyway, 'referral to authority' or something was prominently on there and he stopped engaging with me the second time I pointed that out after he tried to use the poster on me. He left the poster up, though.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bideo James posted:

General reminder that Games has a "believe women" rules post and D&D does not.

It’s a pretty low bar to be more humane than fascists tbh

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Nothus posted:

You idiots killed traditional savings and pushed everyone into the market, and now you're complaining about it?

They're complaining that the people they pushed into the market are doing their best to keep it intact by playing it safe. You can't flim flam an index fund

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bideo James posted:

General reminder that Games has a "believe women" rules post and D&D does not.

it's so loving funny that of all places the SA video games forum learned 'oh, yea guys we should listen to victims even if our faves are being accused, protecting survivors of this stuff is more important than defending what we consume' before the very smart politics forum for good and moral people.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nothus posted:

i do like how she mentions gamestop in the opening, but doesn't go into all of the pants making GBS threads that happened over it

(tbf: a bunch of people did lose their shirts over doing the meme, but it turns out that hedge funds are susceptible to human wave attacks)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
if you want markets to function like markets, you have to disconnect the retirement/pension system from the markets.

as long as american retirements are tied to the market, number can only go up. its a ponzi scheme backed by the united states. the complete disconnect of the markets from reality, though, are eventually going to force the system to change.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Called me a girlboss when I don't even own a business I work in a

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

it's so loving funny that of all places the SA video games forum learned 'oh, yea guys we should listen to victims even if our faves are being accused, protecting survivors of this stuff is more important than defending what we consume' before the very smart politics forum for good and moral people.

Look Saint Franken died so that we can never care about this sort of thing again and maintain moral superiority.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

the market exists to make me lots of money if I don't make enough its broken and I'm gonna kill people. actually I'm gonna kill people anyway but maybe more or worse or whatever but also you'll have to listen to me whining about it constantly

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Mayor Dave posted:

They're complaining that the people they pushed into the market are doing their best to keep it intact by playing it safe. You can't flim flam an index fund

Literally the advice from every lib fact knower has been 'you put your money in an index fund and forget it!' for years now. Which I always took to mean, 'give wall street a 40 year, no interest loan/tithe of between 5 - 10% of your gross earnings and don't ever expect it back and don't ask any questions about what we're doing and if you try to retire on one of the Whammy Years ('86, '92, '00, 08, '21 or '22 cause lets face it) and your decades of savings aren't worth a pot of warm piss, well tough poo poo, even 'Perfect Strategy Sometimes Loses' and only a loser would take guaranteed returns of a pension over the big big money earnable on the wheel of stocks!

Anyway, as someone who pulled all my money out of the stock market back in Jan 2020, I am currently a Money Idiot, despite being a Money Genius for two weeks in March. I may be Money Smart again in the future, and expect to be, but for right now I don't know what I'm talking about. Disregard.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The market collapsing in on itself every 6-10 years is just indicative of its strength like how forests need wildfires to clear out the dead wood and facilitate growth.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

sexpig by night posted:

i wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket, the games #metoo thread violently whiplashes between believing accusations of Youtube Personality A vs Youtube Personality B

that said, there's sometimes a discussion going on and people are attempting to work through how they feel about things which is a massive leg up on d&d writ large lol

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Eggplant Squire posted:

The market collapsing in on itself every 6-10 years is just indicative of its strength like how forests need wildfires to clear out the dead wood and facilitate growth.

I agree we should set the trading floor on fire

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Josh Christ posted:

I agree we should set the trading floor on fire

only YOU can prevent market irrationality

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Eggplant Squire posted:

And just as all the koalas that cooked to death just trying to eat some leaves and chill become charcoal that fertilize the plains, every person who got a 401k instead of a pension must occasionally lose their homes so that the market can right itself and hit new peaks in ten years time.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Egg Moron posted:

Here are the good podcasts

TrueAnon

Radio war nerd

Democracy At Work

Blowback

Youtube videos of chris hedges

Nostalgia Trap is good

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol I don't know why this idiot even has a twitter account anymore, the replies are universally negative

https://twitter.com/kyrstensinema/status/1378784434267189254

e: lol

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1378858298921914372

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

PipHelix posted:

Literally the advice from every lib fact knower has been 'you put your money in an index fund and forget it!' for years now.

Searching Atlantic for 'Vanguard index fund'
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/the-crushingly-expensive-mistake-killing-your-retirement/283866/

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/03/smart-investing-is-easier-than-you-think/255007/

"So for the average consumer, smart retirement investing really is as simple as going here [link to vanguard] and clicking on the link corresponding to your expected retirement date."

1984 analogies are played as gently caress but it really is amazing how libs whiplash from 'Only idiots don't park all their investments in mutual funds' to 'All you idiots parked your poo poo in mutual funds, what's wrong with you' in the middle of their Two Minutes Scold with nary a moment of cognitive dissonance.

PipHelix has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Apr 6, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PipHelix posted:

Literally the advice from every lib fact knower has been 'you put your money in an index fund and forget it!' for years now. Which I always took to mean, 'give wall street a 40 year, no interest loan/tithe of between 5 - 10% of your gross earnings and don't ever expect it back and don't ask any questions about what we're doing and if you try to retire on one of the Whammy Years ('86, '92, '00, 08, '21 or '22 cause lets face it) and your decades of savings aren't worth a pot of warm piss, well tough poo poo, even 'Perfect Strategy Sometimes Loses' and only a loser would take guaranteed returns of a pension over the big big money earnable on the wheel of stocks!

Anyway, as someone who pulled all my money out of the stock market back in Jan 2020, I am currently a Money Idiot, despite being a Money Genius for two weeks in March. I may be Money Smart again in the future, and expect to be, but for right now I don't know what I'm talking about. Disregard.

in the present system, your choices are to either toss your money into long-term investments or work until you're dead

to avoid investing means you're either betting on dying early, the complete and catastrophic failure of global capitalism, or meaningful reform for workers that renders personal savings unnecessary

I don't love the odds

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I don't know why this idiot even has a twitter account anymore, the replies are universally negative

he don't miss

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

i had to look this up and not only did someone literally do this but it was a link to the ELI5 subreddit hahahahaha jfc

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

Lol fun fact min wage purchasing power actually peaked in 1968, that $1.60 was as good as it was ever gonna get

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

PipHelix posted:

Searching Atlantic for 'Vanguard index fund'
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/the-crushingly-expensive-mistake-killing-your-retirement/283866/

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/03/smart-investing-is-easier-than-you-think/255007/

"So for the average consumer, smart retirement investing really is as simple as going here [link to vanguard] and clicking on the link corresponding to your expected retirement date."

1984 analogies are played as gently caress but it really is amazing how libs whiplash from 'Only idiots don't park all their investments in mutual funds' to 'All you idiots parked your poo poo in mutual funds, what's wrong with you' in the middle of their Two Minutes Scold with nary a moment of cognitive dissonance.

big lol at the 2nd link being a megan mcardle joint

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

in the present system, your choices are to either toss your money into long-term investments or work until you're dead

to avoid investing means you're either betting on dying early, the complete and catastrophic failure of global capitalism, or meaningful reform for workers that renders personal savings unnecessary

I don't love the odds

Yea, no, I agree, however, I was old enough to have a job straight outta college that I hated and quit but did put a decent amount of matching funds in a retirement account. My dad used to handle taxes for me but a couple years back I figured I may as well learn. So I called him, got all my info, looked it up and what was worth 15k when I quit in 2007 was worth: 17k in 2017. That's like a 1.5% growth rate, across the longest bull market in history, but with one of the worst crashes averaged in. I feel like that's a fair average window, one decade, one crash, and one run, but again, Money Idiot.

I think that like with climate collapse, the severity and frequency of crises hitting us are making any advice based on long term past trends not really applicable. Boomers used to be able to ride out the slings and arrows and have a big fat pot waiting for them regardless, but in the future our options will be either die early, work till 85 and die standing up, or try to retire and realize the money you saved, again unless you got in at the absolute bottom of one of the crashes and cashed out in the absolute peak of the bull market, is worth about the same as if you'd parked it in CDs for the last 40 years.

E: I suppose in your choices I'm betting on a catastrophic failure of global capitalism but not a complete one. We're going to be trapped in this system for a few generations more at the least, but I firmly believe it's going to become more rigged, corrupt and impoverishing for anyone who doesn't own a hedge fund - That one fund did 'go down to a human wave attack' but then they got bailed out immediately by another hedge fund and was fine a week later, while all the Redditors who tried to buy their way out of the dip lost their shirts. No individuals got bailed out in 2000, no individuals got bailed out in 2008, and sure as poo poo no one is getting bailed out in 202x's big NFT collapse or whatever it is that does it. Ya already got 1400 and a month's rent waiver, Jack, cut this handout malarkey!

PipHelix has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Apr 6, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

i had to look this up and not only did someone literally do this but it was a link to the ELI5 subreddit hahahahaha jfc

there is a certain higher standard that we expect from our debater-gladiators

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Insanite posted:

there is a certain higher standard that we expect from our debater-gladiators

Drake no - Debater gladiators
Drake yes - Domestic gladio haters

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

love to restore the soul of the nation

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1379425890258534400

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"...particularly when faced with substantial and potentially overwhelming enemy forces in the early stages of combat."

Translation: China

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

The soul of the nation feeds on the suffering of other nations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/1379454509580161028

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

In a lot of cases having a sign that says "minefield" is just as good as having an actual minefield.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

witchy posted:

its weaponized incrementalism. we've finally reached phase II of part B subsection 7s of step 1, great things are surely around the corner! people incredibly invested in the absurd kabuki of Consulting the Parliamentarian, Wooing Manchin and Banishing the Filibuster

Oh so Manchin and the Parliamentarian and Mitch McConnel shouldn't be consulted, shouldn't get a say?! C-Spammers are saying they don't believe in asking for enthusiastic consent first? :mods:

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

new admin who dis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lol

could literally be done overnight