Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
They indeed did nuke the old wishlist back when they made the new webstore. Sony really does not care about your desire to purchase anything not on the PS4 or PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
They're just content servers for chrissake how expensive can that possibly be

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Well the content servers have to stay up (at least for some time) anyway, as they will still let you redownload previously purchased content. It's just the actual store that goes away.

How expensive that is is hard to say... but I'd assume it costs them more in maintenance than they're gaining back in terms of actual purchases that are still made on those platforms? Either that or some license is running out somewhere they don't care enough to renew.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
What doesn't make any sense is that they programmed a new store for the ps4 and ps5. Why not have one unified storefront?

Bullshit like this is why people deride downloadable games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

What doesn't make any sense is that they programmed a new store for the ps4 and ps5. Why not have one unified storefront?

Did you see how well the 'unified' store for PS3/4 went? It was dogass on both of them, especially PS3.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

That's Sony's fault for not making a better product. Steam has worked fine for a long, long time on multiple OS's and infinite numbers of hardware configurations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Okay but in your idea it's still Sony making it, so

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah, the new store is even worse, absolutely no resources went into anything other than finding a way to cram as many ads in as possible.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because that would almost certainly involve firmware updates for the PSP/Vita/PS3 if the console-side of the storefront needed to be changed to actually benefit from whatever changes they’ve made to unify the store like they have now. That’s probably more work than it’s worth to them.

I’d also rather they left those firmwares alone so they don’t try and slip in anymore patches to prevent homebrew, since if they were going to go to the effort of updating the consoles just to be able to sell you games then they’d probably want to make sure they cut off the exploits that let you not have to buy those games at the same time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t worry when the new u I died ps5/ps6 store comes out, the ps4 will have the same problem.

Sony just sucks at online stores, which is mindblowing given the resources they have at hand

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Judging by the new webstore I'm guessing the ps6 store will be completely impossible to navigate or read.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The ps6 store will just be a giant square marked BUY GAME that you click and it deducts 80 bucks from your account and gives you a random game.

Edit: I know not what you will use to buy ps6 games, but ps7 games will be bought on an interface made from sticks and stones

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 6, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Add a jpeg of an anime girl and sony would be set for life.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because that would almost certainly involve firmware updates for the PSP/Vita/PS3 if the console-side of the storefront needed to be changed to actually benefit from whatever changes they’ve made to unify the store like they have now. That’s probably more work than it’s worth to them.

I’d also rather they left those firmwares alone so they don’t try and slip in anymore patches to prevent homebrew, since if they were going to go to the effort of updating the consoles just to be able to sell you games then they’d probably want to make sure they cut off the exploits that let you not have to buy those games at the same time.

This. I bought a Vita because it's dead and safe to mod. If that means the store goes down then so be it. For now I will happily buy Vita games on my Vita.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, the new store is even worse, absolutely no resources went into anything other than finding a way to cram as many ads in as possible.

I once heard that website UI is constantly getting worse just about everywhere because the execs know they want high "engagement" (more time spent on the site, more clicks) and the easiest way for the site designers to make that happen is to make it harder to find and use the content you want on the site. If you're spending more time navigating the new web store ever since the redesign (because it sucks), then they're counting that as a success, because your 'engagement' stats went up.

I really don't want to believe it but this poo poo just keeps happening!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I recently watched a video on the development of Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, and I had no idea there was an official english release a few years ago. Was it ever actually available for purchase on PSN? Is there still a way to legitimately buy it on Vita/PSP?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

xedo posted:

I once heard that website UI is constantly getting worse just about everywhere because the execs know they want high "engagement" (more time spent on the site, more clicks) and the easiest way for the site designers to make that happen is to make it harder to find and use the content you want on the site. If you're spending more time navigating the new web store ever since the redesign (because it sucks), then they're counting that as a success, because your 'engagement' stats went up.

I really don't want to believe it but this poo poo just keeps happening!

The game pages on the web store don't even have any screenshots or videos to see what the game is like (IIRC they used to have these for every single game but they were gone after the PS5 redesign) idk how they expect anyone to buy games they don't already know

I haven't been able to get a PS5 so I don't know what the store is like on the actual console

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

I recently watched a video on the development of Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, and I had no idea there was an official english release a few years ago. Was it ever actually available for purchase on PSN? Is there still a way to legitimately buy it on Vita/PSP?

Yes, it was only available through PSN (iirc no physical release), and it's still available now - just searched it through the Vita storefront and it's $30

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Although, it's recommended to get the PC version as the translation was updated to be in line with the series, plus it has QoL features added as well.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

The game pages on the web store don't even have any screenshots or videos to see what the game is like (IIRC they used to have these for every single game but they were gone after the PS5 redesign) idk how they expect anyone to buy games they don't already know

I haven't been able to get a PS5 so I don't know what the store is like on the actual console

It's bad on the ps5 as well, no cart that I have seen. There's a 'Get It' button that instantly charges your card and reddit is filled with posts of people pissed off because they accidentally bought something they didn't want and sony will not give refunds. Oh also, theres no prices displayed, they are hidden.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 6, 2021

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

RadicalR posted:

Although, it's recommended to get the PC version as the translation was updated to be in line with the series, plus it has QoL features added as well.

That's good to know, I knew it was on PC but had no idea about the updates. Now I just need to finally get around to finishing First Chapter.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh also, theres no prices displayed, they are hidden.

The buy button has the price right on it, what are you talking about?

Excuse the overlay, I used remote play to fire up my console quickly because this sounded insane:

Edit: also not seeing any way to one-click a purchase because anything I try to buy asks me to confirm the payment method and accept the terms and conditions, so I don’t know what people are doing wrong but whatever it is it’s not universal.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 6, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I only used it back in october, perhaps they've added some things

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It's bad on the ps5 as well, no cart that I have seen. There's a 'Get It' button that instantly charges your card and reddit is filled with posts of people pissed off because they accidentally bought something they didn't want and sony will not give refunds. Oh also, theres no prices displayed, they are hidden.

I only used it back in october, perhaps they've added some things

:magemage:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

RadicalR posted:

I have the fan translation of Trails in the Sky Evo (the Vita versions, I guess they're Evo?)

I really don't want to start over on the PC, so I hope the fan translation is accurate.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Lol, whenever it cane out

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Annath posted:

I have the fan translation of Trails in the Sky Evo (the Vita versions, I guess they're Evo?)

I really don't want to start over on the PC, so I hope the fan translation is accurate.

I believe you are good. Those are using the pc translations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Lol, whenever it cane out

October and November is a huge difference. They can be as far as a day apart!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 8, 2021

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Mind sending me the code so I can archive it?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/mmrz7p/i_am_a_former_sony_employee_ama/

Very interesting AMA with a Sony employee who worked close with the Vita. One of the takeaways is that Sony would have continued (minimally) supporting the Vita, had it not been for the hacking/homebrew scene. Another interesting response:

"They have good telemetry, specifically when you're playing a game you don't have a license for. They also have telemetry to see the names of apps you're running. In other words, yes they know who those people are."

Makes me a little more nervous about running homebrew apps. Maybe best to use them while disconnected from online services?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why would they care at this point

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sounding a whole lot like a Dreamcast failure excuse "it was the hacking that did us in guyz! You are to blame"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the upper management is clearly just trying to pass the buck. They crippled the Vita from day one with the mem cards, 3G model, lack of first and second party support, made the thing too drat expensive.

Imagine if the Vita had no back touch, maybe no fronttouch, SD cards for memory, USB C charging, and was 50$ cheaper. We'd all be playing the Vita 2 right now

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

kinda funny that the memory card was to negate pirating, supposedly. Bad enough that there's freaking adapters so you can just use a micro sd card, I mean lmao. The vita was too ahead of its time. I could play online and use a bluetooth mic: wild. It did have a lot of things no one wanted/needed, and the 3G implementation was a complete joke

iirc for the 3G you could only use it for, uh, web browsing? Like you couldn't play games online? lolol

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would they care at this point

Never say never, I guess?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

sounding a whole lot like a Dreamcast failure excuse "it was the hacking that did us in guyz! You are to blame"

Sony probably only allocated so many resources towards supporting the Vita in any capacity, and once those resources have to be spent towards combating hacking and piracy, then it's not worth it at that point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did USB-C even exist when the vita came out?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Did USB-C even exist when the vita came out?

nah but the OLED one had a proprietary cable

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

One of the takeaways is that Sony would have continued (minimally) supporting the Vita, had it not been for the hacking/homebrew scene.
He specifically mentions the 2011 PSN hack which was a big event for Sony, even though I think that was only tangentially related to the PS3 hacking that was taking place at the same time--that is, Anonymous hacked PSN in response to Sony taking legal action against geohot/fail0verflow after they thoroughly broke the PS3, but the PSN hack itself didn't have much bearing on PS3 homebrew.

Sony fought against PSP hackers for years only to give up in 2011 after the PSP EBOOT encryption keys were discovered as part of the PS3 hacks. Of course, the PSP was effectively EOL at this point as Sony was transitioning to the Vita, so previously I assumed it was just coincidence.

Let's be honest, homebrewers have done far more for the Vita since it was hacked than whatever Sony's official support would've amounted to. No real loss there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Sony probably only allocated so many resources towards supporting the Vita in any capacity, and once those resources have to be spent towards combating hacking and piracy, then it's not worth it at that point.

I think the point is that we have no way to prove otherwise, and it looks better (for Sony execs) for Sony to blame things on outside forces. The fact that the only real evidence that they tried to cut down on exploits is the occasional rare firmware update sort of points to it being a thing that wasn't really a huge suck on resources. There was no Nintendo-like series of banwaves (assuming the telemetry isn't a lie as well), and no attempt to otherwise deal with things as far as I'm aware.