Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The lasers symbolize grief.

What are lasers, if not pew-pew persisting?

Edit:Pew-sisting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So excited for a Fraction "Hawk Guy" series, but meh on Jeremy Renner as a central lead. Could be interesting if they lean into the full thematic arc of the comic, though.

EDIT: They can't though, can they? So much of the comic is based on him being single (you know because of the emotional inaccessibility and refusal to ask for help), so I don't know how it works if the movies made him the stable family man.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 6, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

So excited for a Fraction "Hawk Guy" series, but meh on Jeremy Renner as a central lead. Could be interesting if they lean into the full thematic arc of the comic, though.

Renner's given some good performances before in non-MCU movies, which leads me to believe that it's the character.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Renner is a huge weird dork irl but he's a decent actor, man

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

EDIT: They can't though, can they? So much of the comic is based on him being single (you know because of the emotional inaccessibility and refusal to ask for help), so I don't know how it works if the movies made him the stable family man.
They're just taking the superficial elements and making it about Clint training Kate to be his direct successor. The going theory is that Clint pissed off the mob during the Blip, Kate's going to be tied to that in a way that makes them intersect with her living in an NYC apartment. Throw in some tracksuits and the dog and the rooftop scene and you've got MCU Hawkguy.

live with fruit posted:

Renner's given some good performances before in non-MCU movies, which leads me to believe that it's the character.
It's the writing. They consistently found the most boring version of Hawkeye possible. First they bench him with brainwashing for an entire movie, then Whedon makes the joke "ha ha Hawkeye is the emotionally adjusted one," followed by one movie of Hawkeye being the arrogant dick that makes him enjoyable to watch... which then got undone so we could have grimdark Ronin Hawkeye because he was like that for five minutes in 2004 and it's another action figure to sell. It's lame as gently caress and Renner isn't at fault.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

live with fruit posted:

Yeah, this is what I was speaking to in the second half. I think if they pull through the character study of the Fraction run, I think he can pull it off. If it's "MCU Hawkeye, but he's got a dog and a (not)sidekick," I'm less interested.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure Renner has gone on record about how he was sold a completely different character to the one they ended up writing, and that has to suck. I don't know much about him as an actor but the Wanda bonding scene was pretty good, I look forward to more of that.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Hawkeye in Phase 1 has been terrible, even by Phase 1 standards, but I liked him a lot in Civil War and even Endgame. I can see them writing a good Hawkeye, even when he gets a lot of screen time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Civil War's Hawkeye is how Hawkeye should have been the entire time-- arrogant as balls and unashamed of it.

"Really? I retired for, what, like 5 minutes? And it all goes to poo poo."

"We haven't met yet, I'm Clint."
"I don't care."

"The Futurist, Gentlemen! The Futurist is here! He sees all! He knows what's best for you whether you like it or not."
"Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'd put you here, come on."
"Yeah, well, you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony."
"Yeah, but not some Supermax floating ocean pokey, you know. This place is for maniacs, it's a place for-"
"Criminals. Criminals, Tony. I think that's the word you're looking for. Right? It didn't use to mean me. Or Sam, or Wanda. But here we are."
"Because you broke the law."
"Yeah. La, la, la, la, la..."
"I didn't make you. You read it, you broke it. Alright. You all grown up, got a wife and kids. I don't understand, why didn't you think of them before you chose the wrong side?"
"You gotta watch your back with this guy. There's a chance he's gonna break it."

You can tell Renner was enjoying the poo poo out of it too. It also still squares nicely with the "Emotional Support Pillar" thing Whedon ran with.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shoulda been Coulson.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sloth Life posted:

I'm pretty sure Renner has gone on record about how he was sold a completely different character to the one they ended up writing, and that has to suck. I don't know much about him as an actor but the Wanda bonding scene was pretty good, I look forward to more of that.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that they sold him on a different character, he just didn't know he was playing Clint Barton/Hawkeye.

mind the walrus posted:

Civil War's Hawkeye is how Hawkeye should have been the entire time-- arrogant as balls and unashamed of it.

"Really? I retired for, what, like 5 minutes? And it all goes to poo poo."

"We haven't met yet, I'm Clint."
"I don't care."

"The Futurist, Gentlemen! The Futurist is here! He sees all! He knows what's best for you whether you like it or not."
"Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'd put you here, come on."
"Yeah, well, you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony."
"Yeah, but not some Supermax floating ocean pokey, you know. This place is for maniacs, it's a place for-"
"Criminals. Criminals, Tony. I think that's the word you're looking for. Right? It didn't use to mean me. Or Sam, or Wanda. But here we are."
"Because you broke the law."
"Yeah. La, la, la, la, la..."
"I didn't make you. You read it, you broke it. Alright. You all grown up, got a wife and kids. I don't understand, why didn't you think of them before you chose the wrong side?"
"You gotta watch your back with this guy. There's a chance he's gonna break it."

You can tell Renner was enjoying the poo poo out of it too. It also still squares nicely with the "Emotional Support Pillar" thing Whedon ran with.

The best one is still him mentioning retiring and playing gold, played 18 holes, shot 18 hole in ones, he just doesn't miss. (This is literally impossible on most golf courses because of course length).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lord_Magmar posted:

The best one is still him mentioning retiring and playing gold, played 18 holes, shot 18 hole in ones, he just doesn't miss. (This is literally impossible on most golf courses because of course length).

It's also not like you can see the flag/hole from a lot of starting points, so he wouldn't even have much beyond a general direction to aim in. He'd have to have exceptional eyesight beyond the human range, some level of superhuman strength and superhuman hand/eye coordination to do it. Still a fun line either way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Could he make the shot with a satellite image of the course or like even just a super accurate map?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Maybe Hawkeye only has a par 3 course nearby

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

tsob posted:

It's also not like you can see the flag/hole from a lot of starting points, so he wouldn't even have much beyond a general direction to aim in. He'd have to have exceptional eyesight beyond the human range, some level of superhuman strength and superhuman hand/eye coordination to do it. Still a fun line either way.

You're usually allowed to look at the hole in it's entirety with a buggy, so at least he could get a mental map of what shot he's making, but it's still an incredibly implausible record. The hand/eye co-ordination and eyesight is definitely true though given his archery tricks (including a literal backwards headshot without even looking, or the USB arrow thing).

Bust Rodd posted:

Could he make the shot with a satellite image of the course or like even just a super accurate map?

He probably could, and it's much funnier if you think he played 18 holes of mini-golf with his kids and is just making fun of that fact.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's interesting that they pivoted from Jensen Ackles to Jeremy Renner coming off of back to back Oscar nominations. Which is nothing against Ackles but Renner was definitely on a different level.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that they sold him on a different character, he just didn't know he was playing Clint Barton/Hawkeye.

This is what I meant
https://www.hindustantimes.com/holl...I2yXTGVtUL.html

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oh wow, that's entirely fair of him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Another actor upset with what Whedon did to his character.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s absolutely bizarre to think of people like Whedon having so much control over such a wide swath of culture and how it reflects their lovely personal qualities back at us magnified 10,000x in IMAX and immortalized forever as canon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lord_Magmar posted:

He probably could, and it's much funnier if you think he played 18 holes of mini-golf with his kids and is just making fun of that fact.

You know, the idea of him doing it in mini-golf is so fun that's gonna be my headcanon now to avoid needing to wonder about how he could manage such a thing without superpowers and/or him just lying about it because it sounds good.

That said, I just watched an interesting FATWS video positing that the show has been re-written following the Coronavirus becoming such a major issue. The main thrust of the theory being that there seems to be some ADR going on with people speaking off screen about tuberculosis, but never actually speaking those lines on screen along with the vagueness of what kind of resources the Flagsmashers are going after and some early reports (like this) from roughly Feb 2020 about the show originally having had a plot beat about a pandemic that was being re-written because it was too globally sensitive an issue.

None of it is confirmed of course, but the idea seems plausible. The fact the Flagsmashers are stealing supplies but we're never really told what kind of supplies, that Mama Donya died of Tuberculosis, which has a known cure, that we're never really told what the Flagsmashers miss about the world pre-Blip beyond something vague about lack of borders and that America is so gung-ho about finding the Flagsmashers gave the guy the idea that maybe what was originally set to happen was that after the snap some kind of virus breaks out, but because the world is so disorganized that once a cure was found that pretty much everyone was given it in equal measure; nation, class, race etc. weren't an issue, because the world was in such disarray. Then when the Blip happened, suddenly a load of people came back, rules started slotting into place, and the cure started being withheld from vulnerable communities in favour of with-holding for the rich. At which point America wanted to grab it's due of the cure, so when the Flagsmashers steal cures earmarked for America to give to refugee camps, Washington sics the new Captain America on them and both Bucky and Sam have a more plausible reason to want to find them so badly; since without knowing the full story about virus equity etc. they just think they're stealing something that everyone needs to give to their own.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 6, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Lord_Magmar posted:

Have you ever played a proper mini-golf course that got harder with each hole? If I had to play mini-golf with Clint, I’d rage quit after the first loving windmill.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be perfectly honest when I heard that line I thought he meant he went to an archery range or something because the idea of Clint making Par 5+ holes in 1 shot was too much even while I watched a man in a robot suit threaten a witch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In my ongoing quest to get people to read more comic books: the Fraction/Aja on Hawkeye run is 22 self-contained issues, requires almost no knowledge of continuity, develops a minor character from a different team book into a fan favorite, is hilarious, has gorgeous, dynamic, fun art laid out in interesting ways and is available in its entirety on Marvel Unlimited.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They also dramatically cut down on her face makeup and practical effects as time went on.

Dark Phoenix was exceptionally terrible for myriad reasons, but that photo of Mystique is a perfect encapsulation of how no one gave a single flying gently caress at that point, and the end result was just :effort:.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

But also Clint Barton is literally superhuman by any reasonable real world metric. He does impossible things with his bow and arrow and is accurate in ways that not even the greatest olympian can be (and is explicitly that accurate with every possible form of aiming, golf, bow and arrow, guns, darts, literally anything you aim and use at long distance he is perfect with no matter what barring actual physical inability to make that long a shot).

He uses a bow and arrow because it's more challenging to have to get within range of a bow and arrow as a sniper over using an actual sniper rifle, also because it's easier to sneak past border control and lets him use a bunch of trick arrows that would be impractical for someone without his accuracy.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

zoux posted:

In my ongoing quest to get people to read more comic books: the Fraction/Aja on Hawkeye run is 22 self-contained issues, requires almost no knowledge of continuity, develops a minor character from a different team book into a fan favorite, is hilarious, has gorgeous, dynamic, fun art laid out in interesting ways and is available in its entirety on Marvel Unlimited.

My only reservation with recommending Marvel Unlimited is that I believe they started alternating Clint and Kate focused issues at some point, which I've heard can get laggy. It may not be a big deal if you're not waiting two months to get back to each storyline, but the trades collect each character's arc in separate volumes.

If you already have MU, and you're willing to bounce back and forth between the individual issues, it's absolutely worth it.

EDIT: So Falcon and Winter Soldier just isn't worth extended discussion, huh?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Lord_Magmar posted:

But also Clint Barton is literally superhuman by any reasonable real world metric. He does impossible things with his bow and arrow and is accurate in ways that not even the greatest olympian can be (and is explicitly that accurate with every possible form of aiming, golf, bow and arrow, guns, darts, literally anything you aim and use at long distance he is perfect with no matter what barring actual physical inability to make that long a shot).

He uses a bow and arrow because it's more challenging to have to get within range of a bow and arrow as a sniper over using an actual sniper rifle, also because it's easier to sneak past border control and lets him use a bunch of trick arrows that would be impractical for someone without his accuracy.

So you’re saying if they invented a boxing glove bullet, he would switch to a gun

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

So you’re saying if they invented a boxing glove bullet, he would switch to a gun

USB Bullet.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

To be perfectly honest when I heard that line I thought he meant he went to an archery range or something because the idea of Clint making Par 5+ holes in 1 shot was too much even while I watched a man in a robot suit threaten a witch.

It was frolf.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

It wasn't the X-men jump suit.

During her "nude" scenes in the first few movies, they used textured full-body makeup like they did in the original movies. In the last few movies, they cut almost all of it out and just had her wear a smooth blue leotard with no texturing and added CGI.

They also dramatically cut down on her face makeup and practical effects as time went on.

iirc, Lawrence was only originally contracted to appear in three films. I'm guessing that not having to spend as much time in makeup was one of her preconditions to return for a fourth (possibly along with her part being reduced and character being killed off, that wouldn't surprise me tbh)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barry Convex posted:

iirc, Lawrence was only originally contracted to appear in three films.

She and Fassbender were both signed to three-picture deals just before they exploded in popularity, yes, so they got paid peanuts, and Lawrence insisted that her makeup be reduced in complexity as a condition to not hold out on Days of Future Past and Apocalypse.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

It wasn't the X-men jump suit.

During her "nude" scenes in the first few movies, they used textured full-body makeup like they did in the original movies. In the last few movies, they cut almost all of it out and just had her wear a smooth blue leotard with no texturing and added CGI.

Fox X-Men should have finished after Days of Future Past

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Geo Fixer posted:

Fox X-Men should have finished after Days of Future Past

That'd mean no Logan and no Deadpool films, so I doubt you'll get much agreement with that. No core X-Men films? Sure, though I never saw anything after First Class (and I only saw that because a friend bought a ticket for me after I said I wasn't going to pay to see an X-Men film), but no films at all? Nope.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Timby posted:

She and Fassbender were both signed to three-picture deals just before they exploded in popularity, yes, so they got paid peanuts, and Lawrence insisted that her makeup be reduced in complexity as a condition to not hold out on Days of Future Past and Apocalypse.

well, you can see from the pics that the makeup in DOFP and Apocalypse was basically the same as in First Class, though I think a larger percentage of her scenes in DoFP and Apocalypse had her in human form, so maybe that kinda balanced out. it was only in Dark Phoenix where the makeup was greatly simplified

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's best to think of it as the Wolverine series. If he's not in it, don't watch it. Except Apocalypse. Don't watch Apocalypse.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barry Convex posted:

well, you can see from the pics that the makeup in DOFP and Apocalypse was basically the same as in First Class, though I think a larger percentage of her scenes in DoFP and Apocalypse had her in human form, so maybe that kinda balanced out. it was only in Dark Phoenix where the makeup was greatly simplified

She was wearing a leotard in both Future Past and Apocalypse. It reduced her makeup time from about six to seven hours on First Class to a little under two hours on Future Past.

live with fruit posted:

It's best to think of it as the Wolverine series. If he's not in it, don't watch it. Except Apocalypse. Don't watch Apocalypse.

This is truth. It was on FX the last time I was in the hospital, when I was getting 2mg of dilaudid every two hours via IV, and even that amount of pain medicine couldn't make that piece of poo poo movie tolerable. Casting Oscar Isaac and then making him up to look like Ivan Ooze is one of many sins for which Bryan Singer can never be forgiven.

Hell, Paul Freeman as Ivan Ooze would have been more entertaining than the version of Apocalypse we got in that movie.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Barry Convex posted:

I still can't get over the cheap looking wig she is using in Dark Phoenix. That was peak "we don't care".

Welp, I do hope that if they are bringing Mystique to the MCU they drop the naked blue lady poo poo and at least give her something similar to her old classic costume (I haven't read X-men in a while so I dunno if they have changed the white dress-thing she wears).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

live with fruit posted:

Fun Fact: Olivia Munn was originally cast as Vanessa in Deadpool, but turned it down and managed to negotiate her way into playing Psylocke in Apocalypse.

She turned down Deadpool because she wanted to be in a movie series with "longevity and substance" and that she would be playing a role that was "just eye candy."

Then, she had 4 minutes in Apocalypse (which basically killed the longevity of the franchise) where she was dressed like this:

Also, her character just walks off to parts unknown and is never addressed again.

To be fair, betting on Apocalypse over Deadpool probably seemed like the right move at that point.

Never trust Bryan Singer.

It is pretty amazing that they even made another attempt after Apocalypse and they so clearly half-assed everything about Dark Phoenix.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For me peak "We don't care" was at the end of Apocalypse when it shows the X-Men in "comics accurate" costumes and it's painfully clear they were all thrown together in an afternoon and are so badly tailored at least half the cast looks like they're wearing diapers.