Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh i've been prepared for that. but i wasn't prepared for this at all! the world started so nicely too with the party being integrated very naturally into the goings-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

LegionAreI posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 on PC trip report: The camera is still god awful even with the stick control. It doesn't help that what I thought were amazing environments 20 years ago are in actuality extremely small and can't handle free camera movement anyway.

The free camera was completely freaking out on me in the small area of the Tarzan world where you're inside the waterfall. I've kind of just accepted that it's hosed and I'm otherwise enjoying the game. The only other issue I've had was with controller mapping being all over the place when I started. Apparently that's a known thing with Square Enix games, plugging my controller in with the USB 3.0 cable set everything straight for whatever reason.

Thought KH1 might not hold up by modern standards after not playing it for 20 years but it's actually still enjoyable enough so far even though the Tarzan world had an absurd amount of back and forth backtracking to pad out the small environment. Playing on proud mode and it's giving me a solid challenge so far, most enemies will two-shot me at this point but I think it should get easier now that I have the heal spell. I don't remember the game being anywhere near this hard, either I didn't play on hardest the first time or they significantly ramped up the highest difficulty for 1.5 Remix.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

oh i've been prepared for that. but i wasn't prepared for this at all! the world started so nicely too with the party being integrated very naturally into the goings-on.

Kingdom of Corona is at least a decent level with some good platforming sections, Arendelle is :effort:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

not in the slightest. it's probably happening but not any time soon.

WrightOfWay posted:

I think most Epic exclusivity deals last a year.

Thanks, I know that things usually get a year long deal with Epic but it's weird that nothing else has been said about it heading to other storefronts at a later date. I think most titles do. Really stoked to play these games again and I might just get and get EGS for them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

All of them are still 20% off for a launch celebration so now would really be the best time to get into it if you don't want to wait too long.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I dunno I think it's kind of adorable how the devs are obviously big fans of the Disney stuff and went out of their way to just completely recreate cool fun scenes from the movies. Also some serious animation flexing. That said I think I did appreciate Toy Story having an original plot way more. I know Monsters Inc and Big Hero 6 follow that same trend. Though I've never seen the latter actually.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I dunno I think it's kind of adorable how the devs are obviously big fans of the Disney stuff and went out of their way to just completely recreate cool fun scenes from the movies.

i really doubt those beat-by-beat recreations were by choice as opposed to fiat from disney's legal team

wonder how many rounds of pushme-pullyou SE had to go through with disney in the process of making those stages as opposed to the pixar ones

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The most incredible part of Corona is because of the focus on Sora making Rapunzel happy and playing with her and showing her excitement (up to outright dancing with her) and none of the stuff with Eugene is in, the fact that Rapunzel and Eugene end up together is incredibly baffling when Sora's been basically hard flirting with her the entire time, going all out on impressing her and cheering her up.

Also, the way the worlds work for Kingdom Hearts is that they have to consult whatever team at Disney made the original movie, so stuff that's old is a lot easier to do whatever with (although likely they still have to talk to Disney's legal/overarching team) but new stuff needs approval from teams that still exist. So the contents of the Disney Worlds is because the Disney creators had specific (potentially company mandated) opinions and ideas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
The romance is cut so thoroughly from that world that when Eugene said he "has a thing for brunettes" I thought he meant Sora for half a second.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MorningMoon posted:

The romance is cut so thoroughly from that world that when Eugene said he "has a thing for brunettes" I thought he meant Sora for half a second.

If Sora was a proper anime protagonist, he would have

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tangled was the only movie I hadn't seen before playing kh3 and I feel like that ended up really negatively impacting my enjoyment of that world

never felt that way about other stuff I hadn't seen, like tron legacy in ddd

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

They skip like all the plot where Rapunzel and Flynn actually bond, you get a cliffnotes version of the movie even beyond what Disney worlds usually do. I mean it still gives you the important bits but yeah.

Tangled itself is a pretty cool movie, recommend giving it a watch sometime. It's really cute when it's not being uncomfortably accurate about abusive parents.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Blasted through some more KH1 - the Ursula fight wasn't as horrible as I remember, but the camera decided to gently caress me over on the Oogie Boogie roulette fight of all things. I don't remember not being able to see him at all without pogoing up and down like a jackrabbit to find the right button. That was extremely frustrating.

I also feel this game is a lot shorter than I remember. Maybe because I am dredging up half-remembered memories of where the gently caress to go in these maze stages.

I will say the trumpet remix of Under the Sea is going to stick with me for a goddamn week.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
KH2 Terra having complete invincibility during all of his attacks is such bullshit, because nothing could be further from the actual BBS experience. :argh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spergatory posted:

KH2 Terra having complete invincibility during all of his attacks is such bullshit, because nothing could be further from the actual BBS experience. :argh:

What’s the biggest downgrade, boss fight Magus to playable Magus, Lingering Will to BBS Terra, or Yozora to FFXV Noctis?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lingering Will to BBS Terra definitely, being the big strong one in a game where enemies don’t stagger consistently is a pretty huge downgrade to soul crushing super boss. And all Magus loses is HP, he still had all his fancy nukes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Also being the heavy slow guy but also being the character with the least i-frames or superarmor hurts him a ton.

I'd like to believe that the non-sentient armor is smarter than Terra and is thus aware of how to have superarmor on its moves.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Lingering Will to BBS Terra definitely, being the big strong one in a game where enemies don’t stagger consistently is a pretty huge downgrade to soul crushing super boss. And all Magus loses is HP, he still had all his fancy nukes.

In fact I would argue that Terra is probably the worst of the 3 playable characters in BBS. He’s got slightly higher strength but his attacks are slow, his dodge isn’t as effective as the others, and as mentioned enemies don’t stagger in that game.

Meanwhile Aqua is something of a glass cannon at the start but once you build her up a bit she suddenly becomes incredibly useful (she also casts Reflect when guarding and her dodge roll gives her invincibility frames)

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It's definitely not the biggest downgrade, but while playing as Roxas in Re:Mind is fun, he doesn't quite compare to the absolute shitkicker he was as a boss and isn't as untouchable as he was as a party member in the base game Saix fight. (Even on critical, I don't think he takes damage once as an NPC. I hung around in the background for a while and let him beat Saix's rear end, it seemed like he was having a good time.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

effervescible posted:

It's definitely not the biggest downgrade, but while playing as Roxas in Re:Mind is fun, he doesn't quite compare to the absolute shitkicker he was as a boss and isn't as untouchable as he was as a party member in the base game Saix fight. (Even on critical, I don't think he takes damage once as an NPC. I hung around in the background for a while and let him beat Saix's rear end, it seemed like he was having a good time.)

I’m still amused by the fact that you can basically just hang back and let the AI Roxas fight the boss for you (in fact, the game itself even suggests this if you die during that fight)

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
He has a lot of aggression to work out and he's been trapped without a body for months. He deserves to cut loose and enjoy himself.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

effervescible posted:

Roxas' level is set to 99 to that fight, while everyone else matches Sora's level, which I find incredibly funny.

This ice-cream loving doofus who's been alive for like two years tops completely outclasses Sora in a fight.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

LegionAreI posted:

Blasted through some more KH1 - the Ursula fight wasn't as horrible as I remember, but the camera decided to gently caress me over on the Oogie Boogie roulette fight of all things. I don't remember not being able to see him at all without pogoing up and down like a jackrabbit to find the right button. That was extremely frustrating.

I also feel this game is a lot shorter than I remember. Maybe because I am dredging up half-remembered memories of where the gently caress to go in these maze stages.

I will say the trumpet remix of Under the Sea is going to stick with me for a goddamn week.

For the second Ursula fight if it didn’t have those little homing lightning attacks that always hit you it would be a much better boss fight.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
What's so frustrating about KH3 is that it's clear that Pixar was willing and gung-ho to engage with Kingdom Hearts' personal brand of nonsense, so as a result the Toy Story and Monsters Inc. worlds have original storylines with fun ties to the bigger picture, and they set the bar so high. Meanwhile the rest of Disney at best barely even tries, and at worst is Frozen.

disney sucks

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The game has been in production since before Pixar was bought fully by Disney so that probably had something to do with it. Pretty telling it seems they want to start heading into Square IP instead of dealing with Disney’s hellscape of copyright protection.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, with the next game bringing in the concept of “fictional” worlds I wonder if they’ll take this opportunity to start doing some worlds based on Square properties rather than/in addition to the Disney ones.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we jump straight to KH4 next time (meaning we likely won’t be getting it any time soon)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 6, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Invalid Validation posted:

The game has been in production since before Pixar was bought fully by Disney so that probably had something to do with it. Pretty telling it seems they want to start heading into Square IP instead of dealing with Disney’s hellscape of copyright protection.

Nomura did not want to and potentially did not, start work on KH3 until he had confirmed or denied Toy Story was allowed. Anecdotally.

Also KH3 likely only truly started production around 2015.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Was this all before or after Nomura lost FFXV and went from "Sora and Noxis are my best boys" to "I envision myself as Sora's enemy." ?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Big Hero 6 Disney or Pixar?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Big Hero 6 Disney or Pixar?

Disney, though oddly enough that world was a lot better at integrating Sora and co. into the story (along with being a brand new scenario like the Pixar worlds were)

My only real issue is that the city is too drat big and easy to get lost in.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 6, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

3 seems to in general be a bit too in love with its newfound capability to use massive environments for general gameplay and display massive amounts of enemies

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, with the next game bringing in the concept of “fictional” worlds I wonder if they’ll take this opportunity to start doing some worlds based on Square properties rather than/in addition to the Disney ones.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we jump straight to KH4 next time (meaning we likely won’t be getting it any time soon)

We're definitely getting something next year, though what that is we'll see

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So are we all in agreement that Terra has easily the worst English VA out of the "main" cast? I have yet to hear a single convincing or natural sounding line read from this dude. Which... you know, given what he's got to work with, I might be willing to cut him some slack, but every other KH VA has to deal with the same level of schlock, and they generally manage to make it work.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The brand control on Frozen always struck me as being super restrictive; Once Upon a Time is a show that takes Disney properties (fairy tales, but they use names and extra characters invented by Disney) and twists them all around to be obviously not the same universe as the animated films they're drawn from, but when they did a Frozen crossover it was very noticable how they made sure every single facet of it could plausibly be in continuity with the film. And no, the show isn't good, don't watch it, but they did do a better job of integrating with Frozen than KH3 did :v:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Frozen is the biggest animated Disney property by quite a bit so it's not super surprising that the team in charge of it is pretty protective. Wouldn't want to damage ~the brand~ in any way, after all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Spergatory posted:

So are we all in agreement that Terra has easily the worst English VA out of the "main" cast? I have yet to hear a single convincing or natural sounding line read from this dude. Which... you know, given what he's got to work with, I might be willing to cut him some slack, but every other KH VA has to deal with the same level of schlock, and they generally manage to make it work.

Na, I definitely feel like Aqua has him beat; like they both sound like they’re reading mediocre dialogue with horrible voice direction and have barely ever done voiceover work, but Terra’s VO at least tries where every line from Aqua sounds horribly stilted and monotone even when she’s supposed to be flustered like she couldn’t even manage that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Na, I definitely feel like Aqua has him beat; like they both sound like they’re reading mediocre dialogue with horrible voice direction and have barely ever done voiceover work, but Terra’s VO at least tries where every line from Aqua sounds horribly stilted and monotone even when she’s supposed to be flustered like she couldn’t even manage that.

Both of them get a little better in 0.2/KH3 in my opinion (and Aqua’s VA can act judging by some other stuff she’s been in) so I’d blame it more on poor voice direction

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voice direction seems to be a thing since even Riku and Mickey have the occasional lines where they sound completely bored of existence.

Or maybe trying to immerse in Kingdom Hearts lore just numbs the brain after awhile.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the problem with bad voice acting is voice direction in 99.99% of cases

blaming the actors is pretty much never correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Willa Holland is a decent enough actor, the voice direction for BBS was awful. I thought 0.2 was a noticeable improvement and her bits in the realm of darkness in KHIII were also good. I haven’t seen Jason Dohring in anything else so I can’t comment on his acting ability.