Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, that one actually makes some sense, since at least in the earlier games he's written according to the Jewish interpretation of Satan as basically God's prosecuting attorney. (And in the Law ending of SMT2, hilariously, he follows YHVH's orders to kill 99% of humanity, and then passes judgement on YHVH for the crime of killing 99% of humanity.)

In other SMT2 news, looking stuff up on the wiki I just now learned that it has a secret moon affinity system where certain demons can have their damage output modified from 50% to 200% of normal depending on the phase of the moon. I have played through it twice and had no clue about any of this. :psyduck:

SMTIVA Spoilers This is also more or less the case here, though since the only ending options by the time you even meet him are "Kill god" and "Kill god but emo" he never really ends up blowing up humanity or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Supremezero posted:

SMTIVA Spoilers This is also more or less the case here, though since the only ending options by the time you even meet him are "Kill god" and "Kill god but emo" he never really ends up blowing up humanity or anything.

Also in keeping with the fact Satan is half-Chaos in IVA, his reasoning for fighting YHVH is basically "if you can't beat these teenagers with attitude, you don't deserve to be God."

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
All angels are Law, but not all Law demons are angels. I wouldn't object to seeing unrecruitable angels, except maybe the lowest two tiers that are supposed to interface with human scum.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Angels aren't loyal to YHVH, they're loyal to power. That's why they all backed Chiaki in Nocturne. You are just the strongest guy in the room when you recruit them.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The follow law, it's just that the law they follow is survival of the fittest.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Angels aren't loyal to YHVH, they're loyal to power. That's why they all backed Chiaki in Nocturne. You are just the strongest guy in the room when you recruit them.

All Reasons are Law as all Reasons are part of YHVH's Plan.

It's just that only Yosuga is rigidly hierarchical which they obviously enjoy. It brings them into alliance with Chaos demons like Thor. It's a fun irony that the Mantra - a Chaos faction if ever there was one - becomes home to angels in a matter of seconds.

A pretty consistent theme across the SMT games I've played is the differences between Law and Chaos are mostly superficial, especially for the demons. Ideological differences are more pronounced in human followers of Law and Chaos.

I've said before I don't like IV much but a legitimately intriguing and brilliant part of it was showing us Law and Chaos Utopias where the respective Akiras had the opposite alignment of whatever future he was in. . Law Akira hungers for freedom and change, Chaos Akira hungers for order and stability. It's because humans are both law and chaos and one without the other is empty.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 6, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I've said before I don't like IV much but a legitimately intriguing and brilliant part of it was showing us Law and Chaos Utopias where the respective Akiras had the opposite alignment of whatever future he was in. . Law Akira hungers for freedom and change, Chaos Akira hungers for order and stability. It's because humans are both law and chaos and one without the other is empty.
That part is one of the reasons I prefer IV over Final. Setting the game as a pseudosequel made so many of it's decisions possible. Blasted and Infernal tokyo were short but insanely intriguing visions.

I'd strongly encourage you to play the first two games, the way IV and Final twist and recreate the events of the first two are immensely intriguing to myself. I'd love to see the reaction of someone experiencing it in reverse.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Thuryl posted:

In other SMT2 news, looking stuff up on the wiki I just now learned that it has a secret moon affinity system where certain demons can have their damage output modified from 50% to 200% of normal depending on the phase of the moon. I have played through it twice and had no clue about any of this. :psyduck:

Soul Hackers has the same system, but you can outright see the effect checking the demon's stats:

Most effects are similar to this, but I remember some of them skyrocketing in full moon, going really low in new moon and staying neutral in every other phase.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I was doing some digging on this

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/564896-shin-megami-tensei/59908503
This Guy on GameFAQ's was having the same problem

Led me to this post with a fusion guide, that is somehow still being hosted eight years later
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/564896-shin-megami-tensei/67059878

Unfortunately I can't make heads or tails of the chart
But If I'm reading Right you shouldn't be able to fuse it that way, It would have to be a special fusion like Rangda and Barong

Then I stumbled on this lads guide
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/564896-shin-megami-tensei/faqs/5391
With this line at the end

---->6. Elemental Fusion

Tenshi Dominion (Lv. 52) + Tenshi Throne (Lv. 61) + Tenshi Cherub (Lv. 67)
= Seraph Uriel (Lv. 83) (After the Angel Ring was fused)

So it looks like it's a special triple fusion that you can only pull off in the LAW route

Thanks for looking into this! :) I've seen the first link with the guy having the same problem, but didn't see that last bit about needing the Angel Ring. I like the idea of special fusions, but both of them come in way too late. Hell, I didn't even get Vishnu because of how much grinding it'd take to get the MC to LV 88.

Anyways, I finished SMT1. It's fun, even if the last dungeon was a bit much. I get they probably want you to use a bunch of graph paper to map out the place, but the parts with teleporters can go to hell, especially if you want to get to the special Law/Chaos weapons. The encounter rate is also jacked through the roof, which makes navigating the area with darkened corridors a pain in the rear end since you can easily lose track of where you are. It's not so bad if you have a demon with Estoma, since it's busted in that it never runs out until you go out of a building. :v:

It's interesting how the MC starts off being your weakest party member due to the lack of damage options, but by endgame it changes to him being the only one to deal damage while your other demons play support. Having two demons with Tarukaja and one demon with Rakunda let me shred bosses with ease, whether it be with the overpowered sword or with Charm bullets. It really helped sell the idea that I can stand up to YHWH and Lucifer, and that my strength can change the world to whichever path I choose.

I'm a bit burned out to start SMT2 just yet, but I'm looking forward to see what improvements it does over SMT1.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Charm bullets always rule

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/WritingMadness/status/1384563681149669377

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/RayChase/status/1384573538913325057

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So did they just re-record the like 3 grunts the demifiend makes? I don't remember him having any lines at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey they got Reuben Langdon to voice Dante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn03zeRoLBQ

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I hope he's the train announcer in every Atlus game going forward.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And once he dies/retires they can't put trains in Atlus games ever again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hey they got Reuben Langdon to voice Dante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn03zeRoLBQ

Reminder that he's anti-vaxx, qanon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Tae posted:

Has he actually done anything egregiously bad or is he just a loving dipshit? Can't really bring myself to care if it's the latter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tae posted:

Thanks, I'm back to wishing they didn't do voices for this release.

I should say, I was only in 'maybe this'll be good' for about an hour or so.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6elodbFQd6w

This lad made a Compilation of all the special recruitment dialogue in Nocturne, pretty interesting. There's a few neat things in there the avg persona ain't gonna see

No problem man love to see people playing the Original games.

I'd take a break between the two for sure, I tried to do 'em both in one go and burnt out super quick on two.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So did they just re-record the like 3 grunts the demifiend makes? I don't remember him having any lines at all.

I guess that's why they got the guy already directed the VA to do it

The Persona main characters have VAs too, but all they're doing is saying PERSONA and SATAN so it's usually someone who voices another character. In 4 the same guy did Adachi and MC, in 5 he did Arsene and MC (so still not super busy lol)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

There's a few neat things in there the avg persona ain't gonna see

:ocelot:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I guess that's why they got the guy already directed the VA to do it

The Persona main characters have VAs too, but all they're doing is saying PERSONA and SATAN so it's usually someone who voices another character. In 4 the same guy did Adachi and MC, in 5 he did Arsene and MC (so still not super busy lol)

And since you left him out, the (male) P3MC is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who voices Pharos and Ryoji. I'm not sure who voices the female MC.

I do like, as an aside, that the 'whoever we've already got hanging around' holds for Joker's Smash appearance, since his VA is also the Smash announcer.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Cleretic posted:

And since you left him out, the (male) P3MC is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who voices Pharos and Ryoji. I'm not sure who voices the female MC.

Laura Bailey! Who is also Rise in P4.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
SMT sale on the 3DS eshop going on for anyone interested.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1387800319690645508?s=21

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1387800029809627137?s=21

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1387800540961116168?s=21

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Closely related, someone remind me what the consensus on Strange Journey Redux is? I have vague memories saying "not good" but I only ever made it like five hours into the original and I have no idea where my original DS cartridges are so it's still tempting.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Irony.or.Death posted:

Closely related, someone remind me what the consensus on Strange Journey Redux is? I have vague memories saying "not good" but I only ever made it like five hours into the original and I have no idea where my original DS cartridges are so it's still tempting.

It's excellent but you need to know it can be very punishing going in, especially with map and dungeon design. It has a "hit weaknesses and same alignment demons will do extra attack" system as opposed to "hit weakness get extra turn" so there's a difference there too vs modern SMT.

I like it a lot, but it leans more heavily into dungeon crawling than most SMT. So if you like battling, collecting demons, those are all great. If you like spacious, complex dungeons with gimmicks, then even better!

Redux also adds an extra character, an extra dungeon, and a few extra endings, none of which you probably saw within 5 hours of the original.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Strange Journey Redux is at the top of my SMT/Persona tier list. When I played the original I found it to have very minimalistic plot and characters but SJR really made me appreciate the story and characters far more, having now also played other SMT and Persona games. (original SJ was my first SMT game)

Something like SMTIV has more writing and Nocturne has less but SJR is way, way better than both of them. Zelenin and Jimenez are great characters.

Combat is a lot of fun, I can't recall if original had difficulty settings but SJR does and so you can enjoy punishing difficulty or just take it easy. SJR added many new game mechanics to make the PC more useful and to make certain dungeon gimmicks less tedious.

The new character and dungeon aren't great but you get some awesome music and boss fights out of it so it's no big deal for me. 3 new endings, too. Lotta folks prefer the new endings in my experience.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

Lotta folks prefer the new endings in my experience.

Without spoiling: the new endings feel like a pointed response to a lot of criticisms of the original story in ways that do the relevant characters more justice. They rule.

I'd put SJR as the top SMT title you could get on 3DS by a mile, probably either my favorite or second favorite in the franchise at this point. All of the fixes and additions are so good.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The thing with Strange Journey is that while Lucifer is often a major character in SMT games, in SJ he also worked as the map designer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Strange Journey reduxs new content and ending fixes a lot of the shittier character writing that kind of fell apart as the Forces of law and chaos reared their heads up for real. A lot of its charm was how actually likable the whole crew was and eventually in the original you just hit a plot beat where the game just...stops writing all of that.

Redux is p. Solid.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Well that all sounds great, thanks everyone. I wonder where I picked up this idea that Redux was not as well received as the original version. I missed IV entirely so it'll be nice dipping back into the mainline series, it's been such a long time since Nocturne.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

Well that all sounds great, thanks everyone. I wonder where I picked up this idea that Redux was not as well received as the original version. I missed IV entirely so it'll be nice dipping back into the mainline series, it's been such a long time since Nocturne.

Back when the game came out there was the inevitable "it's different so it sucks" crowd.

Most of the complaints center on the new art but also the new character isn't very popular, either. And some peple feel the game was made too easy due to new gameplay features.

But ya know what? Save Anywhere is a feature that should be in any game made in the last 5-10 years, especially RPGs. Forget difficulty, what if your power goes out right as you're at the end of one of these huge, complicated levels? Lucky me it's never happened but my power blipping off and on isn't so uncommon that it couldn't happen and I'd lose my poo poo if it did. So SJR adding save anywhere is just one of many reasons why it's a better game than the original.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Strange Journey original was a game that I always loved but I felt i had to put a million caveats to reccomend to other people. Strange Journey Redux is just, a good game that fixed basically everything that made the original uncomfortable for new players

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nothing I've ever played has nailed "oppressive dread" quite as well as the opening of Strange Journey.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I really need to pick SJR back up. Was playing it via Citra, but took a break from constant hurty floor tiles and got sucked into something else. Maybe Fall Guys or Valheim... not sure, and it was enough months ago that I forget what it was that drew my attention away.

Also grabbed two metric John Goodmans of Atlus games for the 3DS in that half-off sale they just had. Eager to dive into SMT4 and SJR I'm somehow 15 hours into Radiant Historia instead and I'm not sure how that happened. It's not SMT game, but I simply can't stop playing it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marsh finished his Vid on SMT NINE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagrqmJAfUM

Game looks nutso

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
NINE is so interesting narratively and should have been remade instead of Nocturne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stephen in a blue suit is destroying my mind

That story went places

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 8, 2021