Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The BBC radio man is saying that North Korea is canceling their plans to go to the Olympics because of covid, and he says that this is because their "medical system in North Korea is very weak" so they cannot respond to the pandemic effectively.

Our policies is and always were and always will be the best prepared regardless of numbers or outcomes or life expectancy. img-most-prepared-countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salient
Jan 2, 2021

Asproigerosis posted:

Until the day I die, I will never forgive or forget how hospitals/government responded to ebola and covid. Ebola: OH gently caress BETTER SPEND MILLIONS OF OUR TINY HOSPITAL BUDGET BUYING MOONSUITS, PRESSURIZED ROOMS, CLEVELAND STEAMERS, MONTHS OF PLANNING INTRICATE PROTOCOLS, ETC.

Covid: you get one N95 a month, enjoy.
our emergency department has pallets of supplies locked away in case of a cholinergic agent attack but still relies on just in time delivery for ppe :patriot:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
We still only get spray bottles of this yellow hydroperoxide poo poo that smells kinda like cinnamon but more importantly stains all of the plastic and straps yellow. The whole department permanently looks like it is covered in piss.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SKULL.GIF posted:

kinda steep!

india apparently has a 'double mutant' variant that might be clear evidence of recombination of two different variants https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56507988

with recombination we can see all kinds of fun things like b117 picking up the e484k eek mutation (which it already has in some variants). or just the general problem that any bad variant even in small amounts is still a big threat because it could recombine with faster spreading or more prevalent variants

oh, and the double mutant india strain is in the bay area now: https://abc7news.com/double-mutant-stanford-team-doctor-palinsky-covid-19-variant/10489220/

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

the upside is you can pee wherever you want now

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

worthless coward ghouls

edit,
https://twitter.com/kschorsch/status/1379455475150884868

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
On California reopening:

quote:

On June 15, California will fully open its economy if two criteria are met:

1. Equitable vaccine availability: If vaccine supply is sufficient for Californians 16 years or older who wish to be inoculated. [i]

AND

2. Consistently low burden of disease: Hospitalizations are stable and low, and specifically, hospitalizations among fully vaccinated individuals are low.

Note that case rates don’t factor into the decisionmaking at all, nor does the number of vaccines actually administered.

edit: just crack pinged at the realization that they only care about hospitalizations of vaccinated adults, just naked disregard for unvaccinated children.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

if you added your work email to your phone, congrats your IT department has full control over installing and running apps totally invisible to you on the device

(this is a standard feature of enterprise email systems)

I just set up a work only account as a second account on my android (I had to create a throwaway gmail address for the account but that took less than a minute) and use that for work related authenticator apps and poo poo. Corporate IT has permissions to nuke that account from orbit but I don't care because it's only work stuff on that account.

Only use my work laptop for anything work related though. Not even gonna sign in to a web based thing from my personal PC because gently caress that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ben Nerevarine posted:

my chud father was convinced we’d stop hearing about COVID the day after the inauguration and I’m still not sure exactly what he was implying

Turns out he was right though, COVID disappeared once Team blue was in charge.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crazyweasel posted:

What is the rationale being provided for a computer toucher to be sent back to work? Are your companies struggling to get things done?

I have a mixed job between hardware and computer touching and the most my megacorp has said is “our guidance isn’t changing in the near future no matter what happens, work from home as much as possible”. We continue to meet our targets so I guess they just don’t want to rock the boat.

There's no real justification for the vast majority of people who work in offices to be full-time on-site and strongly encouraging a hybrid model that heavily favors WFH (ie, 1 or 2 days in vs. 3 or 4 days out) would be a massive environmental win.

Keep in mind that a lot of companies are under external pressure to bring employees back in, though. I've got two big clients in two pretty different industries that both permanently shuttered their main offices and made everyone remote, but one of them (in CA) is going back on that decision. It's pretty much entirely because the city is strongly lobbying them to stay open. Nobody's happy because most of the employees who are left are the ones who wanted to remain fully remote, so I have no idea how this is going to play out.

The other issue is that good hybrid remote models require a lot of employee independence. You don't really want things like set schedules because you ideally want your teams to be on-site for collaboration and not for work that they can do at home. That means trusting your employees to choose when they should be in the office probably on an individual or team basis. That's way more freedom than a lot of companies are comfortable with giving their employees.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Pump Jockey posted:

On California reopening:

Note that case rates don’t factor into the decisionmaking at all, nor does the number of vaccines actually administered.

edit: just crack pinged at the realization that they only care about hospitalizations of vaccinated adults, just naked disregard for unvaccinated children.

hahahaha holy poo poo

there it is, there's how biden is going to force us all back to pre-pandemic normal as thousands are still dying. we're gonna see this policy mandated nationwide in all states before this current surge even takes off

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Turns out he was right though, COVID disappeared once Team blue was in charge.

:hmmyes:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Leaving right now for my 2nd Pfizer juice. :coronatoot:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:krad:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pump Jockey posted:

On California reopening:

lol god drat that's naked

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
looking forward to the cheery news reports in 2 months:

"The CDC Corona Risk Well Health check report today is: GREEN! You are good to go! There is no risk today!*

In other news, a fourth refrigerator truck has shown up at the local hospital. The hospital director assured us this truck is to store tasty treats and Vax Pops(tm) which are given to newly vaccinated residents. The director confirms the CDC-mandated ER Risk Score is low as fully vaccinated patients make up a tiny, dwindling part of the ICU. There are plans to rapidly expand the ICU to a temporary outdoor setting this weekend as all of the polled hospital staff said they preferred the breezy, nice outdoor weather as a treat for their hard work.

* (no risk calculation only valid for fully-vaccinated peoples who are also fully booster vaccinated and child-free. All other people are encouraged to Get The Shot by accessing gettheshot.org to learn more)"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mod sassinator posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

there it is, there's how biden is going to force us all back to pre-pandemic normal as thousands are still dying. we're gonna see this policy mandated nationwide in all states before this current surge even takes off

You got your shot, now shut the gently caress up and go back to work

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Nothus posted:

You got your shot, now shut the gently caress up and go back to work

Work make you free (from COVID).

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SSKedreporter/status/1379507502027509760?s=20

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
anyone in NM know good hacks on getting a vaccine appt? My brother was turned away from his J&J today for not having his health insurance card on him, and the site he used for that shows nothing for a month out

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Petey posted:

anyone in NM know good hacks on getting a vaccine appt? My brother was turned away from his J&J today for not having his health insurance card on him, and the site he used for that shows nothing for a month out

F5

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Petey posted:

Look on your local subreddits for what the vax hunters are doing. They should have a good idea what times the vaccine availability sites update and drop new spots. You gotta be there ready to snipe them as soon as they drop. It's all over the place--some super early in morning, some random times during afternoon, etc. It's loving ridiculous.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

and here I was thinking it was only gop congressmen that hosed minors

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmfao it's April, maybe it's time to call this school year a wash

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Nothus posted:

You got access to your shot, now shut the gently caress up and go back to work

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
got another vaccine breakthrough case here: https://www.king5.com/article/news/...d3-eb365a201f36

quote:

Diane Schmidt of Delano has been sitting in a hotel room in Mexico since Thursday, unable to leave.

"This could be a long week and a half if I really have to stay that long," Schmidt said.

On March 27, Schmidt flew to Playa Del Carmen for her daughter's senior trip. They were joined by two other moms and their daughters. Another mom chose to get tested before leaving and ended up being positive for COVID-19; she and her daughter stayed home.

Schmidt is a nurse practitioner at Children's Minnesota and has been fully vaccinated since the beginning of January. Even so, she opted to get the hotel's COVID insurance. The $30 insurance covers a person's stay at the hotel for an additional 14 days, including a room and food.

"Now I'm really glad I signed that paper," Schmidt said.

It started on Monday when Schmidt started experiencing a sore throat. Tuesday she developed a bit of a cough.

"But it wasn't bad and, again, I just thought I was sleeping with the air conditioner on," Schmidt recalled.

Wednesday she had some sinus pressure but still did not think it was COVID. On Thursday, she took a COVID-19 test in preparation for her flight on Saturday. Since the end of January, the Centers for Disease Control has required travelers flying to the U.S. from a foreign country to get tested no more than three days before their flight departs. Passengers must show proof of a negative test before boarding the flight.
Credit: Diane Schmidt
Diane Schmidt from her balcony in Mexico. Her group left on Saturday.

Not even five minutes after taking the test, Schmidt received a call that she had tested positive.

is anyone tracking breakthroughs? BNO has the nice reinfection tracker. I'd love to see something similar for breakthrough cases. Not that these are unexpected or alarming on their own, but we really need to track the total numbers and look for any unexpected trends like more than the expected ~5% or so per the trials. It's also super useful stuff to send your boomer parents after their shot to help pound into their head that it is not safe to be loving around and finding out after the shots right now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
if we think the gaslighting is bad now, just wait in 2 months when the message will be "well yes of course the vaccine isn't perfect and you can still get sick... but LOOK you're less likely to die! ALSO LONG COVID DOES NOT EXIST!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

if we think the gaslighting is bad now, just wait in 2 months when the message will be "well yes of course the vaccine isn't perfect and you can still get sick... but LOOK you're less likely to die! ALSO LONG COVID DOES NOT EXIST!"

Now get back into your neighborhood Chilli's for happy hour!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

There's no real justification for the vast majority of people who work in offices to be full-time on-site and strongly encouraging a hybrid model that heavily favors WFH (ie, 1 or 2 days in vs. 3 or 4 days out) would be a massive environmental win.

Keep in mind that a lot of companies are under external pressure to bring employees back in, though. I've got two big clients in two pretty different industries that both permanently shuttered their main offices and made everyone remote, but one of them (in CA) is going back on that decision. It's pretty much entirely because the city is strongly lobbying them to stay open. Nobody's happy because most of the employees who are left are the ones who wanted to remain fully remote, so I have no idea how this is going to play out.

The other issue is that good hybrid remote models require a lot of employee independence. You don't really want things like set schedules because you ideally want your teams to be on-site for collaboration and not for work that they can do at home. That means trusting your employees to choose when they should be in the office probably on an individual or team basis. That's way more freedom than a lot of companies are comfortable with giving their employees.

We don't have any info on going back to the office beyond "probably sometime this fall" but they've said that pretty much anyone who wants to can plan on being work from home a few days a week. No details yet but I'm expecting that it'll be similar to geographically remote groups I've worked with in the past where there are just certain times when it's expected that you'll be able to be in the office if asked. Like anything in person will be on Tuesday/Thursday afternoons or stuff like that.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

mod sassinator posted:

got another vaccine breakthrough case here: https://www.king5.com/article/news/...d3-eb365a201f36

is anyone tracking breakthroughs? BNO has the nice reinfection tracker. I'd love to see something similar for breakthrough cases. Not that these are unexpected or alarming on their own, but we really need to track the total numbers and look for any unexpected trends like more than the expected ~5% or so per the trials. It's also super useful stuff to send your boomer parents after their shot to help pound into their head that it is not safe to be loving around and finding out after the shots right now.

quote:

DHEC officials stress that breakthrough cases have been reported in less than 0.5% of the number of people across the state who have completed their vaccine series.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/04/06/dhec-sc-sees-over-covid-breakthrough-cases-fully-vaccinated-people/

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

That's already the exact message thrown out even ITT whenever anybody expresses any preference for mNRA over the J&J vaccine.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

How are things in south korea?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SchnorkIes posted:

What's the rating on this

BEPPE ascends beyond all human divined rating schemas.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

yeah the thing that raised my eyebrows was this report: https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/washington-breakthrough-vaccine-cases/281-9278cb21-6b14-4746-a2b7-91725282c24b

102 breakthroughs, which is totally expected and within that 0.5% threshold

but there were 8 hospitalizations and 2 deaths from fully vaccinated people

NONE of the trials saw those outcomes. and the discourse over the last month has been "you are 100% protected from ever seeing the hospital once vaxxed"

well, there are 10 cases right there to rip that idea to shreds. i'm not personally worried about it but someone needs to be loving figuring out why there are hospitalizations and deaths not seen in trials.

the deaths were apparently two people in their 80s. that seems expected to me honestly given that a study has shown people over 80 would only see vaccine antibodies 1/3 of the time after their second shot. basically old people have bad immune systems and a vaccine doesn't help them much.

those 8 hospitalizations for people under 80 though.. WTF for sure

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Nonsense posted:

Hey Ya an extremely depressing song, perfect for the occasion really

There is a Kidz Bop version of Hey Ya.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Dixon Chisholm posted:

There is a Kidz Bop version of Hey Ya.

sloooow it down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpDw8lRnbYs

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pump Jockey posted:

lol hate-listening to NPR and their local schools reporter is just flabbergasted as to why no BIPOC families want to bring their kids back to school. She's just shocked that it's only white families. She then went on to say/allude that it must be a language barrier or that the parents don't know how to check their email because most of these families aren't familiar with computers and that they have low education, so they didn't might not have gotten the notice that it's time to return back to school lmao just loving kill me

Again crack pinging hard on how all levels of government are actively trying to get my kid sick with covid

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Tzen posted:

lol hate-listening to NPR and their local schools reporter is just flabbergasted as to why no BIPOC families want to bring their kids back to school. She's just shocked that it's only white families. She then went on to say/allude that it must be a language barrier or that the parents don't know how to check their email because most of these families aren't familiar with computers and that they have low education, so they didn't might not have gotten the notice that it's time to return back to school lmao just loving kill me

Again crack pinging hard on how all levels of government are actively trying to get my kid sick with covid

Not to fear, in Biden's America the genocide will be Well Health Certified (tm).

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
is covid what seals my commitment to being a recluse and never reproducing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just got my first jab. Turned out to be the pfizer rather than moderna. They're also giving out ice cream.

It's a drive through parking lot situation and it took like 3 minutes. Pretty impressive