Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

How much activity happens in areas you aren't nearby? Like, if I have two bases half the map apart, will anything happen at one when I'm at the other? I haven't seen that yet.

Things on timers like crops and recipes fermenting will run, and fuel will be consumed, but otherwise that area doesn't spawn mobs or have events happen there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ravenfood posted:

How much activity happens in areas you aren't nearby? Like, if I have two bases half the map apart, will anything happen at one when I'm at the other? I haven't seen that yet.

Anything you're not around goes into stasis. I don't know the exact radius, it's not enormous. Raids against your bases only happen to the base you're in, while you're in or around it. Outside the radius of your character nothing happens, with the exception of a few events like the smelter, kiln, etc. - they don't actually "do" the work while you're gone, but when you come back into the area, it calculates how much would have been done since time stopped and restarted and dumps that amount all in one pile. You can hear this effect if you take a portal back after filling the smelter - during the portal animation you'll hear all the bars drop at once.

That means you can leave things like an open workbench and portal totally unprotected far off on an island with no concern, except when you head back over there, your presence brings the locals to life and they might zip in and make short work of your poo poo. I don't recommend leaving anything unprotected for that reason alone.

The game is kind of like the Truman Show - things are only happening around you so you can see them and interact with them. Get far enough away and they all go for coffee breaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dkj posted:

One base can be attacked while you’re at the other, yeah.

Really? I thought the world was basically paused outside of your "active" area except for things on timers like crops. Have you had another base attacked while you weren't there? Do you still get the event announcement text even if you aren't at the location?

E: oh, there was another page

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raids will persist if you portal to another part of the world, but nothing happens while you're gone. As soon as you portal back the raid resumes.

For the same reason, raids will only start at an area a player is present.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

30-50 feral hogs paddling out and overwhelming my longship

lol

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Is the serpent scale shield a tower shield? I switched from a banded shield and this thing fuckin sucks. Can't parry at all. Fulings are eating my god damned lunch every time I think of going outside my plains base fence.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is a tower shield, therefore it is only a wall decoration.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yep it's going on the wall.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a very nice wall decoration, at least.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

PittTheElder posted:

Two star Fulings really are a trip, everything in the game up to that point basically teaches you Lern2Parry, and then suddenly it doesn't work.

This is true and also very weird. I wonder if it's just a numbers thing, and when more biomes go in with higher tier shields, we'll be able to parry them. Or if it's just coded that 2-star fulings break through the parry. Either way it's absolutely bizarre that it works like that. No biome up until plains had that problem - I could always block/parry 2-star enemies from everywhere. Sure some damage might come through, but it was better than dying. Why teach a skill and have the player hone it, then at the end take it away with no warning? So now every fuling battle winds up being the same - I shoot them all from halfway across the map, because to get close enough to see the star rating is too risky.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
When are we getting a glider in the game? Really want to jump off this extremely tall mountain we have our server and fly forever

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Jusupov posted:

When are we getting a glider in the game? Really want to jump off this extremely tall mountain we have our server and fly forever

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/870

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jusupov posted:

It already is, it's called ättestupa.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Jusupov posted:

Bait a Drake to come near you and jump on their back

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It begins.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah my wife bred some 2 star wolves. You think it's cool now, having some wolves. Wait until you can't reach your forge because you're blocked by an impenetrable wall of wolf.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Dig out a spawner and dump your excess wolves there?

Free resin for eternity.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just slaughter some for free meat.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Just slaughter some for free meat.

you monster

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I "wolf-bomb" my friends by putting all my excess wolves at their camp.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
We thought we were prepared, we were not. Bonemass absolutely ate our lunch last night.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

scopes posted:

We thought we were prepared, we were not. Bonemass absolutely ate our lunch last night.

You need potions - poison resist, stamina, health. Swamp conditions means just relying on natural health and stamina regeneration doesn't cut it.

Second to that, decent armour and a mace.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've started a pit fighting thing on the recently opened goon server and another goon has made the pit look really nice. Just done a couple naked fisticuffs brawls and games of spear catch at the moment, but it's been fun. I feel like actual to the death pvp in this game would probably be worthless, but I'm enjoying this. Just need to finish the audience stands and then we'll hold a proper tournament I hope.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
We took out bonemass first try. We were over prepared though 2 of the 4 of us forgot to drink our resist potions and died. Fortunately we had hoed a path to his location so the run back was easy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think the biggest problem I had with Bonemass initially is not realizing his poison cloud is stronger than poison resist potion so you need to just get the gently caress out of it/away from it. Probably suffered one or two unnecessary deaths because of that.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Me and a friend went into the bonemass fight with sausages, serpent stew, turnip stew and poison resist and it was a very easy fight. Both had iron gear and mace.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

dkj posted:

Me and a friend went into the bonemass fight with sausages, serpent stew, turnip stew and poison resist and it was a very easy fight. Both had iron gear and mace.

We had the same except cooked meat instead of turnip stew. I never died and my friend died twice.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Brain Curry posted:

We had the same except cooked meat instead of turnip stew. I never died and my friend died twice.

We used Turnip stew, Carrot stew and Sausages, along with Iron maces/shields/armour. Definitely a learning experience to have to actually back out of the poison clouds. Also it was fortunate we had enough people that we could afford to have people moving out to heal/regen while he was busy attacking others.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Set up a server for me and my friends to plays and it's a shame you can't share mods. There's a mod to let you do that, but I don't want them to have to do it.

But there are some really dumb but fun mods

Heeeeeeeeeerreeee. FISHY FISHY FISHY

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 6, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

There were a couple mods that have piqued our interest in our server, recently:

OdinFlight: You gain the power of FLIGHT - just don't fly too close to the sun.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/870

Valheim Legends: Introducing selectable hero classes (Berserker, Valkyrie, Ranger, Mage, Druid, Shaman) with special abilities.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/796

Epic Loot Mod: Adds loot drops, magic items and enchanting.
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/387

Basement: Adds the ability to travel underground and build through your ideal escape room fantasies.
https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Rolo/Basement/

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

EVIL Gibson posted:

Set up a server for me and my friends to plays and it's a shame you can't share mods. There's a mod to let you do that, but I don't want them to have to do it.

But there are some really dumb but fun mods

Heeeeeeeeeerreeee. FISHY FISHY FISHY

that owns. So others wouldn't be able to see the jump or hear the sound on that one?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I had like 800 pounds of scrap iron in the hold of my karve, and I was 90% sure I was gonna do an edmund fitzgerald. but I didn't! I love video games

is there any penalty for cargo/passenger weight?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

padijun posted:

I had like 800 pounds of scrap iron in the hold of my karve, and I was 90% sure I was gonna do an edmund fitzgerald. but I didn't! I love video games

Idk about the boat, but the cart is much, much harder to move when it has a lot of weight, like absurdly so. You can get around this by someone using the harpoon on the cart puller which is hilarious.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

padijun posted:

I had a lot of trouble running a cart with 3000lbs up a hill path. Had to smooth it out a lot and movement was a lot slower.

Haven’t noticed slow downs in boats.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Firebert posted:

Idk about the boat, but the cart is much, much harder to move when it has a lot of weight, like absurdly so. You can get around this by someone using the harpoon on the cart puller which is hilarious.

You can also get around it by having player A pull the cart and player B stand in the cart with all the ore in their inventory since the game operates a lot like Kenshi- a person weighs as much as a person, doesn't matter if they've got 2000 tons of silver in their backpack

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

You can also get around it by having player A pull the cart and player B stand in the cart with all the ore in their inventory since the game operates a lot like Kenshi- a person weighs as much as a person, doesn't matter if they've got 2000 tons of silver in their backpack

The best is what it looks like. A happy, energetic viking with a cart strapped to them lugging around a sad, sweating pathetic viking around.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What happens when you summon a boss and fail miserably? Does the boss stay active around the spawn area until you kill it?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Zwabu posted:

What happens when you summon a boss and fail miserably? Does the boss stay active around the spawn area until you kill it?

Correct, bosses never de-spawn. And in fact you could summon another copy of the boss, even at the same altar at the same time if you were crazy enough to do so.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zwabu posted:

They actually move as far out as you last pulled them and will stay in the last engagement area. So you can draw them really far out, even into different biomes.

4th boss spoiler, as we dragged him right into a larger outpost. Amazing fight.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Squibbles posted:

Correct, bosses never de-spawn. And in fact you could summon another copy of the boss, even at the same altar at the same time if you were crazy enough to do so.

Wait, are there people who don't intentionally summon half a dozen Eikthers just to watch them rampage around the wilderness?

Do any of the bosses dislike each other btw? Because I just got an idea.