Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

allowing windows up update programs not named windows is probably a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

allowing windows is probably a mistake

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

allowing windows up update programs not named windows is probably a mistake

just bump echis i-will-never-update-my-computer thread rather than ripping it off uncredited like this.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
does switching from "AHCI/NVME" to "Raid On" make a big performance difference?

Raid On makes it so i can't boot from my hard drive without special drivers so it seems bad (especially since I just have one drive)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

Raid On makes it so i can't boot from my hard drive without special drivers so it seems bad (especially since I just have one drive)

leave it on nvme

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Corla Plankun posted:

people generally recommend against using the onboard raid chip for this and other reasons. windows has some decent (software) raid tools if you need that or you would use a pcie raid card or something

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

With SSD's you don't need raid anyway

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
in fact many ssds are raid

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

bobbilljim posted:

people generally recommend against using the onboard raid chip for this and other reasons. windows has some decent (software) raid tools if you need that or you would use a pcie raid card or something

interesting! turns out this laptop i've been complaining about is getting replaced because sending two different techs out to replace the hard drive and not putting an OS on it didn't address the root cause of "not fuggin booting" lol; but i still appreciate the info

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i've been looking over mobos for an AMD 7 5800X build for the last few days and have mostly settled on ASRock x570 Steel Legend. One thing that is making me rethink this combo is I don't have another CPU to do a BIOS upgrade. Are these boards (probably) shipping with updated BIOS yet or am I most likely SOL for this board? I like the feature set on the Steel Legend otherwise. It seems like you can't flashback the BIOS on these boards tho.

this box would be a Linux rig for some gaming but mostly coding and running VMs, so if there are other motherboards that might be a better fit for that I'm open to alternatives too. I can provide a full parts list if that helps.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ansible Adams posted:

i've been looking over mobos for an AMD 7 5800X build for the last few days and have mostly settled on ASRock x570 Steel Legend. One thing that is making me rethink this combo is I don't have another CPU to do a BIOS upgrade. Are these boards (probably) shipping with updated BIOS yet or am I most likely SOL for this board? I like the feature set on the Steel Legend otherwise. It seems like you can't flashback the BIOS on these boards tho.

this box would be a Linux rig for some gaming but mostly coding and running VMs, so if there are other motherboards that might be a better fit for that I'm open to alternatives too. I can provide a full parts list if that helps.

It isn't 100% it will ship with an updated bios, but it probably will.

Why did you decide on this one? A b550 board is probably a better option unless you need a lot of sata or pci e ports. Lots of options with flashback and comparable vrms, nic, sound, etc

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lampey posted:

It isn't 100% it will ship with an updated bios, but it probably will.

Why did you decide on this one? A b550 board is probably a better option unless you need a lot of sata or pci e ports. Lots of options with flashback and comparable vrms, nic, sound, etc

At this point things are starting to blend together and I mostly settled on this one by way of a process of elimination over a couple days of googling issues, reading motherboard tier lists, and peoples' experiences on reddit (:/) over the course of the last few days. I have also read that linux does not work very well with all boards cpu/fan sensors but it seemed like this one would be ok. I am open to suggestions though, as it does have some shortcomings (no front usb-c connector, no flashback, just pretty good vrms). I was also looking at MSI B550 Tomahawk and that one seems like it might do the job too, although I haven't spent as much time reading up on it and it seems like 2.5GB NICs might not work?

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 25, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

both msi and asrock are good, between the two i'd go asrock because whenever i've had to contact them they've been nice and helpful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2.5g ethernet is dumb as poo poo and i have never once seen it in use

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

my latest board has it w/ an intel chip driving it, works fine as normal gigabit. wouldn't have gotten it otherwise but it's been whatever

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Ya I have absolutely no use for it.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

what even is 2.5gbps networking, i thought 1 or 10
were the standard. do you need to have 10gbps switches and cat6a and it just runs at 2.5gbps?

i mean yeah i could look this up but i’m several drinks deep in the back of a taxi. thanks and bless

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
10 gigabit copper ethernet has been around since 2006, but in 2016 they made a new multigig standard which adds 2.5 and 5 gig.

2.5 gig can go 100 meters on cat5e

2.5g is beginning to show up on stuff because 99% of cheap gigabit poo poo uses realtek chips and realtek has started making cheap 2.5g chips

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Comcast is offering 2gb symmetrical connections to like 75m people if you are willing to pay for it. Google fiber is doing it too now. Others will follow suit, prices will come down. It won't be common anytime soon, but it is an option for a lot of people and you won't get the full speed on just gigabit. Its really easy to get a nas that will do more than a gig of throughput.

Its also not really any more expensive, most of the motherboards with flashback and a good number of usb ports and decent vrms have 2.5gb or 5gb nics. Its mostly the cheapest ones with only 1gb nics.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lazydog posted:

10 gigabit copper ethernet has been around since 2006, but in 2016 they made a new multigig standard which adds 2.5 and 5 gig.

2.5 gig can go 100 meters on cat5e

2.5g is beginning to show up on stuff because 99% of cheap gigabit poo poo uses realtek chips and realtek has started making cheap 2.5g chips

this explanation owns, thanks yosipedia

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lampey posted:

Comcast is offering 2gb symmetrical connections to like 75m people if you are willing to pay for it. Google fiber is doing it too now. Others will follow suit, prices will come down. It won't be common anytime soon, but it is an option for a lot of people and you won't get the full speed on just gigabit. Its really easy to get a nas that will do more than a gig of throughput.

Its also not really any more expensive, most of the motherboards with flashback and a good number of usb ports and decent vrms have 2.5gb or 5gb nics. Its mostly the cheapest ones with only 1gb nics.

isn't 2.5gbit the max aggregate downstream bandwidth for a gpon fiber branch? you'd be real lucky to ever see those actual speeds from your ISP outside of 2-6am unless you're the only customer on that branch (lol not happening)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

maybe it’s xgspon, that is how nz is rolling out 2 and 4gbps fibre over the existing fibre network

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gentle Autist posted:

maybe it’s xgspon,
Gesundheit

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress gpon

use proper fiber not that time share bullshit

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i don’t roll out the fibre networks ok

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Gentle Autist posted:

maybe it’s xgspon, that is how nz is rolling out 2 and 4gbps fibre over the existing fibre network

please do not post my secret masonic name itt

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ansible Adams posted:

At this point things are starting to blend together and I mostly settled on this one by way of a process of elimination over a couple days of googling issues, reading motherboard tier lists, and peoples' experiences on reddit (:/) over the course of the last few days. I have also read that linux does not work very well with all boards cpu/fan sensors but it seemed like this one would be ok. I am open to suggestions though, as it does have some shortcomings (no front usb-c connector, no flashback, just pretty good vrms). I was also looking at MSI B550 Tomahawk and that one seems like it might do the job too, although I haven't spent as much time reading up on it and it seems like 2.5GB NICs might not work?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lh6rHph31fiuijaZA0cff-9-LpVs9I-0SMm4uYuioCw/edit?usp=sharing compares a lot of the relevant specs. a couple things not mentioned, asus does 3 year warranty while most do only 1. if the motherboard has wifi it will take up one of the m.2 slots, and only a few motherboards have 3 m.2 slots. so if you plan on using 2 m.2 ssds get a motherboard without wifi and use an add in card, or you will need a pcie to m.2 add in card. lots of good options here, b550 tomahawk

with planning for an ISP you can have oversubscription rates of 30+ to 1 without any throttling or congestion because of low utilization. average residential customer internet use is under 350gb per month in the US per openvault survey. you would expect that customers paying $300 a month for 2 gig service would use more, but really people use the same bandwidth even after substantial speed upgrades. also it is pretty hard to tell if there is throttling on a 2g+ line, a ton of stuff is limited to 1g, the server side is more likely to have congestion than your neighborhood

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i feel like above a certain point the real benefit of a faster connection is for like a big family situation or a house with a lot of roommates. i don't think i would get enough utility to justify paying for faster than the symmetrical 100M pipe i already have

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
honestly that still kinda blows me away. i remember a conversation with a friend in high school, back when we both still had dialup, and fantasizing about having our own t1, and i said "woah what if you had your own t3??" and he laughed and said "isn't that what like an isp has for their backbone?"

and now i've got an internet connection fast enough to saturate fast ethernet

future sucks in a lot of ways but this is still pretty amazing, to me

anyway that's my story. thanks and "god bless",

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
the internet is basically “slow” local storage and my actual local storage is an enormous persistent ramdisk. it’s pretty wild, yeah.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I cant seem to get hardware virtualization working on my computer. I have an intel i7-4770K which according to the specs page supports VT-x. When I run egrep -c '(svm|vmx)' /proc/cpuinfo i get 0 back. I have looked in the BIOS but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn this on. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

vodkat posted:

I cant seem to get hardware virtualization working on my computer. I have an intel i7-4770K which according to the specs page supports VT-x. When I run egrep -c '(svm|vmx)' /proc/cpuinfo i get 0 back. I have looked in the BIOS but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn this on. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

I have a consumer HP that is similar... it’s not enough for the processor to support it, motherboard has to as well. HP decided that consumers would never care about that so they keep it disabled... it’s maddening

what brand is it?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

sometimes they'll add vt-d support in a bios update, i've seen that before

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

namlosh posted:

I have a consumer HP that is similar... it’s not enough for the processor to support it, motherboard has to as well. HP decided that consumers would never care about that so they keep it disabled... it’s maddening

what brand is it?

its one of these https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03832938 which i picked up second hand from office.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

vodkat posted:

its one of these https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03832938 which i picked up second hand from office.

supposedly that does have an option in bios per this thread

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
normally there is a virtualization setting even in the most wretched oem bios but it might be called something weird. you won’t see it called vt-x basically ever, try looking for anything similar to virtualization, VT, IVT or vanderpool technology.

Maximum Leader fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 7, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You also need to turn it on to use the non-poo poo WSL so it's ridiculous that commodity pc bioses make it so obnoxious.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

supposedly that does have an option in bios per this thread

This is the one. Turns out it was called something different and hidden in a weird security menu. Thanks and gently caress you HP

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

vodkat posted:

This is the one. Turns out it was called something different and hidden in a weird security menu. Thanks and gently caress you HP

awesome, glad you got it sorted. my turd of a machine has the option for VT, but if you enable it and reboot, it’s disabled again. it’s literally a 10 year old Walmart special I got free and use for displaying stuff on my living room TV, so not a huge loss... but maddening still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

i could probably post this in any pos thread, but what’s the go to cheap linux SBC with minimal HW quirks these days? my old raspberry pi is idling above 50°C with a heat sink so ideally low power modes would work with a stock kernel.