Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Whybird posted:

I think I posted this in an earlier thread but I still chuckle every time I think of the time I decided that my PC had picked up an unflattering nickname from his previous running career and not been able to shake it free, and then this happened:

One day some goon working on an AA rpg will heed my words and do a brief rewrite to dethrone BG2 as the champion of references to the PC's name. Until then, Hemorrhoids the Bhaalspawn reigns supreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 10 - New Crew Who's Who

Previously on Shadowrun Hong Kong: We officially became a shadowrunner for Kindly Cheng and we also joined forces with the Russian rigger Racter and his lively drone Koschei. Today we'll be spending the day touring our new boathome and getting to know the rest of our comrades within, starting from our adoptive brother whose cabin is next door from ours.

Well, that's that, I guess. We're runners now.

I forgot to ask about benefits. Think we get medical and dental care?

[He stops for a moment. Stares at the weapon in his hand.]

drat, I don't think we took the brochure. We'll have to ask for it the next time we have an audience with our Chinese syndicate crime lord.

Something on your mind, Gun Show?

[He holds up a palm.] Don't... just... don't. When we're alone, it's either Wu or Duncan. Gun Show doesn't live here.

[Wu looks down the barrel of his gun, brushes off some dirt.]

And yeah, there's plenty on my mind. That's why I'm doing equipment maintenance. The discipline of it helps me focus. Process. What about you? You look like you want to talk about something.

There's definitely no shortage of topics, what with more than a few things having happened since we last had the opportunity for a proper talk. Let's see...

I want to talk about Raymond.

Okay, shoot.

What do you think's going on with him?

I don't know, Shin. He was clearly obsessed with the Walled City and whatever prosperity is. He sounds like a sleepwalker trying to stumble his way through a dream or something. A sleepwalker who hires shadowrunners.

From triad bosses.

Raymond was smart. Smart as hell. I'm sure he had a reason for using Kindly Cheng as a Fixer.

He sure had no trouble getting us into a proper fix all on his own though.

Why do you think he came to Hong Kong?

Well, he's from here, right? It sounds like he had unfinished business that he needed to take care of before... you think he's dying?

That seems a little out of nowhere, have you been reading spoilers or something, Duncan? Well guess anything's possible, but can't say he's been regularly transmitting us his medical records or anything.

I don't know.

Yeah, me either. Just something to think about.

Did he say anything about me after I left?

So no. After you left, he never said a word about you. Not a word.

Ah well, he probably still missed us. Who wouldn't, really?

Let's talk about something else. Like about being shadowrunners.

You said you thought that Raymond was alive, too. That we'd run the shadows until we could figure out what happened to him. Was that true?

This is in reference to our stated motivation from the conversation with Kindly. We could claim what we told her wasn't true, not that we have any reason to.

Yes. For me, this is all about finding out what really happened to Raymond.

[Wu nods, clearly satisfied.]

Good that we're on the same page. I feel better knowing that.

What's your opinion on Kindly Cheng?

I'd say she's got us right where she wants us - right under her thumb. What do you want to talk about specifically?

What do you think she wants from us?

As long as her network keeps delivering information about Raymond, I don't care. At least, for now. We need to stay with her. We have no other connections in Hong Kong. Without her, we're dead in the water.

You think we can trust her?

A triad boss and underground Fixer? No, I don't think we can trust her. But as long as we all share the same goals, we should be okay.

I wish that I had your confidence.

True enough. She's such a dominant presence in this corner of the city that it's easy to forget that in the grand scheme of things, Kindly herself is certainly not irreplaceable.

What about this Plastic-Faced Man?

Creepy dudes are nothing new to me. Even well-dressed, creepy corporate dudes. Between the gangers we grew up with and the poo poo that I've run into as a cop, I've seen all kinds. I just want to know who he is and who he works for.

We should also keep an eye on Strangler Bao.

We should keep an eye on *everybody,* and that guy is definitely no exception. I've seen plenty of cold killers in the Barrens and plenty more since I joined Lone Star. This guy's the real deal - I'm not sure if he knows what the word "remorse" even means. You should steer clear of him.

I'll be careful.

Uh-huh. I can see that.

Alternatively, had we pissed off Bao earlier:

quote:

You sure got on his bad side earlier. You gotta be careful about making enemies here. We don't know anything about this place.

Don't tell me how to live. Screw that guy.

I'm just trying to watch your back, since you don't appear to be doing a very good job of it.

Let's talk about Gobbet and Is0bel.

They seem competent, considering how young they are. But then again, they sound like they've been taking care of themselves since they were pretty young. The three of us worked together well in the Walled City. Based on that, I'd bet the four of us would make a solid crew.

There's actually five of us now, but eh. Duncan and Racter will surely get along fine, they probably have a lot of mutual interests, like uh... bullets... or something.

Do you trust them?

As far as I trust any runner, yeah. It's like Raymond used to say, "Trust and verify." They haven't given me a reason not to trust them, so until they do, I'll believe what they say and keep my eyes open.

Is0bel seems sharper than most.

Hard to tell, she talks so little. I guess that's what makes her seem sharp. She isn't running off her mouth all the time. Plus she's a decker - never met someone who could jack into cyberspace, run a corp system, and come back alive who was a *complete* moron.

Dunno about that, in theory if you were lucky enough you could probably blitz your way through even the toughest systems without ever fully knowing what you're doing.

Gobbet talks to rats.

She's a Rat shaman, Shin. Of course she talks to rats. Remember that guy in the Barrens, JoeyD? Small time BTL guy - lived at the Royale Apartments? He had a Skunk shaman working guard duty for him. Covered him when he slept. Guess he figured that no matter what, the stink would wake him up.

Skunk shaman, huh?

Hellhound-based security works great right up until you realize your well-being will always be of lesser value to them than a juicy chunk of zebra meat.

I can't get that dream that I had out of my head. You said you had one, too, right?

Yeah, yours sounded like a nasty one. I don't remember much about mine. I was pretty creeped out by our run into the Walled City. Between that and all the drama, I'd be surprised if I *didn't* have a nightmare.

[He shrugs.]

Was the Walled City in your dream?

Of course the Walled City was in my dream. It was a nightmare, wasn't it?

[He gives you a lopsided grin.]

Was it in your dream, too?

Sure looked like it.

I'm not sure I'm surprised. The Walled City is more than just another slum in a sprawl. Hell, it *is* a sprawl. Of course we dreamed about it. The feeling I had there has stayed with me. It felt thick, heavy. And I got this overwhelming feeling of... I don't know... wretchedness, I guess. Is that a word?

Wretchedness? Yeah, it's a word.

Good to know.

[He shakes his head with a look of disgust.]

Glad to put that place behind me.

What do you remember about your dream?

What's with the teeth and breathing anyway, maybe we're just dealing with an eldritch location desperately trying to call out for a dentist?

Did it feel any different from other nightmares you've had?

[He takes his time, thinks about his answer a bit before he responds.]

You know how sometimes you'll be mad at a friend in a dream and then wake up still mad at him? Then you treat him like he did something wrong when you see him? It kinda feels like that to me. Like I dreamed I was swimming towards a bright light and when I woke up, I was out of breath from the effort.

I see. Well, let's talk again later.

Later's good. I wanna do some cardio, work off some steam. Then it's rack time for me. You should do the same, Shin. A couple hundred pushups would do you good.

Please. I could bust out two hundred in my sleep.

[He raises an eyebrow.] I'd love to see that sometime. But for now, you should clear out - I wanna get started, and this cabin isn't big enough for two.

We leave our bro to his broxercise and head up to check on the others.

They've sure managed to cram a lot of stuff in this boat, pretty sure we officially have the equipment to both create and command our very own robot army from this bucket.

Yeah, I've seen it. I like this better.

Thanks.

[She continues to study the cyberdeck's inner components, clucking her tongue. Skinny fingers dart in to label a stray wire with a strip of electrical tape.]

So, uh... you need something?

You must be pretty absorbed by what you're doing, huh?

Yeah. Sorry. This is a delicate process, and you're interrupting me in the middle of it. We can talk, but you're gonna have to be okay with me doing this at the same time.

Should I come back another time?

No, it's fine, I can multitask. I mean, if this bothers you, you can try coming back later... but I'll probably still be working.

[From behind, you see her shoulders lift into a shrug.]

Your choice.

Let me ask you a few questions, then.

[She leans in, scrutinizing the innards of the obsolete deck.]

Go ahead. I'm not stopping you.

Just to confirm...

Have you been having weird dreams recently?

[Her body goes still.]

Yes. I think that everybody has.

Me, too. And Duncan. We both had terrible nightmares.

I know. It happens more often than you'd think.

[She tilts her head in the direction of the Walled City.]

This kind of mass psychosis was common where I grew up. Everybody got it.

Mass psychosis? Seems more like a magical phenomenon to me.

[Her voice quickens.]

I don't really know what it is, and I don't think I want to. I just want to work on my computer in peace.

You've been sharing bad dreams with others since you were a kid?

[She nods.] In the Walled City. Just one of the many amenities of life in that hellhole. But this... having it happen outside of the slum... this is new.

So it's just always done that kind of thing, huh. It's like whoever was in charge of distributing unpleasantness in the world used that place to dump whatever they had left over once they were done.

That's quite a machine you're working on. Care to tell me about it?

She's my pet project. I call her "the Octopus."

[She waves a hand at the tangle of thick power cables that radiate out from the machine's central core.]

You might be able to guess why.

Did you do all of this yourself?

Mm-hmm.

[She yanks a fried chip from the deck's motherboard and neatly sets it aside, then fumbles in a nearby bin for a replacement.]

I had to make do with whatever I could find as a kid. Taught me a lot about being self-sufficient.

How well does it perform?

She's a monster. An absolute beast.

Could you build me one?

[She chuckles grimly.]

You wanna pay me for it? Actually, scratch that - I don't have the time. If I were to build a machine for you, I'd have to neglect the Octopus. Obviously, that isn't gonna happen.

drat, just imagine how efficiently we could read our mail and check the latest shitposts if only we had some proper hardware.

What is this thing made of?

Whatever I could find. Busted terminals. Obsolete cyberdecks. Aftermarket memory from Maximum Law's dumpster. Scavengers would kill for this stuff in the Walled City. But out here, people throw it away.

Why bother building your own machine? Don't you earn enough to buy something new?

[She scoffs at you.] Of course I do. That isn't what this is about. I built the Octopus myself. She's *mine.* And no one else in the world has one.

[She chuckles to herself as she eases a card into an empty expansion slot.]

Most deckers are early adopters. They buy whatever's newest... shell out huge amounts of nuyen in hopes of riding the bleeding edge. Stupid.

Why?

Because I can have five of last year's model for a quarter the price of that wiz new cyberdeck. And after I've finished daisy-chaining them together, the machine that I've built will run circles around your hot new deck.

Yeah. And you'll need a flatbed truck to carry it.

Do we look like we're hurting for space to you?

[She rummages in a bin to her left and pulls out a stick of solid-state memory. It disappears into the deck that she's working on.]

I've got a whole boat to work with - your cabin included, if I told Gobbet I needed it.

You wouldn't.

No. I wouldn't. I could if I wanted to, though.

Yeah, and someone could probably send your ship-sized computer to a watery grave with a few well-placed kicks to the hull. Better we all try to live in peace and harmony.

What about your portable gear? Your cyberdeck, software, that kind of thing?

It gets the job done. Might not be top-of-the-line, but I'm comfortable using it in the field. If you should happen to come across any more advanced hardware or software... either on the job, or on the discount rack at Law's Techno Palace... I'm not above taking donations. But barring that, I'm fine with using what I've got. Your call.

Alright. Can we talk about the ambush at Victoria Harbour?

I'd rather not. I lost friends there.

You didn't seem too torn up about it at the time.

I was. I may not show a lot of emotions, that doesn't mean that I don't have any.

[She returns her attention to the Octopus, turning her back on you.]

Then I'd like to get to know you better. Tell me something about yourself.

Something...?

[She pauses for a moment.]

Okay. I don't like small talk. Does that count?

Sure. It tells me that you don't want to be social.

Good luck maintaining that stance in our team though.

Look, it's nothing personal. I just don't think that I'm a very interesting person.

[She shrugs.]

Sorry if that disappoints you.

You really don't like talking about things other than your computer very much, do you?

[There is a long pause before she responds. When she does, she sounds vaguely hurt.]

I prefer not to. Nothing personal, like I said... it's just the way that I am. I've always been shy. When I was a kid, it was a survival strategy. Now it's a part of me, and I'm at peace with that.

There's nothing wrong with that. I just want to know who I'm running with. Don't you?

Yes. You're still a mystery to me.

[There is a long pause.]

I don't like mysteries. But I do enjoy solving them.

Think of it like a game of questions. We take turns until one of us wants to quit. Deal?

If that's what it takes to get our prying on, then let's have at it.

Deal. You go first - ask away.

[She studies your face.] We'll start off easy. Tell me what you really think about Duncan.

We haven't really been in contact for a long time, but it doesn't feel like our dynamic has changed that much since then. Which is to say,

He can be a pain in the rear end, but he's like a brother to me.

Interesting.

[Her eyes flit to the doorway of Gobbet's cabin. The corner of her mouth tilts upward into a slight smile.]

And a little familiar. Well. You've answered my question... I guess that makes it your turn.

How long have you been running the shadows with Gobbet?

That's a good question. I guess about four years now? A decent stretch by anyone's reckoning. And that would make it my turn.

[She pauses, considering.]

So tell me... what was your connection to Raymond Black?

He was my benefactor and mentor. I respected him.

The man got us off the streets and had us get our poo poo together. Whatever our other differences, that obviously counts for a lot.

In that case, my condolences. It's always difficult to lose someone who you respect. Your turn. Ask me a question and I'll give you an answer.

How did you and Gobbet meet?

[Her brow furrows, and after a moment, she screws her eyes shut.]

We met as kids. In the Walled City. My prison was her playground.

You okay, Is0bel?

Of course I'm okay. I'm fine.

[She shifts her gaze to the Octopus.]

I just... have a hard time remembering those days. My childhood is kind of a blur. And that brings us back to my turn.

[She gestures at the cabin walls around you.]

You enjoy it, don't you? Living like this. Working the shadows.

That's quite the assumption, seeing as we've barely done anything yet. At least at present it's pretty much like our downstairs tenant said, we do what we gotta to get where we need to get.

This is survival. I do what I have to. Enjoyment doesn't come into it.

[She blinks.] We may have more in common than I'd thought. Your turn again. Go ahead, ask me something.

Where did you learn to deck?

The Whampoa. I lived there for a while after escaping the Walled City. The people there were... difficult. We didn't get along. But it was a great place to learn. My turn again.

[Her head tilts as she studies your face.]

And, I think, my last question for you.

Nothing worth mentioning. Truth be told, I'm enjoying the change of scenery.

The fact that there is in fact such a thing as scenery to see is already quite the improvement. If only we could enjoy it under some better circumstances, this isn't turning out to be much of a dream vacation either.

Nothing? There isn't anything about your old life that you'll miss? I don't know whether to envy you or feel sorry for you.

poo poo. It's even later than I thought, and I've still got a long way to go before the Octopus is fixed.

[She begins to turn away, her attention fixed on the stack of partially disassembled cyberdecks arrayed in front of her.]

Aren't you forgetting something?

[She stops in place. Fidgets.]

If you've got another question, go ahead and ask. But be quick about it.

I need you to tell me what you can about the Walled City.

[Her voice goes cold.]

...Why?

I know that there's more going on there than I've seen. Raymond Black wanted to go in there, and somebody destroyed my life to keep him from doing that. That hellhole is even getting into our heads and influencing our dreams.

[Her cheeks flush, just like they did the last time. She averts her eyes.]

No. I'm sorry, but... no. Later, maybe. But not now.

All right, Is0bel. Maybe next time.

[Blinking, she turns away and buries herself in the Octopus's splayed innards.]

Please excuse me. I have work to do.

Ah well, gotta respect people's boundaries, we did only just meet recently and all. Gobbet's cabin is here too, so let's poke our head in there next.

My entire life just got erased and the cops want me dead. I'm doing great, you?

Oh, everything's just ducky over here. My friends are dead, I'm on my boss's poo poo list because of it, and I can't even eat a bowl of soup in peace.

[She skims an oily slab of faux ham off the top of her soup and pops it into her mouth. Chewing thoughtfully, she looks back up at you with a smile.]

So it's all good, Seattle. I'm happy as a clam, just like you are. Now, you wanna tell me what you're doing in my bedroom...? I'm assuming you're not here to admire the view.

Ooh, think it's time to bust out the Berlin classic for the first time. Exciting!

What did you think about that last run?

Ugh. Don't remind me. That place is every bit as foul and screwed up as I remember it.

[Gobbet shudders, wrapping her arms tightly across her body.]

If you ever want to drag me back there, you'd better have a drat good reason for it.

I have to say though, I'm impressed with how you handled the run. None of the Yellow Lotus soldiers died, and Kindly's not the kind of person to forget little details like that. Getting on her bad side is a great way to get a fast ride into an early grave, so it's good you stepped lightly on this one.

That's us alright, "Featherfoot" Taz, the bane of minefields across the globe.

Have you had any nightmares recently? Like, bad ones?

[Her jaw stops working mid-chew. Slowly, she nods.]

Yeah... yeah, I have. We all have. Everyone in town.

Everyone, huh? Doesn't that strike you as odd?

Sure does. But then, lots of odd stuff happens in Heoi.

[She casts a furtive glance over her shoulder.]

...In case you hadn't gotten the memo, we aren't in the best part of town.

Shouldn't there be mass panic, then? I mean, this ranks pretty high on the list of things to get freaked out about.

[She chuckles softly.] Yeah? I think that your list is different from mine. The people of Heoi have learned put up with a lot worse than bad dreams. I'm not saying they shouldn't be freaked out. I'm just saying that when you live in a place like this, you'll usually have at least twenty other things to worry about... tangible things, the kind that can put a bullet in your head.

You think that this is a magical phenomenon, then?

Yeah. Yeah, I think it is. Want my personal opinion? The Walled City is cursed. Deep down, I think that everybody knows it. And we live in its shadow. That's bound to mess with your head, y'know?

If you're so sure of that, why stay in Kowloon? Why not pick up and leave?

Oh, I was planning on it. But now, with the APB in place, Auntie Cheng is the only thing standing between us and a bullet in the head. Believe me, I'd leave if I could. But I'm a lot more frightened of the HKPF than I am of a few bad dreams. At least the dreams can't hurt us, right?

If you say so.

[She tries on a smile. Fails. Does her best to laugh it off.]

Don't worry, Seattle, we're fine here. But, uh... let's talk about something else, huh? I don't like thinking about the Walled City very much. Too many old fears and bad feelings.

Yeah, certainly doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people feeling warm nostalgia towards the place.

Alright. Then, how did you decide on the name "Gobbet," anyway?

I didn't.

[She pops a noodle into her mouth and chews.]

My mom did.

So "Gobbet" is your given name? Your mother named you after a wad of meat?

Naming people after food? That's pretty out there, who has ever even heard of such a thing?

[She shrugs.] Yeah, sure. I don't think she knew what it meant... she just thought that it sounded pretty. You should get used to that, by the way. People here in Hong Kong like to stand out, and choosing unique names is one of the ways that they do it.

You aren't using a street name? Isn't that dangerous for a shadowrunner?

Nah, not really. I'm SINless. There's no electronic record of a girl named Gobbet even existing. The only thing that could really threaten me would be, oh, say... the HKPF attaching an APB to whatever file they do have on me. *That* would be terrifying.

Glad to see that you're keeping a sense of humor about it.

Yeah, well. If you can't laugh about this, what can you laugh about?

If you're up to talking about it, I wanted to go over the ambush back on the docks with you.

Yeah...

[She nods slowly, frowning.]

...Yeah, I figured you would. That was a hell of a thing, right?

I'd go a little further than that. It was a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

[She nods.] Yeah. That it was. Nightjar and Gutshot were two of the strongest men I've ever known... quality shadowrunners, both of 'em. I've watched those two fight through situations that'd kill anyone and come out on top. And how do they go out?

It was a real bad scene alright. But hey, if you look on the bright side...

They went quick and clean. We should all be so lucky.

[She shakes her head from side to side.]

No way. Not me. When I die, I wanna know what's coming. Just winking out like that is the worst thing I can imagine. Even a drawn-out, painful death would be better... at least I'd have time to say my good-byes.

Scream them, you mean.

Sure. Scream 'em. Whatever. The point is, I'd know that I was on the way out, and I could at least try to do something about it. Earn myself an A for effort, right?

[She plunges her spoon back into the bowl, sloshing ham-scented broth up over the rim.]

Nightjar and Gutshot... they never got that chance. It's loving depressing.

Carter didn't get to choose, either. She went down in the alpha strike just like your teammates did.

Yeah. She seemed like a good woman... tough, skilled. Light on her feet. But in the end, it didn't matter, because some rear end in a top hat with a rifle made a decision a half a mile away.

[She falls quiet, staring into her soup.]

You got us out of there, though. We're all still alive because of you.

Our own gut has some pretty mixed feelings seeing someone sharing their soup with a rat. Cute... but also, ew.

I'd like to learn more about Rat. What kind of totem is she?

[She slurps thoughtfully at her soup.]

A clever one. She's gotten me out of more trouble than I care to mention... gotten me into a fair amount of it, too. But I can always count on her to lead me out of hot water when I need her to. I can feel it in my belly, y'know? Sort of a tugging sensation. I've long since learned to follow it.

I wasn't aware that totems took such direct control of their shamans.

If we were a shaman we could specifically mention that our own totem has never done anything like that.

Umm... hey.

They say hi.

[She brushes her fingers across the white rat's mottled coat.]

Don't trust Folly. She bites.

Good to know, we'll make sure to update our rodent relationship charts accordingly.

Interesting choice of names.

I like the way they sound. Madness and Folly. It has a nice ring to it, right? My girls remind me not to take myself too seriously.

Do you always let them drink out of your own bowl?

[She shrugs.] Sure. Why not? We're all a part of the same nest.

Is that hygienic?

Probably not. But I've never gotten sick, so...

[She raises an eyebrow, scoops a noodle out of the bowl, and pops it into her mouth with a satisfied smile.]

Besides which, I get shot at for a living. I've got bigger things to worry about than a few stray hairs in my noodles.

How did you come across Madness and Folly?

[She raises an eyebrow.] I looked outside...? I mean, they're rats. Hong Kong isn't experiencing a rodent shortage, or anything.

So you just picked them up off the street?

Yep. Think of them as rescue vermin. You could probably do the same if you wanted to. It's easy, just walk into any alleyway in Kowloon after sundown and stick your hand in the first dumpster or storm drain that you come across. Keep fishing around until you touch fur.

That sounds like a really bad idea.

Yeah, in retrospect, it might've been.

[She continues to brush Folly's coat. The creature chirps happily at her touch.]

Odds are about fifty-fifty that you'd get your hand chewed off. I'd probably feel bad about that.

We need to find fewer topics that involve us hypothetically losing a limb to something, it's slowly starting to feel like unpleasant foreshadowing.

You seem pretty comfortable with all of this. Been running the shadows for a while?

[She dips her chin.] A long time. Started when I was just a kid.

You're still a kid now, Gobbet. What are you, nineteen?

[She rolls her shoulders. Shrugs.]

Something like that. Your guess is as good as mine. Doesn't change the fact that I've been doing this for years, and you started yesterday.

You aren't "wizened," Gobbet. Back in Seattle you couldn't even order a drink without a fake ID.

[She smirks.] Good thing we're not in Seattle, then. But my point is still valid... you need to learn the basics, and I'm offering. Starting the next time you visit, I'm gonna teach you all about being a shadowrunner. You're gonna benefit from my bountiful experience. Wait and see.

Lucky me.

For some reason it's pretty difficult to conjure up a mental image of Gobbet the Wise doling out crime wisdom without that image looking like it was drawn in crayon, but there's certainly no denying that we can use any help we can get. Guess you never know, could even be interesting.

Y'know, Seattle... this has been a nice chat and all, but it's getting late, and I still have the rest of a hot pot to power through. So, without wanting this to get awkward...

[She glances toward the door.]

Oh, c'mon, we were just getting started.

Don't be a quitter now, we're still a few thousand characters from the limit, can easily squeeze in at least one or two more topics in there.

You're not good at hints, are you? Taking them, I mean.

[She glances toward the door again, more pointedly this time.]

See what I just did there? That meant "leave," but in a polite way. Look, I'll do it again.

[Another glance, complete with a sweeping arm motion ushering you out.]

All right, all right, I get it. Talk to you later, Gobbet.

Yeah, we'll do that. It'll be fun.

And that's that for today, time flies when you're spending it with your dear comrades so we didn't have the time to take a look around town today after all. Next time though! Until then!

Duncan asked if the motivation we gave to Kindly Cheng was true, and here are the other possible answers to that:

Yes, if it doesn't have a price associated with it, I'm not interested.

Seriously, that's it? It's just about the money? I guess your time in jail really changed you.

[He shakes his head.]

This is all about Raymond for me. I need to understand what happened to him and who's responsible. I need justice.

-

You know it's true. When I got out of that prison I had nothing. I still have nothing.

That's bleak. Seriously bleak. We really went in different directions, Shin - you to jail and me to Lone Star.

Another version of the same:

You know I don't have anything back home. This is as good a life as any, I guess.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Holy poo poo, Shin, you did some time.

-

Yes, this is all about revenge for me.

Be careful about taking the road to revenge, Shin. It usually ends at two grave sites.

-

Yeah. I lost years of my life in that prison. I wanted a fresh start. I still want one.

I want that for you too, believe me. But this is all about Raymond for me.

Finally:

Was what you said true?

No. That's just what I told Kindly.

Then what's the real reason?

Actually, that was the real reason.

At least you're consistent.

---

Gobbet of course also has post-run comments for the other Walled City run outcomes as well.

"Killed Lotus members" version:

I don't care about the Yellow Lotus, but having killed them... Kindly's not likely to forget that. Ever. I know she said she counted on you to mess the job up, but be careful. You go against her orders on a more important job, she might put all of us in an early grave.

"Ghost murder" version:

[After a moment, Gobbet gets a mischevious twinkle in her eye and she draws herself up straight.]

I can't believe you set a ghost loose on Bao's men. Or that Kindly didn't believe me when I told her about it! Tsk. See if I help her out, if a ghost ever comes for her.

---

Unlike in the previous game, only crew members that actually participated on a run will comment on it when asked. Duncan's views about the Walled City trip were covered in his standard conversation, but here are Is0bel's comments:

What did you think about that last run?

[Is0bel shivers, looking away from you.]

I'm still mad at you for making me go back there. I'd say it hasn't changed, but it seems like it has. For the worse. It's just like I remembered it, but darker. Meaner. The perfect place for a thug like Strangler Bao and his goons.

It was a good move to avoid getting in a fight with Bao's men. I wouldn't shed a tear for a single one of them, but Kindly is ruthless. Going against her wishes is a good way to buy a one-way ticket into a shallow grave. She never forgets the people who do what she asks, though. Especially when she expected them to screw up.

"Killed Lotus members" version:

Be careful with Kindly. Even though she said she counted on you to screw the job up, that's not a good thing. That means she was counting on you to be unreliable and disposable. If you screw up a bigger job - one she's counting on going by the numbers - she might decide to dispose of all of us. For good.

"Ghost murder" version:

Was that really a ghost we set on Bao and his men? I don't really believe in ghosts... but I'm still afraid of them. If it *was* a ghost, they got what they deserved. If not, I'm sure they earned a world of hurt some other way.

---

Finally, we didn't opt to do it but it's possible to request Gobbet to use some other nickname than "Seattle" which she then will from there on out:

Heyya, Seattle. How's tricks?

They'd be a lot better if you'd stop calling me "Seattle." Can't you come up with something better than that?

'Course I can. I can come up with all sorts of things. Can't promise that you'll like 'em, though. Tell you what... why don't you just tell me what you *want* me to call you? It'd probably be easier that way for both of us.

You go by your street name, right? I want you to call me by mine.

[She shrugs.] Kind of a mouthful, but hey. If that's what you want, then so be it. Taz it is.

or:

How about "killer"? Sounds appropriate, right?

[She chuckles through another mouthful of soup.]

Yeah... sure. "Killer." Very imaginative, and not ridiculous at all. Let's go with it.

or:

Personally, I like "boss." Call me that.

[Her eyes twinkle as she smiles at you from behind her bowl.]

Yeah... sure. "Boss." That's you, all right... I mean, you only just got here, and you don't know a thing about life in Hong Kong, and you only just started shadowrunning. Seems appropriate to me.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Part 10 - New Crew Who's Who

Are we one of Gobbet's rats now? :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Good to see the classic HK East Meets West dish of elbow macaroni in soup with ham still exists, albeit altered because people in the slums can only afford soy and mycoprotein nowadays.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I bet that even in the sixth world lovely Asian instant food is still kinda good.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

quote:

: Is that hygienic?

Probably not. But I've never gotten sick, so...

IIRC Rat shamans are more resistant to disease than your average chummer. But I can't remember where I read that, so it might not be true!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Maybe not from their totem but the lifestyle definitely gets them a cast iron stomach.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Space Kablooey posted:

Are we one of Gobbet's rats now? :v:

Can't be, she didn't offer us any soup.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gobbet is my spirit animal.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kanfy posted:

She's a Rat shaman, Shin. Of course she talks to rats. Remember that guy in the Barrens, JoeyD? Small time BTL guy - lived at the Royale Apartments? He had a Skunk shaman working guard duty for him. Covered him when he slept. Guess he figured that no matter what, the stink would wake him up.

Skunk shaman, huh?

Hellhound-based security works great right up until you realize your well-being will always be of lesser value to them than a juicy chunk of zebra meat.
His name was Stevie J actually. Guess Gunshow's memory is slipping.

habeasdorkus posted:

IIRC Rat shamans are more resistant to disease than your average chummer. But I can't remember where I read that, so it might not be true!

I mean "resistant" might not be the right word, no. Gobbet eats things that would give a medical waste incinerator food poisoning.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can't be, she didn't offer us any soup.

That may very well be for the best. You'd probably have to burn a point of Body or Essence or something.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

That may very well be for the best. You'd probably have to burn a point of Body or Essence or something.

Karma. :v:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The interesting thing about Racter, relative to the other party members, is that his intelligence is a character trait that's useful to solving problems.

Like, in the same way that Gobbet can offer her opinion as a shaman in terms of analysing magical phenomena, Racter can sometimes offer his opinion as someone skilled in most of the hard sciences.

So if you're trying to cover your bases on a mission and you really want to take Gobbet and Is0bel for magic and decking, Racter makes a decent heavy hitter. Koschei tends to not quite be as useful as Duncan, but Duncan tends to not be as useful in conversation.

Koschei is still fun to use though and I enjoyed using it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bewilderment posted:

The interesting thing about Racter, relative to the other party members, is that his intelligence is a character trait that's useful to solving problems.

Like, in the same way that Gobbet can offer her opinion as a shaman in terms of analysing magical phenomena, Racter can sometimes offer his opinion as someone skilled in most of the hard sciences.

So if you're trying to cover your bases on a mission and you really want to take Gobbet and Is0bel for magic and decking, Racter makes a decent heavy hitter. Koschei tends to not quite be as useful as Duncan, but Duncan tends to not be as useful in conversation.

Koschei is still fun to use though and I enjoyed using it.

Yeah, each character in this covers some skill checks in dialogues that the player might not have statted out - Is0bel is obviously a decker and does decking things, Gobbet is a shaman and can both sense spirits and do a little astral perception, Duncan is your Eiger option that knows Security and being swole and... not much else. As for Racter, I'm sure we'll get into his specialties when he joins us on a run.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Racter is good, but Gobbet is better. If only we were all so lucky as to have someone like her as a mentor/comrade/surrogate sister.

Also worth noting, orks reach maturity at like 12 and rarely live past 40. Nineteen or not, by both shadowrunner standards and ork standards, Gobbet's basically middle-aged.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 13, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sr participates strangely in the ol cyberpunk standby of immortal god corpo leaders cuz it also participates in the ol fantasy standby of immortal god dragons elves spirits and poo poo

cf. evo / yamatetsus board. chairman is ork who got leonization to reduce his age, biggest shareholder is a free spirit who is too fuckin anime

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PMush Perfect posted:

Racter is good, but Gobbet is better. If only we were all so lucky as to have someone like her as a mentor/comrade/surrogate sister.

Also worth noting, orks reach maturity at like 12 and rarely live past 40. Nineteen or not, by both shadowrunner standards and ork standards, Gobbet's basically middle-aged.

I think I recall it depends if they were born as orks or goblinized later. If you're born as an ork, then yeah your life expectancy is low. If you're born human then change, you get human life expectancy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think I recall it depends if they were born as orks or goblinized later. If you're born as an ork, then yeah your life expectancy is low. If you're born human then change, you get human life expectancy.
Correct! I forget the exact dates involved, but goblinization probably started happening well before Gobbet was born. (Though the mental image of Gobbet being a normal human baby who got named after meat and then goblinized is loving hilarious.)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
uge is elves and dwarves, and then goblinization of orks and trolls. uge of babies, goblinization of adults

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PMush Perfect posted:

Correct! I forget the exact dates involved, but goblinization probably started happening well before Gobbet was born. (Though the mental image of Gobbet being a normal human baby who got named after meat and then goblinized is loving hilarious.)

I believe Goblinization started in the late 2010s? I think the first cases were in 2019.

But yeah, UGE (unexplained genetic expression) started happening around 2012 when the mana cycles changed and the Sixth World began, and babies started being born as Elves and Dwarves. There were also “Spike Babies” who were born as Elves before the official changeover to the Sixth World due to a sudden spike in mana or something like that.

Also, I forget if orks being born in litters is still a thing in SR canon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I was reading Shadowrun Tv tropes tonight and they mentioned elves who ended up with Orc brothers when the magic first came back. Surprising we don’t see that sort of situation in the games.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Must be pretty rare, considering that the metatype lineages are partly genetic IE: an ork union usually begets orks and the occasional mainline human.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

PMush Perfect posted:

Gobbet is better. If only we were all so lucky as to have someone like her as a mentor/comrade/surrogate sister.

Oh my sweet, summer child.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Finally finished the Dragonfall LP and now I'm all caught up. Amazing work, Kanfy! Looking forward to this one; HK is such a good game. :allears:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 11 - Hello to Heoi (Part 1)

We had some good talks with our crewmates and are sure to have plenty more in the future, but there are also other things to see in Heoi than just the home team. Like our mission computer, for instance.

If you've played Dragonfall, this menu should look very familiar as it is in fact identical to its German counterpart. We have a big ol' pile of mail waiting for us, though half of those are job offers which are listed among ordinary messages this time around. We're going to handle taking on missions the same way we did in Dragonfall, which is to say one at a time as we proceed to do them rather than vacuuming them all up now and inevitably forgetting what it was that we were tasked to do twenty updates ago.

We'll come back to pick up our first job once we're done looking around Heoi, for now let's look through the other three messages.

quote:

>>From: Kindly Cheng
>>To: Taz
>>Subject: Welcome to Heoi

Taz,

On behalf of your friends at The Heoi Chamber of Commerce and the Swift Winds Mahjong Parlor, I welcome you to the community of Heoi and to our new business venture. I have already lined up three jobs for you. The details of each are contained in a separate computer message. Remember to check your messages often as I will update you with new opportunities as they occur.

-Auntie C.

quote:

>>From: Is0bel
>>Subject: Your Mission Computer

Hey, Taz. I've set up your mission computer to automatically collect and collate news reports, information and media that might be of interest to you. Some of the keywords I've got it trolling for are things like "Raymond," "Duncan," "Walled City," et cetera.

I've also patched in a permanent link up to the Hong Kong shard of the Shadowlands BBS. It's a great place to connect with other runners, sell paydata, get news from the street, and so on. Don't be shy about taking a look.

-Is0bel

quote:

>>From: Bao JianJun
>>Subject: Resources

I have been instructed to inform you of the various suppliers present in Heoi. Auntie Cheng has cultivated a commercial district of well-stocked and trustworthy vendors. Whoever you choose to do business with, you will be in good hands.

Ermine Ka Fai at Club 88 is an excellent resource for acquiring additional weapons, should you require any. If you are in need of magical supplies, go to the Parlor of Five Phases. If you desire training in the path of the adept, seek out Spider Shen. She can help you, as well as supply you with any close-quarters weapons that you might desire.

Chrome Alley can supply you with cybernetic enhancements and medical supplies. The proprietor, Ten-Armed Ambrose, is a cybersurgeon of some repute. Law's Techno Palace is a Whampoan-run supplier of the local decking community. The place is hard to miss, just look for a sign glowing in the sky. If you need drones, Reliable Matthew's Robot Bazaar is your best bet, and I pity you.

Best of luck in the shadows. As fresh meat, you are likely to need it.

-Strangler Bao

Moving on to the BBS end of things, we have no pay data to put up for sale because we committed the grave sin of not bringing a decker to our previous excursion and thus miss out on a bounty of 270 nuyen, but we can at least peruse the hot social media topics of the day.

[You: Rappelling down the side of an unnamed luxury hotel in a ball gown on Monday night.
Me: Admiring the view from the twenty-eighth floor urinals during a private soirée for an unnamed corporation that I was infiltrating.

Our eyes met briefly before you dropped out of sight. Your long, dark hair had come loose from your chignon, framing your beautiful, flushed face. I will never forget it. You were carrying a duffel bag, bulging with stolen prototype weaponry. Well, I filched the intel that goes with it. Can we connect?]

- BlackJack <02:47:18/08-12-56>

[Very funny, BlackJack. I’m sorry the job went sideways. I got trapped and had only one way out.]
- RedQueen <04:13:58/08-12-56>

[We were supposed to have each other’s backs. Just wait till you hear the way out that I had to take…]
- BlackJack <05:01:20/08-12-56>

[We gotta lay low for now. And why are we posting about this on a public message board?!]
- RedQueen <04:13:14/08-12-56>

[Been hearing some buzz about some mainlander terrorists that showed up in Victoria Harbour and had a shootout with the HKPF the other day. Anyone heard anything on that.]
- Dongjiang <08:22:08/08-12-56>

[Ming Pao said there were four of them that got away - one troll, two orks and a dwarf. A troll, an elf and a human were all killed on the scene. Word is that they're members of the White Star out of Henan, coming here to start trouble against the Executive Council.]
- Wharf Rat <08:24:12/08-12-56>

[Looks like there's a ¥50,000 reward for any information leading to their capture. The HKPF seems pretty nervous about letting these bastards walk freely around the streets.]
- H34v3nShot <08:31:42/08-12-56>

[You think they'd actually pay out to somebody like us? Not a chance. You walk in there to claim the reward, you're getting thrown in a hole with them. The HKPF doesn't keep promises to the SINless.]
- Freedom Cowboy <08:46:51/08-12-56>

[Couldn't hurt to try! Why d'you have to be such a downer?]
- H34v3nShot <09:02:19/08-12-56>

[Because I know the police. They're all dirty, they're only in it to protect their paychecks, and they don't give a drat about anybody else. Believe me, I'm just looking out for your best interests.]
- Freedom Cowboy <09:07;29/08-12-56>

[Like you and your triad 'looked out' for my brother? You know he's still paying for his reconstructive surgery, you bastard?]
- Dongjiang <09:14:43/08-12-56>

[If a man wants to keep his teeth, he should pay what he owes rather than pull a gun on me. Simple as that.]
- Freedom Cowboy <09:18:03/08-12-56>

[I've got a courier job next week that's supposed to take me into the Walled City. I'm from Kuala Lumpur, and I've never been to Hong Kong, but I hear that place is dangerous as hell. Is there anything I should know?]
- Hantu Raya <12:22:04/08-12-56>

[Oh, you've got nothing to worry about. It's just a low-cost housing development full of hard-working people. Here, take a look at this news report!]
- Freedom Cowboy <12:22:04/08-12-56>

[A short trid clip begins playing.]

This is Sunny Cheung with Horizon News. On today's "Sunny Side Up" - the Kowloon Walled City. A blight on the Free Enterprise Zone, or low-cost housing for the economically disadvantaged? We'll introduce you to some of the hard-working residents, how they live, and how they contribute to the growth and prosperity of our city.

What we saw will shock you. Citizens of Hong Kong, working and living just like the rest of us. Their apartments are smaller, and their shops more modest, but the people who live here wouldn't be out of place anywhere in the FEZ. Citizens like shoemaker Chow-sang Tsui.

[The scene cuts to an elderly man in a closet-sized stall filled with shoemaking equipment. He smiles broadly at the camera.]

Oh, I love it here. We have a community, you know? We're like family. Maybe we don't have as nice a view as they do in Repulse Bay, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. It's not paradise, no - but it's my home. I grew up here. How could I possibly leave?

[Okay, I've decided to cut the rest of that crap. She keeps going on about what a good place the Walled City is, and how we all need it. Don't buy any of it. It may not be hell, but you can see it from there. Freedom Cowboy's just trying to get you in trouble.]
- Is0bel <18:02:24/08-12-56>

[So how do you know the real story?]
- Hantu Raya <18:08:47/08-12-56>

[Because I grew up there. You know what it's really like? It's eating old broth made from rat bones because there's nothing else. It's watching your neighbors sell their five year old son to organleggers so they don't starve to death.]
- Is0bel <18:12:39/08-12-56>

[When you die in the Walled City, your neighbors cheer, because they'll get the clothes off your back. I wouldn't wish the Walled City on my worst enemy.]
- Is0bel <18:14:20/08-12-56>

[Ladies and gentlemen, poets and shadowrunners, welcome to the first annual Shadowland poetry slam! There are no rules, and there are also no prizes (except bragging rights). With no further ado, let the versification begin!]
- MatrixBard <10:12:12/08-12-56>

[How long do you think we can keep this going before the trolls show up or a sysadmin shuts us down?]
- Jivebert <10:15:55/08-12-56>

[Why would they shut us down? It's a free board, we can be poetic if we want to.]
- T3nn1s0n <10:17:02/08-12-56>

[Just... trust me. It happens. For some reason, these things always draw the worst sort of attention.]
- Jivebert <10:18:31/08-12-56>

[Are you going to give us a poem, or are you going to stand around complaining about why you can't?]
- MatrixBard <10:19:41/08-12-56>

[All right. I've got one. Wait for it...]
- Jivebert <10:20:41/08-12-56>

[Synthmuscle. Smartlinks.
Neural boosters. Cyberlimbs.
All fall to grenades.]

- Jivebert <10:20:41/08-12-56>

[A little musing on the transience of life in the shadows. Very nice, sir!]
- MatrixBard <10:22:16/08-12-56>

[When the long shadows fall on Hong Kong,
Neon lights pierce the coming night.
Tread with me the velvet blackness;
Let no lamp shine on our deeds.]

- T3nn1s0n <10:24:49/08-12-56>

[That one’s entitled, “Our Hour.”]
- T3nn1s0n <10:25:32/08-12-56>

[That might just have been the most pompous thing I’ve ever read. Try this on for size:

Lasers are red,
Shadows are black,
With Mad on the street,
You’d best watch your back.]

- nowyourmad <10:34:13/08-12-56>

[My poem wasn't pompous, you uncultivated rube! It was a homage to Wang Wei, the famous Tang dynasty master of the jueju form of poetry! It’s *traditional,* unlike that ridiculous limerick that you posted.]
- T3nn1s0n <10:36:52/08-12-56>

[Now, now. I don’t think you have to take the word “slam” quite so literally.]
- MatrixBard <10:42:09/08-12-56>

[Hey - you people know the rules. Poetry slams have been out of bounds on this BBS since the Laughing Man debacle of '55. If you want to sling your fancy words, do it on a different forum. I'm shutting this thread down.]
- SYSOP <10:57:51/08-12-56>

[Told you.]
- Jivebert <11:03:28/08-12-56>

Enlightening stuff. Alright, let's go stretch our legs for a few, figure out what kind of neighbors we're sharing our temporary new home with.

We'll go at it clockwise, which first brings us to the pretty sinister-looking building at the northeast edge of the docks. This would be the magic store mentioned in Bao's message, Parlor of Five Phases. Not sure if we have much to shop for here, but in this place if anywhere it seems like a good idea to keep track of which way the magical winds are blowing.

By the looks of things, any wind that blows too hard in here will have this place go up in flames real fast with all these candles and kindling so close to each other. Dig the skull paperweight though.

Huh. There's a certain degree of smugness we've come to expect from magical merchants that we're not really detecting here. Unexpected... but not necessarily unwelcome.

Taz. Nice to meet you.

[She shakes your hand. Her grip is surprisingly firm.]

So, Taz. What can I do for you? I've got spells, alchemical reagents, foci... whatever you want, really. Might have to do some digging to find it, but if it's magical, it's around here somewhere.

I'd like to see your wares.

Our style of magical abilities aren't sold here, but let's have a look at what kind of spells other people throw around these days so we know what to expect. Starting from the mage selection (and excluding spells we've already seen):

Mages have quite the arsenal available to them from the start, mostly limited by the meager starting funds, including some Rosa classics like Flamethrower and even Mind Wipe. Chain Lightning and Spell Focus: Life Siphon are new additions. Blood magic's become so mainstream these days.

The shaman selection is rather more humble (though also includes Haste I and Armor I which we've already seen). Standard poison-free Fog costing 2 AP makes it pretty unusable and most enemies don't care about Slow, but the Barrier spells can be handy. Air is the weakest of the bunch though.

The consumable section has a bunch of standard elemental summoning fetishes, but also something completely new: Fetishes that aren't used but instead give permanent stat boosts when carried. We're not currently in a dire need of +1 Charisma (especially as external bonuses don't unlock etiquettes) and can't afford the Willpower one right now, but we'll definitely keep these in mind. Consumable slots aren't particularly hard to give up.

Finally, the various stores sell different flavors of an outfit with 3 Armor and no stats (indeed no outfit in Hong Kong provides anything but Armor). Any improvement to our current rags is welcome, but we'll hold off on these for now as well.

Anything else?

Say, Crafty... have you had any vivid dreams lately?

[Her face is unreadable. Her eyes lock onto yours.]

As a matter of fact, I have, Taz. But we all get the occasional vivid dream - nothing special there.

[Gesture to the books on the tabletop.] Really? Then why are you reading up on them?

[She flicks her wrist dismissively.] Sure, it's a little weird that *we're* having them, but these types of dreams are common in the Walled City. Nothing to get all worked up about... probably.

Strange... I met someone the other day who said that, too.

That so? It just so happens that we're looking for information about that place, maybe fortune's smiling on us for once.

Where's your mother now?

Dead.

[She shrugs.]

Mom was... interesting. But not praiseworthy.

Figures.

Is this your store, or do you just work here?

It's mine. I inherited it from my mom. As you can see, she generously left me all her research journals.

[Her words are thick with sarcasm.]

Mom was never a big cleaner... but neither am I. She used to keep spirits around that helped her manage the place. They're not here anymore, but sometimes I swear my books aren't where I last placed them. Who knows - maybe they pop by for visits. I just wish they'd clean while they're here...

What makes this store so special?

It's old. Respectable. Built over a dragon line.

[She slightly tilts her head to the side.]

We also carry texts unavailable anywhere else. But I guess, for me, I'm drawn to this place by the nostalgia.

How do you like working here?

It's a job. Can't complain.

A decent job that you're even alright with doing, that seems like a particularly strong hand around these parts. Around a lot of parts, really.

Alternatively:

quote:

Sounds horrible. If I were you, I'd sell the place and bail.

[A twinge of annoyance manifests as a half frown and narrowed eyes.]

Easy for you to say. You have no obligation to this place. I'd appreciate it if you'd think before you speak, next time. Good day.

What's with the name of the store?

The theory isn't common among younger generations, but it has its uses. My mother was strongly influenced by it. In fact, our sign out front is a visual representation of the cycle of five phases. It was an inspiration to her.

[She raises a shoulder in a half shrug.]

I just think that it looks neat.

Maybe consider a nice lantern or something for the fire part though, that creepy torch doesn't make the place look particularly welcoming.

Tell me about yourself, Crafty.

I'm not sure where to start. What do you want to know?

What do you do when you're not at work?

I've been pretty crunched here at the shop, so I don't have a lot of time outside of work. But when I'm off the clock, I like to read and paint... maybe kick back and enjoy a meal with my friends. My buddy Gobbet sometimes stops by with food. No drag racing or anything. Pretty boring.

I know a Gobbet. Wonder if they're the same person.

How do you know her?

We work together.

Good. Keep her by your side. Gobbet's pretty fluent in the ways of this city and the people who live here - she knows her stuff. If you stick with her, you'll find yourself in a lot less trouble than you would otherwise.

Kinda get something of a troublemaker vibe out of her, to be honest. But she certainly did save our rear end once already, and apparently we're now her shadowrunner apprentice or something. No clue what to expect from that one.

You said you paint?

Just for fun. I don't make any money off of it or anything like that. I just find it... relaxing.

[She pats her arms.]

Designed my tattoos. But that's about the extent that I take it beyond the canvas.

Mind if I see that tattoo? I can't quite make it out from here.

That's amazing. Really professional-quality work.

[An embarrassed smile creeps into her features. She scratches her shoulder.]

You're being way too generous. But I'll take it. Thanks.

Ever try painting things from the dreams?

No. I'd never taint my canvas like that. What happens in the dreams should stay there. Best keep it out of our waking lives as much as possible.

No argument there, now we just need someone to convince the dreams of the same and we'll be totally golden. At least on that front, kind of a lot of other stuff going on in our own personal life right now too.

What do you like to read?

[She smiles at you for a moment before speaking.]

Kidding. Well... for all you know. I tend to stray toward detective novels. Maybe some suspense and horror. And when I'm not reading for leisure, I study my textbooks to keep my magic sharp.

Is "Crafty" really your first name?

No...

[A wave of nostalgia seems to pull her gaze toward the shop's front window.]

The name started out as a joke, actually. Back home, my mom used to call me Crafty, since the meaning is similar to my given name. I liked it because of the way it sounds. I insisted that my family call me Crafty, so it became a sort of nickname around the house. When I got older and started school in Hong Kong, I made my mom register me as "Crafty," and it stuck.

Ooh, don't say it!

Let me guess. Your first name is... Phyllis.

Yes.

Wait. Seriously?

[When she looks back at you, her eyes are pleading.]

Now that you've uncovered the truth, what will you do about it?

Tell *everyone.*

[Shoulders slump, eyes grow heavy. Her voice is now hardly louder than a whisper.]

You're right. It's time. Time to come out and tell the world who I truly am.

Er, we kinda figured we were doing a bit here, but...

Really?

[Her acts shatters as you see her struggling to hold back a smile.]

Oh. I get it. You really had me going for a moment there.

The temptation was too great. Anyway, name's Miao. Yes. Like a cat. You foreigners always make that same joke, which is why I grew up hating Miao. Call me Crafty. Now, where were we?

Tsk. Fitting enough, it seems.

Your mother sounds like quite the mage. Did you study magic, too?

I sure did. Natural predisposition.

[She flexes her arm.]

Or whatever. But Mom and I learned the craft differently. I went to a university, and she was book taught.

Back on the previous topic... What else do you know about the Walled City?

Very little. Just that my mother spent most her time in there, and she...

[She shifts her weight. Leans onto the counter.]

Well, it messed her up. Is there something specific you want to know about?

What can you tell me about the city?

[She runs a hand through her hair. Exhales.]

Where to begin? The Walled City's always been a hellhole. It started a bad place. It's still a bad place.

Now, there's a whole library here that just so happens to be the foremost location for Walled City texts. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

I get the feeling that your relationship with your mother was... unusual.

You'd better believe it. She was *obsessed* with the Walled City. Put it before everyone in her life. Mom ate, slept, and breathed that city.

That definitely doesn't sound like the basis of a healthy and balanced lifestyle. And can't even imagine the halitosis.

I can see how that'd be hard to deal with.

She'd visit the city under the protection of the Yellow Lotus, and spend hours - sometimes days - studying it.

[Crafty tears her eyes away from the books and returns her gaze to you.]

Mother was consumed by her research.

Did she ever find anything?

She sure tried. Mom thought she could find a way to purify the place and to exorcise its demons. Her obsession with the Walled City grew, and she devoted more and more of her life to breaking its curse. Wish I could say she fell off the radar. But really, the rest of the world fell off of hers.

What a way to spend your childhood.

It is what it is. And here I am.

[Crafty gives you a warm smile.]

Hey, look on the bright side though... at least you had a mother. I can't even remember mine.

[She looks stricken.]

Are you for real? poo poo, Taz.

Yeah. It was difficult, but I obviously came out fine. Well, fine-ish.

I'd still argue that not having a mother is better than having a worthless mother. But these things affect us all differently. Maybe I *am* lucky I had one growing up. Either way, I'm sorry you didn't.

Don't worry about. I guess we share something in that respect - a lack of active mothers in our lives.

[She nods grimly.] What a bleak way to bond. Why don't we change the subject before this turns into a soap opera moment...

Sure. So, it sounds to me like you don't believe in your mother's research.

Mother's research... was stupid. Just plain stupid. She wasn't stupid herself. No, Mom was very bright. But her obsession was downright unhealthy. *Anyone* could see that. The Walled City is a toxic place, home to dark spirits and astral influence, but Mom believed in a singular curse at the heart of the place.

Interesting theory. We're not a cursologist or whatever, but it feels like it'd take one exceptionally juiced-up curse to affect an entire city section to that kind of degree.

Sounds like she was trying to make a real difference there.

My mother failed to change the Walled City, and the time she spent inside there changed her. She grew sickly and became moody... irritable. She suffered from night terrors the rest of her life.

[Crafty languidly sweeps a small clump of dust off a nearby book.]

It must've been difficult to watch her decline like that.

So, after Mom died, I turned my back on her work, and left the Walled City and its people to themselves. It's a toxic site *beyond* rehabilitation. I do my best to ignore it.

[Her composure breaks for a second, and you can see Crafty shift nervously behind the counter.]

At least, I've tried. Now that these dreams - these *nightmares* - are leaking out of the Walled City, I wonder... I wonder if I can still ignore it.

Always a lot easier to ignore your creepy neighbor while they're *not* actively leaving fresh squirrel tails on your porch at night. Continue to pretend that everything's totally cool after that though, and it's last partially on you when Mr. Nutsy finally decides to come to extract your fleshy chestnuts for his winter hoard.

We always have a choice.

I guess I have a lot to think about.

[She crosses her arms and raps her fingers against her skin.]

Anyway, thanks for lending me that ear of yours.

It's cool, we have a spare. We have our own reasons to keep prodding at this subject of course, if her mother really was on to something here, her research could shed light on Raymond's connection to the Walled City too. Or maybe help us avoid getting our brain chewed on while we sleep.

I've been thinking about the dreams while we've talked. Can I ask you something?

Go ahead.

Why do you think they're affecting people outside the Walled City?

It's definitely strange. Until now, I always thought the dreams were nonsense. That my mother just had night terrors because of her madness.

[She props her chin up with her right hand.]

Maybe... the Walled City's curse is real.

[She rubs her hand down her face, obviously frustrated.]

I just *don't know.*

Maybe you can learn something from your mom's journals. Of all the people here, you have the greatest advantage when it comes to investigating these dreams.

That's true, but... My mother's notes are scattered all over the shop. Most of her research is scrawled in the margins of the books that you see on the shelves and piles and stacks all over. The clues we'd need to figure this thing out could be in any one of these volumes, and there are *thousands* of them.

I have a bad feeling about these dreams, Crafty. If there's anything we can do to get to the bottom of them, we need to take that opportunity.

All right, Taz. I'm going to get started. Now. But it'll take time - the Parlor of Five Phases is jammed from floor to ceiling with books, and any one of them could hold valuable information. Check in once in a while, and I'll share my findings with you.

Sure thing. Keep me updated.

[She clucks her tongue and points a finger at you.]

Will do.

Alternatively:

quote:

If I have time.

You'd better *make* time. I'm not going to haul rear end for you to waltz in when you please and give me sass. You keep the investigation going on your end, and, in turn, I'll tell you what I've found. Got it?

Okay, okay. You're right.

[She nods, satisfied.] 'Course I am.

Thanks, Crafty. See you later.

See you around.

That ended up being a longer talk than expected, but who knows, maybe it'll lead to something worthwhile. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if Crafty finds anything relevant in the depths of that paper mountain.

Moving on, the real dedicated Go players we passed by earlier are still at it. They look like they might've been around for a while, could have some interesting stories to tell.

The name's Taz. Got a second to answer a question or two?

[Shyu nods.] I could use a short break. How about you, Gin?

[Gin sighs, shoulders slumping forward. After a moment of scowling, he reluctantly speaks.]

Fine. A *short* break.

[The two elders turn toward the younger man.]

Pretty unusual trio we have here. Guess the classics can really bring the generations together.

I've been hearing about strange dreams here in Heoi. Have you had any nightmares recently?

[The three men exchange looks. Shyu turns to you.]

What a coincidence. Wasn't but an hour ago that we were all discussing that very thing. We have been having bad dreams. Every one of us.

Interesting. You mind sharing?

[Shyu waves his hand dismissively at Gin.]

Don't mind him. He's always been a poor sport. But he raises a good point... some of our dreams contain information best left private - just as yours do, I'm sure. Having just met, how can we be sure that you'll respect our personal information?

Something pretty intense about this younger guy. Wonder what kinda history these three share.

I appreciate it. Go ahead.

[He exhales slowly, then begins speaking.]

I dreamed of a long, dingy hall. When faced with such a thing, one generally walks its length, so I lifted my right foot and placed it in front of me. But upon taking that first step, I found myself instead drawn down an alleyway to my left. It wasn't there before, this alley. It appeared only as began to walk.

[There's a moment of silence before Shyu speaks up, the rosiness in his cheeks having drained away.]

I, too, saw the long hall. My own experience was different, however. The hall was far off in the distance, and I was looking down on it from a strange angle... as though I were perched on a wall high above.

Oh. Good.

Of course, I didn't have the best view up there on that wall, or... wherever I was. It could have been anyone. Perhaps this old mind of mine is seeing your face now, and misremembering the dream.

[He lets out a chuckle, and a small flush of red returns to his cheeks. He looks over at Gin.]

Alright, Gin. Go ahead.

[Gin broods in his corner, arms crossed and jaw set.]

I've changed my mind. I don't want to share my dream.

Nonsense! Master Lau and I have both told her our dreams. And now it's your turn.

[Gin sticks out his lower lip.]

No.

Eh, we get it, having some foreigner you've never seen before waltz up to you and start grilling you about your dreams is a little weird.

It's fine. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to.

[He holds his palm up toward you and looks at Shyu.]

See? Straight from the horse's mouth! I don't *have* to.

Gin.

[Lau's voice is firm, but soft.]

This is important.

My dream began as a nightmare. I dreamed of the failures and mistakes that I've made throughout my life. The people I've let down, the competitors I've crushed, the wife who died in hospice without me. I dreamed of the family that I abandoned.

[As his remembrance ends, so does his lightened mood. His face shrinks into a pout, and he stares grumpily at the ground.]

There, I did it. You happy?

[Lau nods slowly.]

Thank you, Gin.

You have my thanks, too.

Yeah, yeah. Now can we change the subject? My ulcer's acting up.

Not sure what to make of any of that, though it would appear there's at least a bit more variety in these dreams than it initally seemed.

I'm guessing you've been around these parts longer than I have. Is this sort of thing... normal?

If it were normal, we wouldn't be huddled around discussing them in whispers now, would we?

Enough of that, Gin. Taz here asked in earnest for our advice. She deserves a proper response.

[Shyu gives you a gentle smile.]

Please forgive our friend. Bitter years have left him suspicious of others.

[Suddenly, his cheeks flush. He blinks twice, then looks away.]

...But perhaps these are just the ramblings of an old man. Please forgive me.

[He scratches his nose, embarrassed.]

You speak wisely, Shyu. It is foolish to embrace a thing that you do not understand. What Gin and I saw in our dreams was alluring, but so is the light to a moth. Your instincts are still strong and sharp, my old friend. It is wise of you to trust them.

[Shyu bows deeply, his eyes to the ground.]

Thank you... I can only hope these dreams do lead to something beautiful. There's already enough deception in this world.

[Gin groans loudly.]

Can we get back to the game now?

I don't want to keep you.

Of course. Stop by again sometime soon, Taz. Your company has been refreshing.

Thanks. Good luck with your game.

Appreciated, young woman. We'll be seeing you.

Next, our tour around town brings us to the colorfully decorated drone store and its proprietor. "Reliable Matthew's Robot Bazaar" apparently, as per the sign and Bao's message.

Hey there, beautiful... welcome to our little floating heaven. You've got a discerning look to you... what brings you to Reliable Matthew's Robot Bazaar?

[He taps ash over a bulky cleaning drone beside him. Not waiting for an answer, he continues.]

Perhaps you're looking for a hexacopter as a guide to Hong Kong... or a little handheld tarantular beauty, to brew your tea?

Are you calling me "beautiful"?

You know it, beautiful. I hope I don't offend... I just can't help it! To me, everybody's beautiful, baby!

Definitely a dedicated salesman, this guy. But everyone can use a compliment from time to time, even an empty one.

Right back at you, beautiful.

Oh! A woman after my own heart!

You're Reliable Matthew?

That's right. Reliable Matthew Shun, at your service.

[He extends his hand, to shake. The odors of peach-scented moisturizer and stale tobacco smoke wash over you.]

How about it?

[Shake his hand.] Pleasure to meet you, Reliable Matthew.

Always, always. Welcome to our little patch of peace on the river. I think you'll really love Heoi. It's just a fantastic place. Well... now that we're acquainted, maybe I can brighten up your day a bit. What's on your robot list, friend?

Can't say robots are really our specialty, but they're still fascinating to see and learn about.

I'm interested in your combat models.

Funny you should ask... I've just gotten a Doberman that I'm selling at an incredible bargain price! Shall we take a look?

Incredible bargains, huh? They fall off the back of a truck?

Are you implying that they're stolen? If so, you're mistaken.

[He smiles indulgently, as if you've just said something in an alien language.]

This merchandise is provided *only* by trusted suppliers, who certify the authenticity and workability of their goods. I don't furnish manufacturer's certificates... but all the providers are really top-shelf guys, really beautiful people. Otherwise, I wouldn't carry their drones!

Where do these trusted suppliers get them?

Where do Fan's prawns and soychips come from? Or Lucy's lovely textiles? Or the electricity for the lights?

[Reliable Matthew sweeps his arm expansively at the heavens, trailing a stream of blue cigarillo smoke.]

Where do we get this GLORIOUS BLUEBIRD SKY!?

Right...

Do these suppliers certify the untraceability of their goods?

Absolutely!

[He proudly taps the Aztechnology logo emblazoned on a housework model beside him.]

The majority of them are genuine knockoffs... any IDs are stripped, but most were never registered in the first place!

Could I be a supplier, if I had a spare drone?

Well, it's a very exclusive process... you need to be a member of the community in good standing, have good references, and pass a background check.

[He smiles widely. His eyes seem to twitch over you, nervously.]

Or... if all you have is the drone... I can *work with you.*

I think I understand the situation.

Fantastic! I like to make sure all customers are thoroughly informed, and feel *completely* comfortable with their purchases.

Let's look at drones, then.

Great! Like the old songs say: "A drony day is a happy day!"

Boy, this guy is a lot. But it's true that his selection is nothing to sneeze at:

Drone variety has come a long way since the Shadowrun Returns days so it's kind of a shame we don't get to play around with these things, not that we could really afford the good stuff right now anyway. A specialized Hong Kong rigger is an incredibly strong archetype, but our blade will serve us just fine on the power front too. Eventually.

And that's just about all we have space for today. Folk are pretty chatty around these parts, and we're not done meeting them all yet by a long shot either, so we'll be continuing in this same vein, next time.

- As a minor but neat detail, Strangler Bao's mail about the various shops closes slightly differently if you pissed him off earlier: "Considering the disrespect that you seem content to casually spew, I would suggest that you acquire a small arsenal. You are more than likely to need it."

- Also a quick showcase of the two outfits that were available from Crafy's and Matthew's which we didn't buy:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 8, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hong kong names gonna hong kong name, man

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

quote:

Poetry slams have been out of bounds on this BBS since the Laughing Man debacle of '55.
I appreciate that even in the future, wildly over the top shitposts are still a thing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MagusofStars posted:

I appreciate that even in the future, wildly over the top shitposts are still a thing.

i think this is an actual callout to game lore

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think this is an actual callout to game lore

Or its a reference to Ghost in The Shell.

I had a funny moment of dissonance reading the conversation with Crafty where I was like "who the gently caress is that chatty with someone they just met" and then i'm like oh yeah duh video games.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it doesnt feel like shes a weird used bookstore owner but, structurally, shes a hella weird used bookstore owner and its straightforwardly realistic for her to do some weird used bookstore owner poo poo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Is there a conversation tree to make her not just open up about her childhood and start doing homework for you?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hong kong names gonna hong kong name, man

It’s not just Hong Kong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56442439

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Is there a conversation tree to make her not just open up about her childhood and start doing homework for you?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. As in, is there a path you can take that'll cause her to refuse to talk about her mother or investigate the journals? In that case no, at worst she'll end the current conversation if you're rude enough, but asking her to start investigating is always open once you've brought up enough related topics and she'll always reluctantly agree to it. End of the day it's not just for us since it's affecting her and everyone else around, we just gave her a little nudge is all.

Obviously you can just choose not to ask her about this or that, and ultimately talking to her at all at any point in the game is completely optional.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Reliable Matthew is my favorite NPC in this game.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GimmickMan posted:

better characterized than 90% of AAA game protags

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I might like Ambrose a little more, but it's close. I need to play a Rigger in this game one of these days.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I like Strangler Bao best thus far. “Acquire a huge arsenal. You’re likely to need it.” :D

Btw, I was surprised we got Crafty as our magic salesperson instead of a certain smug elf. Maybe he shows up later?

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 7, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Reliable Matthew is cyberpunk Stan from Monkey Island.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
If you're going to play SR:HK yourself, I suggest talking to Crafty early and often.

Also, does the game openly mention at some point why, exactly, the much more youthful appearing Lau knows and hangs out with the geezers? I can't recall if it's text or subtext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, does the game openly mention at some point why, exactly, the much more youthful appearing Lau knows and hangs out with the geezers? I can't recall if it's text or subtext.

That sounds like the kind of thing we'll just have to wait for and find out!

But generally speaking, while there aren't that many conversations with the Go players compared to most other NPCs, the subject can be brought up eventually.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 7, 2021