Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bleck posted:

seriously though please stop telling people to get Flinch Free instead of just getting good at the game

what else am I supposed to slot into all of these level 1 gem slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

v1ld posted:

Capturing the poll at 420 responses for posterity:

Clusters, arbitrarily:
- Hammer, Hunting Horn
- Gunlance, Switch Axe, Charge Blade, Dual Blades
- Lance, SnS
- Greatsword, Longsword
- Insect Glaive, LBG, Bow, HBG

This kind of grouping based on individual prefs is way more interesting than S+ tier weaponzzzz!!!!

I love my glaive and I知 enjoying bow. What does that say about me?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bleck posted:

seriously though please stop telling people to get Flinch Free instead of just getting good at the game

One of these things you, the player, have control over.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

4. If your group is 2 carts in and the monster is weak enough: capture it! gently caress the etiquette. If one more person carts, the hunt ends and you're all going to be disappointed. Better to get some reward than none.

Yeah, I think my advice with capturing is:
  • If you're specifically on a capture quest, obviously capture the monster.
  • If you're going for a material that's easier to get by capturing, ask first. There's an auto-translated "let's capture it" message you can use for this.
  • If the monster is within capture range and your group is on their last cart, 100% capture the monster. Even if someone is going for something they can only get from carves, a capture is still better than a failed quest.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Alxprit posted:

I annoyed some of my friends the other day using Wyvernheart because it flinched them a lot and I told them to get Flinch Free but they said it's unreasonable to need it because a smart player would just not trip their friends. But like, there are many cases where tripping is unavoidable, so at the very least I've resigned myself to having it all the time. What do y'all think, should one drop Flinch Free when playing with close friends or keep it on anyway?

I think adding flinch free is a small thing to ask, but I find the very pervasive assumption that everyone has it and that you should feel free to act accordingly to be obnoxious. Like yes adding it is very easy but so is just playing courteously lol

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Thanks Harrow And Tyler Too! Now that I知 in HR I知 going to be doing more group stuff so the advice is helpful. (If this were my thread I壇 put it in the OP)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That said despite all that "here's when it's appropriate to capture" stuff, realistically, the vast majority of groups you're going to find right now are going to capture. It's safer and I bet a lot of players who started with World have no idea that there are materials you can't get as capture rewards in Rise, so they just default to capturing. It's possible this will become less prevalent as knowledge filters out that there are rewards you can't get by capturing, but for now, expect that if you join a join request, the group's probably going to capture the monster.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

wuggles posted:

I love my glaive and I知 enjoying bow. What does that say about me?

Dunno, but it's good to have company in the same bracket as the LBG I'm using.

The call of the Gunlance is strong. I was loving it in a World restart before Rise came out and it's so much better in Rise - maybe even the best it's ever been? Both CB and SnS look great too, as does pretty much every weapon.

Maybe true endgame for now is just restarting with every weapon.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I was capturing everything when I started for that reason before I realized sometimes carving is good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The vertical hitboxes have got to be the most confusing thing in this game. Sometimes you can vault over the monster with ease like here other times it seems like a monster just looks at you funny before sending you back down to the ground.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the heavy bowgun

a mighty weapon that dares to turn the paradigm on its head, plant its feet, and tell the monster "no, you move."

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Deviant posted:

the heavy bowgun

a mighty weapon that dares to turn the paradigm on its head, plant its feet, and tell the monster "no, you move."

Lol. They need to switch the in-game description to this.

E: The LBG is great in this game and I'm enjoying using it. But it's almost too good in that pierce gunning is quite easy when you're at a distance and yet so mobile. The HBG has a much better risk/reward feel, just wish they'd improve its skills a bit. Compared to what other weapons get, it feels a bit lackluster.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 6, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Is there anywhere ingame where it tells you if a tail is severable vs just breakable? I checked the hunters notes and reward tables and was unable to find this information, but I could have easily missed it since so much info is displayed there

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

v1ld posted:

You can put the minimap it in detailed or general mode but I haven't found a way to save the filtering/icon highlight options you can select from the main map. I just select them manually if I go on gathering expeditions.

This is what I do too. I was really hoping I could save my preferences like with gear loadouts. Oh well! This is still better than no customizing of icons!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In my day we used to fight monsters on a team of 4, not on a team of a cat and a dog and an owl and an old man and a young cook and a set of twins and a bunch of nameless mooks on cannons that you figuratively rope into helping you and a khezu that you literally roped into helping you.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Is there anywhere ingame where it tells you if a tail is severable vs just breakable? I checked the hunters notes and reward tables and was unable to find this information, but I could have easily missed it since so much info is displayed there

Maybe look to see if any drop is from a tail carve?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I know its a net benefit for everyone but im bummed that the x -> x combo for the axe mode of charge blade no longer launches your fellow hunters into the air.

Fortunately, L2 charge dash on the strength hammer still does. All the more reason to use strength over courage.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

It's not quite ideal because you still have to get a material first before it shows up on the drop table, but the detailed breakdowns that you can get will show you what you need to break/carve to get a chance at a drop. If a tail is severable you'll see Tail under the Carves subheading for a drop, otherwise you'll probably only see Body.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just got my flinch free deco slotted so I'm not sure of this happens anymore but it's been countless times where I wirebug vaguely in front of a gunner and get shot down back on my rear end

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RuBisCO posted:

I just got my flinch free deco slotted so I'm not sure of this happens anymore but it's been countless times where I wirebug vaguely in front of a gunner and get shot down back on my rear end

Being in the air changes things, I think you'd need Jump Master to prevent that

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

MMF Freeway posted:

Being in the air changes things, I think you'd need Jump Master to prevent that

On one hand gdi but on the other hand it's funny

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How does applying elemental damage to an attack work? If a weapon has a damage number and an elemental damage number, and a monster has a weakness to that element or no weakness to it, how does the elemental number factor in to how big the number you do ends up being?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Reiley posted:

How does applying elemental damage to an attack work? If a weapon has a damage number and an elemental damage number, and a monster has a weakness to that element or no weakness to it, how does the elemental number factor in to how big the number you do ends up being?

you will literally have to watch youtube videos to find out

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I think all you can do is go through the Materials tab of the notes and see if there's anything listed as Carves: Tail

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

RuBisCO posted:

i can say with absolute certainty that when this happens, the HBG player is on their couch someplace yelling

PULL!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you will literally have to watch youtube videos to find out

I am really into this Diablos bow so I was curious what the damage output cost was for the simplicity of having one gigantic bow instead of five elemental ones and I think this post answers my questions very succinctly, thank you.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Kokoro Wish posted:

Sounds like you're headed for Long Sword, m'boy.

"But Kokoro," he replied, "I am LS Main."

Seriously though, it's so nice. If I'm soloing, the stun makes it great for KO's, and the quick sheath 2 opens up armor options so much.

Does evade window/extender work with the iai moves?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my job here is done

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Bleck posted:

Someone's never tried to hit a downed monster's head with Hammer while the spastic long sword users knock you out of the way, with a nice, attached tail flopping around on the other side of the monster.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

Someone's never tried to hit a downed monster's head with Hammer while the spastic long sword users knock you out of the way, with a nice, attached tail flopping around on the other side of the monster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reiley posted:

I am really into this Diablos bow so I was curious what the damage output cost was for the simplicity of having one gigantic bow instead of five elemental ones and I think this post answers my questions very succinctly, thank you.

The answer is: for bows, elemental is better, but you will need to have a bow of every element and know which monsters to use them on (and have decorations to boost elemental damage) for it to matter. If you're doing fine with your Diablos bow, then you're doing fine and don't need to chase down a bunch of elemental bows just to squeeze out a little bit more DPS.

If you do end up wanting to watch some Youtube videos to learn about elemental damage, this video has a pretty detailed breakdown of which elemental bows are good and what armor skills to pair with them. Again, not at all necessary unless you get to the point where you decide it would be fun to make and use some elemental bows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UOwo89Cv0s

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

:hmmyes:

Getting one flinch free decoration made it tolerable to start playing with pubs when using SnS or Hammer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Harrow posted:

The answer is: for bows, elemental is better, but you will need to have a bow of every element and know which monsters to use them on (and have decorations to boost elemental damage) for it to matter. If you're doing fine with your Diablos bow, then you're doing fine and don't need to chase down a bunch of elemental bows just to squeeze out a little bit more DPS.

This video has a pretty detailed breakdown of which elemental bows are good and what armor skills to pair with them if you end up deciding you feel like making some extra bows, though:

Thanks! I was more curious how it worked since I've put up big numbers with elemental bows leveling up, I'll give that video a watch. I was at 6 attack boost before but I got an amulet with 2 constitution and affinity sliding so I did some reworking and my diablos set is 4 con 3 attack 3 crit eye 2 evade extend, I got -1% affinity before sliding ad the bow feels like it simulates always having power coating. It feels good enough that I can just hop on with friends and hunt whatever we want without making them wait for me to rebuild my loadout each time.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

FireWorksWell posted:

I mean yeah I've been there and it sucks but I'm specifically responding to the poster who said "I keep shooting my friends with the gatling gun and they keep complaining? what the hell?"

like just. don't shoot your friends. shoot the monster,

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rise is the most Japanese game I've ever played and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reiley posted:

It feels good enough that I can just hop on with friends and hunt whatever we want without making them wait for me to rebuild my loadout each time.

Saving equipment loadouts can help a lot with that, so you can switch between elemental loadouts really quickly before each hunt. Back in World I had a ton of loadouts saved that I would hop between for different weapons or elemental/status builds with like SnS.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kirios posted:

Rise is the most Japanese game I've ever played and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Fine? Disappointed that you haven't played any games heavily inspired by a given culture before? If you want more of it, play Toukiden 1 and 2.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Harrow posted:

If you do end up wanting to watch some Youtube videos to learn about elemental damage, this video has a pretty detailed breakdown of which elemental bows are good and what armor skills to pair with them. Again, not at all necessary unless you get to the point where you decide it would be fun to make and use some elemental bows.

I also think I致e noticed I値l want several different types of bows as well. Lagombi was too small for pierce to be effective, but it would have worked great on a bigger guy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bleck posted:

I mean yeah I've been there and it sucks but I'm specifically responding to the poster who said "I keep shooting my friends with the gatling gun and they keep complaining? what the hell?"

like just. don't shoot your friends. shoot the monster,

So here's the issue. Shot-based hitboxes are weird and if I'm not hitting the weakpoint of the monster, typically the head, my damage is much much worse. I get that most everyone wants to be hitting the head but depending on who I'm shooting it can be a much less effective strategy to try and aim where everyone isn't. And I didn't mean to come off as arrogant or saying that my damage is obviously worth the most, but after having played most of World and Iceborne with Flinch Free playing Lance specifically and playing part of this game with Lance without Flinch Free and having it cost me hits because I end up getting knocked out of my guard before a monster hits me... everyone will end up making mistakes, no matter how good a player they are, and I think the skill exists for a reason. You can't always be mindful of everything every single time.

That being said, I improved my aiming game a bit more as the night went on. I was just bothered by that comment because I thought to myself, I thought that we as hunters had all just determined that level 1 Flinch Free is mandatory, and suddenly it isn't. That's what bothered me more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The gyro aim options in this game are really robust, you can toggle when and how sensitive gyro aim is in basically every conceivable situation. Like I have it disabled outside of holding ZL and it makes precise aiming really easy, it's as close to mouse & keyboard as you can get on a Switch and if you're a gunner and haven't explored the gyro settings yet I highly recommend it.