Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Kayla 8 hr ago

I can see that Emily put a lot of thought into this, and that's great. But for me as an vaccinated person with no kids, it's so simple that no calculator is needed. The risk to me is now essentially zero. Yeah yeah, but what about the risk to others? Well, unvaccinated kids are at an extremely small risk of serious illness or death. Unvaccinated adults either will be vaccinated within a month or two or they will choose never to be vaccinated, and their risk is their own choice.

In other words—I'm back to restaurants, travel, the gym, socializing indoors and all those wonderful normal things! I don't plan to wear a mask again unless legally forced to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i had a dream a few days ago that i went to get my first pfizer shot but at the vaccination site there was a sign that said i was getting the moderna one instead and that freaked me out in the dream even though i know both vaccines are fine

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Tzen posted:

In other words—I'm back to restaurants, travel, the gym, socializing indoors and all those wonderful normal things! I don't plan to wear a mask again unless legally forced to.

the blue maga karens are going to be responsible for more deaths and destruction than the red maga qanon-ers

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fosborb posted:

hahah holy poo poo she built a calculator so you can justify meeting all your unvaccinated friends with your unvaccinated children too! filled with a bunch of completely bullshit assumptions!

https://twitter.com/ProfEmilyOster/status/1379416793538646017

https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/what-can-i-do-a-calculator

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LGPRgkZbarBI6YNUURJ54qCa8UylJD2X4ZGtWQfgLRk/edit#gid=0

sure, lets run with the 66% effective J&J shot at 2 weeks. Or any other modeling of vaccinated people having any risk lol

none of this is true / proven for the population at large except that yes, the vaccines are really, really good

complete loving bullshit pulled out of her rear end

at least no one fuckign knows how to interact with google sheets so this wont really do any damage. its just embarrassingly stupid

I have made spreadsheets for eve online that are significantly more rigorous and complicated than this. i also actually formatted them and made them look nice. maybe hillary clinton can interview me about them

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Edit nvm

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

any real risk calculator would need to account for how socially promiscuous each person you're planning to meet with is, because an unvaccinated covid thread reader who's been sitting on their bean hoard for the last 12 months is still less of a risk than a vaccinated dude who's going to packed ballgames maskless

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crack ping. Her dogshit opinions are going to be the stick that forces everyone back to "normal"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mod sassinator posted:

i really like Aaron Collins recommended BOTN brand KF94 masks. he tested them and they're like 98% efficient and on par with the best of any kind of mask or protection. the KF94 style is great because you can tighten it to your face very easily. when i shave and wear one i can immediately feel it tightly sealing and pulling into my face a bit with each breath--it's a solid seal. they're better at not fogging up glasses with a nice tight upper seal (and you could even put tape over that top part to really keep breath from going into glasses). they look really unobtrusive and normie, and they fold up into a perfectly flat and easy to carry or store thing. the south koreans really have their poo poo together with mask design

also if you want to be bold, there are kickin rad printed versions of them now too: https://masklab.us/

Someone at my office was wearing one of these on a teams call and I was totally wondering where they got it. Thanks! Good to know they're legit.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Dustcat posted:

any real risk calculator would need to account for how socially promiscuous each person you're planning to meet with is, because an unvaccinated covid thread reader who's been sitting on their bean hoard for the last 12 months is still less of a risk than a vaccinated dude who's going to packed ballgames maskless

yeah her spreadsheet has a "Risk Multipler" for each person that's set to 1 (baseline). no instructions or idea how to tweak that upwards for people that do stupid poo poo

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

silicone thrills posted:

Someone at my office was wearing one of these on a teams call and I was totally wondering where they got it. Thanks! Good to know they're legit.

yeah our man Aaron interviewed masklabs, they seem legit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWRzs2WhaE

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Stereotype posted:

I have made spreadsheets for eve online that are significantly more rigorous and complicated than this. i also actually formatted them and made them look nice. maybe hillary clinton can interview me about them

I would literally be fired if my organizations work product was remotely similar in quality

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nothus posted:

Crack ping. Her dogshit opinions are going to be the stick that forces everyone back to "normal"

Emily Oster is science now. You must listen to her.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

fosborb posted:

hahah holy poo poo she built a calculator so you can justify meeting all your unvaccinated friends with your unvaccinated children too! filled with a bunch of completely bullshit assumptions!

https://twitter.com/ProfEmilyOster/status/1379416793538646017

https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/what-can-i-do-a-calculator

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LGPRgkZbarBI6YNUURJ54qCa8UylJD2X4ZGtWQfgLRk/edit#gid=0

sure, lets run with the 66% effective J&J shot at 2 weeks. Or any other modeling of vaccinated people having any risk lol

none of this is true / proven for the population at large except that yes, the vaccines are really, really good

complete loving bullshit pulled out of her rear end

at least no one fuckign knows how to interact with google sheets so this wont really do any damage. its just embarrassingly stupid

Good God she'd make a powerful goon

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Worse than what :thunk:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mod sassinator posted:

yeah our man Aaron interviewed masklabs, they seem legit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWRzs2WhaE

Im still wearing a half respirator to work and places where I know people are being stupid and risky but I just ordered a pack of 10 of these for less risky poo poo like trail heads and such.

Also good news. latest covid test came back negative. Apparently my body is just violently opposed to all the pollen right now and I just should take more loving allergy meds.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mod sassinator posted:

i really like Aaron Collins recommended BOTN brand KF94 masks. he tested them and they're like 98% efficient and on par with the best of any kind of mask or protection. the KF94 style is great because you can tighten it to your face very easily. when i shave and wear one i can immediately feel it tightly sealing and pulling into my face a bit with each breath--it's a solid seal. they're better at not fogging up glasses with a nice tight upper seal (and you could even put tape over that top part to really keep breath from going into glasses). they look really unobtrusive and normie, and they fold up into a perfectly flat and easy to carry or store thing. the south koreans really have their poo poo together with mask design

also if you want to be bold, there are kickin rad printed versions of them now too: https://masklab.us/

ty, i will consider this, especially as my daily mask supply is dwindling

love to be fully vaccinated, and still looking for the best mask protection, while white lady biden voters scream about personal choice

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kid's preschool/day care got two positives, thankfully the rooms are all separate and no mixing but poo poo is popping off in MI. The two rooms are being closed for some time. Thank god my kid wears her KF94 all day. Still sucks!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sonatinas posted:

my kid's preschool/day care got two positives, thankfully the rooms are all separate and no mixing but poo poo is popping off in MI. The two rooms are being closed for some time. Thank god my kid wears her KF94 all day. Still sucks!

As a non kid haver I really have a hard time imagining a kid actually leaving a mask on all day. Especially a preschooler. Will they really do it?

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

mod sassinator posted:

How often do you have to replace them? Or is this like regular N95s, where you just store the used ones in a bag for a week and cycle in a new one each day?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Petey posted:

anyone in NM know good hacks on getting a vaccine appt? My brother was turned away from his J&J today for not having his health insurance card on him, and the site he used for that shows nothing for a month out

Are any of the local tribes offering up vaccines to the larger public? I heard that the tribal health services were kicking rear end at deploying the vaccines and a lot of them were sticking whomever wants one at this point

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

As a non kid haver I really have a hard time imagining a kid actually leaving a mask on all day. Especially a preschooler. Will they really do it?

mine does but had to test a lot

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Pump Jockey posted:

How often do you have to replace them? Or is this like regular N95s, where you just store the used ones in a bag for a week and cycle in a new one each day?

i have a 10 pack and rotate through a different one each day. been doing that for 3 months or so now and it's fine. from what i understand the failure mode for a mask like this is that it just gets harder to breathe, it doesn't lose efficiency in some dramatic way. you also just want to be careful you aren't getting it too dirty and bacteria grows inside--i keep mine hanging in the sun and they have at least 3-4 days of not being used back to back

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Lol I cant see vaccine appointments if I say I'm an essential worker with asthma but I can if I say I'm a correctional officer with no health issues

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lol I cant see vaccine appointments if I say I'm an essential worker with asthma but I can if I say I'm a correctional officer with no health issues

make a post in QCS and you are a forums correction officer

go get that shot

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

hmm the two rooms that are closed are the head start ones so that’s additional pressure on families who need help

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lol the BC government has decided active case numbers make them look incompetent so they have stopped providing that.

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1379556483134758914?s=19

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dreadite posted:

is covid what seals my commitment to being a recluse and never reproducing

lol as if that seal wasn't already in place long before covid

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Wife's office in Arkansas (hq is elsewhere) told them they should all expect to return to office b y September and all employee specific flexibility is done. They're allowed a transition period from June to September but no more wfh after that lmao.

We're not moving but they literally had VP presentations extoling the great work everyone was doing wfh and how they wanted to be flexible yadda yadda so just following the same bullshit Amazon and google are doing now. Who picked September first and why? What is the point in forcing people who can work remotely back into the office when there is still risk for outbreaks and sickness? What do you do if you have kids who can't be vaccinated or are high risk?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Glumwheels posted:

Wife's office in Arkansas (hq is elsewhere) told them they should all expect to return to office b y September and all employee specific flexibility is done. They're allowed a transition period from June to September but no more wfh after that lmao.

We're not moving but they literally had VP presentations extoling the great work everyone was doing wfh and how they wanted to be flexible yadda yadda so just following the same bullshit Amazon and google are doing now. Who picked September first and why? What is the point in forcing people who can work remotely back into the office when there is still risk for outbreaks and sickness? What do you do if you have kids who can't be vaccinated or are high risk?

covid is over

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

Cases are going to skyrocket again by may if we don't get enough people vaccinated ( we won't ). The suits could change their mind when we start up with the corpse trailers again but maybe not.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Stereotype posted:

covid is over

huh somebody should take a look at those thousands of mystery deaths a day. maybe we can talk it over at Applebees with some beers!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Honestly surprised by this

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1379509398448402433?s=19

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Dreadite posted:

is covid what seals my commitment to being a recluse and never reproducing

How reproduce if can't go to bar? :saddowns:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:ok:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/prettycritical/status/1379534667448221701?s=19

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I caught a bunch of heat from my sister and parents for not being able to find a shot, and I checked it one more time today just to say "see, there aren't any" and an appointment opened up tonight.

Bitching about MMO drop rates makes it drop, can't wait for better cell reception from the 5g nanomachines.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
My niece's school came back from remote learning like 2 weeks ago and they already had a head lice breakout.

Good times, sure they won't catch anything else

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-vaccine-idUSKBN2BT2GY posted:

Oxford pauses COVID-19 vaccine study in kids, awaits more data on blood clot issues

(Reuters) -The University of Oxford said on Tuesday it had paused a small UK trial testing the COVID-19 vaccine it developed with AstraZeneca Plc in children and teenagers, as it waits for more data on rare blood clotting issues in adults who received the shot.
(..)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Knight posted:

My niece's school came back from remote learning like 2 weeks ago and they already had a head lice breakout.

Good times, sure they won't catch anything else

lol good god it was nice not getting sick for a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

Good God she'd make a powerful goon

She's taking getting called out a no nothing to the next level along with doubling down after people roasted her online..