Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 06, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Aug. 06, 1944)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hattie Masters posted:

A little while back we were listing off our favourite comics currently running, and so I gotta ask: Which do people hate the most? Like, top three.

3. Art Berman for his proto-boomer observations
2. Dustin, for being so consistently mean
1. K&K because of all the Holbrook madness it's the one that makes me think of in-universe implications the most. To live in the K&K universe is to live in Hell.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hattie Masters posted:

A little while back we were listing off our favourite comics currently running, and so I gotta ask: Which do people hate the most? Like, top three.

1. Working Daze
2. Working Daze
3. Working Daze

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Possibly this guy? https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davenda01.shtml

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mercury Hat posted:

Oh come on, Stinkerson is right there.

This bully is clearly not very good at their trade.

The dye factoid seems like more of a problem for the people living near there.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

howe_sam posted:

Steeple was first a comic book at Dark Horse, and then had a follow up story at Steeple.church.

Why does John Allison insist on making it as difficult as possible to read his stories? How many websites does he have at the moment?

Modesty Blaise

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Hattie Masters posted:

3. All the Holbrook comics: He has such a bizarre view of how narratives work. Especially how the protagonists have no moral high ground but are presented like they are paragons of virtue. Not to mention the fetish stuff that leaks through.
2. Working Daze: The inability for the author to make a recognizable joke in this comic is amazing. The dialog is so stilted that I can't believe it's not on purpose. The art is always straight up bad and often has a weird cheesecake focus that would probably bother me more if it was drawn competently.
1. Luann: By far my favorite comic to hate. Everything about it is delightfully the worst.

Honorable mentions to Rose is Rose, Intelligent Life, and One Big Happy.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I’ve been thinking about Foob lately and while it has a lot of depressing insights into Lynn Johnson’s life and psyche, at least the plots move relative to other soap opera strips. We haven’t spent three months on this story with Elle’s parents and it’s understandable why everyone’s acting the way they are, even if it’s not the way I would suggest they’d act.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hattie Masters posted:

Hmm....I guess I'd say

1. Dustin, for obvious reasons.
2. Rose Is Rose is twee bullshit.
3. Funky, I guess? At least it's (usually) hilariously bad unlike something like Dustin that actively infuriates me.
4. Daddy Daze. I used to think I liked it but it's the same thing every time: "Ba ba ba ba" "Oh, you think the nature of the universe is that it's a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter?". Boring.

Shout out also to OBH, which is pretty Boomer-y.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I skip a bunch of comics that I am merely indifferent to but the ones that I really dislike are:

The Z List
Working Daze
Daddy Daze
Zippy

Dishonorable mention to Bogor for being ugly as hell

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (May 3, 1991)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: :words:, or That's where I fell in love where stars above, came out to play..., or Sherlock Holmes nods his head approvingly

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hattie Masters posted:

The only strip I really hate is Mandrake. The plots are stupid, the characters even stupider and the art is atrocious.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hattie Masters posted:

1. Dustin
2. OBH
3. Luann

Dishonorable mention: Zippy. It's not being posted in the thread anymore, but everything about it was just insufferable.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

1. Working Daze
2. Working Daze
3. Working Daze

It's nice to be appreciated.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hattie Masters posted:

Working Daze is super bad, but my eyes kind of slide off of it unless people point it out. I'd say the ones I actually read that I hate are:

Dustin, because it's a hateful mess
Retail, because it's so very true to the hellworld we live in
The Extended Cancerbean universe. Crankshaft is usually the worst of these, but honestly they're all poo poo.

Special Guest mention to On the Fast Rack and Safe Havens which are just so bizarrely bad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Bloop posted:

I skip a bunch of comics that I am merely indifferent to

:same: but they're also the ones I hate the most; whenever I do read them I just purse my lips and shake my head.

1) Dustin, for being a daily visit to The rear end in a top hat Universe where everybody's casually nasty to one another for no discernible reason (And, of course, the big "VOTE 45" wink from last year.)
2) Holbrook, in totality. The guy cranks out 3 strips a day and every single one of them manages to be terrible in its own way (Fasttrack: Casual endorsements of corporate overreach and psychological warfare against the working class; Safe Havens: Everybody's a poorly thought-out science wizard for the purposes of both bad jokes and lazy plotting; K&K: Welcome to Hellworld, there is only Suffering.) Yet they're also so samey, it's usually some kind of tortured visual pun or a clunky setup where somebody leaves a statement hanging in the air to get to a fourth panel reveal with a "quippy" finish.
3) Batiuk, in totality:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Dustin" is my only consistent hate-read. The thing about it is that it's competent. The jokes land, the characters are strong, and the art is legible and attractive. All of this gives a very clear view of how toxic its premise is. It presents itself in the tradition of comic strips about a "lovable loser" with relatable vices, but then it frames his tormentor as justified.

Compare with, say, Beetle Bailey. Superficially, this is a very similar setup: you've got a wily layabout and the buffoonish authority figure who's trying to make him work, punctuated with observational humor about the idiosyncrasies of society. Classic, right? But imagine a gag that frames Sarge as the victim of Beetle's laziness. That's what we're dealing with here.

It's something that resonates with a lot of readers, and not, I think, in a good way.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

3) Batiuk, in totality:

If Lisa has cancer... I won't have to pay her band fees! WOOHOO!

My least favorite comics are the ones that generate the longest walls of text to scroll past to something interesting. The closest thing to a "hate read" is Those Were The Days, which I find more interesting as a "More things change" case study.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Most of the comics I dislike just cause my eyes to bounce off of them, but a few make me react beyond that.

I despise the art and content of Intelligent Life and OBH. I can't stand the Holbrook stuff either. I hold low key grudges against the people who post these and make me see them at all (not really).

I can read and furrow my brow at Dustin, Batiuk, and Luann.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Don't forget about the comic that shall not be named or it makes an appearance.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Having posed the question I will now answer it. To be honest, I agree with a lot of the answers others have posted, and it's interesting to see how .

3 - Overboard
One that I didn't see anyone else mention, I just can't stand how absolutely twee it is. "Oh no the dog is doing a dog thing, oh no the cat wants to eat mice and this is bad, oh no the mice are having to loving fight the COVID viruses falling from the sky." Heart is in the right place, but it can also piss off.

2 - Batuik's nonsense
I will never be able to explain why I hate this better than
But also everything is insufferably loving smug and there isn't a single character I wouldn't shove into a goddamn locker, and I am aware that all of them are ostensibly grown adults

and to the surprise of nobody:
1 - Holbrook's Hellverse.
Bill Holbrook is history's greatest monster. If I was trapped in a room with Hitler, Holbrook and a gun with two bullets, I would shoot Holbrook twice. If I had a time machine I would break his hands in 1990.

Thing is, i can't bring myself to truly, truly hate on Dustin and Luann. Both of them have something that I can hang on to, like dunking on Ed Kudlik, the most boomer of boomers, and Luann is just so stupid it defies my hatred.

It's interesting to me how there's a handful of common picks (Luann, OBH, Working Daze, Dustin, Batuik and Holbrook) that everyone can agree on and then you'll get those that are juuuuuust out of the left field (Overboard, Daddy Daze, etc) to be an individualistic note.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alterian posted:

Don't forget about the comic that shall not be named or it makes an appearance.

There are several like that but I assume we were meant to comment on ones currently getting posted.

Now if you want terrible comics no one posts

Oh Baby
___Oh Baby___
_________Oh Baby________
Oh Baby____
Oh Baby
___Oh Baby_

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Transmodiar posted:

Why does John Allison insist on making it as difficult as possible to read his stories? How many websites does he have at the moment?
Everything he has online you can find on his main Scary-Go-Round page

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I posted my hates a few days ago, so here's comics.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

But does Eve still love DOG?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The Bloop posted:

There are several like that but I assume we were meant to comment on ones currently getting posted.

Now if you want terrible comics no one posts

Oh Baby
___Oh Baby___
_________Oh Baby________
Oh Baby____
Oh Baby
___Oh Baby_
Also:

9 Chichweed Lane

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 6, 2021

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Did you know quote and edit are not the same things?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

God it's like the Rex Morgan writer is utterly convinced he's sitting on a creative goldmine being the first person ever to comment on comics history with their own comic.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Unironically looking forward to Mark Trail's Sunday iguana facts, possibly delivered after being thrashed senseless by an irate iguana's tail.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

1. Working Daze
2. The Holbrook nightmare universe
3. Rose is Rose
4. Dustin and anything Batiuk for the self-congratulatory boomerness which seems into the strips from every angle (also extra hate for Batiuk's pretentious letter L)

My eyes slide off of a lot of the serial strips but that's a me problem and in no way a comment on their quality.

Scary Gary

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Comics I "hate"
Mandrake. I'm under the impression that the artist is slowly dying and right before their death the comic will just be a shmear.
Dustin. It's overall awful and the only time it's in any way funny falls under the condition of, "A broken clock is correct twice a day."
Cancerbean and everything related to it.
All of the animal comics, except the ones with cats as protagonists. I also don't hate Rae, it's just loving boring.

I'm also glad nobody posts Zippy anymore.

... and now the ever-charming ...
B Kliban

Finger in rear end spoiler

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fondue posted:

Comics I "hate"
Mandrake. I'm under the impression that the artist is slowly dying and right before their death the comic will just be a shmear.

We'll still have 10 years before his retirement + 2 years before death. I remember the last story being really rough (it was cut short), but unfortunately the images that were posted in the earlier thread are dead.

Someone with CK account could dig us some May 2013 samples.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Professor Wayne posted:

3. All the Holbrook comics: He has such a bizarre view of how narratives work. Especially how the protagonists have no moral high ground but are presented like they are paragons of virtue. Not to mention the fetish stuff that leaks through.
2. Working Daze: The inability for the author to make a recognizable joke in this comic is amazing. The dialog is so stilted that I can't believe it's not on purpose. The art is always straight up bad and often has a weird cheesecake focus that would probably bother me more if it was drawn competently.
1. Luann: By far my favorite comic to hate. Everything about it is delightfully the worst.

Honorable mentions to Rose is Rose, Intelligent Life, and One Big Happy.
I generally agree with this but it would be Holbrook, Luann and then all of the Funkyverse comics, put WD and Dustin in the dishonorable mentions.

e: actually gonna explain my stances more thoroughly.

3: I am of the internet. I can see the inherent value and worth in 30+ years of non-stop worldbuilding and drama and roleplay and having a frankly horrifying work ethos that creates this Kowloon Walled City of content. I can, and have, forgiven narratives that have infallible PCs that are more or less just Solar Exalted as portrayed by milquetoast middle-America types. What puts it on here is the sheer constant failure of metaphor, scope bloat and problem resolution. There will forever be a piece of my brain dedicated to "solving the problem by adopting the planet Mars".

2: Luann kind of hates its audience like the Sex and the City movies do. Like, ostensibly, it's one of those strips for teens and its early origins reflect that. But, there's two problems to me. First and foremost, the creators are in a position of power and are constantly opposed to what the audience actually wants, as best exemplified by the time they put Aaron on a plane to Hawaii so Luann could vaguely end up with Gunther. This results in characters and plots that nobody really gives a poo poo about and constantly deflate themselves when you think it's going in an interesting direction (translation: when Tara gets hit by a car). Second, nobody ever learns anything or changes. In theory they're aging in real time and poo poo is happening, and you can see Tiff doing that of the entire cast, but anyone who tries to better themselves is generally derided for ambition or introspection. Also there's the fact that the entire thing is now two generations strong and co-written by a woman and both authors are in sync enough to create what we get.

1: Batiuk wants everything in all ways. He wants comedy, he wants drama, he wants to be thought-provoking and poignant, he wants to tip his hat to the arts, he wants slice of life. And he doesn't want to compromise on any of that, he wants a cake with everything and he wants to eat it too. And that just makes the entire thing insufferable. Crankshaft is his release valve of comedy stylings and wry jokes and it just falls flat because every time the joke is "old man is set in his ways/makes a malaproper/running joke" with the knowledge that one day he's gonna be an old man on life support that just lays there. Funky used to be a constant attempt at humor and then it got serious and even with Crankshaft he's constantly oscillating between maudlin and irreverent. The one time he got noticed for being poignant, he's been chasing that high ever since.

Short summaries of the dishonorable mentions:

Working Daze: the unearned sense of pride for this entire project is the funniest thing about it, coming in second is how often they just loving phone it in and re-use old strips.
Dustin: we will always be rooting for Dustin despite everything else the comic says but other than that you can just ignore it because nothing is loving happening.
Rose is Rose: there's a list of six or seven notes it sticks to, so you can just roll a dice to craft a strip idea and that's probably what the creators do. Everyone is just soft and pillowy and bland and it's really easy to just ignore it as a result.
Intelligent Life: Ctrl+Alt+Del on thorazine. Nicest thing I can say about it is thank god it lost its place in the paper and is now only three strips a week on an easily avoidable website.
One Big Happy: voted "Most Likely to be in An Email Your Racist Grandpa Has Sent to the Whole Family Because "It's Cute" and When I Say Racist Grandpa I Mean "Racist and Knows It and Says poo poo to Provoke Conversations and Acts Smug When Nobody Calls Him On It or Slaps His Hand".".

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 6, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's very hard to engage with Luann due to its aggravating tendency to not finish its storylines. It'll get to what feels like about three quarters of the way through a plot, and then... we're off to something else! It's actively punishing the readers who try to follow what's going on.

As for Rex Morgan, MD and Mary Worth, they have slightly differing flavors of the same basic problem: nothing ever loving happens. Occasionally it'll look like something might be about to happen, but nope, the situation immediately deflates.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
tough to rate.

Luann I'm bitter about because it was a favorite when i was a preteen. Really should have ended rather than age the characters. The low stakes nature of the writing worked when it was about high school interpersonal drama and clique problems.

Powered Descent posted:

It'll get to what feels like about three quarters of the way through a plot, and then... we're off to something else! It's actively punishing the readers who try to follow what's going on.
This is really the biggest issue with the writing currently.

Mary Worth became insufferable within the past few years. It was fun dunking on Wilbur for a few of those storylines but it's so exhausting now. Anyone have the "Dewey Dawner" images handy? It's just painstaking the way we're led to believe a storyline is going to end and then it just continues to drag on for absolutely no reason.

Holbrook I just skip entirely unless somebody quotes something, to me it's not even funny bad or in any way amusing or entertaining bad.

Batiukverse is up there. With FW, as with Luann, used to like it when I was a kid because it felt kind of grown up and real, right when I was at an age where I was looking for more serious storylines (I remember being on the edge of my seat when Wally (?) stepped on the land mine). But all the characters are either unlikeable (and not in a "character you love to hate" type of way) or boring, which makes it really difficult to care or feel anythign other than contempt for them

9CL, though no longer posted, is actual disgusting trash and I'm baffled that any newspapers continue to carry it.

And lastly Dustin, for reasons everyone else has said, including for being thisclose to being decent or at least something you could overlook. for example:

all you had to do for this to be worth of a small smile or grin was make it so the bully kid was the one with the huge backpack at the end. but no, skelley only knows how to write miserable poo poo

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh also I want to put Family Circus out there. It extremely feels like if someone thought the song "No Children" was about the relationship between parent and kid. It's gotten weirdly bitter and resentful towards the kids and both parents just feel beleaguered and exhausted while the kids mumble about pseudo-cutesy malapropers and misunderstandings.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Everybody else posts their new books, but I found one off the beaten path that might need a little more love, even if it's a limited print run: The Landon School of Illustrating and Cartooning.

Charles Landon's correspondence course from the 1910s and 1920s was a key training ground for many of the classic cartoonists we've looked in on over the years, and John Garvin compiled a complete set of the basic Landon course in 2008 for a small print run. His goal was to not only get good cartoonists, but ones whose art reproduced well, regardless of the good, bad or indifferent high-speed printing presses of the era. As art director for the NEA syndicate, he found that training his own future talent pool had its advantages.

R.C. Harvey posted:

Still operating his correspondence course on the side, Landon had developed an interlocking, reciprocating relationship between the course and the syndicate. When he saw a talented student submitting work in the course, he waited until the youth graduated and then tapped him to do a feature for the NEA. If the feature was successful, publicity for the Landon course would point with pride to another graduate who'd made it big in cartooning.

The NEA cartoonist bullpen worked out of the same building that Landon ran his school from. Among the cartoon giants who either made it all the way through the Landon course or at least dipped their toe in were Carl Barks, Floyd Gottfriedson, Jack Cole, Roy Crane, Milt Caniff, Bill Holman, Bill Mauldin, Chic Young, and J.R. Williams.

So yeah, when I saw that last name, I had to check for DORGZ. Landon doesn't disappoint, delivering a whole lesson on dogs, chickens and horses.

Garvin says an earlier version of the course had a separate lesson dedicated to cats, but the kitties were gone by the end of the decade.

The main text is a facsimile of the 1922 edition of the course (with the necessary content warning that copyright date implies for some of the artistic choices). Overall, it was a good purchase, but if I had known that the third edition was going to drop a few days after my payment cleared, I might've sat back for a moment. Still, I got what I paid for.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 7, 1933)

Peanuts (April 9, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 5, 1937)

For the record, Elzie Segar got started with a course from Landon rival W.L. Evans. Once he got established, Segar contributed a beautiful endorsement for Evans' ads: "I’m getting along fine, and it’s all your fault."

Out Our Way (May 28-30, 1936; spoiler for Ick joke.)

Toonerville Folks (June 14-16, 1917)

Dok's "By The Seashore" Duck (July 23, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 6, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I don't want this responsibility, but all this talk about hate comics just makes me need to spread my misery back around.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

sweeperbravo posted:

all you had to do for this to be worth of a small smile or grin was make it so the bully kid was the one with the huge backpack at the end. but no, skelley only knows how to write miserable poo poo

My first thought reading today's Dustin was that Skelley probably identifies with the bully more than he does the kid with glasses, because he's a humorless asswipe.

Hostile V posted:

1: Batiuk wants everything in all ways. He wants comedy, he wants drama, he wants to be thought-provoking and poignant, he wants to tip his hat to the arts, he wants slice of life. And he doesn't want to compromise on any of that, he wants a cake with everything and he wants to eat it too. And that just makes the entire thing insufferable. Crankshaft is his release valve of comedy stylings and wry jokes and it just falls flat because every time the joke is "old man is set in his ways/makes a malaproper/running joke" with the knowledge that one day he's gonna be an old man on life support that just lays there. Funky used to be a constant attempt at humor and then it got serious and even with Crankshaft he's constantly oscillating between maudlin and irreverent. The one time he got noticed for being poignant, he's been chasing that high ever since.

This is a good summation. One of Funky's biggest problems, aside from not being able to let go of St. Lisa, is that it varies so wildly between lame dad jokes and attempts at pathos, and it never does very good with either. Usually it's only laughably bad, but there are a few times (the 'so my husband cried out my name while he was having sex with you' video that Lisa made comes to mind) where it gets really creepy and gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

(the 'so my husband cried out my name while he was having sex with you' video that Lisa made comes to mind)

What.