Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/SenDuckworth/st...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lol yeah just get an apprenticeship my duder the IBEW and IEC are famously open and welcoming

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1379574405223886852?s=20

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my mom voted for 22 because of their ad campaign and had a legit tim and eric mindblown moment when i told her they were probably paid actors instead of drivers in the ads

Don’t they have to be because of the actors’s union?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PipHelix posted:

I'd be very, very interested to hear a left take on why a policy that only California and Washington, Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, Arizona, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and Idaho (TX had one but lost a court case) have on the books is woke, actually. That's a pretty strong gallery of chud states and states where their culture comes out of one or two blue cities and white nationalists everywhere else

Michigan isn't a chud state and the law got put in place because the existing AA policy was keeping black people from finding work, because they are not a minority demographic there. IIRC: It was passed by ballot initiative, the vote was not even close, and Wayne County supported it.

Poorly conceived affirmative action policies can be detrimental to minority-majority communities because it essentially gives businesses an avenue to prefer white candidates for jobs and can potentially entrench the race divide between management and labor

Oklahoma has a lot of places that are majority native american but not necessarily under reservation governance, and a lot of residents that are very definitely white but can trace their family to somebody on The Rolls. The major tribes in the area have their own AA hiring policy called Native Preference that is very effective at making sure opportunities exist for native american residents and workplaces here are already diverse enough. Oklahoma is around the 15th most diverse state in the US, and that's probably not counting white identifying native ppl, of which there is a very significant population here

If I had to guess, I would bet that Arizona was seeing similar situations in their state with AA in majority hispanic areas and realized these policies don't work for the demographic makeup of an ethnically diverse state (of which, most of liberal America is not.)

AA was an emotional response to data that was understandable in the moment that data became available to us - wow, this is a huge problem! these numbers are way off! we've gotta do something! - but instead of examining the issues that were underlying this problem, we tried to solve it by just saying, "you have to hire the correct percentage of races" and dusted our hands of it. This is how liberalism tries to solve a lot of their problems.

If liberals want to help minorities in Oklahoma and Michigan, maybe they should start talking about sending federal money to our schools and investing more in after-school, extracurriculars, trade skill programs (and free college for everyone) - because what businesses were saying when AA policies were first rolled out wasn't a racist dodge, there really was a lack of available minority candidates because our country has never bothered investing in minority communities in any real substantive way and probably never will. You'll never even manage to narrow, let alone close, the prosperity gap as long as we give our poorest citizens access only to our worst resources.

Edit: Like, realtalk, y'all, if you are staring at a map with a crayon coloring in which states have good humans, and which states have bad humans, you're an idiot. People are complicated. Regional politics are complicated. If you don't live someplace, you don't have the context to understand where people are coming from in these places, and if you're just writing off people in rural Oklahoma and Michigan as white supremacists, you are not only misunderstanding their motivations, you're making the same mistake generations of liberals before you made - ignoring and abandoning working class allies because their neighbors suck and their culture is backwards

Oklahoma's politics are very close to those of Appalachia. People trust their neighbors but they don't trust the government. They mostly just want to be left alone. They vote Republican (or, more typically, not at all) because the only time Democrats are interested in our state is when an evangelical loon is throwing yet another anti-abortion law at our extremely dilligent supreme court. It's lovely, it's embarrassing, it never goes anywhere and it's usually a one or two man sideshow that distracts liberals from all the things they could appeal to our electorate on

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Apr 7, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This motherfucker wants to be crowned king of the hitlers so loving bad

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

killer psycho dog and the dog killer psycho

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
can we not resort to lies about mayo pete killing dogs?

That was the huckabees.
Romney was the dog torturer putting it on the roof of his car until it poo poo itself.

Buttigeg just killed some children removing stoplights for no reason.

Also he probably kills dogs

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SymoneSanders46/status/1379574528624431105?s=20

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Biden staffers walk into a room, only to find Pete covered in dog entrails in front of an unrecognizable mangled carcass.

"God dammit not again. Someone contact the vendor for a replacement."

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

The Oldest Man posted:

This motherfucker wants to be crowned king of the hitlers so loving bad

Hey thats the next president you're talking about!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ACCESS to vaccines

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Called me a girlboss when I don't even own a business I work in a

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

agreed in the sense that we can surely find something to throw tom cotton in prison for

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

past tense

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shipon posted:

the "ban on affirmative action" (really, an anti-discrimination policy) was a good thing and i voted to keep it in place, prop 22 was garbage though

yeah a lot of the same people who are pushing for it to come back are the ones who wanted it banned in the first place - they think there's too many minority kids/not enough white kids getting into california public colleges

bringing it back in california could (potentially) limit asian student enrollment, since there's some over-representation there, as well as latino student enrollment, which is the group that's seen the most growth but already has a big college enrollment gap

really they should be using socioeconomic data for this stuff to identify underprivileged students (and applicants for public employment), but i don't think anyone currently does that even though they're allowed to

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lmfao already looking past old Joe

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Holy loving lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:vince:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

:staredog:

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
:aochloe:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

What's with people's bitter hatred of theatre nerds, especially here and on twitter? Is it because of Hamilton and Breadtube?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CongoJack posted:

Hey thats the next president you're talking about!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

ToxicAcne posted:

What's with people's bitter hatred of theatre nerds, especially here and on twitter? Is it because of Hamilton and Breadtube?

I’m going to guess by this question that you are one? because if you weren’t one and you’ve ever spent any time around them you’d know why.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

Theatre nerds are the headwater from which all insufferable cringe flows

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Since theater nerds and Pete Buttigieg have both come up on this page I feel obligated to state my opinion that theater nerds are infinitely preferable to the Buttigieg style of nerd who somehow managed to be careerist at age 14

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Newsom ain't getting recalled because as stated itt we Californians are dumb as hell

tho Faulconer was an absolutely awful mayor so it remains to be seen if that will benefit or hinder him

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In 2020 primary terms, Warrenites are to be ridiculed but Pete Pals are to be avoided altogether

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Since theater nerds and Pete Buttigieg have both come up on this page I feel obligated to state my opinion that theater nerds are infinitely preferable to the Buttigieg style of nerd who somehow managed to be careerist at age 14

they're both wildly insufferable types of people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i have attended a theater nerd wedding before

it was at a theater, the ceremony was on stage

there were a nonzero number of attendees wearing kilts

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

a Loving Dog posted:

I’m going to guess by this question that you are one? because if you weren’t one and you’ve ever spent any time around them you’d know why.

Nope, never have acted at all in my life,. But you're right that I never have been exposed to that kind of person.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Gosh! good thing she's letting biden know, i'm sure he had no idea, and now he'll surely sprint into action to save the post office!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

loquacius posted:

You don't have to choose. I refuse to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

ToxicAcne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTcHpPDCu8