Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even though I would never play it again, probably MH4U given the sheer amount of time spent in it.

Generations is even better and has more stuff but there’s an even better version of that on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
It's probably Kid Icarus but I always thought the 3DS Animal Crossing was really great and my personal favorite AC game.

Also if people didn't throw such a temper tantrum about the mission format, Luigi's Mansion 2 would be getting the correct amount of appreciation and praise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Generations is even better and has more stuff but there’s an even better version of that on Switch.

Monster Hunter is the closest thing to CoD for me, or a loot style service game that I'll ever play, if that makes any sense. Generations was better, but I think of 4U more fondly since I put more time into it. I didn't play much of Generations Ultimate on Switch or any World at all since they came out while I was in grad school. Fortunately I'm done with that and Rise hitting me in all the right spots. Having three other people just as into it helps too.

There are so many JRPGs I put so many hours into and shamefully never finished. Someday I'll play through both SMTIVs.

As for the Fire Emblems, they're all solid in their own ways. I think I might like Echoes the best, but I need to play through Conquest sometime soon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t play much MH on 3DS due to not finding the system that comfortable for longer action games. Rise is so drat good and my favorite in the series.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Hmmm, they don't advertise them at all on the Nintendo Australia site, but do have a "Other Nintendo Systems" option on their repair enquiry site, so I've sent them an email to see if they have them and what they charge.

Just heard back - do have them but $AU30 and one per customer :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Just heard back - do have them but $AU30 and one per customer :smith:

Just drop the $30AUD on one now while you can get one that you know is new and good.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just drop the $30AUD on one now while you can get one that you know is new and good.

Yeah, how fast do those batteries go bad that youd actually need to stock up? I have a GBA SP and a fat DS and an original 3DS all with their original batteries that still work and hold a charge just fine; the 3DS one isnt great but it never was so a new battery now will probably last a while.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My lite just started going bad so quite a while I think

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm not sure why but my launch New 3DS XL started bulging maybe a year or more ago? It's the first and only time I've ever had to bother with a nintendo handheld's battery but it was down to lasting maybe 45 minutes on a charge.

Totally anecdotal but it may be a recommendation not to use the dock.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I'm not sure why but my launch New 3DS XL started bulging maybe a year or more ago? It's the first and only time I've ever had to bother with a nintendo handheld's battery but it was down to lasting maybe 45 minutes on a charge.

Yo as soon as something starts bulging take the battery out and dispose of it.

Unless you like exploding things. If that’s the case just keep it around and up your fire insurance.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MarcusSA posted:

Yo as soon as something starts bulging take the battery out and dispose of it.

Unless you like exploding things. If that’s the case just keep it around and up your fire insurance.

No worries, I did! I just didn't notice it was bulging until I looked at it because of it only lasting 45 minutes.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

RichterIX posted:

Mine did the same thing, never used a dock. It can just happen.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The battery on my New 3DS has started to bulge as well. Probably the quickest I've seen it happen. The battery on my launch DS Lite is fine for example.

Has 3DS console prices gone up everywhere? I wanted to get a N3DS XL or a 2DS XL, but prices are about the same on the used market now as the new price was when they were still available. I guess people discovered how easy they are to softmod

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Prices shot up immediately after Nintendo announced they were discontinuing the 3DS family and then jumped again once the refurbished stock dried up. The prices will only go up from here since a direct successor will never happen and its the final form of the Nintendo Dual Screen family

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

mancalamania posted:

It's probably Kid Icarus but I always thought the 3DS Animal Crossing was really great and my personal favorite AC game.

Also if people didn't throw such a temper tantrum about the mission format, Luigi's Mansion 2 would be getting the correct amount of appreciation and praise.

Late to the best game chat, but 3DS Animal Crossing was the best AC game, it's also my favorite of the series. New Horizions is kinda just... meh somehow even with all the gee whiz crafting elements. I'll throw a curve ball by saying the Miku game was fun, the touch screen controls really improve it. Spent a lot of time trying to improve my high scores. It also sounds like I should get off my rear end and start playing Monster Hunter Rise. I could not cope with the lack of a second stick when trying 4 on 3DS so I skipped over all of them on that system.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love New Horizons way more than New Leaf but I do miss some things NL had that I hope they add back in eventually like animals visiting you, the coffee shop and something like the island multiplayer games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Showing my ignorance here: is homebrew battery making something possible? Will at some point quality replacements show up by the hands of dedicated people iterating and improving fabrication methods? Or is that just silly thinking and at best we will only see shoddy Chinese knockoffs out there that will die in months?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I didn’t think such things were possible but I ordered a fancy GBA battery recently so anything can happen I guess

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love New Horizons way more than New Leaf but I do miss some things NL had that I hope they add back in eventually like animals visiting you, the coffee shop and something like the island multiplayer games.

What the poo poo the animals DON'T visit you in NH? Wtf that's lame! (I got bored with NH and haven't been back to it in months at this point. Currently crawling my way through Pokemon Sword instead).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Saoshyant posted:

Showing my ignorance here: is homebrew battery making something possible? Will at some point quality replacements show up by the hands of dedicated people iterating and improving fabrication methods? Or is that just silly thinking and at best we will only see shoddy Chinese knockoffs out there that will die in months?

Its just a LiPo, the form factor is the only thing unique about it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

hatty posted:

I didn’t think such things were possible but I ordered a fancy GBA battery recently so anything can happen I guess

What's a "fancy" GBA battery exactly?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its one of these. It’s a liPo battery attached to a custom board that can fit in an SP. pretty mandatory if you want to put in a modern ips screen and still want good battery life. Seemed like the best option to revive my old SP though I would never replace the stock screen

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dang, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Someone will make decent 3DS batteries eventually since there’s good money making potential there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We're currently in a golden age for retro console mods. My PS1 has HDMI output, plays games off an SD card, stores game saves to a microSD card, using a PS5 controller via a wireless adapter. That would have been unheard of barely a couple years ago. Who knows what neat things they'll have for the DS family twenty years from now?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Re battery: reckon I will just for the piece of mind, but will wait to install it until it becomes an issue. I'd hoped they'd be more like $15-20 and not limited to one/person so I could refurb the 3DS's I sell onwards, but alas.

Got a few Ali Express items in the post yesterday:

n2DS XL dock - USB power cable a bit fussy to plug in (probably poor manufacturing) but the whole point of this thing is not having to do that anymore once it's set up. The cradle itself fits the system really well and lines up the 2DS's charge port with the one on the dock with no issues, so all in all it does the job I want to to well.

n3DS XL grip - turns it into a real Chonky Boi - about the volume of a thick mass market paperback. But it does make it a lot more comfortable to hold. The kickstand is very wobbly if left on its own but I suppose you're meant to stabilise the system yourself by the act of having your hands on it to play.

Overall happy considering the price paid (I think ~AU$10 for the dock and more like $6 for the grip), worth the spend IMO.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 7, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hmm...I'll take the one on the left. So good.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Hey, does anyone have any experience with this PowerA case? I kinda like the design but I'm torn between this and the Zelda pouch. The dots inside got me a bit wary, apparently they press on the console and may leave a mark? https://www.amazon.com/-/PowerA-Armor-Case-Nintendo-3DS-Retro/dp/B07PHQ9MH9

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

...nearly a month later, the 3DS XL dock I ordered at the same time as the 2DS XL dock arrived (different seller, to be fair).

Works well, 3DS slots in pretty easily and charges through the little prongs. Idea is to be able to pick it up and have little gaming breaks when I'm working (or waiting for a match to start in something like Fall Guys).

For mysterious reasons, the seller chose to ship the two docks that I ordered separately. The other one is still in Sydney by the looks of things. :iiam:

Ignis posted:

Hey, does anyone have any experience with this PowerA case? I kinda like the design but I'm torn between this and the Zelda pouch. The dots inside got me a bit wary, apparently they press on the console and may leave a mark? https://www.amazon.com/-/PowerA-Armor-Case-Nintendo-3DS-Retro/dp/B07PHQ9MH9

As someone who hasn't modded theirs, I'd want something that can hold more than 6 carts. You could always file the bumps down a bit if you were worried, maybe cap it with Sugru for something a bit softer.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve got a Galaxy for my main 3DS, and my son has a regular XL. The connecter where you plug in the AC adapter is loose to the point it won’t charge. Is there an easy solution to this?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ve got a Galaxy for my main 3DS, and my son has a regular XL. The connecter where you plug in the AC adapter is loose to the point it won’t charge. Is there an easy solution to this?

You could get a dock.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zat posted:

You could get a dock.

I've had one for 3 years or so now. It works great and is really handy.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Zat posted:

You could get a dock.

Thanks! Didn’t think of that. Any cheap dock will do? It’s not a Switch deal where you’re gonna fry something?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Ricky posted:

Thanks! Didn’t think of that. Any cheap dock will do? It’s not a Switch deal where you’re gonna fry something?

Use the official 3ds charger with it and it should be OK.

I would just tell you to get the official one but people want $80+ on ebay for them :stare:

One person on ebay does have them for a much more reasonable price though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362767121160

edit: I just realized you have the regular XL. Official Nintendo docks for those are still dirt cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152291395335?hash=item2375464707

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My New 3ds xl with a top ips screen somehow broke. There's black splotches all over the screen like if someone intentionally pressed their fingers into it as hard as possible out of spite.

If anyone here wants to sell one, let me know because I am really bummed out about it. Preferably one with no scratches on either screen.

Also I'm guessing there's no chance of Nintendo ever selling refurbs again is there? They brought back the NES Classic last week so anything is possible...

edit: I tried buying two New 3DS XL consoles from ebay using buy it now. Both times the seller contacted me and claimed "sorry, I severely damaged the item while packaging it and it's no longer available! But I have a different one available if you like". Same exact thing by two different sellers. Of course the different one is $100 more expensive. I don't know who the hell falls for these scams or what they are trying to accomplish. Both have negative reviews from other people saying they pulled the same poo poo on them.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 5, 2021

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My New 3ds xl with a top ips screen somehow broke. There's black splotches all over the screen like if someone intentionally pressed their fingers into it as hard as possible out of spite.

If anyone here wants to sell one, let me know because I am really bummed out about it. Preferably one with no scratches on either screen.

Also I'm guessing there's no chance of Nintendo ever selling refurbs again is there? They brought back the NES Classic last week so anything is possible...

edit: I tried buying two New 3DS XL consoles from ebay using buy it now. Both times the seller contacted me and claimed "sorry, I severely damaged the item while packaging it and it's no longer available! But I have a different one available if you like". Same exact thing by two different sellers. Of course the different one is $100 more expensive. I don't know who the hell falls for these scams or what they are trying to accomplish. Both have negative reviews from other people saying they pulled the same poo poo on them.

eBay ain't what she used to be. Most of the abuse is from sellers to buyers as eBay always sides with the former no matter what the evidence, but it doesn't surprise me there's sellers trying dodgy stuff as well.

It looks like you can buy the part on Amazon for ~$54.

It's a reasonably tricky repair (no soldering or heating adhesive, but lots of little fiddly stuff) but you could try to see if there's an electronics repair place near you that can do it. Or hold off on buying the part and try Nintendo, but I could see them playing dumb about IPS/TN.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 5, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It’s possible they’ll have refurbs but I’d just try repairing the screen yourself in the meantime. I’m guessing yours is hacked so sending it into Nintendo isn’t an option.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s possible they’ll have refurbs but I’d just try repairing the screen yourself in the meantime. I’m guessing yours is hacked so sending it into Nintendo isn’t an option.

As someone who just tried to repair a few original 3DS systems with broken screens, the whole process is pretty painful due to the hinge the ribbon cables go through. Might be worth getting a pro to do the repair for that reason rather than damaging the speakers/cameras through a botched repair

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Kikuchiyo posted:

As someone who just tried to repair a few original 3DS systems with broken screens, the whole process is pretty painful due to the hinge the ribbon cables go through. Might be worth getting a pro to do the repair for that reason rather than damaging the speakers/cameras through a botched repair

Yeah, I'm probably a high beginner/low intermediate and the 3DS screen is one I've been putting off for months because it'll be pushing the envelope of my skills. None of mine are broken, just want to try swapping over a somewhat beat up one to an AliExpress Pikachu shell to see what it does to the resale value.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ethics_Gradient posted:

eBay ain't what she used to be. Most of the abuse is from sellers to buyers as eBay always sides with the former no matter what the evidence, but it doesn't surprise me there's sellers trying dodgy stuff as well.

It looks like you can buy the part on Amazon for ~$54.

It's a reasonably tricky repair (no soldering or heating adhesive, but lots of little fiddly stuff) but you could try to see if there's an electronics repair place near you that can do it. Or hold off on buying the part and try Nintendo, but I could see them playing dumb about IPS/TN.

Thanks for the link, unfortunately those are probably TN panels though.

It looks like someone has the IPS ones on ebay. This is pretty interesting because when I looked a week ago I could have sworn they weren't there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274449707025

I bought three of em just now like a nut.

There's a ubreakifix right near me and I'm gonna see if they'll let me provide the screen for their repair.

I'm pretty good with modding but I'm terrible when it comes to stuff like not getting a speck of dust on things and that drives me nuts so it probably would be a bad idea for me to attempt it.

Also I can see it being nearly impossible to remove those little square stickers that hide the screws on the face of the system. I have no clue how you'd take that off without ruining them and then putting them back on.