Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If the USA was smart we'd continue ramping up distro even as we reach herd immunity and export those shits at a premium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just got Pfizer numero 2 :woop:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

smoobles posted:

If the USA was smart we'd continue ramping up distro even as we reach herd immunity and export those shits at a premium

If the USA was really smart, we'd continue ramping up distro even as we reach herd immunity and export it for free in order to reclaim some sort of standing in the eyes of the world.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My company just sent out an email letting us all know the good news: Offices will be reopening soon AND a vaccine WON'T be required to come back :toot: :coronatoot: :toot:

:shepicide:

Fortunately, they've starting with the HQ in Jacksonville as a pilot, expect it to be slowly phased, and claim to be still offering the option of working from home.

Guess I'll let my boss know if our office opens before I'm fully 5G, I ain't going in period. We're "critical infrastructure" and have had to be in, but I only go in Mondays and Fridays and maybe see one person. Even if we start at 10% occupancy, my team of computer janitors will be SWAMPED with users rolling up, probably not wearing masks, and handing over greasy, petri dish laptops. gently caress that.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Cthulu Carl posted:

My company just sent out an email letting us all know the good news: Offices will be reopening soon AND a vaccine WON'T be required to come back :toot: :coronatoot: :toot:

:shepicide:

Fortunately, they've starting with the HQ in Jacksonville as a pilot, expect it to be slowly phased, and claim to be still offering the option of working from home.

Guess I'll let my boss know if our office opens before I'm fully 5G, I ain't going in period. We're "critical infrastructure" and have had to be in, but I only go in Mondays and Fridays and maybe see one person. Even if we start at 10% occupancy, my team of computer janitors will be SWAMPED with users rolling up, probably not wearing masks, and handing over greasy, petri dish laptops. gently caress that.

Fomite risk is low with coronavirus. You could get one of those microclimate helmets if you want to not breath the particle-laden soup your gross colleagues exhale though.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 6, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Castaign posted:

This may be laughably naive on my part, but it's my hope that as vaccine production in the US continues to ramp up we will soon be in a position to provide doses for other countries.

What, you mean fill the orders made and paid for half a year ago? The ones we were promised would have already been filled?

Yes, I too hope so.

learnincurve posted:

Europe has plenty of vaccination factories, as does India, china and Russia. Don't think there is a comprehensive list around, if there were people would freak much out less and get a lot more angry at their own governments.

The problem isn't the quantity of vaccines produced world wide, but the infrastructure and logistics coupled with politics in individual areas.

No.

For the mRNA vaccines, it's the quantity, which is mostly a problem this year due to overselling/overestimating capacity, refusing to partner with other governments to create local capacity and IP concerns and long term profitability.

For the more traditional vaccines, (vaccination factories?) it's still an enormous task and vaccines like sputnik have more problems than just their production, and the test program tends to be long as well (although, not for sputnik)

I have no idea what you mean by the bolded part, but also, no.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Castaign posted:

If the USA was really smart, we'd continue ramping up distro even as we reach herd immunity and export it for free in order to reclaim some sort of standing in the eyes of the world.

You can bet that shipments of vaccine (emblazoned with giant flags) will come with conditions (abolition of unions, refusal of health care to women, selling of national infrastructure to american companies etc).

Considering the damage the USA has already caused by loving over global supply chains, they better be free.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A Fancy Hat posted:

Just got word a covid-denier at work (as in he thinks it does not exist AT ALL, that doctors are marking down "the common cold" as covid) tested positive today.

The Easter 4th wave is coming.

if he dies im gonna laugh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Saalkin posted:

Is it true they have to put the Johnson & Johnson vax into your Johnson?

naw man pfizer

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Blitter posted:

What, you mean fill the orders made and paid for half a year ago? The ones we were promised would have already been filled?

Yes, I too hope so.

No.

For the mRNA vaccines, it's the quantity, which is mostly a problem this year due to overselling/overestimating capacity, refusing to partner with other governments to create local capacity and IP concerns and long term profitability.

For the more traditional vaccines, (vaccination factories?) it's still an enormous task and vaccines like sputnik have more problems than just their production, and the test program tends to be long as well (although, not for sputnik)

I have no idea what you mean by the bolded part, but also, no.

The key technology for the mRNA vaccines, nanolipid encapsulation, is the big sticking point for technical package transfer. Once the mRNA is manufactured and capped by proteins that keep it stable (another bottleneck, although one less crippled by protectionist behavior) the nanolipid encapsulation step is conducted by mixing the mRNA payload into the nanolipid carrying envelopes through controlled turbulence in the structure of the mixing chamber itself; look up NanoAssemblr cartridges for a more in-depth overview.

The exact geometry of the mixing chambers is, of course, a trade secret. Because the mRNA portion of the vaccine can be swapped out relatively quickly in production, anything that an mRNA payload could do is on the table for a potential future treatment dependent on a nanolipid delivery. Just flush your NanoAssemblr unit, replace all the disposable pieces, insert your mRNA payload for an anti-cancer treatment or whatever, and fire it up using the exact same mixing process you already validated and proved safe to the FDA.

That's why these companies are so resistant to the idea of sharing the technology. It's a license to print money, unless some competitor gets the process too.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Castaign posted:

I was thinking this about the uk and exporting to Europe but I don’t even think we make much here. Would have been perfect for country relations after the past nightmare decade

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1377715041860907010

LOL the polls are all saying that the demographics with highest vaccine hesitancy are overwhelmingly GOP/Trump voters, this is just going to make them more resistant to the idea.

if Michelle Obama said oxygen is good chuds would have choked themselves to death and we would better off for it

Platystemon posted:

My compromise with antivaxxers:

Dear Mr Milkman: STOP loving MY WIFE

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://twitter.com/SamGannon87/status/1379164124232437761

texas, where 15% of people are vaccinated but 100% of people give no fucks.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

I need someone to do a covid tracing map for this like they did for Sturgis

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bape Culture posted:

I was thinking this about the uk and exporting to Europe but I don’t even think we make much here. Would have been perfect for country relations after the past nightmare decade

It surely would have been, but I guess the answer is in the premise.

It is almost funny that the UK/EU AZ debacle is the outsized global political spat over vaccines given the production numbers. If the UK AZ contract had not got whatever weasel words that nobody seems to be able to specify that ensures that the national production goes to the UK first and whatever percentage of UK vaccine production was exported to the EU it wouldn't be seen as interesting or praiseworthy, nor would it be making useful inroads into the EU vaccine rollout given it would be a few million doses tops either.

But how you wield vaccine supply that was not contractually negotiated in advance can clearly be a powerful political tool. Russia produces less vaccines total overall than the UK, but is making a nice little pile of political capital with care packages of a few hundred thousands doses here and there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Bape Culture posted:

The UK is very reliant on EU exports. Afaik only AZ is produced domestically.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
So Texas is open for business eh? How long does the plague live on surfaces?
I just ordered a new vehicle that is made at a plant in Texas. When it gets built, and then shipped up here, will any plague affected surfaces be good by the time it gets here (Canada)?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Got Moderna #1. Side effects: hunger for a very big sandwich. I'm addressing that right now.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

N....nice???

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

smoobles posted:

I like how you say 'we' as if you would ever see any benefit of selling those vaccines at a premium

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Is there any evidence that having an asymptomatic case of covid produces antibodies / any significant immunity? Heard a baseball player say that they tested positive but were asymptomatic so they’re not in a rush to get the vaccine because they have antibodies. Any truth to this or just a baseball player being dumb?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Is there any evidence that having an asymptomatic case of covid produces antibodies / any significant immunity? Heard a baseball player say that they tested positive but were asymptomatic so they’re not in a rush to get the vaccine because they have antibodies. Any truth to this or just a baseball player being dumb?

They probably do/did have the antibodies.

No one knows how long that lasts though.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

From what I understand, he's been showing antibodies for some time now and saying he's not going to be in a rush to get it because it could be more valuable to someone else right now, but if/when a time that works for him, like having two consecutive days off (not a common occurance in MLB) occurs, he'd get it. He hasn't directly said that he is definitively not getting it.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

wesleywillis posted:

So Texas is open for business eh? How long does the plague live on surfaces?
I just ordered a new vehicle that is made at a plant in Texas. When it gets built, and then shipped up here, will any plague affected surfaces be good by the time it gets here (Canada)?

Surfaces should be a non-issue, but exhalations from plant workers may have found their way into the horn and the engine block. Upon recieving the vehicle you should rev the engine and honk the horn continuously for at least 2 hours to heat things up and flush any lingering viral particles out for good.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

From what I understand, he's been showing antibodies for some time now and saying he's not going to be in a rush to get it because it could be more valuable to someone else right now, but if/when a time that works for him, like having two consecutive days off (not a common occurance in MLB) occurs, he'd get it. He hasn't directly said that he is definitively not getting it.

Yes, sorry. I interpreted it that way too. I guess I just wondered if he was just assuming he had antibodies or if there was evidence of it. Love Bo!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This is a stupid question but once vaccinated, after the 2-3 weeks wait, I'm pretty much good right? I have no plans to stop wearing masks anytime soon but other than the possibility of mutations which I guess is totally possible I should be good to go to a bar or something? My GF kind of freaked out when her mom mentioned her dad wanting to go to the bar after his second shot but I should be at a point where I don't have to be extremely worried if I'm in the same room as a bunch of non-masked mouth breathers? It's going to be real hard deprogramming ourselves to re-learn what it's like being in public and not being terrified of catching a deadly disease.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hang out with vaccinated friends and family all you want, hang out with one unvaccinated household (e.g. any family with children), O.K., but a bar is pretty much the worst case scenario and I would not consider it till case loads drop precipitously.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, that is pretty sensible. For the record I am not going anywhere with crowds because we're still taking this poo poo seriously even with the vaccine also I'm a goon who hates going outside but I was debating whether or not we should make a big deal out of her dad wanting to go to a bar. Dude gets his news from Facebook so after seeing that baseball game in Texas and he is getting his second shot tomorrow he's all like "gently caress it COVID over!!" :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Her dad has bad ideas, but he’s unfortunately in good company, and no one is publicly pushing back on such bad ideas.

Try to convince him to at least wait a couple of weeks for vaccine efficacy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dick Jones posted:

Surfaces should be a non-issue, but exhalations from plant workers may have found their way into the horn and the engine block. Upon recieving the vehicle you should rev the engine and honk the horn continuously for at least 2 hours to heat things up and flush any lingering viral particles out for good.

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember to bring a brick for the gas pedal and a stick to put between the horn button and the seat back.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember to bring a brick for the gas pedal and a stick to put between the horn button and the seat back.

Search for Covid fomite transmission. I think you'll probably be fine, but do some research to establish your own comfort levels.

And maybe avoid doing things like inserting parts of the car directly into your nostrils.

For the first 48 hours.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
The EU wants Australia to withdraw our orders for AZ, so there's not a snowflake's chance in hell that they will redirect those doses to PNG as we requested.

I'm really concerned for the countries which will be dependent on Covax to obtain their vaccine.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

explosivo posted:

This is a stupid question but once vaccinated, after the 2-3 weeks wait, I'm pretty much good right? I have no plans to stop wearing masks anytime soon but other than the possibility of mutations which I guess is totally possible I should be good to go to a bar or something? My GF kind of freaked out when her mom mentioned her dad wanting to go to the bar after his second shot but I should be at a point where I don't have to be extremely worried if I'm in the same room as a bunch of non-masked mouth breathers? It's going to be real hard deprogramming ourselves to re-learn what it's like being in public and not being terrified of catching a deadly disease.

You, personally, are probably going to be ok. The vaccine seems to stop essentially all severe cases and the overwhelming majority of mild/moderate cases. The data is less certain about whether you can get a mild/asympto case, and then spread it. It's probable that you'll be less contageous even if you do catch a mild case, but we don't really know for sure. Either way, you could potentially pick it up and not really suffer from it, but then spread it to someone unvaccinated who then gets wrecked by it.

Of course, this applies to each time you get exposed, so each time is a new case of rolling the dice again on those high-but-less-than-100% likelihoods. So you might be fine and the vaccine might do enough to protect you completely the first 6 exposure scenarios where you would've otherwise caught it, but then there might be that one time where you're seated next to a superspreader for hours on end and get such a viral load that you end up with a mild case on the 7th time. There's so many variables that go into it that the vaccine should be only one layer of your swiss-cheese prevention model.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Surprisingly we're bumping up a few restrictions on Friday because the UK variant is out of control. I figured they'd be too cowardly due to the other scandals going on in Alberta right now.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Nam Taf posted:

Of course, this applies to each time you get exposed

This isn't necessarily true either, the handful of outright breakthrough deaths have likely been in people who didn't properly develop an immune response to the vaccine (bc they were 80+). There's a lot we don't know but I intend to err more on the side of caution for sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SchnorkIes posted:

This isn't necessarily true either, the handful of outright breakthrough deaths have likely been in people who didn't properly develop an immune response to the vaccine (bc they were 80+). There's a lot we don't know but I intend to err more on the side of caution for sure.

Yeah and it could even go the other way, where the vaccines are ninety‐five percent effective when most people wear a mask that at least cuts their initial viral dose, but are less effective when swapping spit at a bar.

We simply do not know to what extent it’s a per‐exposure roll, to what extent the nature of the exposure matters, and to what extent it’s baked in at or before time of vaccination by the intricacies of the individual body.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just found out my city is 3rd in the nation in new infection rates.

Last time we were national news it was because a dude shot his parents in CMUs dorms. I'm starting to understand that being national news sucks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So I guess we’re probably about to be when people who were vaccinated in trials are losing their vaccine’s efficacy. Are they able to just re-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

So I guess we’re probably about to be when people who were vaccinated in trials are losing their vaccine’s efficacy. Are they able to just re-up?

I think they've kept it up right?