Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

I still lol that Rougned Odor's brother is also named Rougned Odor, as well as their dad, Rougned Odor.

Former MLB All-Star Jose Cruz has a son Jose Cruz (Jr.) who was in the MLB for quite a while, another son Jose (Enrique) Cruz that was also a prospect that didn't quite make the majors, and another son Jose (Javier) Cruz who was also in the minors and has been missing for 15 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Well at least 0-162 will get you remembered in the record books.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Fangraphs has it

Greinke is 19th if you go from 2017 to 2021

Which would be good for third in his current team's rotation if Verlander were pitching (McCullers is just a teeny bit ahead of Greinke)

Sale is kinda nutty

Oh nice, thank you for that!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
A couple years ago Ben Clemens wrote a piece about Greinke I found really interesting: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zack-greinke-junk-merchant/

It's about the tight wire act balancing risking walks versus risking extra base hits. Old man Greinke is so fascinating to me. A young dominant arm is certainly aesthetically pleasing, but there is just something magical about an old vet relying on their wiles to get by.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMojok posted:

Where can I see CSW leaderboards?

Alex Chamberlain's Pitch Leaderboard is where the stat came from (I forget what the min pitch count was set to but we're talking about 3 years of pitches and Greinke's #1 with the min set to 3200.)

Here's his panel on the whole thing if you haven't seen it before because the Tableau stuff is a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojP6zji8_nY

EDIT: I was also wrong he was specifically atop the fastball CSW leaderboard last year.

https://twitter.com/that_glg20/status/1377823201321885698?s=20

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 7, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Apparently Tatis is going to go rest & rehab route according to the Mets booth right now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ah lovely so the Padres are choosing, "come back in 10 days, reinjure it worse at some point, then maybe consider surgery"

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1379583541340557315

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 7, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

bawfuls posted:

ah lovely so the Padres are choosing, "come back in 10 days, reinjure it worse at some point, then consider surgery"

Great idea for your franchise player you just signed to a contract that will last the next five million years.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

ah lovely so the Padres are choosing, "come back in 10 days, reinjure it worse at some point, then maybe consider surgery"

I can see trying to avoid surgery, but admitting there's a labrum tear and hoping he'll be back in the minimum seems completely ridiculous.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

On the other hand, he doesn't have to rush into surgery right away considering how long it'll keep him out.

I can't imagine letting him play though, in just 10 days.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If he comes back in 10 days and can't play then he gets the surgery then. I don't see the big issue.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s clearly made worse by his huge swings though, and people in this thread I think said it had popped out before. Maybe it had even popped out during spring training?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nagging shoulder injuries can absolutely destroy a guy's swing, seems like a really dumb idea to just hope he can power through it after some rest.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Soto on whether he considered taking on 3-0:

https://twitter.com/efitz11/status/1379578283545788418?s=21

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

If he comes back in 10 days and can't play then he gets the surgery then. I don't see the big issue.

The issue is that he might come back in 10 days and gets MORE hurt that he currently is

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Slimy Hog posted:

The issue is that he might come back in 10 days and gets MORE hurt that he currently is

Yes but unless he can injure himself to the point where the surgery won't fix it, there doesn't seem like much of a downside.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Shag Crawford was an ump that had a long career in the NL, and apparently would hug catchers.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

Shag Crawford was an ump that had a long career in the NL, and apparently would hug catchers.

I bet he used to wrestle.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

How do you think he got the nickname shag? :smuggo:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Yes but unless he can injure himself to the point where the surgery won't fix it, there doesn't seem like much of a downside.

When you're injured you end up compensating with other muscles so he could get hurt elsewhere.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, it's a bad idea to do stuff while injured. You can absolutely hurt something worse than it already was.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also shoulder injuries are just about the worst thing there is, for hitting.

I’m no doctor or MLB player etc. etc. but this plan keeps sounding worse the longer I sit here thinking about it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

lmao this unironically owns

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1379594587724001280

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

that's exactly what he could do

San Diego Union Tribune posted:

The labrum is a ring of cartilage that surrounds the shoulder and holds it in place. A fix is arthroscopic surgery that generally requires a six-month recovery and involves no future complications. Continuing to play involves some risk.

“You can make it substantially worse,” Banffy [orthopedic surgeon] said. “You can have some bone loss. What’s more worrisome is he can tear the capsule in the shoulder or even the rotator cuff. Once those other structures start getting damaged, the ultimate outcome of a surgical repair isn’t as good.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1379609958917013504

Gardner is better than Hicks and should be the CF every day and Higgy should catch Cole every time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As a sumo fan, I have a lot of experience in how "muscle through the injury" just means you just get hosed up forever. Dude should just get it done.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Surgery can still be scary and weird complications still happen, albeit rarely, on the most routine stuff so I will never fault a guy for trying to rehab normally first.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I tore my labrum ~7 years ago and opted for PT instead of surgery and it still bothers me occasionally if I use my shoulder in just the right way. And I’m not exactly swinging at 95mph fastballs and leaping for catches every day either.

Just get the drat surgery dude.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
poo poo

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1379636218695090176

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tony Phillips posted:

This is funny as Hell, but even just thinking about it again makes me roll my eyes at what giant babies the Rangers were about it.

Waiting until the 8th inning of their final game against each other that year to plunk Jose in Bautista's 33rd plate appearance against them? Using a rookie to do it no less - MATT FUCKIN BUSH's 2nd career appearance.

Basically, I'm saying unwritten rules are dumb and the DH is cool and good.

It's wild to play "what if" with it, cause if anything Bautista just got unlucky that it happened against Rougned. Any other player on the team in that situation, I think they just have a minor dust up if anything at all and that's that. Bad luck and Bautista takes it on the chin.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I don't know how much of it is just being older but ever since I got back into baseball, I feel like more young cool guys have been derailed by injury than ones who keep being cool. Paxton, Judge, Tatis, Ohtani as the biggest ones.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 7, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Feel bad for the dude. All the talent in the world, could have legitimately been one of the best pitchers in MLB, but just keeps getting sidelined by injury after injury.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hope he's OK. He seemed like a good dude with the Yankees and pitched great in the playoffs.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
He's shook and trying to avoid another run-in with the Twins Opener Eagle.

(I hope it's nothing :ohdear:)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Come join a group play of OOTP! These are fun and lets you experience the pain of long-term debilitating injuries from a managerial perspective!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man, Kershaw owned the A's last night. 7 innings, 4 baserunners, 1 run. Seems like every year he has a few bad starts, or his back acts up, and people start writing him off, and then he just keeps on dominating.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man, Kershaw owned the A's last night. 7 innings, 4 baserunners, 1 run. Seems like every year he has a few bad starts, or his back acts up, and people start writing him off, and then he just keeps on dominating.

The A's might be the worst team in baseball.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

mcmagic posted:

Pirates had a position player pitch last night in a 14-1 loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

mcmagic posted:

My teams are a combined 0-10

:toot:

:emo: