Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
A strong new leader in Scotland, are you loving kidding Toynbee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

John Charity Spring posted:

A strong new leader in Scotland, are you loving kidding Toynbee

It's a tough race but by my reckoning she's the single worst guardian columnist.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

gonadic io posted:

It's a tough race but by my reckoning she's the single worst guardian columnist.

She's obviously garbage tier, but still not as bad as Jonathan Freedland imho, and definitely not as bad as the actual worst one: Hadley Freeman.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

polly posted:

Labour is always up against impossible odds, and the local elections may yield weak results. But ahead are volatile political times. The vaccination bounce will pass: as Rob Ford told me, voters don’t do gratitude. This prime minister and his cabinet of inadequates are incapable and unwilling to meet Britain’s daunting post-Covid emergencies. Johnson’s charisma will wear very thin, and neither bogus theatrical promises nor culture war political “traps” will disguise the threadbare realities. For now, have patience, you Labour supporters, until Covid has passed.

these libs literally never learn lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every single one is the worst one. Dawn Foster was the only one ever to write a good enough article that they had to fire her for it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

oliwan posted:

these libs literally never learn lol

https://twitter.com/jimcaris/status/1379356946738872322?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

oliwan posted:

She's obviously garbage tier, but still not as bad as Jonathan Freedland imho, and definitely not as bad as the actual worst one: Hadley Freeman.

a challenger appears

https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379341076687904773?s=20
https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379343097251962884?s=20

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

oliwan posted:

I'm including in this that she is good at pretending to be somewhat left and camouflaging her garbage opinions, much like the guardian itself.

multijoe posted:

Every single one is the worst one. Dawn Foster was the only one ever to write a good enough article that they had to fire her for it

Dawn Foster really is great, her twitter is too.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

I saw the great minds of my generation offer hot takes on twitter

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

An insane mind posted:

It's actually our strategy to be losing at this stage.

I didn't think they'd come right out with it.

That's not blood in my mouth, it's victory wine

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gonadic io posted:

She's the worst of the old guard for sure: she's not had an original thought in decades but she's left to knock out this dumb fan fiction every week, 'cos she's unsackable for some reason.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
*bursts into worst guardian columnist chat sweating and out of breath* it's Adrian Chiles getting paid to write 200 words every week about things he saw on the bus because he's shagging the editor OP

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

*bursts into worst guardian columnist chat sweating and out of breath* it's Adrian Chiles getting paid to write 200 words every week about things he saw on the bus because he's shagging the editor OP

at least his pointless articles aren't political or have many words which is a lot better than most of their writers

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
His ADHD articles were good tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ah yes lets attack the unions for commissioning a poll

https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/status/1379419680314695683?s=20
https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1379418826513735682?s=20

edit: lmfao

https://twitter.com/DaveWardGS/status/1379427961632288780?s=20

https://twitter.com/DaveWardGS/status/1379422850151424005?s=20

Jose has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Apr 6, 2021

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gonadic io posted:

I'm including in this that she is good at pretending to be somewhat left and camouflaging her garbage opinions, much like the guardian itself.

Dawn Foster really is great, her twitter is too.

nah Dawn Foster sucks too, she's mates with a bunch of tradcath fascists and she was the only 'Irish Feminist' to stay completely silent about the Repeal the 8th abortion referendum because she didn't want to piss off her cryptofash friends lol. she does the exact camouflaging you're talking about

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Fair enough

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

nah Dawn Foster sucks too, she's mates with a bunch of tradcath fascists and she was the only 'Irish Feminist' to stay completely silent about the Repeal the 8th abortion referendum because she didn't want to piss off her cryptofash friends lol. she does the exact camouflaging you're talking about

she's welsh lol

anyway look at this extremely pleasant labour MP

https://twitter.com/mynnoj/status/1379433544406106113?s=20

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

watching british libs do the "yes, we lost the election, but the Republicans lost the moral high ground" :smug: thing the democrats did for all of the Trump years is just amazing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

watching british libs do the "yes, we lost the election, but the Republicans lost the moral high ground" :smug: thing the democrats did for all of the Trump years is just amazing.

tepid morality owns and an empty sack is worth the sack

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

for those not up to date with UK events a met cop kidnapped and murdered a woman and then the cops beat the poo poo out of the women that turned up to a vigil for her. the cops then investigated themselves and found they did nothing wrong

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1379556744859430915?s=20

edit: lol meant to post this in the hot takes thread

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

seems like english cops might have a problem with women??? just spitballing here

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's entirely unfair. it isn't british cops, it is all cops, and it isn't women, it is humans.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The commitment the Tory's are making towards generational warfare is unreal

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1379692466086023168?s=19

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat they're gonna kick poor and black kids out of school now?

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

Jose posted:

The commitment the Tory's are making towards generational warfare is unreal

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1379692466086023168?s=19

a generation of children are p much missing a couple years out of their teens you fuckin prick

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think gavin Williamson is the mp I hate the most and it's gonna suck when he's PM

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think gavin Williamson is the mp I hate the most and it's gonna suck when he's PM

no chance of that but i mostly agree on hating him the most

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He's useless, but not in an entertaining way which is the worst thing you can be

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jose posted:

idk, if Boris is really resigning this year, he's still a prime contender of the fascist bloc to replace him

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

i think we're just gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel for progressively worse PMs for a while, if theresa may could be PM anyone can be

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/05/gavin-williamson-described-sly-schemer-ex-minister-alan-duncan

quote:

Gavin Williamson is called 'sly schemer' by former Tory minister
Education secretary described as ‘venomous’ and ‘self-serving’ by Alan Duncan in newly released diary entries

The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, has been described as self-serving, venomous and in a rush to ascend the greasy pole by the former Foreign Office minister Alan Duncan in the latest extracts from his diaries.

“In quite the most extraordinary cabinet appointment I can think of, Gavin Williamson has been appointed defence secretary. It is absolutely absurd. He seems to have pushed himself forward for this undeserved promotion. It is a brazenly self-serving manoeuvre that will further embed the view of him as a sly schemer, which he undoubtedly is,” Duncan wrote in November 2017.

“He is also ludicrously unqualified for the heavyweight job of defence secretary, having never run anything. His experience amounts to having been a fireplace salesman, then bag-carrier for two PMs, then chief whip for a year. What on earth was the PM thinking?

“If I were more precious, I’d be pretty damned annoyed that I didn’t get it myself. But, as ever, scheming triumphs over loyalty and suitability.”

In other passages, Duncan says Williamson is suspected of briefing journalists against Conservative colleagues for his own gain and says he is “universally detested” as defence secretary – a role from which he was sacked in 2019 – having “seriously overplayed his hand” as he rushed to “ascend the greasy pole” and get the job.

etc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think we're just gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel for progressively worse PMs for a while, if theresa may could be PM anyone can be

the press loved may before she had to campaign against corbyn. they do not love williamson

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

boris johnson's government really is a cabinet of none of the talents

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

love moving goalposts by insisting politics is going to return to normal any day now

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

old gavin 100% has some kind of sex pest skeleton in a closet somewhere

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

toynbee is just A Chattering Class Person at this point, her analysis has been worthless for years. iirc she was heavily involved in the complete fiasco that was the SDP in her day - how she managed to leverage a total and cataclysmic failure into a lucrative and prestigious career remains a mystery

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

toynbee is just A Chattering Class Person at this point, her analysis has been worthless for years. iirc she was heavily involved in the complete fiasco that was the SDP in her day - how she managed to leverage a total and cataclysmic failure into a lucrative and prestigious career remains a mystery

is it though?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

kecske posted:

old gavin 100% has some kind of sex pest skeleton in a closet somewhere

i'd agree, but on the proviso that the skeleton is attached to an actual, living sex pest in a literal closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

how [british person] managed to leverage a total and cataclysmic failure into a lucrative and prestigious career remains a mystery