Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

AB+ definitely made The Lost fun rather than absurd bullshit, but I still found him the second hardest character to 100% after Keeper. At the end of the day, thanks to boss armour you have to either break the game completely with something like gnawed leaf or get through a very lengthy fight with Hush and/or Delirium without taking more than one hit, and that’s not easy for me.

Algiz is also a pretty critical component in beating Lost and Keeper runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

:shepicide: completely broken run, Keeper with ipecac and revelations. Instakilled everything, until the very last phase of the final boss, where the ipecac shots kept hitting spiky things that got too close

angled shots in general seems really lovely for the final boss, ipecac goes way too high and haemacloria flies offscreen if you aren't directly below the boss

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mod to remove boss armor imo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'd take a mod that auto unlocks everything that requires completion of AB content.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

TBOI succeeds despite Edmund’s best efforts

It's pretty loving telling that this, the best expansion Isaac has ever had, was mostly done by other people and involved actively shutting down Ed's bad ideas (for example, his original plans for most of the Tainted characters)

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I believe it triggers every minute, when the clock hits XX:00. Every time I checked the time after a random dark art, it was just past :00

Not 100% sure, but I THINK it's double-tapping a movement key?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What were his original plans? I haven't seen the interview.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Backpack, Converter and Guppy's Paw is a very very strong combination

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Unlocked the challenge with no name.

I have no idea what's going on here and I'm loving every second of it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Wave posted:

What were his original plans? I haven't seen the interview.

Bad enough that all of them were considered unplayable hard/unfun by the antibirth team.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

It's pretty loving telling that this, the best expansion Isaac has ever had, was mostly done by other people and involved actively shutting down Ed's bad ideas (for example, his original plans for most of the Tainted characters)
I'm not sure about that. A lot of the patently awful ideas (J+E, destructable orbitals, Damocles) in this expansion were in Antibirth.

e: did anyone actually play antibirth rather than just praising it in the abstract? Because I've never seen anyone ever mention how much J+E suck poo poo before Repetence launched.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 6, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't touch antibirth because Afterbirth was bad enough to put me off of the game (and rebirth was too similar to vanilla isaac to hold my interest for all that long, having played the gently caress out of vanilla isaac). Regardless of specific item/character choices the feeling/flow of runs is imo vastly improved and I'm not sure who to credit with that.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 6, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played Antibirth and it was really good tho rough in a few places.
Jacob and Esau I never played much because my brain wasn't big enough to use them but Bethanny was awesome (and still is)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

e: did anyone actually play antibirth rather than just praising it in the abstract? Because I've never seen anyone ever mention how much J+E suck poo poo before Repetence launched.

Nah, I couldn't figure out how to make it work. I think maybe they made mods a lot easier in a later update, but it used to require like editing a bunch of game files and poo poo?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Augus posted:

I played Antibirth and it was really good tho rough in a few places.

:same:

I miss getting brimstone nearly every run due to the interaction between sulfur and battery charges. Also, Antibirth was generally way, way easier due to being based on an earlier version of Isaac.

Anyway, lots of characters are pretty hard to play compared to Isaac, don't know why so many people lose their poo poo over J&E. Just don't play them. If you want the unlocks download a save. No-one is forcing you to do content you don't want to do.

Expansion packs for Isaac are always going to be extremely hard starting out. They're aimed at people who have been playing the game for 10 years and find the existing content trivial.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
One issue I'm having with repentance is that speed is such a binary pass/fail stat now with the increased shot speed/attack speed and new bosses and enemies. That's not to say that low/default speed is impossible but if you don't get a speed upgrade relatively early - doubly so when going the alt path - then you start bleeding damage from attacks that require incredibly tight movement or in some cases just outright being forced to take damage on certain rooms. It kind of reminds me of adaptability from dark souls 2 in that upgrading speed is less of an upgrade but more of a stat "tax" to get your character to a baseline where things feel more consistent.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm not sure about that. A lot of the patently awful ideas (J+E, destructable orbitals, Damocles) in this expansion were in Antibirth.

So how thick were your blindfold and earplugs when AB+ launched, then? (And AB. And Rebirth itself...)

I actually really like Jacob and Esau as a concept. The increased damage makes the early floors much less tedious, you get a steady flow of extra items if you’re taking the alt path or angel rooms, your bombs are twice as good, you can hold twice as many cards/pills and trinkets for the later floors, and if you’ve set them up right then finding a reroll is a won run. These are massive advantages. You just need to git gud at dealing with the hitbox and smoothly recombining them when they separate, which is difficult but I do seem to be improving as I play them. The only negative thing I’d say is that I wish they separated less when you just run into a wall, and there are a couple of very constrained rooms which are hell to navigate.

e: Actually... you do know you can hold Ctrl to move just Jacob, right? That’s why them getting split up costs you a hit or two rather than the entire run.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 6, 2021

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Jacob and Esau can take an item each if you line them up next to each other. This works on the alt path, both More Options's, boss rush, hush item rooms, generally any situation with several items that normally despawn after you pick one.

Also flight on one of them helps a lot with avoiding creep and spikes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do know about the ctrl key. It's useful for getting more value out of bombs and double dipping on item rooms but it's extremely clumsy to use in combat, especially if Esau is the one who's being boxed in by something.

J+E do get more damage at the start of the game, but it doesn't actually scale at all because they don't share items. The extra character mostly amounts to a flat damage bonus (except in the rare cases where you get two relevant damage upgrades on the alternate path at once), while always being a horrific hitbox liability that can lose you the game at any point.

It's true that it's something you can improve at (I did beat Greedier Mode with them today), but it's just painfully unfun compared to every other character who has a reasonable hitbox and sensible controls. Old Keeper was difficult but he just demanded strong core BoI skills, rather than requiring you to wrestle with awful mechanics.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Antibirth was great. J&E were and are challenging in an interesting way. Bethany was always great. The powerful new items helped take the edge off of the more difficult parts.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

If you're losing the game from getting separated once, then you're doing something horribly wrong. Getting separated should be causing you to take one or two hits while you deal with any immediate threat and get them re-situated, no more than that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lmfao Binge Eater is an absolutely incredible item

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

If you're losing the game from getting separated once, then you're doing something horribly wrong. Getting separated should be causing you to take one or two hits while you deal with any immediate threat and get them re-situated, no more than that.
One to two hits is a lot more devastating on J&E because of the separated health pool. That can easily put one of your characters into near-critical HP and the larger hitbox when you're together means there's a fair amount of patterns / bosses that are absolute nightmares to deal with.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

So much for "the game will be harder to break". Tech X + Marked is hilarious, and it just kept snowballing from there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
beginning to think that people complaining about no longer being able to break the game were just overreacting a bit

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I happened to have 99 coins, which I assume the R Key item always costs when it shows up. restart the whole run, but with the items I already have! which was only not as good as it could have been because I was Tainted Isaac, who can only hold eight passives.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

flatluigi posted:

beginning to think that people complaining about no longer being able to break the game were just overreacting a bit

And you can perfectly play the game without a game breaking combination (save for certain characters and challenges). I just did a Mega Satan run with Magdalene where I relied exclusively on Epic Fetus. Which yeah it's an amazing item but the constant dodging my own attacks, lack of stat ups and some terrible choices (Technology 0.5+My Mirror) made the run a drag, and I probably only survived thanks to pretty flies to defend myself with. And then died to my own bomb in the Void.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

So how thick were your blindfold and earplugs when AB+ launched, then? (And AB. And Rebirth itself...)

I actually really like Jacob and Esau as a concept. The increased damage makes the early floors much less tedious, you get a steady flow of extra items if you’re taking the alt path or angel rooms, your bombs are twice as good, you can hold twice as many cards/pills and trinkets for the later floors, and if you’ve set them up right then finding a reroll is a won run. These are massive advantages. You just need to git gud at dealing with the hitbox and smoothly recombining them when they separate, which is difficult but I do seem to be improving as I play them. The only negative thing I’d say is that I wish they separated less when you just run into a wall, and there are a couple of very constrained rooms which are hell to navigate.

e: Actually... you do know you can hold Ctrl to move just Jacob, right? That’s why them getting split up costs you a hit or two rather than the entire run.

They actually did a lot to make Bethany more fun (Book of Virtues being able to hold an item is a great change), I just wish they would have put the same effort into J&E. I mean, I think literally all it would take is being able to toggle between having them glued together and moving separately. It would still be challenging like alt-Lazarus because your items are split between two characters, it just would give people the option to not control two characters in two separate locations with the same inputs if they, like me, just can't wrap their brain around that poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They actually did a lot to make Bethany more fun (Book of Virtues being able to hold an item is a great change), I just wish they would have put the same effort into J&E. I mean, I think literally all it would take is being able to toggle between having them glued together and moving separately. It would still be challenging like alt-Lazarus because your items are split between two characters, it just would give people the option to not control two characters in two separate locations with the same inputs if they, like me, just can't wrap their brain around that poo poo.
What are you seeing as the alternative? You can make esau stop but that's suicide more often than not.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

No Wave posted:

What are you seeing as the alternative? You can make esau stop but that's suicide more often than not.

My fix would be to have the two literally linked together, Esau following directly behind Jacob. This means their hitbox is twice as long, but makes them much easier to control. Then, if you want to, you can press Ctrl to manually separate them, or hold it to just have Esau freeze. I really think that would fix most people's issues with the characters getting separated mid-combat and taking huge amounts of damage, which at least is the cause of most of my death spirals with them.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I don't really put any stock in anonymous posts of "Everything bad was Ed and everything good was me/us" because if you're putting out anonymous posts of course you'd say that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

swear they never give me a d6 room unless i would never touch it

that book-void has belial and reusable soul protection and something else in there. red key. when a reusable soul protection wisp dies it becomes a four horseman buddy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My fix would be to have the two literally linked together, Esau following directly behind Jacob. This means their hitbox is twice as long, but makes them much easier to control. Then, if you want to, you can press Ctrl to manually separate them, or hold it to just have Esau freeze. I really think that would fix most people's issues with the characters getting separated mid-combat and taking huge amounts of damage, which at least is the cause of most of my death spirals with them.
It's crazy that "Isaac's Heart without the upside" would be an improvement, but yeah that could be better.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Tried Bloody Mary challenge and had a strong run with Brimstone+high damage+Little Chad--seemed like everything was lining up. Except I got to Depths I and guess what? Curse of Darkness. Second room was completely dark and got whacked by a jumping pajamaman. gently caress. THIS. CURSE. Especially on depths the worst place to get it. BULLSHIT!!

However, very next attempt I got Old Bandage and then every floor the thing stabbed me I got a red heart or two. Ended up winning with a flawless victory on Satan. Got my revenge!!

I love Jacob and Esau personally even if they drive me nuts sometimes. Nowhere NEAR as bad as stuff like the bad version of lost or old keeper.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's crazy that "Isaac's Heart without the upside" would be an improvement, but yeah that could be better.
There's a lot of upside... one thing I don't like about J+E's design is their big edge, picking up two items at once from choice pedestals, is a totally hidden mechanic.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i havent played this game in forever and i totally suck at it

i want to get back to being good at my favourite characters, apollyon and the little skeleton man

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Wow, they buffed Scissors to actually be really good.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Today's shockingly good combo - tech 2, mom's eye, perfection trinket. I was shooting so many lasers out my rear end anything that wasn't The Beast or the 4 Ultra horsemen melted instantly. I still killed all those bosses of course. As the Lost.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I keep getting sick early game combos that promise to be unstoppable later, but then dying. I'm having fun but I'm ragequitting twice as much as usual haha

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

One thing I wish hadn't been changed is the mimic sprites. They're so hard for me to see now that they might as well be unavoidable damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its her most predictable attack but my dumb rear end still keeps getting hosed up by mother’s off screen rush attack lol