Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

wins32767 posted:

I just confused you and lightpole. I'm not sure why the drugs being on a waiver applies to my argument and I was trying to understand why it was important.

Special dispensation for a product or company is given for extenuating circumstances and you appear to continue with the belief that the company owes nothing to the public for this and are justified in maximizing profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
be careful who you retweet

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1379556984073158657

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MSNBC says Trump dropped Gaetz.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

MSNBC says Trump dropped Gaetz.

Overblown, but will have true evidence later:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1379554392383352840

Donnie's people told Donnie to shut the hell up because Gaetz has no friends, is flailing, and nobody knows the true status of the investigation (and feds love flailing targets). If Gaetz gets turned away for this fundraiser, then you really know.

Edit: Gaetz is fundraising on the accusations too

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 6, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As Ayrton Senna famously said, “if you no longer go for a grift that exists, you are no longer a grifting politician”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1379583202168279040

Hmm yes a prominent politician calling for you to resign following credible sexual assault allegations is the same as a pig cop kneeling on your neck until you die. Go gently caress yourself, Fairfax.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Matt Gaetz, Loyal for Years to Trump, Is Said to Have Sought a Blanket Pardon

quote:

Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, was one of President Donald J. Trump’s most vocal allies during his term, publicly pledging loyalty and even signing a letter nominating the president for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In the final weeks of Mr. Trump’s term, Mr. Gaetz sought something in return. He privately asked the White House for blanket pre-emptive pardons for himself and unidentified congressional allies for any crimes they may have committed, according to two people told of the discussions.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So that's why Butt-Head sucked up to him so hard. :laffo:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hahaha holy poo poo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
March 31st, in Politico:

quote:

To be sure, Gaetz has fiercely denied the allegations against him. “I’m not seeking a pardon. I’ve not done anything improper or wrong,” Gaetz told Tucker Carlson on Tuesday night. The sophomore GOP lawmaker later told POLITICO that he had not asked his ally Trump for a pardon before the former president left office.

Gaetz got underbussed in the administration's last days after Donnie found out he couldn't pardon himself and had Gaetz on him like a barnacle for years.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1379583202168279040

Hmm yes a prominent politician calling for you to resign following credible sexual assault allegations is the same as a pig cop kneeling on your neck until you die. Go gently caress yourself, Fairfax.

https://twitter.com/muchanem/status/1379587884286623748

FYI, here's who he was sharing the stage with when he made that comment:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Go gently caress yourself, Fairfax.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Who is that rad candidate second from the left? The one who is good at the twitters and has good policy and isn't quiet about it? Our spiritual goon candidate Lee Carter!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Yeah coincidentally the line-up shakes out roughly as:

code:
THE LEFT---------------------------THE LEFT---------------------------A SEXUAL ABUSER---------------------------THE RIGHT---------------------------THE RIGHT
Haven't been following the VA Governor's race too closely but Jennifer Foy (far left) seems pretty decent if not quite as openly as Comrade Lee.

Jennifer McClellan (far right) is tied pretty closely into the Kaine / Warner / McAuliffe side of the party and is probably a DNC back-up in case McAuliffe flames out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

motherfucker even sounds like ben shapiro

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also Marans interviewed me at a Bernie event once glad to see he's a good bro

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

M_Gargantua posted:

Who is that rad candidate second from the left? The one who is good at the twitters and has good policy and isn't quiet about it? Our spiritual goon candidate Lee Carter!

He kinda sucks actually, going by what his staff have said. He has the ideology but no understanding that you can't simply shitpost legislation into action, and his run for governor is a total no-hoper ego project.

I was very sad to learn this.

Meanwhile Danica Roem is doing great work legislating but has less than zero ambitions for higher office. All she wants to do is fix the drat roads.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 7, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He kinda sucks actually, going by what his staff have said. He has the ideology but no understanding that you can't simply shitpost legislation into action, and his run for governor is a total no-hoper ego project.

You say that, but it’s happened before.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

You say that, but it’s happened before.

Yeah but he's not the right kind of shitposter.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There was an active shooter at Fort Detrick today.

https://news.usni.org/2021/04/06/active-duty-sailor-killed-after-shooting-2-adults-in-frederick-md-navy-confirms#more-84817

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

38 year old 3rd class. Well I guess I know why he was so angry but it sucks for his poor victims.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Crab Dad posted:

38 year old 3rd class. Well I guess I know why he was so angry but it sucks for his poor victims.

Yeah, being in since 2012 but only being 3rd class indicates a problem

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Looks like we might be on a roll concerning vaccines of all kinds:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/research-shows-promising-development-hunt-hiv-vaccine/story?id=76904202

An early trial is showing a HIV vaccine to be 97% effective. It is early, and I'm sure it will fail somehow, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/yahoofinance/status/1379735895046299648?s=21

Dang. Thoughts and prayers tho.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The link is dead.

Are they trying to say that the poor, poor daytraders are going to lose money because the little guy has a few bucks to spend?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

The link is dead.

Are they trying to say that the poor, poor daytraders are going to lose money because the little guy has a few bucks to spend?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whats-good-for-america-might-be-bad-for-stocks-morning-brief-095920705.html

quote:

And these firm data points help bring into focus an idea that has been percolating through the Morning Brief in recent weeks, which is that what is good for the U.S. economy and daily life normalizing after the pandemic shock might not be great for markets. These data also serve as another way to say, as we did last week, that what has been working over the last year might not work in the months ahead.

At this point, the bullish narrative of a recovering/reopening economy is very much the consensus view," Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson said in a recent note. "That doesn't make it wrong, but markets are discounting machines and may already reflect the recovery from last year's sharp recession."

For the last year, we've chronicled the various ways markets have remained focused on prospects for an economic recovery and an associated bounce in corporate profits. Surges in the virus, the expiration of fiscal stimulus, and questions over the outcome of the presidential election, among other concerns, all at various points presented investors with serious questions about the health of the market rally.

The response from strategists and the market's action suggested that so long as the future looked better than the present, these worries could be shaken off. But with these anticipated surges in economic growth now coming to pass, the question facing investors is where the next leg of growth comes from.

And more good news — let alone news that shows growth moderating just a bit — might not cut it.

Pandemics: bad for business.

Also bad for business: fixing pandemics.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It seems the Trump white house negotiated vaccine contracts which prohibit the US from sending vaccines overseas.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1379621738850422787

e: fixed phone posting typos

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 7, 2021

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Like other than mustache twirling evil. loving why would you do that??

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I'm assuming it means that a bunch of doses get wasted, but are still paid for, so the drug companies get a bunch of extra profits while people around the world that could use those vaccines die :911: :capitalism:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flikken posted:

Like other than mustache twirling evil. loving why would you do that??

Reptiles don't have moustaches.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ZombieApostate posted:

I'm assuming it means that a bunch of doses get wasted, but are still paid for, so the drug companies get a bunch of extra profits while people around the world that could use those vaccines die :911: :capitalism:

It's not quite that bad. Chances are that the Biden administration finds creative legal ways to get around the dumb poo poo, like the "loan" of AZ/Oxford doses to Mexico/Canada. Right now, every dose of J&J/Moderna/Pfizer gets into an arm or is earmarked for an arm somewhere in the United States. Nothing's wasted except for the botched Johnsons (because who wants a botched Johnson?).

US demand for vaccines is still near-infinite for another few months, so nothing is gathering dust on shelves for very long. By the time we run out of arms, the Biden folks will figure out if the nonsense the Trump administration agreed to was due to companies' legal concerns, classic greed, or both and act accordingly to fix the problem and get the doses to the rest of the world. The Vanity Fair article heavily implies that the DoD folks took the route of "We don't have time for this legal poo poo, we needs these contracts loving done or other countries get these first doses" and there's now time for legal wrangling to unwind that.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

My read of that article is that the markets follow not today but the future. More accurately, they follow predictions of the future, and the predictions of the future have been that supply will rebound, demand will rebound and the economic situation will be better when it does.

But now, that's all baked in and there's less on the horizon to drive further optimism. There's not the obvious growth opportunity of market recovery in the future because it's already recovered, and there's not a source of optimism to follow it.

As various actors expend effort to catch up with the reopened economy, they won't be spending effort preparing for the future, so we should expect economic growth to remain slow, and the market to reflect that prediction.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

National Review getting back to their roots.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/04/why-not-fewer-voters/

quote:

Much of the discussion about proposed changes to voting laws backed by many Republicans and generally opposed by Democrats begs the question and simply asserts that having more people vote is, ceteris paribus, a good thing.

Why should we believe that?

Why shouldn’t we believe the opposite? That the republic would be better served by having fewer — but better — voters?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah they should suppress the votes of that author and everyone involved in publishing that schlock

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah they should suppress the votes of that author and everyone involved in publishing that schlock

Anyone who John Brown would have shot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Unterbussen.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1379812822612377606

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1379820589414768643

Four years of asskissing and all Gaetz gets is a few sentences in a random press statement.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Educated voters are obviously higher quality so I'm glad they agree only those with a 4 year degree should vote....

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Meanwhile, in nz

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/124763309/woman-threatened-to-blow-up-plane-after-not-being-given-free-wine

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

in case you were wondering what profession housed such a piece of poo poo, it is "instagram model"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lol because of course it loving is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ah yes. When in doubt call every man you see a rapist. Classy.