Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pantheon: faaaaaaarrrrtttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Pantheon: Rise of the Grift - Lifetime Membership Edition.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Drama Alarm!

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/ml76qr/mod_update_an_unfortunate_incident_to_report/

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

It's actually bullshit*

NickHots is the good moderator, and Sparxx is the one that is running the sub into the ground.
Apologies for double post meant to edit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/ml76qr/mod_update_an_unfortunate_incident_to_report/gtk356d/
Now PantheonPlus is arguing. :munch:

Update*
Thread nuked, OP deleted all posts- NickHots no longer moderator

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 6, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a tl;dr of what happened before all of the evidence was deleted? Everyone on that subreddit is probably bored because it's clear no progress on Pantheon is being made, and the project is dead.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Didn't get to it before it was nuked, what was it?

Let me guess, Kilsin being :smuggo: and unprofessional as usual?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Maybe I'm just becoming an old man, but I don't understand what these NFTs are. I keep hearing about them as art pieces, like screenshots, paintings, recordings, etc but... how the gently caress does that work? I can literally just right click->save as with the artwork or download it from somewhere or something.

How is this a form of currency? It seems even stupider than bitcoin, which is impressive because bitcoin is already very stupid, but at least the theory kinda makes sense.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

Maybe I'm just becoming an old man, but I don't understand what these NFTs are. I keep hearing about them as art pieces, like screenshots, paintings, recordings, etc but... how the gently caress does that work? I can literally just right click->save as with the artwork or download it from somewhere or something.

How is this a form of currency? It seems even stupider than bitcoin, which is impressive because bitcoin is already very stupid, but at least the theory kinda makes sense.

It's a downloadable image that also has a list somewhere that says the name of who actually "owns" it. Also that list has no owner and is in a crypto blockchain because something something globalist elites.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FrostyPox posted:

It's basically when you and your friends are talking about a movie, and someone is like "I saw that in theaters, on release night.". So they get to wave their ticket stub in your face like they had something special, but at the end of the day you all saw the same loving movie.

NFTs are exactly what you think they are, and the only reason they "work", for a very loose definition of "work", is that people are speculating in them as the next big thing and so each person is conning the next person in line for slightly more money. It's straight up just a pyramid scheme, there is no intrinsic value to any of it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just like non-dividend-issuing stocks, really.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
So it's not that juicy (and it's mostly the reason I didn't save the logs or anything because honestly it's just people likely being the product of coincidence)

- Random makes a post on reddit saying that the main forum moderation is too much (A different post was deleted on main forums by Kilsin, which spurred this.)
- That reddit post is deleted by Sparxx (Sparxx has a history of banhammering everyone and deleting posts that don't align with his viewpoint, and is known to be chummy with Kilsin)
- Random msgs NickHots to reinstate the reddit post, which he does because it's only a post asking VR to be a bit more accountable. (Nick had been mostly lurking in the shadows for the subreddit, and Sparxx had been doing 95% of the moderation)
- Some time passes and "Out of the Blue" Kilsin msgs NickHots to step down from the moderation team as he has conflicting interested being a dev on another game.
- NickHots posts this to reddit with the implication that Sparxx got annoyed and contacted Kilsin and they both decided to remove NickHots (Which is conjecture).
- Minus from Pantheon plus decides to call Nick out for being petty and childish, and Nick responds saying that's not true. (I don't know what's true but I know Minus is also a child so?)
- NickHots removes all posts from the thread and likely steps down from being an Admin. (Thread had like 56% upvotes at the time- Though you have to understand that most people that would even support removing Sparxx are not even using the subreddit because of their views being silenced).

Ultimately a lot of people hate Sparxx because he's a beta bitch that can't hack it and needs Admin powers to silence people- but here's a little picture of the two interacting that sums this poo poo up nicely:

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 6, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sachant posted:

It's a downloadable image that also has a list somewhere that says the name of who actually "owns" it. Also that list has no owner and is in a crypto blockchain because something something globalist elites.

Zaodai posted:

It's basically when you and your friends are talking about a movie, and someone is like "I saw that in theaters, on release night.". So they get to wave their ticket stub in your face like they had something special, but at the end of the day you all saw the same loving movie.

NFTs are exactly what you think they are, and the only reason they "work", for a very loose definition of "work", is that people are speculating in them as the next big thing and so each person is conning the next person in line for slightly more money. It's straight up just a pyramid scheme, there is no intrinsic value to any of it.

Sounds really loving dumb. Sounds like a barter system but even more obtuse, unwieldly, and for items with little intrinsic value. Of course weirdo AnCaps love it.

EDIT: And for items you can get 100% accurate carbon-copies of, making the items worth even less

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Zaodai posted:

As someone who has made a nice little chunk of cash* speculating on basketball mp4s, I can assure you this is entirely correct.

*May or may not ever be able to convert to actual US currency

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wow that’s a big ol reminder that Reddit is still as toxic as ever.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaodai posted:

this is an excellent explanation. i am stealing this to share with non-technical friends and family.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hobocrunch posted:

So it's not that juicy (and it's mostly the reason I didn't save the logs or anything because honestly it's just people likely being the product of coincidence)

- Random makes a post on reddit saying that the main forum moderation is too much (A different post was deleted on main forums by Kilsin, which spurred this.)
- That reddit post is deleted by Sparxx (Sparxx has a history of banhammering everyone and deleting posts that don't align with his viewpoint, and is known to be chummy with Kilsin)
- Random msgs NickHots to reinstate the reddit post, which he does because it's only a post asking VR to be a bit more accountable. (Nick had been mostly lurking in the shadows for the subreddit, and Sparxx had been doing 95% of the moderation)
- Some time passes and "Out of the Blue" Kilsin msgs NickHots to step down from the moderation team as he has conflicting interested being a dev on another game.
- NickHots posts this to reddit with the implication that Sparxx got annoyed and contacted Kilsin and they both decided to remove NickHots (Which is conjecture).
- Minus from Pantheon plus decides to call Nick out for being petty and childish, and Nick responds saying that's not true. (I don't know what's true but I know Minus is also a child so?)
- NickHots removes all posts from the thread and likely steps down from being an Admin. (Thread had like 56% upvotes at the time- Though you have to understand that most people that would even support removing Sparxx are not even using the subreddit because of their views being silenced).

Ultimately a lot of people hate Sparxx because he's a beta bitch that can't hack it and needs Admin powers to silence people- but here's a little picture of the two interacting that sums this poo poo up nicely:

lmao, this is pretty close to what I imagined was going on. This is the sort of drama that happens in MMO circles when nothing is going on, like with Pantheon because its a dead project.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FrostyPox posted:

Sounds really loving dumb. Sounds like a barter system but even more obtuse, unwieldly, and for items with little intrinsic value. Of course weirdo AnCaps love it.

EDIT: And for items you can get 100% accurate carbon-copies of, making the items worth even less

NFTs are the result of someone seeing Chris Roberts selling jpegs of spaceships for thousands of dollars and thinking "How can I do that without having to pretend to develop a video game?"

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hobocrunch posted:

Pantheon is just a social experiment. This is the actual MMO.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In all honesty I think Visionary Realms is kinda cute.

It's like a small child putting on his dad's shirt and necktie and pretending to be an accountant or whatever his dad's job is.

"Look! Look! We're game developers!"

Sure you are, champs!

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

hobocrunch posted:

Sachant posted:

I wonder if devs ever look at their stable of content creators and regret what they've brought into the world. The worst part for them is they need to placate and support them on the surface.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ehud posted:

Pantheon is just a social experiment. This is the actual MMO.

What does the endgame raiding look like in this scenario? Swatting people or actually going to their house and destroying their computer so they can no longer post?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

I dunno about you all, but being able to prove that you were among the lucky few to have seen 'Cats' before the cat buttholes were digitally removed seems like a pretty valuable thing to me.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Zil posted:

What does the endgame raiding look like in this scenario? Swatting people or actually going to their house and destroying their computer so they can no longer post?

“Creating monetized content about a game that doesn’t exist” is my favorite high level dungeon in Pantheon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Every single possible thing you can do wrong with a Kickstarter, Pantheon has managed to do it.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I was watching a video and noticed what is probably the quality of end-game armor- It looks okay.

Keep in mind this is just screenshotted from youtube:

The human model / posture / animations still needs work though.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
is there really an end-game if there is no game?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Mom said it's my turn on the raid boss.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Vomik posted:

is there really an end-game if there is no game?

perpetual pre-alpha is the endgame

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

hobocrunch posted:

I was watching a video and noticed what is probably the quality of end-game armor- It looks okay.

Keep in mind this is just screenshotted from youtube:

The human model / posture / animations still needs work though.

they should've just done everything in that lo poly style they were doing for greyblocks. not sure if that guy is a very spiky shrub or if he's in a suit of armor. i feel like a lot of these games go crazy with greebling the armor and it just ends up having poor silhouettes and looks washed out against the game world.

i'm qualified to say this because i spent $10 on aseprite and have used blender a couple times :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's hard to know how final any of this will really be because the game has been in the prototyping / pre-alpha stage since 2012.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It's hard to know how final any of this will really be because the game has been in the prototyping / pre-alpha stage since 2012.
After the next rewrite the game is gonna be amazing, you'll see!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I said come in! posted:

Sounds like they are almost making progress on an idea.

I don’t know how someone can put features like items and combat on a list of features you know people want but also aren’t sure how to implement.

Brad would be proud though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Current list of features:
The game will have characters
The game will have locations
There might be weapons and armor and attacks, we aren't sure yet

Give me kickstarter money

EDIT: Unrelated to Pantheon but related to NFT's, apparently thrash metal band Megadeth sold an NFT for 18 grand in some kind of fake internet currency loving lmao. What is this world?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 13, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FrostyPox posted:

EDIT: Unrelated to Pantheon but related to NFT's, apparently thrash metal band Megadeth sold an NFT for 18 grand in some kind of fake internet currency loving lmao. What is this world?

Blockchain is a buzzword invented by scam artists to part the idle wealthy from their money. It's scammers and idiots all the way down.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

DeathSandwich posted:

Blockchain is a buzzword invented by scam artists to part the idle wealthy from their money. It's scammers and idiots all the way down.

I lost out on an absolute shitload of money because the SA adage of "cryptocurrencies are pyramid schemes" stuck fast; I also thought this for way too long & avoided anything blockchain-related. Don't be me.

The JPEG thing though? That sounds all kinds of stupid to me, but I guess someone somewhere cares about "owning" interweb pictures or something.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The future of currency is lasers because then every transaction is a cool laser fight. That’s how you know it’s the future.

Coming soon to preorders a pantheon colored laser beam.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

randombattle posted:

The future of currency is lasers because then every transaction is a cool laser fight. That’s how you know it’s the future.
the future is now: https://www.laserfocusworld.com/fiber-optics/article/14183435/hollowcore-fiber-gives-highfrequency-traders-an-edge

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
what I don't get is how does this "company" not have a single ideas guy? it seems like every other industry is overrun with them.

without brad getting high and writing articles about some stupid bullshit i feel like there's no way this company can carve out a niche in the fake game market.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Vomik posted:

what I don't get is how does this "company" not have a single ideas guy? it seems like every other industry is overrun with them.

without brad getting high and writing articles about some stupid bullshit i feel like there's no way this company can carve out a niche in the fake game market.

My absolutely shot-in-the-dark wild guess is that they don't have any "ideas guys" cuz the only people Brad managed to hook were people slavishly devoted to his "vision", same as the people who are bizarrely obsessed with this game and the halcyon days of Verant/989 early EQ. They didn't have ideas, they had Brad and The Vision (TM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I liked The Vision™ and Verant/989 EQ. I like playing on P99 EQ too. Pantheon won't be anywhere close to any of those things. Which could be a good thing for some but definitely not for me.