Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i guess she comes from a long line of chatterers so somebody probably knew her dad or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

the press loved may before she had to campaign against corbyn. they do not love williamson

they love whoever they are told to love.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Northern Ireland has been on fire for a week

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thats a whole different country

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nonsense posted:

Northern Ireland has been on fire for a week

lol at the bbc's coverage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

inquiry into unions but not government contracts lol

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1379778427935424520?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

also the only people interviewed as part of that len mcluskey story are his last opponent in the unite leadership election, ben bradshaw and neil coyle who are 2 of the worst MPs in the labour party. bradshaw particularly just spends all of his time bashing the unions

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Any good sources for what's happening in Northern Ireland? The media here in freedomland is totally ignoring it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The guardian is at least talking about it, even if it mostly blames it all on "criminal gangs" and "disaffected teens" lol
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/05/further-violence-breaks-out-in-northern-ireland-despite-appeals-for-calm

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/northern-ireland-dishonesty-over-brexit-fuelled-loyalist-anger-says-stormont-minister

Aww do the unionists feel betrayed, so sad that this unforeseeable event has come to pass

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I imagine everybody in NI feels pretty loving abandoned at the very least

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Source4Leko posted:

Any good sources for what's happening in Northern Ireland? The media here in freedomland is totally ignoring it.
An evergreen post

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gonadic io posted:

I imagine everybody in NI feels pretty loving abandoned at the very least

no doubt but loving lol at the dup in particular

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jose posted:

no doubt but loving lol at the dup in particular

they got duped

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the DUP were promised a battery of solid gold puckle guns to shoot at papists with and then after the 2019 elections it turns out the tories didn't need them anymore. whoops.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they had a strong but relatively difficult hand to play in 2017, but they completely hosed it up, even more so than labour did imo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they wanted to grift and they got it. expensive fuckin bung from their perspective really lmao

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
time to make a DUPed and REFUKed coallition

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Source4Leko posted:

It's a combination of 3 main things.

1. Last June there was a huge funeral for a well-known IRA member. Several thousand people, including prominent Sinn Fein members, attended in breach of CoVID guidelines. Last week the Director of Public Prosecutions ruled that nobody involved would face charges or fines.

Unionists are mad about this and accusing the PSNI of political policing, despite them taking the same kid gloves approach to illegal Unionist gatherings - focusing instead on cracking down on student house parties and BLM protests. The real reason they're acting mad is that the Orange Order marching season starts soon, and they want to be able to justify breaching any restrictions still in place by pointing at Sinn Fein and declaring that if Nationalists can be socially irresponsible then Unionists should have the right to be just as bad.

If that sounds stupid it's because it is and NI politics is always a 2-sided race to the bottom.

2. Unionists are also angry that, after years of campaigning for Brexit and a hard border, they ended up getting a hard border Brexit. The DUP are trying to backpedal somewhat as their support among moderate Unionists is dwindling. Meanwhile much of their hardcore base is going revisionist by imagining the whole Brexit idea as a sinister plot by the EU/Ireland/Sinn Fein to annex Northern Ireland. Thus removing NI from the good union and dragging it back into the bad union.

3. A number of high-profile Loyalist paramilitaries have been arrested recently on drug trafficking charges. This has got them rattled and worried that the police might be taking the highly unorthodox action of cracking down on organized crime.

Because of all of the above the Loyalist paramilitaries, with tacit support from the DUP, have been encouraging teenagers to gather for the past week to attack the police. To date the riots have been sporadic and small-scale, especially by NI standards, and limited to a small number of deprived loyalist areas.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/writing-opinion-pieces-with-polly-toynbee-and-tim-dowling-tickets-148352017879

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

somebody help out an ignorant american here: do "unionist" and "loyalist" mean the same thing?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pizza Segregationist posted:

somebody help out an ignorant american here: do "unionist" and "loyalist" mean the same thing?

uh, sorta? a unionist is anyone who wants to maintain the united kingdom, in the irish context they're quite often also loyalists. i think it is a self descriptive word that the protestant irish unionists use to highlight how they're more british than the british.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I think loyalists are the ultra versions of unionists

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Its as Coolcab says, but political parties are more referred to as 'unionists'.
While non-political parties, like the UVF/UDA gangs are 'loyalists'.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Meanwhile much of their hardcore base is going revisionist by imagining the whole Brexit idea as a sinister plot by the EU/Ireland/Sinn Fein to annex Northern Ireland. Thus removing NI from the good union and dragging it back into the bad union.

lol

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think loyalists are the ultra versions of unionists

The gammon on the street is a loyalist, the gammon in the suit is a Unionist.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Broadly yes, Unionist is the term for people who support the political union between NI and GB. Loyalist describes people prepared to defend that union by any means necessary, even if it means destroying the Union they claim to support.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Broadly yes, Unionist is the term for people who support the political union between NI and GB. Loyalist describes people prepared to defend that union by any means necessary, even if it means destroying the Union they claim to support.

That makes sense. Hilariously, most of the descendants of NI protestant immigrants to the US have learned to call themselves "Scots-Irish" but have no conception of what that means and just kind of assume they are part Irish and thus must hate the British monarchy, just like the founding fathers. NI protestants keep losing.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

That makes sense. Hilariously, most of the descendants of NI protestant immigrants to the US have learned to call themselves "Scots-Irish" but have no conception of what that means and just kind of assume they are part Irish and thus must hate the British monarchy, just like the founding fathers. NI protestants keep losing.

no thats an actual thing

They're Presbyterians who all hosed off when they were expected to join the church of england, and suddenly realised the consequences of being unpopular in their stolen home and unprotected by the crown. Important to remember that genocide was the default response of any english monarch to the smallest possible difference in religious opinion, and there's a few hundred years when the monarchy keeps changing religion. The history of Ulster is a long, long dialectic of displacement and violence. Everyone gets a turn.

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 08:10 on Apr 8, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Father O'prah giving a last sermon in the homeland; "And youse get a diaspora, and youse get a diaspora, and youse get a diaspora!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah the solution to this is definitely more cops. How long before they're trying asbo 2. Lol it explicitly states teens hanging around in streets is antisocial behaviour

https://twitter.com/NickTorfaen/status/1380055373516828682?s=19

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Whatever happened to ASBO 1s? Never hear about them anymore

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Source4Leko posted:

I would tell you all about it if I could. I'm living way out in the country, not very far from the border. I can only tell you what I've heard on the radio and it's the usual tit-for-tat nonsense of Arlene's whataboutism. I know as much about what's happening as the rest of you do, sorry.

I can tell you the general mood of everyone though. We are hosed.

The DUP has spent so much time trying to maintain a status quo that they never thought what would happen if the gravy train stopped and Britain suddenly abandoned them. They have been living in a fantasy world for quite some time. NI cannot survive on it's own and the Republic doesn't want the burden either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Source4Leko posted:

this isn't helpful at all but the replies are very funny imo

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1379926602914656260?s=20

some hihglights

https://twitter.com/GloucesterRon/status/1379928859668275200?s=20
https://twitter.com/henrykue/status/1379940992225320962?s=20

Jose has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Apr 8, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/LittlShyningMan/status/1380091548919083008?s=19

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/CatharineHoey/status/1379902810620317696

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hate her. like so many other ghouls in the PLP who are/were complete shitters and forced ahead of the candidates CLPs wanted under blair

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JACOBCROSSlNG/status/1379937509887471621?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

https://twitter.com/PaulBennison/status/1379920690879602692