Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Splicer posted:

D&D 5e the game recently gained an optional rule to remove species fixed ability score assignments, thereby technically making it the least mechanically racist version of the D&D system.

I'm not sure how saying that dwarves are generally stronger than elves when they are literally different species was racist, but :shrug: I'll make a dexdwarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

One of my players used Heat Metal to kill an arrogant baron by melting all of the gold chains he had around his neck. Gave him the old Crassus treatment

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Luceo posted:

I'm not sure how saying that dwarves are generally stronger than elves when they are literally different species was racist, but :shrug: I'll make a dexdwarf
It's more that half orcs can't have starting intelligence as high as elves, especially under the point-buy system. Which implies that half orcs are 'naturally' less intelligent, which is a problem given the amount of PoC pointing out both Blizzard and Wizards drawing on African, tribal and First Nations-like imagery regarding orc societies.

Also that they literally made the black elves generally evil.

The poster is correct though in that it's much less racist than 2nd & 3rd ed straight up giving negative modifiers to certain races.

There's also the monoculture problem of assuming that every elf is proficient with certain weapons and speaks elvish, or that every dwarf has stonecunning and tool prodiciencies.

There was an interesting system proposed which was a separation of race traits (innate bonuses and abilities like darkvision) and upbringing (languages, proficiencies and background), so you could choose to be a tiefling raised by elves etc.

But that wouldn't really have solved the issue above, so they published it in Tashas as "change anything you want, be a 4ft halfling who's stronger than an 7ft orc, just please stop shouting at us on twitter" and ended up getting way more people shouting at them on twitter.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 7, 2021

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I love Heat Metal and it is indeed powerful, but of course at the expense of the theoretical 9th level slot, then at 17th level you better have a way to negate disadvantage and concentration check the caster, preferably multiple times.

Also to keep it going for 5-10 minutes it takes to doff armor would mean spending 5-10 spell slots, so there really is no point in attempting to doff. I mean, the target is likely a pile of ashes before even 1 minute is up, 90d8 and all, but anything but removing the armor is probably a better plan.

Great spell and hard to counter but there are still a few asterisk to its use.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There was an interesting system proposed which was a separation of race traits (innate bonuses and abilities like darkvision) and upbringing (languages, proficiencies and background), so you could choose to be a tiefling raised by elves etc.

The problem with this is if it kept stat caps it would just change the structure from "Your species is stupid" to "Your culture is stupid."

A weird example of old D&D racism was in an art guide for 3.x where they said to draw humans of every racial variety, but dwarves have one: Dwarf. Obviously based on Tordek we know what that racial variety actually was, but it was interesting sign of only halting growth at the time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

theironjef posted:

The problem with this is if it kept stat caps it would just change the structure from "Your species is stupid" to "Your culture is stupid."

A weird example of old D&D racism was in an art guide for 3.x where they said to draw humans of every racial variety, but dwarves have one: Dwarf. Obviously based on Tordek we know what that racial variety actually was, but it was interesting sign of only halting growth at the time.

There are multiple kinds of dwarf, but those ones are "subraces"

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Enjoy posted:

Satan Has His Miracles
“We are in error if we regard as miraculous, works which are used for any other purpose than to magnify the name of God” - John Calvin

The World
In this year, the year of our Lord Sixteen Hundred and Thirty, war rages. Germany is burning, with protestant princes and Catholic kings ruthlessly slaughtering their religious enemies, and sometimes turning on each other to settle old scores. Spain and France pour men and gold into the furnace, neither willing to let the other reign over the ashes. Dutch republicans struggle for independence from the Habsburg crown. Opportunistic leaders across Europe circle like vultures.

Magic
By the grace of God, magic runs in the veins of some gifted individuals. This is a rare talent. Modern accounts, and Roman census data, both show the magical Spark to occur once per 10,000 individuals. Even then, powerful spellcasters are rare. There are spellcasters from every nation and every race, but how their society trains them marks them apart.

Catholic nations, such as France and Spain, and the Mussulmen of Turkey, tend to have powerful kings who can serve as patrons for the magical arts. Even the most humble peasant with the Spark, whether human or otherwise, will be whisked away to be clothed in silken robes and taught to read from gold-trimmed manuscripts. The Italian universities are famous for their genius Wizards who become advisors to the Catholic kings, but also for mad Artificers dabbling in golemcraft and siege weaponry. Other spellcasters learn their art in strict Jesuit schools, ancient monasteries and secluded abbeys, and become earnest Clerics and fiery Paladins.

Protestant nations, such as England, Germany and Holland, have recently been in the grips of religious reformation – the doctrines of Calvin and Luther, themselves Clerics dissatisfied with the operation of the Catholic Church. Protestants reject what they see as the decadence of Catholicism, with its extravagant churches and corrupt priests, and this attitude has extended to their education of spellcasters. Protestant children with the Spark are often sent to austere halls of learning, becoming politically influential Wizards, Artificers with interest in commerce, or Bards with a flair for intrigue.

Superstitious rumours abound across Europe of unruly children fleeing Christian society, who are taken in by covens of witches where they are taught darker arts, becoming murderous Warlocks and hedonistic Sorcerers. The Papal Inquisition seems more focused on their protestant adversaries, however, and the dreadful tales are only told at the less scrupulous coffee houses.

In the periphery of the great empires, rural poverty and isolation precludes formal education. In Ireland, Poland, and Russia there are said to be traditions of roaming Druids who combine Christian beliefs with methods of elven magic which heal the earth. In gnomish villages across Europe, those lucky to be born in the caul battle witches under the light of the Moon, using sorghum whips as magical focuses. And in the savage forests of Sweden, the woodsmen bless the Lord when an orcish Ranger saves their village from a marauding werewolf.

Knowledge of magic outside Europe is hard to come by, but missionaries to Africa and the Americas, and Portuguese merchants from far Nippon, say miracles are worked even in those benighted lands.

The Party
Our story begins in a tavern in Amsterdam. The party has sat at a table together to discuss an item of news. Fortunately, all those present speak English. The backstories of the characters should explain this. Some examples:

An Irish mercenary, recently paid-off from their company.
A minor English noble, hoping to join the infamous Teutonic Knights.
A sailor turned pirate, fresh from attacking shipping in the Baltic.
A wealthy merchant with connections across Europe.
A Scottish Catholic, self-exiled after the fall of the Stuarts.
A spy from the court of a king, looking for informants.
An accountant investigating insurance fraud for a London company.

I'd buy this setting in a heartbeat if it were on Itch.

Luceo posted:

Bioessentialism and monoculturism are both bad and racist. The former is built on the concept of "Race Science", which was ridiculously racist and was used to justify everything from slavery to genocide. Thomas Jefferson used it/invented it to reconcile his love of owning people with his faith.

"But it's a different species!" just reeks of weak apologetics, especially considering that these different species are often based on extant marginalized cultures.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 7, 2021

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ran an OSR one shot adventure using 5e, The Waking of Willowby Hall (link), and boy howdy it went well. The published hardcover adventures are real turds in that not only is most of the content just okay at best, but it's actively unwieldy and hard to run by the book.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's also the monoculture problem of assuming that every elf is proficient with certain weapons and speaks elvish, or that every dwarf has stonecunning and tool prodiciencies.

I feel like, in addition to this, there are sun, moon, star, wood, light, dark, stone, desert, winged, sky, seasonal, etc. elves, and then there's like, 'orcs'.

If the amount of effort that went into making new elves went into writing a diverse and well-realized orc society, it'd be a lot less egregious.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Hey now, there's also small orcs (goblins), normie orcs (half-orcs), dog orcs (kobolds), pasta orcs (italians)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GreenMetalSun posted:

I feel like, in addition to this, there are sun, moon, star, wood, light, dark, stone, desert, winged, sky, seasonal, etc. elves, and then there's like, 'orcs'.
Blizzard are less guilty of this since WoW recontextualises the orcs and 'monster' races as just trying to get by, and has removed (all? most?) of the restrictions on which races can do the 'intellect' roles.

The important think to remember about the word 'racist' is that it doesn't just apply to a nazi screaming in the face of a black person, it also applies to a lesser extent to amateur race scientists and oxbridge entry selection committees who can look at a less than 10% diverse cohort and think 'this is fine.'

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Warhammer 40k has the best Orks

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Devorum posted:

"But it's a different species!" just reeks of weak apologetics, especially considering that these different species are often based on extant marginalized cultures.

I dunno, I can kind of see where that comes from just because when you have tieflings who have literal magic powers due to their origins and various people who have different eyes giving them dark vision and such, so it's not a terrible stretch to think one might be stronger or more magical than the other, but it still definitely reeks of some real poisonous poo poo and I wouldn't be sad to see it go. I just don't think people are speaking in bad faith when their kind of role-playing fantasy involves nonhumans having inherent abilities that set them apart from humans.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

Also considering most humanoid races in D&D can interbreed they actually are not a different species

Edit: thinking about this a little more, that means that the people in every official D&D setting have some weird hang ups about eugenics and race mixing. "half races" in D&D are usually characterized as outsiders and rare. Despite that fact that these different races could co-mingle and create large populations of half-orc or half-elves they never do. They always stick to their own kind in official lore

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 7, 2021

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Blizzard are less guilty of this since WoW recontextualises the orcs and 'monster' races as just trying to get by, and has removed (all? most?) of the restrictions on which races can do the 'intellect' roles.

The important think to remember about the word 'racist' is that it doesn't just apply to a nazi screaming in the face of a black person, it also applies to a lesser extent to amateur race scientists and oxbridge entry selection committees who can look at a less than 10% diverse cohort and think 'this is fine.'

It's a little different in WoW, because 'Intellect' actually doesn't mean anything other than that you're a mana-using class, and also, they standardized the base attributes across race. Intellect doesn't reflect how intelligent you are, and instead is just the 'magic powers scaling attribute'. Depending on your class it reflects wizard training/strength of will/devotion to the Light/kung fu/the strength of your demonic pacts/attunement to the planet/etc.

I'm lightly on the side of, 'An earth elemental being stronger than a halfling on average is not nazi eugenics, actually', but holy poo poo, 'some races are just naturally more intelligent/others have intelligence penalties' just doesn't look good no matter how you try to spin it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm lightly on the side of, 'An earth elemental being stronger than a halfling on average is not nazi eugenics, actually', but holy poo poo, 'some races are just naturally more intelligent/others have intelligence penalties' just doesn't look good no matter how you try to spin it.

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you here. My thing, though, is the PCs aren't average people, and Swolebo shouldn't be mechanically penalized because he's a halfling.

But also, the biological determinism stuff is just one piece of D&D's racist baggage. The game is also suffused with Orientalist tropes, and its classic gameplay mode--go to the "savage" frontier, kill the locals, take their treasures, eventually establish your stronghold--is straight up Colonialism.

That said, I don't think playing Keep on the Borderlands or including the Red Wizards of Thay or even Drow as villains in a campaign is itself a racist act. I don't think those things perpetuate a system of injustice. But one shouldn't ignore the game's racist baggage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like to turn the tropes of D&D on its head. I once ran a campaign where a vanguard party of anarchist wizards were trying to overthrow feudalism by teaching all of the peasants magic

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

That said, I don't think playing Keep on the Borderlands or including the Red Wizards of Thay or even Drow as villains in a campaign is itself a racist act. I don't think those things perpetuate a system of injustice. But one shouldn't ignore the game's racist baggage.
I guess that's why I tend to argue that the game isn't perfect, it's just better than it used to be. Drow used to be evil just because they were Drow - I'm pretty sure that in older editions you couldn't be good aligned as a drow without the DM house ruling it.

Since 3rd ed you've had more of the idea that most of them are slaves to a matriarchal elite of Lolth worshippers, and it's the elites who run the society that are bad. Even that is being broken down a bit more, though I'm not too familiar with 5e drow lore.

GreenMetalSun posted:

It's a little different in WoW, because 'Intellect' actually doesn't mean anything other than that you're a mana-using class, and also, they standardized the base attributes across race. Intellect doesn't reflect how intelligent you are, and instead is just the 'magic powers scaling attribute'. Depending on your class it reflects wizard training/strength of will/devotion to the Light/kung fu/the strength of your demonic pacts/attunement to the planet/etc.
In classic / vanilla there were limits on which races could take certain classes, and coincidentally orcs and trolls weren't allowed mage, only shaman. It's especially weird where the trolls have jamaican accents and come from the islands off the coast of the orc lands.

Also where the trolls are portrayed as intelligent it's generally cunning and trickery If you go back to the RTS days the orcs generally are portrayed as dumb but strong.

I get your point about how INT works as a mechanic, but they did choose to call that stat intelligence, rather than arcane or mental or whatever, and then deny the classes that use it to the orcs.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 7, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I guess that's why I tend to argue that the game isn't perfect, it's just better than it used to be. Drow used to be evil just because they were Drow - I'm pretty sure that in older editions you couldn't be good aligned as a drow without the DM house ruling it.

In older editions Drow were not playable at all

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Rutibex posted:

In older editions Drow were not playable at all

First playable Drow were in Unearthed Arcana in 1985.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In classic / vanilla there were limits on which races could take certain classes, and coincidentally orcs and trolls weren't allowed mage, only shaman. It's especially weird where the trolls have jamaican accents and come from the islands off the coast of the orc lands.

Also where the trolls are portrayed as intelligent it's generally cunning and trickery If you go back to the RTS days the orcs generally are portrayed as dumb but strong.

I get your point about how INT works as a mechanic, but they did choose to call that stat intelligence, rather than arcane or mental or whatever, and then deny the classes that use it to the orcs.

Orcs had three INT-using classes in Vanilla, Hunter, Shaman, and Warlock. Trolls had Priests, Mages, Hunters, and Shamans.

It's true that orcs couldn't be mages, not because they were too dumb, but because they had collectively rejected arcane magic as a culture. On their homeworld, they were (at one point) enslaved by an Empire (Highmaul) whose rulership caste were mages. So they associated arcane magic with imperialist colonizers, and the 'magic-using' component of their society were shamans.

...so on one hand, it comes down to, 'Well, we wrote a whole history about why they can't be mages!', but also it does a bit better than, 'Welp, they're stupid.'

As a note, in Vanilla, the only playable elves also could not be mages, for almost literally the exact same reason. The 'magic-using' component of their society was druids.

For a while, WoW was trying to be like, 'arcane magic is inherently corrupting', but backed off that plot point in recent content.

Also true that they could have called your stats something like, 'Class Prowess' and 'Toughness' and been done with it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

theironjef posted:

First playable Drow were in Unearthed Arcana in 1985.

Oh its been a long times since I cracked the book open, I must have forgotten! I looked it up and it turns out that Drow have never been mandatory evil. Though there are level caps based on gender :v:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's interesting about the elves / orcs and magic. Warcraft has (at least since WOW) had a more nuanced take on orcs than most D&D / fantasy settings.

I guess a big part of it is the game's general approach to enemies, especially with orcs and the general approach of 'they're savages so it's ok to clear them out if they're causing problems for nearby human villages.' Because of the huge chunk of the rules being based around combat there needs to be enemies that can be killed without the player facing a huge moral crisis every time.

But the problem with this is well represented by what happened to PoCGamer and his attempt to contextualise the two races as more than savages, with complex interplay of cultures and beliefs and needs. And the mostly white publishers and editors of Candlekeep ripped it all out without consulting him, reducing it back to 'the savages are fighting again, pick one to do a genocide on.'

It's like they're saying 'It's ok to kill them because they're savages,' but when you try to set them up as more than savages the pushback is 'but then who can be the baddies we get to kill?'

And yes, 40k has the best Orks because they are space cockneys.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 7, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rutibex posted:

Also considering most humanoid races in D&D can interbreed they actually are not a different species

Edit: thinking about this a little more, that means that the people in every official D&D setting have some weird hang ups about eugenics and race mixing. "half races" in D&D are usually characterized as outsiders and rare. Despite that fact that these different races could co-mingle and create large populations of half-orc or half-elves they never do. They always stick to their own kind in official lore

Everyone's a half human but there aren't ever, like half dwarves/half halfling people or whatever.

Presumably humans have the magical power to gently caress and reproduce with *everything*, which clearly establishes 5e as a fantasy game.

That said I think it's legitimate to have a lot of racism in the game *settings*, as distinct from the *rules*. After all the settings we play in reflect our world and racism exists in reality so why wouldn't it exist elsewhere?. Saying that in the Forgotten Realms miscegenation is viewed with bias and suspicion is one thing; a rule saying "half orcs have a penalty to intelligence" is quite another.

edit: I recently started toying with the idea of adapting "Ruins of Adventure," the old Pool of Radiance module, for 5th edition, and ran into this issue in a big way. The whole conceit is that the "civilized races" are "retaking" the ruined city from the "monstrous hordes" of kobolds, orcs, hobgoblins, gnolls, etc. Who the hell is the city council to decide which races count as "fantasy white" ? They aren't even elected office holders! They're just descendants of the prior council!

On the one hand, there's just a racist viewpoint inherent in the framing of the original module. On the other, that racist framing is "realistic" given how power and privilege work in the real world; viewed that way, the module has potential as a critique of privileged monopolies of force . The new colonialists have hired you to evict a whole city. . .

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 7, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've been reading through Tomb of Annihilation, and while I love the general idea of the campaign/sandbox, I can't get past the regressive nature of the setting. Is there any way to run ToA without including those problematic elements?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Just make everyone in chult helpless whiteys

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The whole conceit is that the "civilized races" are "retaking" the ruined city from the "monstrous hordes" of kobolds, orcs, hobgoblins, gnolls, etc. Who the hell is the city council to decide which races count as "fantasy white" ? They aren't even elected office holders! They're just descendants of the prior council!
Perhaps they could simply start building potion shops and luxury hovels until the orcs and goblinoids choose to move to a cheaper area :irony:

Everyone's a half human but there aren't ever, like half dwarves/half halfling people or whatever.

Presumably humans have the magical power to gently caress and reproduce with *everything*, which clearly establishes 5e as a fantasy game.
I don't know if it's in Tasha's or not, but there's a new 'custom race' option in D&D Beyond which you could probably use to fulfil your tiefling/aarakocra plans.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I thought halflings were supposed to be some kind of melange of the shorty races

At the very least you have stout halflings, which have Dwarven blood

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Ignite Memories posted:

Just make everyone in chult helpless whiteys

Honestly my first thought (and this is probably the most inelegant, brute force way to deal with it) is to just remove wholesale the entire idea of a native Chultan civilization from the continent. The continent does not have a native humanoid population - everyone there originally came from somewhere else in the Realms. Any ancient ruins are reminders of a long departed civilization or were built by other visitors in days long past. I don't know, something along those lines, but even there I feel like something is wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Perhaps they could simply start building potion shops and luxury hovels until the orcs and goblinoids choose to move to a cheaper area :irony:

The module literally has a potion vendor and a couple other shops placed in the starting 1st level combat "slums" zone

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There also.used to be tallfellow halflings, which were elf-halfling hybrids

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"We call it 'Adventurification'!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The module literally has a potion vendor and a couple other shops placed in the starting 1st level combat "slums" zone
Any artisanal cereal bars?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io4v_-agq-Y

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Mongrelfolk

quote:

Mongrelmen were known to contain pieces from many others species, including dwarves, elves, and humans, goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears, as well as orcs and ogres. Even stranger possibilities included creatures like bullywugs, crabmen, lizardfolk, gnolls, minotaurs, and even satyrs. However, mongrelfolk could appear to be mildly unusual members of other races by hiding their more outlandish features

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

:catstare:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It's supposed to be just "wizard did it" stuff, but they're from the AD&D days and that means Gygax was aware of them and under no circumstances is that guy to receive the benefit of the doubt.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought halflings were supposed to be some kind of melange of the shorty races

At the very least you have stout halflings, which have Dwarven blood
No that's gully dwarves. Which are very on topic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

oh god dammit

welp, that's going onto the pile. "They call us Mongrelfolk, but we are just a commune of people who love each other!"

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hello there! For a level three party, have you typically gone for merely giving them the starting equipment (mostly the gold value I am thinking of) or have you generally been more generous toward them? I admit the starting equipment feels a little on the low side going by my gut feeling, but I am not sure what would be a balanced/solid amount above it to give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Start em out broke. Like, one dark sun campaign I ran in high school, I started everyone enslaved. First mission was breaking free. They got what they found.