Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
What's maddening of course is that if you go to the silver abd golden age you can totally see how tragic heroes can br while still being incredibly heroic. The Thing grapples with his appearance, Spiderman is nuerotic mess because being a hero and doing the right thing constantly hurts people he loves (and so does inaction) Doctor Midnight is blind except in pitch blackness.
But yeah I don't think it's your players loving with you, look at how many folks are always orphans and exiles with tragic backstories in d&d style games. Hell the last time I played d&d as a player in a regular game people reacted to my well adjusted paladin with a good home and family life who just wants to make the world better as a genre deconstruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I think there are two main issues with superhero RPGs. The first is that you've got a table with 1 GM and two to N characters who are Main Protagonists when the superhero genre is about having 1 Main Protagonist (which would be whoever's name is on the cover of the comic book). Sure, crossovers can happen and maybe someone has a prominent sidekick but if you're reading a Batman comic, he isn't sharing equal page time with Aquaman or whoever.

The second issue is simply scope. A lot of superheroes tend to have a limited scope as to their responsibilities. Let's use the MCU for this. All the Netflix heroes (Luke Cage, Daredevil, etc) are mostly concerned about their neighborhood or maybe the whole city they live in, they're street level heroes. Spiderman usually falls into this area as well. Then you can go above that to international stuff. Iron Man (at the start, anyways) is worried about international crises that might take out a whole city but he's not sweating it if Queens or Hell's Kitchen has some mobsters running around. The next step up is global crises where Nick Fury, most of the Avengers, SHIELD and others start worrying about the fate of the entire planet. And then even above that you've got intergalactic/interdimensional poo poo that worries people like Thor or Dr. Strange.

The second issue becomes a big problem when you've got a street level PC palling around with an interdimensional PC and the GM is trying to introduce plots that both will care about. That's hard. Thor doesn't care if MJ gets kidnapped by one of Spiderman's enemies because he has much, much bigger poo poo to worry about but she's Spiderman's whole world so he's gonna concentrate solely on that. And the stuff that does rustle Thor's jimmies is going to shoot a multi-colored laser beam at Spiderman and turn him to dust unless the rules system is very forgiving to the web slinger. Even if you do manage to have all your players create heroes who inhabit the same scope, you run into the first issue again.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I think there are two main issues with superhero RPGs. The first is that you've got a table with 1 GM and two to N characters who are Main Protagonists when the superhero genre is about having 1 Main Protagonist (which would be whoever's name is on the cover of the comic book). Sure, crossovers can happen and maybe someone has a prominent sidekick but if you're reading a Batman comic, he isn't sharing equal page time with Aquaman or whoever.

The second issue is simply scope. A lot of superheroes tend to have a limited scope as to their responsibilities. Let's use the MCU for this. All the Netflix heroes (Luke Cage, Daredevil, etc) are mostly concerned about their neighborhood or maybe the whole city they live in, they're street level heroes. Spiderman usually falls into this area as well. Then you can go above that to international stuff. Iron Man (at the start, anyways) is worried about international crises that might take out a whole city but he's not sweating it if Queens or Hell's Kitchen has some mobsters running around. The next step up is global crises where Nick Fury, most of the Avengers, SHIELD and others start worrying about the fate of the entire planet. And then even above that you've got intergalactic/interdimensional poo poo that worries people like Thor or Dr. Strange.

The second issue becomes a big problem when you've got a street level PC palling around with an interdimensional PC and the GM is trying to introduce plots that both will care about. That's hard. Thor doesn't care if MJ gets kidnapped by one of Spiderman's enemies because he has much, much bigger poo poo to worry about but she's Spiderman's whole world so he's gonna concentrate solely on that. And the stuff that does rustle Thor's jimmies is going to shoot a multi-colored laser beam at Spiderman and turn him to dust unless the rules system is very forgiving to the web slinger. Even if you do manage to have all your players create heroes who inhabit the same scope, you run into the first issue again.

Except all that stuff happens all the time. Thor (Jane Foster) was a regular recurring character in Squirrel Girl, helping to rescue her from Kraven and stuff. Aunt May was a herald of Galactus. Silver Surfer dates. Batman is a member of the Justice League, he just prefers to tool darkly around Gotham. Wolverine is on every team.

Generally the only time and place you actually see any of that "Adam Warlock isn't going to help Moon Knight that's crazy" sort of stuff is in theorycrafting nerd discussion and more specifically when people are talking about RPGs. Just set it aside, you'll be happier.

It's why my favorite supers RPGs are ones where power level isn't really a thing. Sentinels is the one I'm using these days, and I'd happily build Silver Surfer with the exact same tools and final numbers as I'd build Punisher. Sure they're on vastly different power scales, but if the story dictates it, they're on the exact same narrative scale, and that's what the mechanics represent.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 7, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Agent Rush posted:

:ohdear:

Come to think of it, I've read a few superhero games like Masks but I've never had the chance to play a superhero game even though I'd really like to.

I've only gotten to take part in one so far. Supers Revised back in early college. Had a superscientist working as other supers' Q (Bond, not conspiracy) who went into the field after criminals got his tech, a Secret Service agent capable of self-duplication locked in a feud with reanimated Lee Harvey Oswald, a psychic who got roped into the whole thing as collateral, and edit: loser teen vampire hero, because Twilight was still a thing then. Yeah, kinda wacky tone. Everyone got a single-session solo intro, we got as far as one or two team missions before irreconcilable group differences split it apart.
Still probably my most formative RPG experience - one extended dialogue between party members over how far we could really push others to sacrifice for our own causes had sufficient bleed that I had to walk away post-session and reevaluate where my actual life was going. For the better, I think. Been chasing that level of bleed in a game for a long time and never came close again.

Design sentiments offered so far have been pretty accurate, just a little play experience.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 7, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BlackIronHeart posted:

This feels a lot like you're talking about your tastes in comics as truisms of the genre. The JSA has been around almost as long as Superman, the highest grossing Superhero movies are about teams, and feature a cast of heroes ranging from street level teen, king of an advanced technostate, and a multiverse spanning wizard.
Like you're right the group does need to make sure everyone is signing on for the same scope, but to say "gosh Spider-Man and Thor could never team up," is just silly. Considering they've literally done it multiple time, in their solo titles, in Spider-Man Team ups (a comic devoted to pairing Pete with various other heroes of different tiers) and in the teams they're both a part of like the Avengers.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 7, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the superhero genre is a lot like most fiction, in that it's not actually about the trappings and mcguffins of the genre, it's just stories, for the most part.

The core of superhero-ness IMO are a handful of key themes, some already mentioned: "with great power comes great responsibility;" what happens when a tiny, completely randomly chosen minority has the power to rule or destroy normal people; what if you were so different from your family and friends that they started to fear you, and reasonably so.

Then, there's a bunch of stuff that isn't really superhero-genre specific, it's just stories. "What if really different people were friends," "what if it was up to you to stop something really bad from happening," "what if you were really popular but didn't want to be," "cops are bad," "cops are good," "racism: let's deconstruct it in a format that racists might not realize is about them," etc. I read superhero comics my entire childhood and much of my young adulthood and eventually I moved on, although I still enjoy some from time to time, because at some point I realized that the powers and the spectacle didn't really matter much. I get into good characters, and sometimes superhero genre produces good characters and then I'm into it, and I'll always check out some really great artwork, but I just don't give a poo poo any more about how strong the hulk is or how many swiss army knife bullshit gimmicks tony stark can pack into his skin-tight magic armor.

Lastly, superhero stuff was first and foremost a visual medium. There are text-only superhero books, but the vast, vast majority of superhero stuff has been done as comics, tv, and film; so, the artwork and costuming and visual spectacle has always been a big part of it. It can't be dismissed: a clash between flashy superpowered people makes for a great double-page spread or action-packed scene on the big screen.

Now, how to capture all that in an RPG? I dunno, but I think if you're focused on poo poo like hit points and skill checks, you're probably doing it wrong. Start with the themes and the characters (the personalities and backgrounds and motivations) and the feel that you want to evoke, work from there.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 7, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Libertad! posted:

So, I'm in the process of writing up a FATAL & Friends for Supers & Sorcery, that "5e medieval fantasy but superheroes!" thing. I am a sample size of one, so my question to you goons is what exactly would you want out of a tabletop superhero RPG? I know that 5e is a terrible fit regardless, but I want to make sure I can nail discussion of the genre conventions as well as the mechanics in terms of grading its emulation.

for what it's worth what I'd be looking for here is "superpowers" worth a drat

like, if it's Superheroes By Way of D&D Fifth Edition I would expect that you're not making an attack roll for d8+4 damage against a single target anymore. Wow me with something!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In addition to the various examples, the X-Men were explicitly a team book and were phenomenally successful. There was a point where Spider-Man's tag line was "the NON MUTANT super hero!"

Now you would probably be well served to have some kind of through-line for all of your characters if you have an adventuring party kind of situation. But it also strikes me that superhero RPGs would be a great way for troupe style play, where there's a couple of different characters each PC has and they can come together for different situations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

theironjef posted:

Consistently the hardest problem I have with getting people into a supers game is that something seems to be broken in a lot of my friends regarding their ability to just earnestly make a superhero. You know, costume, powers, codename that references those powers. Can be a little silly, no problem. But every time it's like "Make a regular superhero" "I made an angry broken man with no powers and a terrible disease." "Make a superhero without deconstructing the genre." "I made the ubermensch but he's a terrible goblin it turns out." "Make a guy named [something] lad, where something is the kind of powers he has." I made Gangrene Lad, he died of gangrene some time ago."

Maybe they're just loving with me, who knows.

I'd probably just have them hit random page on the Public Domain Superheroes wiki about a dozen times each and have them pick the one they find most interesting, that way they have a name and basic theme/aesthetic sorted out(and they'll probably get some laughs out of some of the more ridiculous things on there)

As for avoiding stupid edgy crap, just tell them to come up with stuff as if they were designing characters for a DCAU series so something that would be acceptable on a kid's show

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

gradenko_2000 posted:

for what it's worth what I'd be looking for here is "superpowers" worth a drat

like, if it's Superheroes By Way of D&D Fifth Edition I would expect that you're not making an attack roll for d8+4 damage against a single target anymore. Wow me with something!
Captain DOAM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like a superhero RPG may end up indistinguishable from Nextwave.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like a superhero RPG may end up indistinguishable from Nextwave.
As intended in the good Lord's plan.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah that seems like best-case scenario.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That seems like design goal.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Superhero game chat is funny to me because I was in sixth grade when I first played Champions and it left me with Hero System brain damage. I watch Avengers and I catch myself thinking "that was a hell of an energy blast" or "wow, that scepter is a focus for a whole multipower." When I strip away all the dross, I have to agree that it's more like a miniatures game for superhero combat than a role-playing game. It got two specific things right, though. One, character creation included coloring in your superhero's costume. Two, the rules for knockback made combat feel superheroic. You hit someone with a strong attack, that someone is probably going flying through the air, often into a wall.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everyone gets brain damaged by the first system they play. Ask me which Vampire clans the X-Men belong to.

I played in a M&M game that was like Nextwave in a bad way. Meaning that the setting was wacky, but the GM's physics-nerdery resulted in ultraviolence, and one player was a huge rear end in a top hat.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

Everyone gets brain damaged by the first system they play. Ask me which Vampire clans the X-Men belong to.

I played in a M&M game that was like Nextwave in a bad way. Meaning that the setting was wacky, but the GM's physics-nerdery resulted in ultraviolence, and one player was a huge rear end in a top hat.

For me it was writing out Rifts country supplements before they actually happened for years. My Japan was so much better.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Halloween Jack posted:

but the GM's physics-nerdery resulted in ultraviolence

Godlike still has the best explanation for superhero physics: all "superpowers" are actually a psychic ability to rewrite local reality based on your own perception of your "powers," and since most people's mental conception of super-powers come from comic books, not an understanding of real physics, yeah, the super-strong lady can stop a truck with her bare hands despite it outweighing her by 10 to 1 and the invisible guy can still see despite his eyes not reflecting any light.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Leperflesh posted:

I think the superhero genre is a lot like most fiction, in that it's not actually about the trappings and mcguffins of the genre, it's just stories, for the most part.

The core of superhero-ness IMO are a handful of key themes, some already mentioned: "with great power comes great responsibility;" what happens when a tiny, completely randomly chosen minority has the power to rule or destroy normal people; what if you were so different from your family and friends that they started to fear you, and reasonably so.

Lastly, superhero stuff was first and foremost a visual medium. There are text-only superhero books, but the vast, vast majority of superhero stuff has been done as comics, tv, and film; so, the artwork and costuming and visual spectacle has always been a big part of it. It can't be dismissed: a clash between flashy superpowered people makes for a great double-page spread or action-packed scene on the big screen.

This is the tension that causes the major problem - the actual story against the strength of the character, both in the visual sense and in the power fantasy sense. Kids pretending to be Spiderman in the playground do not pretend to be torn apart by moral quandaries between their heroic duties and their ordinary lives. They pretend to climb walls, swing on webs and shoot bad guys with webs. They also do not think they might as well have a ray gun and a teleportation belt instead because that is basically a nonlethal ranged attack and fast aerial movement so it's the same.

And this can bleed through into comic books as well, usually when a popular character gets a series and then the authors can't fit them into stories - at least Zatanna and Joker had this problem, and Harley Quinn's been futzed with every which way to avoid it. In fact the shift towards edgy superheroes might be to do with wanting to bake the character's story conflict into the character more explicitly. In RPGs that's doubly the case because the players implicitly know that if they don't bake their trouble into their character, the GM will come up with it for them. (It's one of the reasons I think Masks is a neat system, because it forces the player to think about their character in those terms.)

The opposite side is the one that HERO System embodied, of trying to force character immersion through rules complexity, where you have to immerse yourself in the universe and your character's mindset because there's literally no way to comprehend the system or the character sheets if you don't. It's awkward but it's sad if it's missing. I remember that for a while the OSR-ish term for lampooning indie/Forge games was "a supers game with only one stat" - which I think was actually suggested by Ron Edwards at one point - because of the implied loss of IC thinking.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

Does it count if my "first system" was half a session of 3.5 and I promptly forgot 99% of it besides "jackass goliath warblade figured out speed combo bullshit"?
Of course then 5e got me and I do recognize the brain damage, correcting it is harder but I try...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GimpInBlack posted:

Godlike still has the best explanation for superhero physics: all "superpowers" are actually a psychic ability to rewrite local reality based on your own perception of your "powers," and since most people's mental conception of super-powers come from comic books, not an understanding of real physics, yeah, the super-strong lady can stop a truck with her bare hands despite it outweighing her by 10 to 1 and the invisible guy can still see despite his eyes not reflecting any light.
Godlike is weird and arbitrary with its physics. If a power's default cost would make it too good, they nerfed it by selectively applying physics. With Intangibility, unless you pay extra points, you can't breathe and you sink into the ground. Invisibility, by default, makes you go blind.

Godlike is also very realistic and deadly. That's fine for its WWII milieu but makes it hard to recommend as a generic superhero game. The GM chapter gives recommendations on building more powerful characters if you want a more "Four Colour" game, but that doesn't really work. Like, you can spend 200 character points making Golden Age Superman or 200 points making a super-scientist or precog who cannot hang on the battlefield with Golden Age Superman. The nature of how powers work in the setting also means that you can be able to fight tanks and planes, but be just as vulnerable as the average Joe to e.g. poison gas. (I've only skimmed Wild Talents, so I don't know how much it differs on that front. Maybe it builds in plot armor for "street-level" types.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

The opposite side is the one that HERO System embodied, of trying to force character immersion through rules complexity, where you have to immerse yourself in the universe and your character's mindset because there's literally no way to comprehend the system or the character sheets if you don't. It's awkward but it's sad if it's missing. I remember that for a while the OSR-ish term for lampooning indie/Forge games was "a supers game with only one stat" - which I think was actually suggested by Ron Edwards at one point - because of the implied loss of IC thinking.

I thought, "surely, the Lasers and Feelings hack Power and Responsibility must exist", and lo, the Internet did deliver.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Halloween Jack posted:

Godlike is weird and arbitrary with its physics. If a power's default cost would make it too good, they nerfed it by selectively applying physics. With Intangibility, unless you pay extra points, you can't breathe and you sink into the ground. Invisibility, by default, makes you go blind.

Godlike is also very realistic and deadly. That's fine for its WWII milieu but makes it hard to recommend as a generic superhero game. The GM chapter gives recommendations on building more powerful characters if you want a more "Four Colour" game, but that doesn't really work. Like, you can spend 200 character points making Golden Age Superman or 200 points making a super-scientist or precog who cannot hang on the battlefield with Golden Age Superman. The nature of how powers work in the setting also means that you can be able to fight tanks and planes, but be just as vulnerable as the average Joe to e.g. poison gas. (I've only skimmed Wild Talents, so I don't know how much it differs on that front. Maybe it builds in plot armor for "street-level" types.)

Huh, it's been ages since I read Godlike, guess I misremembered the extent to which it justified superhero physics. But yeah, definitely not recommending Godlike for generic supers, just specifically that it addressed the "well, ackshully, because of physics..." crap your GM got up to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh it does, it's just weird and inconsistent with how it applies it. That's mostly a consequence of having a standard formula for how much powers cost (Attacks/Defends/Robust/Noncombat Utility) and then nerfing the ones that are too good for their cost by selectively applying physics.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Godlike is also very realistic and deadly. That's fine for its WWII milieu but makes it hard to recommend as a generic superhero game. The GM chapter gives recommendations on building more powerful characters if you want a more "Four Colour" game, but that doesn't really work. [...] The nature of how powers work in the setting also means that you can be able to fight tanks and planes, but be just as vulnerable as the average Joe to e.g. poison gas. (I've only skimmed Wild Talents, so I don't know how much it differs on that front. Maybe it builds in plot armor for "street-level" types.)

Wild Talents is not less deadly than Godlike per se (I always make sure to specifically caveat "do not forget to take some kind of defense power" if I recommend WT to someone), but it does remove a lot of Godlike's limiters on superpowers (like, none of those gotchas on intangibility or invisibilty, and the Willpower struggle stuff that could just straight up turn off your powers is optional), so it allows for a more four-color experience if you build characters right and tweak the appropriate dials. Also, not taking place on a battlefield by default helps some.

edit: But now that I think about it some more, Godlike to WT is kind of apples and oranges, since Godlike is a specific setting with specifically tuned dials for its power range etc, whereas WT itself is a toolkit reverse-engineered out of Godlike to be a sort of superhero GURPS you can build a homebrew game out of-- there are several specific decisions you have to make about power caps, allowed types of powers, character point totals, realism levels (four-color vs grimdark axes), etc. and the book does discuss those.

Comparing Godlike to specific WT settings like Kerberos Club, Grim War or Progenitor is probably more on point, except pretty much nobody's read those I think!

That said...

Halloween Jack posted:

Like, you can spend 200 character points making Golden Age Superman or 200 points making a super-scientist or precog who cannot hang on the battlefield with Golden Age Superman.

This issue is definitely not fixed and is kind of a dealbreaker for me. The power-building system is cool and fun to mess around with and doesn't make my head hurt the way HERO does, but it still doesn't actually work in terms of outputting powers that are implicitly balanced against other powers of the same cost.

Basically, anything exotic or non-combat-focused is going to cost way more than a straightforward "it beats you up" effect: My group's first try at the system was a Read or Die inspired deal where everyone had 1 or a small suite of thematically related powers, and one character invested pretty much all its points into the ability to change the color and opacity of anything he could see, while another spent like 10% on a gun with ten hard dice worth of Stun and could sink the rest into a bunch of hyper-skills and -stats. I kind of don't see the point of going through the whole involved process of calculating how much powers are "worth" if it's not going to prevent that kind of wild disparity... and maybe that's just not possible if combat and non-combat effects are being compared like that.

That said, WT is the game with the infamous "here's how you turn the sun off" sidebar too.

edit:

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh it does, it's just weird and inconsistent with how it applies it. That's mostly a consequence of having a standard formula for how much powers cost (Attacks/Defends/Robust/Noncombat Utility) and then nerfing the ones that are too good for their cost by selectively applying physics.

Or, that. Yeah. Which is even more pronounced when the system stops putting its thumb on the scale!

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 7, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GimpInBlack posted:

I got that book at Origins one year and it seemed neat but I never played it. It came at a 4 for $20 booth and I got the BESM D20 Trigun book, Godlike, Red Dwarf, and Solid the D20 Blacksploitation Adventure

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Len posted:

I got that book at Origins one year and it seemed neat but I never played it. It came at a 4 for $20 booth and I got the BESM D20 Trigun book, Godlike, Red Dwarf, and Solid the D20 Blacksploitation Adventure

I did run the demo adventure, as I recall there's some breaks in the system with the different purchasable dice types and stacking multiple actions. The initiative system is also a bit weird by modern standards as it has selection and resolution in different phases.

Glazius posted:

I thought, "surely, the Lasers and Feelings hack Power and Responsibility must exist", and lo, the Internet did deliver.

There really should be a lasers and feelings hack called "low effort". You know, where the sides are Low (doing things in an underhanded and sneaky way) and Effort (doing things by actual hard work).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've spent the last two years begrudgingly coming around to the realization that supers are my RPG genre of choice as a GM.

I love kitchen sinks, and I hate running games in other people's IP. I got tired of explaining my Mass Effect / Rifts analogue to players and making a mess of it or whatever. With supers I can just say things like "your dad's robot factory has been attacked by the evil wizard cabal from a fractured timeline" and players just roll with it.

I agree that supers games that are too crunchy make for bad genre emulation. The Batman-on-Justice-League vs Batman-in-Gotham dichotomy has been done to death, but it holds.

A good supers game recognizes powers are of variable strength based on the narrative, not physics. Remember the time Cyclops had to shoot Wolverine in the butt to show him down because falling from 100 feet would kill Wolverine? Different writers, man.

Supers games are about stories.

Hostile V posted:

Have a concept of scope and scale not be a universal system to play every sort of hero. For the love of god if you're gonna do a hero thing pick a type of hero setting, stick to it and tailor the mechanics and powers to that setting, which should be way more specific than just "comic books the RPG".

Can you expand on this, please? I think I agree with you, because "comics" is a broad medium, but there have been good systems that cover "all of Marvel" or somesuch and that's pretty broad. I wouldn't use, say, MHR to raround to Walking Dead, but it can probably do anything in the 616.

Parkreiner posted:

I'm always on the lookout for new superhero games that can satisfy my perhaps overly-picky standards, but so far the closest I've come are either too abstract to properly scratch my superfight itch (Worlds in Peril) and/or are games with superheroes in them, but not really *about* the superhero genre per se (Smallville/Cortex+). The search continues...

Emphasis mine. Smallville is absolutely not about the superhero genre, it's totally a CW emulator. But how did you feel that MHR wasn't about the superhero genre?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

hyphz posted:

I did run the demo adventure, as I recall there's some breaks in the system with the different purchasable dice types and stacking multiple actions. The initiative system is also a bit weird by modern standards as it has selection and resolution in different phases.

Yeah, this is one of the wacky things about the One-Roll Engine that makes me want to kick the tires on some version of it, someday-- there's no initiative "roll" per se in combat, players declare their action in ascending order of, I think Sense ratings, the idea being that characters who are more perceptive and/or battle-hardened will be able to read and anticipate the actions of those who aren't as sharp (so a Sense 3 will declare and commit to their action(s) before a Sense 5 does).

And then once everyone has declared their action, everyone rolls simultaneously (so either have lots of d10s or be playing online), because in ORE a skill roll determines the success AND the speed of the action.

So you kind of have a nuanced and somewhat unpredictable flow of combat, where canny combatants have a tactical advantage, but whether or not they can execute those plans faster than their opponent is the decisive factor and not entirely under their control. Especially since your action can be cancelled if someone hits you before you act!

It seems like a useful and fun chaos but I haven't gotten to try it yet.

CitizenKeen posted:

Emphasis mine. Smallville is absolutely not about the superhero genre, it's totally a CW emulator. But how did you feel that MHR wasn't about the superhero genre?

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying was Cortex+Action, not Drama, right? (huh, thought I specified Drama in my post, must have edited it out) Either way, I never got around to playing it.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hyphz posted:

There really should be a lasers and feelings hack called "low effort". You know, where the sides are Low (doing things in an underhanded and sneaky way) and Effort (doing things by actual hard work).

That is really good, drat.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Parkreiner posted:

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying was Cortex+Action, not Drama, right? (huh, thought I specified Drama in my post, must have edited it out) Either way, I never got around to playing it.

Oh, yeah, that makes more sense. Yeah, MHR was Cortex+Heroic (which was different from Cortex+Drama or Cortex+Action). The system has been refined in Prime, but I thought it did a really solid job of emulating comics so I was confused.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 7, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

How well can superhero systems be adapted to... JJBA, OP or HxH type manga adventures?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mechanically speaking, probably pretty well. Indeed I remember while reading the F&F review of Godlike that if you made it somewhat harder to be (REALISTICALLY!) gibbed by random German artillery or randomly pro-German backstory, you didn't need to change anything about the powers beyond giving them music names and a little gloss.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When I was F&Fing Godlike, everyone kept talking about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but if this forum is any indication JJBA is more well known and discussed than Shakespeare or the Bible

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CitizenKeen posted:

Can you expand on this, please? I think I agree with you, because "comics" is a broad medium, but there have been good systems that cover "all of Marvel" or somesuch and that's pretty broad. I wouldn't use, say, MHR to raround to Walking Dead, but it can probably do anything in the 616.
Sure, I feel it's better to make a supers game that openly states tone and feel of the setting while also limiting the kind of powers/power origins to stuff that is appropriate. That helps get the players on board with the thrust of the kind of adventures they'll go on while also helping group cohesion and avoiding choice paralysis while helping them all be on pretty even footing. Like, for example: Mystery Men the RPG, you're all a bunch of quirky and weird street level heroes with some power squaring off against the odd forces of evil, or Kieron Gillen's Uber RPG where all powers stem from Nazi super science, inequality in powers is a thing in setting for players to be smart about and there's pretty high lethality. Narrowing scope keeps players interested in the world around them and makes their actions matter, and it also means that the designer doesn't have to give every sort of possible power lip service and rules so they can focus on polishing abilities that are appropriate and making them better mechanically and in game feel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean, Hunter x Hunter is already basically a point-buy superpower game, complete with classes/archetypes, just as-is in the fiction.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, Hunter x Hunter is already basically a point-buy superpower game, complete with classes/archetypes, just as-is in the fiction.

But would a just GM allow Bungee Gum shenanigans?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It is me, I am the shill for weeb systems, but double cross does superheroes real well if you're willing to do some refluffing for things that aren't innate powers/don't fit your thematics exactly. It also has mechanical support for your Aunt Mays and Lois Lanes (in fact, 'Lois' is the term for a character that you have a mechanically significant bond with).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was F&Fing Godlike, everyone kept talking about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but if this forum is any indication JJBA is more well known and discussed than Shakespeare or the Bible
It was mostly the specificity of a lot of the powers. You don't have "shadow control," you have "control over your shadow even if it has been projected by a searchlight to be a mile tall."

However you are probably right about the other point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
All the other threads feel too specific so I'll just ask here in the chat thread:

Looking for a game to buy my wife for her birthday (which is in September so I have plenty of time). She specifically asked for a complicated game involving cards. I know how much she loves really complex games like Gloomhaven, so simplicity is actually a point against her enjoyment. She seems really intent on it being mostly a card game and that leaves me kinda lost. I was looking at Arkham Horror, but I don't know about the whole LCG thing. It feels like it might be a consistent money sink instead of a game you buy and play for months on end before needing an expansion or anything like that. Maybe Gloomhaven spoiled me in that regard. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how LCGs work?

Any advice on this front? Sorting by weight on boardgamegeek just gets me games that only have one review so it hasn't been the most helpful.