Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

My second dose was yesterday so I feel ok going to Universal next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Omne posted:

Orange County announced today that once 50% of residents are vaccinated (estimated to be July 2021), they'll drop their mask mandate. I imagine WDW won't be far behind

This sounds like a terrible idea

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Tom Corless, winning as always

https://twitter.com/DisCounselor/status/1379470020430954500?s=20

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm not offended by trader sam I just assumed his bogo sale was over

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What if they moved the animatronic to Trader Sam's?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"Women being sold into sex slavery is totally awesome and integral to my enjoyment of a theme park ride" is such a loving insane thing to put out there as a hill to die on

how are these people's brains so broken lmao

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Omne posted:

Orange County announced today that once 50% of residents are vaccinated (estimated to be July 2021), they'll drop their mask mandate. I imagine WDW won't be far behind

herd immunity is estimated at 60%-80% last I looked so ofc the target is 50%

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

"Women being sold into sex slavery is totally awesome and integral to my enjoyment of a theme park ride" is such a loving insane thing to put out there as a hill to die on

how are these people's brains so broken lmao

I didn't have an issue with the auction any more than I had an issue with any other part of the ride. People sold others into slavery back then. It was bad. It's being done by bad guys doing bad things. It's portrayed as bad.

I get why they don't want to have it in the ride and a Disney ride doesn't have to be historically accurate, but the replacement is also pretty dumb. "Show'em yer flock" is rough writing at best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

People sold others into slavery back then.

but there was no slave auction scene in the ride

quote:

It was bad. It's being done by bad guys doing bad things. It's portrayed as bad.

it was portrayed as a gag to laugh at, not a teaching moment about how bad pirates really were. pirates were and are the protagonists of the ride and later movies. kids want to dress up as them and pretend to be them, it's much better to show them doing silly wholesome stuff with women pirates included than gritty scummy stuff just because it was realistic to history.

I can't believe this is still a thing years later  🙃

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/1379049047516925954

I'm the dogwhistling headline

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

but there was no slave auction scene in the ride

it was portrayed as a gag to laugh at, not a teaching moment about how bad pirates really were. pirates were and are the protagonists of the ride and later movies. kids want to dress up as them and pretend to be them, it's much better to show them doing silly wholesome stuff with women pirates included than gritty scummy stuff just because it was realistic to history.

I can't believe this is still a thing years later  🙃

This was the same argument that convinced me from being okay either way, to agreeing that the change is a good thing. The Disney portrayal of pirates is already cartoonish and far from “reality”, that including a sale of women is generally out of place in Disney.

That being said, Red as a pirate character is a great concept but was terribly executed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It's time to shut down Disney.

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1379504559366754309

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Best comment (don't read them)

quote:

And if you’re talking about dated stuff and things being offensive, who was the person giving the green light for these movies and attractions to be released that are supposedly, allegedly racist? Mr. Walt Disney himself. But they still call it Walt Disney World don’t they.

Who greenlit all those movies that these racist attractions are based on? That's right, Walt Disney! And nobody goes around saying Walt Disney was racist, do they??? Checkmate libs :shepface:

Lmao of course Tom Brady picked the Power and Control "bad guy" saber design

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Of course my treasonous quarterback chose the dark side

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The only reason I will condone shutting down Disney is so Tom Brady can never go again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Imagine not getting your boarding group called because the ride was shut down so Tom could take some pictures.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I wasn’t a fan of the auction scene. I like the idea of Redd as a pirate even if yeah, it was not well executed. And thank god they built new animatronics instead of, say, putting a screen there.

Oh god, imagine if there were a screen there

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The only problem I had with the revised scene is that it defies common sense. As a looter, why would you attend an auction when you could just take things? Then again, that's also true for the original scene, only replace "things" with "people."

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Imagine not getting your boarding group called because the ride was shut down so Tom could take some pictures.

They usually will do it before park opening.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

nbakyfan posted:

Super Bowl champion hours

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

The only problem I had with the revised scene is that it defies common sense. As a looter, why would you attend an auction when you could just take things? Then again, that's also true for the original scene, only replace "things" with "people."

Theoretically, you could make a profit selling slaves in the imaginary pirate world. Who the hell is like "yes, show me that hen, hell yeah, I bet her eggs are HUGE"

yall see the disneyland ride closed list yet :lol:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

nbakyfan posted:

I believe it was confirmed in an article about Tom's visit that this was the case.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
So that’s the Trader Sam bit that had DisTwitter a flutter today - I knew I missed something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've found the best way to enjoy theme parks is to not connect to people who love the stuffing out of them and use them as outlets for their manic episodes (so, most "Disney people"). It's nice to be able to say, "I remember when the park was open until midnight all summer" and not hear about which president of operations ended that policy despite all the blood sacrifices left on their doorstep.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

J33uk posted:

I believe it was confirmed in an article about Tom's visit that this was the case.

Well, I guess, imagine getting to be an Imperial CM on the ride berating Tom because you have to stay in character. The life...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like getting drunk as poo poo and then just doing whatever the heck I dang well want schedule wise. It’s more fun that way.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Craptacular! posted:

I've found the best way to enjoy theme parks is to not connect to people who love the stuffing out of them and use them as outlets for their manic episodes (so, most "Disney people"). It's nice to be able to say, "I remember when the park was open until midnight all summer" and not hear about which president of operations ended that policy despite all the blood sacrifices left on their doorstep.

Wow, that's...kind of offensive. On many levels.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rap sheet checks out

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Braksgirl posted:

Wow, that's...kind of offensive. On many levels.

Yeah but rather than call someone a chud for getting mad about Jungle Cruise, I'm going to guess that a lot of these people genuinely haven't recognized what's so offensive, because it's an original Disney long-runner, and many of these people care more about preserving the history of the park more than they care about the history of racism or other people's feelings. That isn't to say there aren't also chuds in the fandom, because there are, and they are some of the most devoted flat-earther types you've ever seen. That may just be because the parks are located in (formerly?) very red areas, I dunno, but I've never seen such skepticism in settled science in belief in dead-end theories like I have from some folks that I met through the park communities.

Let me clarify what I meant previous post: I've seen way too many disorders in the theme park crowd. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you or me for liking theme parks overall. Of course there's the people who think the closure of a favorite ride is an insult against them personally, but I had to leave one site that was used to be large and influential because their mods were tolerant of a popular poster's sympathies for pedos that would have gotten them banned on this site.

Disney's a bit like Sonic the Hedgehog: enjoyable on your own, or with the right group of friends, but gently caress most of the online fandom in general.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 7, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Disney is no different from any other fandom online, and attributing toxic fandom to mental disorders is bad dude

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

e: nvm

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

alg posted:

Disney is no different from any other fandom online, and attributing toxic fandom to mental disorders is bad dude

I had been taught that narcissism and pedophilia are disorders, I just didn't want to speak about it directly because I didn't want to drag drama from a long-dead forum into this thread. I didn't intend to slander anyone else on the message board that still has emotes that were used to needle people with Aspergers and Downs Syndrome back in the day. I have changed as much as anyone who has been here as long as you and I have.

I am done posting about this, and if I eat a probe or something so be it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Even when lots of unfortunate language (like the r-word) was frequently seen on this forum and other slurs were common, your posting would have been considered bad, guy.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
To, uh, change the subject..... Velocicoaster in June! Thats dope. I love that everyone is lauding Universal for building the ride so fast and crappy on Disney for taking its time with Guardians and Ratatouille....as if Universal isnt also responsible for goddamn Fast & Furious and Jimmy Fallon. The two most pointless rides in recent memory.

I like Disney and Universal. But im not going to crap on one just because the other recently built something dope.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

To, uh, change the subject..... Velocicoaster in June! Thats dope. I love that everyone is lauding Universal for building the ride so fast and crappy on Disney for taking its time with Guardians and Ratatouille....as if Universal isnt also responsible for goddamn Fast & Furious and Jimmy Fallon. The two most pointless rides in recent memory.

I like Disney and Universal. But im not going to crap on one just because the other recently built something dope.

I assume it's gonna be cool but themed coasters aren't my bag because I'm a giant sissy who flinches when she rides 7D.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I like the Fallon ride :shrug: F&F is worth riding once just to laugh at how bad it is.

Maybe I'm odd, but I don't really compare Universal and Disney to each other. Disney is sort of it's own thing, Universal is a premium theme park experience, like several steps up from my local SeaWorld or Six Flags.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Universal is THE only theme park chain that is comparable to Disney, though. No one else even comes close in level of theming and technically advanced attractions.

I still believe that Disney is still the top tier theme park experience, and is pretty much on its own in that category, and Universal is 2nd tier. If you pay attention to service, policies, upkeep, cleanliness, presentation, food quality, details, immersion, etc., Disney still outshines Universal by quite a bit. There are regional parks that do some of these things better, like Holiday World and Dollywood (from what I hear anyway).

A quick example that's easy to notice - pay attention to the ground at Disney vs. Universal. At Disney, the ground is almost always pristine, free of major cracks, etc. They power wash it every night. At Universal, the ground is always cracked and patched poorly, scuffed, covered with grime and rust stains, faded, etc. You might say "well it's just the ground", but the ground is 1/3rd of your field of vision most of the time and it adds up.

Another one is sightlines. Disney will almost never place anything without considering how it looks from every possible angle. The result is their parks look picturesque from almost anywhere. Universal gives zero fucks about sightlines and exposed infrastructure, so the parks look like a cluttered mess and you can frequently see backstage or exposed infrastructure.

Anyway, regarding Disney building slowly, they don't have to build fast, people will come anyway, so they don't, Universal doesn't have the same draw and has to keep adding new experiences.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

I like the Fallon ride :shrug: F&F is worth riding once just to laugh at how bad it is.

family
Family
Family!
FAMILY
FAMILY!!
FAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILYFAMILY

family

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Universal at its best (the HP worlds, Marvel island back when it was newer) competes pretty evenly with Disney but the majority of their parks are :effort: even the old rides at Disney have charm and legacy behind them, most of Universal’s other stuff is just forgettable aside from ET.

Halloween Horror Nights is great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bottom Liner posted:

Universal at its best (the HP worlds, Marvel island back when it was newer) competes pretty evenly with Disney but the majority of their parks are :effort: even the old rides at Disney have charm and legacy behind them, most of Universal’s other stuff is just forgettable aside from ET.

Halloween Horror Nights is great though.

Whoever designed ET was tripping balls.