Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Food Boner posted:

how long-lived do you all suppose this game is going to be? I picked it up but am new to switch so am playing some older titles first and have extremely limited time to play >1-2 games over a span of time. If I hold off for a while will online be dead in say 6 months?

It will still be wildly popular in 6 months. Monster Hunter is massive in Japan, and it will get a boost later this month when the additional content is released, and further boosts when the expansion is released and when it launches on PC, though I am not sure if there will be Switch/PC crossplay.

There is also nothing really big coming out for the Switch anytime soon. At least nothing that competes in the same Action RPG genre, or any other big AAA titles. The only thing I would worry about is newer players might bounce off it pretty hard because of the steeper learning curve.

This is cool and good and deserves to be at the top of the page more than my shitpost

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

DeathSandwich posted:

Back on topic: How are people liking wide GL in this game? It seems like Rise Wide plays like Long did in World insofar as you basically just use charged shelling. Since Crit and sharpness don't really factor, I'm guessing you just git the biggest raw damage wide lance and stack up Artillery/Load Shells?

As I understand it, shell damage is determined solely by the shell level and not the damage stat. I haven't been using wide at all because the wyrmstake doesn't do damage ticks and is made for stunning monsters, and I still have issues consistently staking the head

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only critique I'd offer is that there's probably no real need for Earplugs if you're playing insect glaive, since having all three buffs gives you Earplugs already. I'd also put Razor Sharp next to Protective Polish as another method of maintaining sharpness. Otherwise it's pretty good, yeah.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slowpoke! posted:

This is cool and good and deserves to be at the top of the page more than my shitpost

Yeah it should be in the drat OP. Here's some other resources I've collected, which should also be added:

This one is for Kamura points:

It's an alternative to the fishing method: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/mes9dc/tip_for_grinding_up_a_bunch_of_kamura_points/

Ore farming guides for all maps: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/mirv7o

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Harrow posted:

The only critique I'd offer is that there's probably no real need for Earplugs if you're playing insect glaive, since having all three buffs gives you Earplugs already. I'd also put Razor Sharp next to Protective Polish as another method of maintaining sharpness. Otherwise it's pretty good, yeah.

Agreed with some minor points: you only need White and Orange buffs for Earplugs and it doesn't give high enough Earplugs for Big Roars.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I support adding all those resources to the OP. Thank you for sharing them.

This is also my thread bookmark in case they don't get into the OP.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm curious, what are y'alls favorite maps in this game? I think for me Sandy Plains with Flooded Forest being a very close second. I always love the hell out of the desert maps in these games and this one is pretty and has some kickass rad music. Flooded Forest just looks spectacular I love the massive Tomb Raider vibes of it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is all that just safe to add as links in the second post? Or should I download and rehost them someplace? I don't know how impermanent links like that are.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I hosted everything not a Reddit link to postimages, couldn't say how long they'll last. Reddit stuff will last a very long time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Agreed with some minor points: you only need White and Orange buffs for Earplugs and it doesn't give high enough Earplugs for Big Roars.

I haven't encountered any roars yet that triple buff wouldn't let me ignore. I don't know the exact mechanics, but maybe white + orange gives mid-rank earplugs, triple buff gives you full earplugs?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The only roars the triple buff won't protect you from, that I've seen at least, is Tigrex's damaging roar and Rajang when he goes into super saiyan mode

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I can't remember if I had 2 or 3 the first time a roar stunned me and I was like, "What the hell?"

I'll report my findings.

Edit: It was definitely against Rajang.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Would any level of Earplugs skill protect you from those roars? Wonder if that lets us pinpoint exactly how much Earplugs you get with the IG triple buff.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OP updated with the Arekkz videos that have been posted so far, second post updated with an Imgur link to all those skill charts and the other maps posted.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ok what am I missing about talismans?

I thought you picked the skill you wanted, and you did get that skill but at a potentially varying str.. and then potentially bonus skills. I thought THAT was the rng. But I guess I'm wrong and there is no point in trying to select Rapid Morph cause it will more than likely never get that skill unless I'm lucky?!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Would any level of Earplugs skill protect you from those roars? Wonder if that lets us pinpoint exactly how much Earplugs you get with the IG triple buff.

Not sure if anyone has tested it since they once again made it so hard to build into earplugs, but the skill description seems to indicate that roars are broken up into Weak, Strong and Powerful. Rank 5 earplugs nullifies weak and strong roars, but merely reduces the effects of powerful roars, which leads me to believe that triple buff is rank 5 earplugs and that Tigrex and Rajang just have powerful roars.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Somehow I missed the sub-camp at Shrine Ruins... I just assumed because it was the first map there wasn't one.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Huxley posted:

OP updated with the Arekkz videos that have been posted so far, second post updated with an Imgur link to all those skill charts and the other maps posted.

Cheers! Please add the ore mining maps if it's not too much.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Kilazar posted:

Ok what am I missing about talismans?

I thought you picked the skill you wanted, and you did get that skill but at a potentially varying str.. and then potentially bonus skills. I thought THAT was the rng. But I guess I'm wrong and there is no point in trying to select Rapid Morph cause it will more than likely never get that skill unless I'm lucky?!

The good charms come from the melding type where you straight up cannot even select a skill.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

wuggles posted:

Alright, I picked up heavy bowgun because apparently I like weapons most people don't play (glaive, bow) according to the poll.

Any tips from those following the way of the dakka? I see the appeal, but I've carted more doing HBG than any other weapon (that may have to do with trying to do HR stuff alone with LR armor) and failed my first quest (but that may be because snail and I had a comm error so those two Volvidon had multiplayer-quest HP).

I'm using the Steel Assault gun, which even looking at the others I could make might be my favorite. I prefer Heart to Snipe, and I like slice, pierce, and sticky ammo. I'm bringing extra mats to craft more ammo mid-quest, saving wyvernheart for when they're asleep, and trying to remember that the counter is two bugs (as opposed to the lance's one). Anything else?

e: after my last quest I finished Hunter S and upgraded it a bunch so maybe now I can take a punch in HR a little better.

The key to HBG is that it's kind of solo unfriendly. When the monster is on your rear end you better have a shield, love Spread ammo, and enjoy always being by the skin of your teeth. When you have another group of friends taking the monster's attention it's easy to line up shots and aim carefully with things like pierce or sticky. My current favorite general purpose gun is the Ladybug Mortar, which has single-shot auto-reload Sticky ammo and can be ramped up to have 7-clip Pierce shots or Spread shots depending on your preference, and it also has Wyvernheart. I'm also looking at making various guns for piercing elemental ammo in the future, but that's a longer term project.

And yeah, get the one-wirebug counter from the Heavy Bowgun Switch Skill quest. I think it's one of the 5* hub ones. Not only is it only one wirebug but it gives you very fast charging which helps you eke more damage out of your ammo. Just be careful, getting knocked over or roared will end the quick charge buff early. My strategy is to slam Stickies at the monster until they're down, and then use Wyvernheart if I have it or shoot pierce as quickly as I can if I can't, or use Cluster Bombs if I have the room to do so.

I still use the shield instead of the power barrel even when playing with friends because at this point it feels like that's the POINT of using HBG over LBG. If I wanted more power I'd just use the "better" weapon. But I want more safety and comfiness.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Not sure if anyone has tested it since they once again made it so hard to build into earplugs, but the skill description seems to indicate that roars are broken up into Weak, Strong and Powerful. Rank 5 earplugs nullifies weak and strong roars, but merely reduces the effects of powerful roars, which leads me to believe that triple buff is rank 5 earplugs and that Tigrex and Rajang just have powerful roars.

That makes sense. Gotta say, having full earplugs on insect glaive is a really nice bonus and I'm glad they brought it back. It rules not getting knocked out of the air if a monster roars while I'm trying to line up a Diving Wyvern.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Alxprit posted:

The key to HBG is that it's kind of solo unfriendly.

I suspected this.

Well, fortunately I picked it up so that I’d have another option with the group where two of my three mains are already taken :)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rolled a pendant with 2 constitution and reworked my gear to have 5atk 4con 3crit eye and it feels like I can dash and fire the bow forever. Incredible what high constitution does for this weapon.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Cheers! Please add the ore mining maps if it's not too much.

Done.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Huxley posted:

:yeah:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

As someone who only played IG before in World the free earplugs have been great

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I keep trying to make Bow happen and I'm killing 4* village monsters with it but man I feel like I'm not doing great with it at all. Looking forward to Arekkz' Bow video to see how to get the most of this because I've been trying to play Bow since 4U and I'm gonna do it damnit.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I posted earlier this afternoon about SnS skills and then it got lost in a sea of discussion about steak and guns. I'm going to try again.

What switch skill are folks using? Advancing or Sliding slash?

I'm having a blast with Sliding and don't know why I'd use Advancing ever again.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm curious, what are y'alls favorite maps in this game? I think for me Sandy Plains with Flooded Forest being a very close second. I always love the hell out of the desert maps in these games and this one is pretty and has some kickass rad music. Flooded Forest just looks spectacular I love the massive Tomb Raider vibes of it.

MH3 was my first monhun so seeing Sandy Plains & Flooded Forest get a current-gen facelift was great, plus I finally get to climb that pyramid.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I keep trying to make Bow happen and I'm killing 4* village monsters with it but man I feel like I'm not doing great with it at all. Looking forward to Arekkz' Bow video to see how to get the most of this because I've been trying to play Bow since 4U and I'm gonna do it damnit.

I’m pretty sure Bow is just not all that great until you get the Mighty Bow helmet from the Arena and level 5 shot types. Also a monster from HR 7 has armor made to remove most of bow’s stamina issues.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alxprit posted:

The key to HBG is that it's kind of solo unfriendly. When the monster is on your rear end you better have a shield, love Spread ammo, and enjoy always being by the skin of your teeth. When you have another group of friends taking the monster's attention it's easy to line up shots and aim carefully with things like pierce or sticky. My current favorite general purpose gun is the Ladybug Mortar, which has single-shot auto-reload Sticky ammo and can be ramped up to have 7-clip Pierce shots or Spread shots depending on your preference, and it also has Wyvernheart. I'm also looking at making various guns for piercing elemental ammo in the future, but that's a longer term project.

I just want to say that this is true for 90% of the game, until you hit the real postgame where bowgun turns into a permastun nightmare for monsters and can put out speedrun times up there with any other weapon where you're never contested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG1-NjwZRL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JylOsL8Hk

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I honestly believe really well-made OPs are this forum at its best. Being able to drop into a thread dedicated to any of a few hundred different hobbies, games, or interests and right up front have something that looks like the thread actually gives a poo poo about newcomers is the kind of thing Reddit and Twitter and Discord just can't replicate.

I always brighten up about something when I have a question about, say, coffee makers and find out the coffee thread has an actual OP.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

What are people falling on as the go to Sword and Shield for raw? Narg looks good but what about something more raw/less sharp?

I miss slamming down a mega pot and flexing, Capcom are cowards for not letting us flex and run at the same time

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The trick is maintaining your maximum charge level glow as long as you can while shooting at the weak spots. You can move while charging and then hold ZL to begin aiming, but the meat of the combo as far as I understand it is ZR > evade > hold ZR is the low commitment pokes and if you are safe to hang out in the same spot for a while its evade > ZR > A > A > evade > hold ZR again to do a shot and then the two power shots. When your stamina gets close enough to the end where you can't evade again you can end a combo with the power shot A buttons and then either silkband jump air attack or dragon piercer.

If you're not keeping your gold or white glow up the whole time you're not gonna be doing max damage, which is the hard part. Also if the monster ever turns its face towards you evade to the side and keep firing when it attacks where you were.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I posted earlier this afternoon about SnS skills and then it got lost in a sea of discussion about steak and guns. I'm going to try again.

What switch skill are folks using? Advancing or Sliding slash?

I'm having a blast with Sliding and don't know why I'd use Advancing ever again.

Sliding. It outclasses advancing in every way IMO

Sucks to use accidentally but the worst case scenario is you just get a nice falling shield bash out of it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RuBisCO posted:

What are people falling on as the go to Sword and Shield for raw? Narg looks good but what about something more raw/less sharp?

I miss slamming down a mega pot and flexing, Capcom are cowards for not letting us flex and run at the same time

Probably nargacuga yeah. Narg is pretty much the best across the board for most weapons right now, but I think its particularly good for SnS since the shield bash combos don't use sharpness so you get to keep the white for way longer. Rathian looks pretty good too for an alternative

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't like sliding, vaulting into the air every time you attack the monster is a good way to not be able to avoid or shoryu incoming attacks

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got bored going for the crithammer build and in the meantime I’m using atlas hammer with bludgeoning 3. I think it’s technically less damage but it hits hard

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I adore this game but the final boss fight is extremely tedious. It gets the Shara Ishvalda treatment where I only ever do it once. A real shame as all the 7* monsters were hype, especially Diablos with his new tricks.

Stun resistance on rage slash greatsword is 100% mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's not Arekkz but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UOwo89Cv0s