Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Tropic of Creation cover is incredibly generic 90s sci-fi cover art that reminds me of the Wheel of Time paperbacks... but drat that Proteus Manifest cover next to it is pretty fuckin sweet

Also,

euphronius posted:

I can smell those books

Smells like a summertime trip to the library, surprisingly cool after the heat outside. Any of these books could have been in my backpack in 8th grade (I believe that's when I read Dune and the Foundation books)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Tropic of Creation cover is incredibly generic 90s sci-fi cover art that reminds me of the Wheel of Time paperbacks... but drat that Proteus Manifest cover next to it is pretty fuckin sweet

Let's investigate what's inside.

quote:

If you could look like anyone --or anything-- you wanted to, who would you be?
In the 22nd century, with Earth's population and economic pressures rapidly building to critical mass, one of the primary forms of expression and recreation is form-changing. Anyone with the credits to pay for it can enter a form-changing tank and via a masterful blending of computer technology, biofeedback and chemical manipulation, become Marilyn Monroe, Isaac Newton, or a gill-breathing mer-person. while there are uncountable legal form-changes available to the public, however, there are those who choose to explore forbidden forms. And so the Office of Form Control has been created.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

sorry i dont make the rules

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

TK-42-1 posted:

sorry i dont make the rules

For this post, and the many things wrong with it, His Excellency has condemned you to die.

(also sorry, no rules getting made here either :( )

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
You will be given the coup de grace of a Fremen and then placed in a moisture-suck chamber where in short order your body will mummify and your water will drain out into a small bladder with a tap. Then we will all drink a cup and talk about what a good poster you where.

We will also call you by your sietch name, since Star Wars is haraam.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I suppose this is the part of the Thread-Cycle in which we discuss other Sci-Fi works.

I just finished Proteus Manifest". Actually, I think this is 2 short paperbacks included as a hardback omnibus. This is a 1989 Book Club edition.

First book was written 1978, 2nd one 1989.

quote:

If you could look like anyone --or anything-- you wanted to, who would you be?
In the 22nd century, with Earth's population and economic pressures rapidly building to critical mass, one of the primary forms of expression and recreation is form-changing. Anyone with the credits to pay for it can enter a form-changing tank and via a masterful blending of computer technology, biofeedback and chemical manipulation, become Marilyn Monroe, Isaac Newton, or a gill-breathing mer-person. while there are uncountable legal form-changes available to the public, however, there are those who choose to explore forbidden forms. And so the Office of Form Control has been created.

It says 22nd Century, but that just doesn't line up with some things. Pretty sure some of the year frames given at places, pushes it later, but it's not important.
Earth Population is around 14 Billion. Doctors, as a profession, have been rendered obsolete by Form-Change tanks. It allows you to change, or regrow, various parts of your body. Plastic surgery, but it's all natural. It is an extremely popular, and well regulated, entertainment/lifestyle. Much like a ....LOT of sci-fi, it is pretty much a detective serial as it's driving force.
You can change through all the varieties of the human form, and when you get bored of that, there are lots of ...others to choose from.

Behrooz Wolf, or "Bey" as his friends call him, is the head of "The Office of Form-Control". He investigates things dealing with form-control, and hunts down illegal forms.

I like that it is sort of hard-ish Sci-Fi, in that reshaping your body takes time and effort. You could spend weeks in a tank, for some of the more involved forms.
It also has other costs. In the first few pages, he complains about the storage requirements for the new forms in the Spring Catalog.

He says:

quote:

I already have a billion words of primary storage, and I couldn't even begin to handle it. Four billion words, or you shouldn't even think of ordering it

This goon in SH/SC was kind enough to translate:

admiraldennis posted:

In x86 land, a "word" is still defined as 16 bits with 32 being a "double word" (dword) and 64 being a "quadruple word" (qword).

With this definition, we're talking 2 GB (base 10) for a billion 16-bit words.

x86 was introduced in 1978 so perhaps that's the best contextual answer :)

Thank you, Admiral Dennis!

So, Bey has 2 GB of primary storage right now, but the new forms require, at least, 8 GB of storage.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 1, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So you have minimum and recommended system requirements if you want to be Sonic but made entirely of penises? Because that’s what it would boil down to in our reality.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Has this thread talked about the new Dune podcast by one of the LPOTL guys? I gave it a listen, but turned it off after ten minutes because... basically I was hoping that Henry has a sidekick that's more moderate and knowledgeable, but instead the other guys seems like even more of a dumbass. Maybe it gets better later on, but not really interested in continuing atm.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

u gotta post some quotes from that wing commander book, how the hell did wing commander get a novelisation

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

u gotta post some quotes from that wing commander book, how the hell did wing commander get a novelisation

And by Mercedes Lackey to boot. Now I'm curious as well, didn't even notice that the first time

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ramc posted:

I am just starting Chapterhouse finally and 'we've just been pretending to be stupid for eons to the point of the matres glassing our planet' -classic teliaxu'

Another thing I am wondering is what do you think it would be like to gently caress one of the face dancers haha I'm just curious haha I've been imprinted

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

busalover posted:

Has this thread talked about the new Dune podcast by one of the LPOTL guys? I gave it a listen, but turned it off after ten minutes because... basically I was hoping that Henry has a sidekick that's more moderate and knowledgeable, but instead the other guys seems like even more of a dumbass. Maybe it gets better later on, but not really interested in continuing atm.

I'm up to the latest episode (3rd) and it's pretty much the same. Maybe a little more in-depth than the first episode. I'm enjoying it though. LPOTL and their other shows really only work if you like their banter IMO.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

eh, close enough.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Man that is one webcomic that declined sharply

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I'm the Goku-hair Sexy Feyd.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Don't do a parody of a movie if the movie is funnier on its own.

I love David Lynch, Dune, and David Lynch's Dune, but it's still a movie where Sting menacingly tells a man he has to drink cat milk every day or he'll die.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boy that comic sucks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

clearly it's not supposed to be funny

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Dear Dune Goons, I am not going to read the entire thread, but I want to read Dune. I know at some point the series goes from good to terrible, where am I supposed to stop.

I've already read like the first 9 pages, I hope I haven't gone too far yet.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KonMari DeathMetal posted:

Dear Dune Goons, I am not going to read the entire thread, but I want to read Dune. I know at some point the series goes from good to terrible, where am I supposed to stop.

Read Dune. If you want to read more after that, you can read more, but the best poo poo is in the first book and it's fully self-contained.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There are two good stopping points: the end of the first book, and the end of God Emperor. Pick one.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

just keep going until you come to the conclusion that it has become extremely weird and stupid. read the first two books, at least.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the first three are a good trilogy, the fourth is it's own thing and not bad, the last two are part of a trilogy that he died before he could finish

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The nice thing is that you can pretty much stop at any point and the story will feel complete yet point toward the great unknown future. Imo

If you enjoy reading the first book just read the sequels until it's not fun any more. But if you're onboard with the first book the second is pretty essential and it's a breezy read in comparison

e: I reread the first book for the first time in a decade or so last summer, fell in love, and read all of the sequels, of which there are precisely five. I plan to reread messiah this summer

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 7, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The books by his son are trash, even if you think you like trash they are trashier than that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I would mirror what others have said, and emphasize that if you enjoy Dune, the sequel is a great and much abbreviated follow-up that richly adds to the world and provides some much needed thematic clarity about the original Dune. It was originally intended to be published as a single work and it shows.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I would also say that it's worth it to hit up God Emperor just for how weird it is, even if you don't like it otherwise

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jewmanji posted:

I would mirror what others have said, and emphasize that if you enjoy Dune, the sequel is a great and much abbreviated follow-up that richly adds to the world and provides some much needed thematic clarity about the original Dune. It was originally intended to be published as a single work and it shows.

Dune asks "what if?" and Messiah answers imo.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I quit after God-Emperor and don't regret it.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

My partner asks me to read aloud to help them go to sleep sometimes and of course one time it's Heretics just as they're talking about 750 labial techniques to please your man or whatever

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm about 1/3 of the way into 3rd book and loving it, if you want to stop at Dune just watch the Lynch movie imo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Skulk Hogan posted:

I quit after God-Emperor and don't regret it.

But the pussy magic

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Sooo i’m watching DUNE for the first time ever.

Were the wires on Harkonnen meant to be that obvious?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Hooo hooo boy! I spoke too soon! Turd alien making GBS threads lightning out of its vagina mouth!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Turn on your monitor :haw:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Sooo i’m watching DUNE for the first time ever.

Were the wires on Harkonnen meant to be that obvious?

ummm they're called suspensors??? :smug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Turn on your monitor :haw:

Har har!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
milk this cat or you'll die

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

This movie’s loving stupid,gently caress this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

l8r