Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

teen witch posted:

Oh she’s got bad Expats Disease
I hear the UK developed a cure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Skwirl posted:

I was being hyberbolic, but it's a gruesome and incredibly exploitative form of entertainment that encourages the worst in people.
it can also be incredibly educational and cathartic for those of us for whom this isn't so much entertainment as a daily reality.

It's not like Hannibal fandom or anything if that's the notion you have.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, I've been into true crime since I was a kid, and it's just...interesting? I'm fascinated by murders and cults and poo poo, and I think it's weird that everyone (or at least the women) who are into it are assumed to be, I dunno, fangirls of the murderers or something? Sure, you have your Holmies and your Columbiners, but for a lot of women (or at least ones I've talked to or seen discuss it), their interest started as "Hey, let me read about what serial killers do, maybe I can get some tips to escape in case I ever encounter one?" or at least the placebo feeling of such.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

it can also be incredibly educational and cathartic for those of us for whom this isn't so much entertainment as a daily reality.

It's not like Hannibal fandom or anything if that's the notion you have.

I'm not going to get into a huge debate on it's merits because it's something I only have a limited knowledge of, but what limited knowledge I have struck me as exploitative of real people's tragedies and it grossed me out, which is why I stopped learning more.

I apologize for my pithy phrasing in the first post.

Also, Hannibal fandom is fine because it's fantasizing about a fictional character that's also played by the incredibly handsome Mads Michaelson, you'd probably have just as many (and many of the same) people thirsting after him if he played a legitimate psychiatrist who genuinely helped people deal with their issues.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
LPOTL is a good podcast and the guys who do it are funny and you guys can all kiss my butt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I've been into true crime since I was a kid, and it's just...interesting? I'm fascinated by murders and cults and poo poo, and I think it's weird that everyone (or at least the women) who are into it are assumed to be, I dunno, fangirls of the murderers or something? Sure, you have your Holmies and your Columbiners, but for a lot of women (or at least ones I've talked to or seen discuss it), their interest started as "Hey, let me read about what serial killers do, maybe I can get some tips to escape in case I ever encounter one?" or at least the placebo feeling of such.

Thing is, and this is horrible but true, you are much, much more likely to be murdered by a romantic partner or family member than a serial killer, so it's not really useful information. It's like men who spend a lot of time figuring out how to fight off a bear when, if they ever actually get into a fight, it will most likely be either with a drunk rear end in a top hat at bar or someone they cut off in traffic.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

LPOTL is a good podcast and the guys who do it are funny and you guys can all kiss my butt

I quite enjoyed their book. :)

Edit: I will agree with Skwirl that true crime can easily be "taught" by snickering assholes who want to laugh about another dead hooker. I highly recommend the Youtube channel That Chapter, run by an Irish guy who cracks jokes but still strikes me as pretty respectful of the victims. I believe he even removed a video after being asked to by a victim's family.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Apr 7, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Thing is, and this is horrible but true, you are much, much more likely to be murdered by a romantic partner or family member than a serial killer, so it's not really useful information. It's like men who spend a lot of time figuring out how to fight off a bear when, if they ever actually get into a fight, it will most likely be either with a drunk rear end in a top hat at bar or someone they cut off in traffic.

but it's ok for people to like stuff you don't like.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Edit: I will agree with Skwirl that true crime can easily be "taught" by snickering assholes who want to laugh about another dead hooker.

The LPOTL guys always make a very direct point about exactly why sex workers are so often the target of murderers, why that's a problem, and do not crack jokes about it. They mostly joke about how pathetic the lives of serial killers usually are and how much they hate them (see israel keyes and dennis 'BTK' rader, the worst poet who ever lived)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

The LPOTL guys always make a very direct point about exactly why sex workers are so often the target of murderers, why that's a problem, and do not crack jokes about it. They mostly joke about how pathetic the lives of serial killers usually are and how much they hate them (see israel keyes and dennis 'BTK' rader, the worst poet who ever lived)

Oh, I know, I love the LPOTL! Ben is so dreamy. :allears:

Also, my partner works with computers and is nowhere near as into true crime as I am, but he absolutely loves the story of how BTK got caught (which kinda sorta fits into the theme of this thread):

quote:

In his letters to police, Rader asked if his writings, if put on a floppy disk, could be traced or not. The police answered his question in a newspaper ad posted in the Wichita Eagle saying it would be safe to use the disk. On February 16, 2005, Rader sent a purple 1.44-Megabyte Memorex floppy disk to Fox TV affiliate KSAS-TV in Wichita.[47][48] Also enclosed were a letter, a gold-colored necklace with a large medallion, and a photocopy of the cover of Rules of Prey, a 1989 novel about a serial killer.[48]

Police found metadata embedded in a deleted Microsoft Word document that was, unknown to Rader, still stored on the floppy disk.[49] The metadata contained the words "Christ Lutheran Church", and the document was marked as last modified by "Dennis."[50] An Internet search determined that a "Dennis Rader" was president of the church council.[47] When investigators drove by Rader's house, a black Jeep Cherokee—the type of vehicle seen in the Home Depot surveillance footage—was parked outside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader#Cold_case

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m very picky about what true crime I watch/listen to because it gets into cop worship real quick when lol, they ain’t shiiiiit.

Ye olde cold case files episodes excluded, they’re a straight time portal.

Cannot recommend Casefile enough however. The only offensive thing on there is how the narrator pronounces Maryland

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Skwirl posted:

okay but thing is I don't live in Sunland/Tujunga so I have seen bears once in my life but I see men every day and it's been less than a month since a woman like me was killed in traffic escaping from harassment so maybe you can sync up your limited experience with some limited opining on the subject

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/dumpster1983/status/1379880966085304322

:dafuq:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

okay but thing is I don't live in Sunland/Tujunga so I have seen bears once in my life but I see men every day and it's been less than a month since a woman like me was killed in traffic escaping from harassment so maybe you can sync up your limited experience with some limited opining on the subject

I'm not trying to denigrate any one's lived experience and I apologize for that.

The two points I was trying to make were
1) Most True Crime podcasts are exploitative of real life tragedy in a way I personally find gross.
2) They have zero use whatsoever as educational tools for personal safety.

Anything I said that was insulting beyond those 2 points I again apologize for.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

teen witch posted:

I’m very picky about what true crime I watch/listen to because it gets into cop worship real quick when lol, they ain’t shiiiiit.

Ye olde cold case files episodes excluded, they’re a straight time portal.

Cannot recommend Casefile enough however. The only offensive thing on there is how the narrator pronounces Maryland
Casefile really does rule, because it's both dispassionate and concerned. No joking, no perving on the violence, just "this happened".

In non-podcast form, I tend to stick to murders < 1940 or so, because everybody involved would be dead by now anyway.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Casefile really does rule, because it's both dispassionate and concerned. No joking, no perving on the violence, just "this happened".

In non-podcast form, I tend to stick to murders < 1940 or so, because everybody involved would be dead by now anyway.

Right, if Casefile wasn't well produced at times I'd think the guy was just reading from Wikipedia. It's good.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

10-piece mariachi bands strolling down the street are considered a downside? :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s fine if people listen to true crime stories as entertainment, but some small fraction of listeners harass family of the victims and “suspects” (which are sometimes suspected only by the podcast producers and not the law), and that’s just deplorable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe she's sad that there aren't more bands. I've got a least two, one on either side of my house, every weekend for free here in America. It's nice!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Monkey posted:

but it's ok for people to like stuff you don't like.

Is it though?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Liking stuff for entertainment is cool
but "I listen to true crime podcasts to prepare myself for when the next up-and-coming celebrity serial killer targets me specifically" is a very anxiety-brainworms opinion

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Liking stuff for entertainment is cool
but "I listen to true crime podcasts to prepare myself for when the next up-and-coming celebrity serial killer targets me specifically" is a very anxiety-brainworms opinion

I never said little teenage me was thinking logically! :) Being a woman kinda sucks sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l26UFQ06eQ

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

I never said little teenage me was thinking logically! :) Being a woman kinda sucks sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l26UFQ06eQ

I’m so glad you have that avatar, it makes me smile every time I see it. The cobwa. The opposite of an idiot on social media.

I get the true crime thing - people who kill people are interesting. People dying in bizarre and violent ways is just one of them things that’ll never not be interesting. Prison docs are my guilty pleasure. The concept of prisons is somehow crueller and more macabre than a random killer to me somehow. That said I think it should be consumed as part of a balanced diet. I feel like just consuming true crime/any macabre real life poo poo can’t be good for you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

I keep meaning to listen to Drunk Women Solving Crime after finding out they had Nish Kumar on.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

I can sort of see it, I guess? MST3K makes these little jokes during the movies, yeah? Riffs? Well, that style of critique, small riffs instead of a cohesive review, was so incredibly popular in the late 2000s, for example, Nostalgia Critic and all the critics that followed his style. That style leads to an over-emphasis on granular nitpicks (ala Cinema Sins) which may miss the forest for all the imperfect trees. If you accept the premise of MST3K popularizing this particular method of reviewing a thing, then yeah, MST3K ruined 'critical discourse'.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
e;fb: :argh: ^^^

I think they're referring to the wave of Youtube film/media "critics" like The Nostalgia Critic or CinemaSins from the last decade that were basically doing a much lamer version of MST3K and calling those videos "reviews" or "criticism" (because to claim fair use they have to). However, that ignores the fact that actual critics never stopped doing their thing and there are some great critics that now post on Youtube.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

There's a pretty huge difference in varieties of people who enjoy true crime. There are plenty of ways to research and engage respectfully, and then you have the people who make school shooters their husbandos/contact the victim's families/are true crime fans because they enjoy other people's pain.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Aren't most MST3K jokes just making a funny little riff about what the next line would be, not "this plot makes no sense" or "poo poo pee pee he wouldn't say that." Like every standout MST joke in my head is just some nonsensical dumb poo poo that makes me laugh

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nazzadan posted:

Aren't most MST3K jokes just making a funny little riff about what the next line would be, not "this plot makes no sense" or "poo poo pee pee he wouldn't say that." Like every standout MST joke in my head is just some nonsensical dumb poo poo that makes me laugh
"Big McLargehuge"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nazzadan posted:

Some of it does point out plot holes I guess but I wouldn't say it was meant to be critical exactly. Like in Space Mutiny when a character who was just murdered appears about one scene later.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Nazzadan posted:

Why would anyone want to do that with Mitchell, Joel?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Midnight Voyager posted:

Some of it does point out plot holes I guess but I wouldn't say it was meant to be critical exactly. Like in Space Mutiny when a character who was just murdered appears about one scene later.

And that’s actually funny as opposed to “boy I hope someone got fired for that blunder” level nerd bullshit.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lumbermouth posted:

And that’s actually funny as opposed to “boy I hope someone got fired for that blunder” level nerd bullshit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Speaking of MST3K, Joel just opened another kickstarter today to fund another new season. (Which is probably what spurred the "ruined critical discourse" guy to comment today.)

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k/description

MST3K thread in TVIV: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784246

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Some times they do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_f5fkrCTA

Also sorry, but this thread is probably going to be an MST3K thread for at least the next few hours.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I do like to imagine the type of person that watched the No Springs episode and tore up their critical analysis of Event Horizon when Crow said "lot of good places around here to hide a body"

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Is Rifftrax still going? I’m a huge MST3K fan but IMO Rifftrax is better.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mds2 posted:

Is Rifftrax still going? I’m a huge MST3K but IMO Rifftrax is better.

Sure is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Ztewn_KwM

May I direct you to the currently free entire movie on Youtube, the blaxploitation Guy from Harlem?

(also if you look up Rifftrax on Twitch they have an always-on show of ones they can show on Twitch)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

They also have a 24/7 Twitch stream that just plays random episodes in full
https://twitch.tv/rifftrax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Midnight Voyager posted:

Sure is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Ztewn_KwM

May I direct you to the currently free entire movie on Youtube, the blaxploitation Guy from Harlem?

(also if you look up Rifftrax on Twitch they have an always-on show of ones they can show on Twitch)

Awesome. On roku the Pluto app has a MST3K/Rifftrax channel that streams 24/7