Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

lol that should be a bigger crack ping for most folks. slipping in the little "well actually if you are fully vaxxed, don't do this thing we promised fully vaxxed people could do"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
holy poo poo I'm getting vaxed in 2 days, I live in Bumfuck, Canada and thought it wouldn't be until the rapture. My new job is getting everyone the shot and I'll be vaxed before my parents lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mod sassinator posted:

do sinopharm or sinovac used the same stabilized spike protein as J&J? i assume not and they're the same spike as the AZ. someone was saying a bit ago that the stabilization might be the key and why some of vaxes appear to deal with SA and others just completely fail

They don’t have the stabilisation because they use real inactivated virus, not bespoke spike proteins generated by custom code.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/dob_008/status/1367602728998866945

Vancouver is the best vacay spot during the pandy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brazil is in chaos

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Platystemon posted:

They don’t have the stabilisation because they use real inactivated virus, not bespoke spike proteins generated by custom code.

ahh yikes, yeah seems like (as expected) inactivated viruses are just a terrible way to deal with coronaviruses that mutate constantly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is there still an end of line problem with pharmacies/drug stores not having the cooling equipment needed or is that mostly solved?
I mean I know we have a lot of surging capacity right now considering folks are getting vaccinated in parking lots and deserted malls so I guess maybe that kinda cooling equipment is just out there in the wild enough now for it to be a "go to CVS" sorta situation to get a booster

Pfizer’s vaccine is approved for a fortnight at ordinary freezer temperature.

The deep‐freeze requirement is a thing of the past.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Posted earlier about being hosed up by my uncle and brother-in-law getting cancer diagnoses on the same day. Uncle is in the hospital now and probably doesn't have long left, cancer has metastasised from the lungs to his spine. Brother-in-law's prostate cancer had already metastasised into his hips, spine and possibly brain. So that's loving poo poo and I don't know how to process it.

On a lighter note, my dad finally got called in and I helped him book his first Pfizer shot in four days. Website was swamped and we had to wait an hour for the 25,000 people in line to get done. You'd think they could maybe expand server capacity for something as important as this, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phpFIqhWwe0

Jesus christ, condolences. Same thing with your uncle happened to my dad about 10 years ago and it was rough (didn't even realize anything was wrong until he was dealing with back pain), and then I don't even know how to process the BIL situation, that is horribly unfair for that poor family.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Steve Yun posted:

LOS ANGELES VACCINE:

Cal State LA has tons of Johnson’s, walk in regardless of eligibility, walk out funny

ONLY FOR A FEW MORE DAYS

HOT NOW

thanks, shared it!

i miss LA :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/dob_008/status/1367602728998866945

Vancouver is the best vacay spot during the pandy

i think the writer of that hosed up a bit. vancouver, wa, is the rear end in a top hat of washington state that farts across the river into portland and oregon. it is a "drive-by" city that is completely without merit or anything of value. i use it as a fuel-stop to fill up my car before heading down to the weird land of oregon where that's not legal to do yourself

vancouver, wa, is chud central where the kind of people who don't want to pay income tax by living in washington state AND don't want to pay sales tax by driving south for 20 minutes to oregon live

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Did we ever get a follow up on that goon's mom who was driving to Vancouver WA all the time

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There is a Vancouver in WA :wtf:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!

Nonsense posted:

Brazil is in chaos

this man has just fuckin wrecked a g30 nation

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1329113457694830597?s=19

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Pryor on Fire posted:

There is a Vancouver in WA wtf

it's almost exactly the same distance due south of seattle as vancouver, BC, is due north

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ham Cheeks posted:

holy poo poo I'm getting vaxed in 2 days, I live in Bumfuck, Canada and thought it wouldn't be until the rapture. My new job is getting everyone the shot and I'll be vaxed before my parents lol

Nice. Which shot?

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i thought i caught p1 on monday night. i was puking up a storm after catching up on the thread and reading about the canucks.

im better now. it was just the (stomach) flu, bro.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pryor on Fire posted:

get this, there’s a place called WA in Australia and there are posters from there in this very thread just posting all Australian day long

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Nothus posted:

Nice. Which shot?

a onefer, not sure which.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Washington, Australia? :psyboom:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

vancouver, wa, is chud central where the kind of people who don't want to pay income tax by living in washington state AND don't want to pay sales tax by driving south for 20 minutes to oregon live
that’s becoming a lot less true now with as much as rents in portland have gone up

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ham Cheeks posted:

a onefer, not sure which.

So JnJ or AZ

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

SKULL.GIF posted:

Did we ever get a follow up on that goon's mom who was driving to Vancouver WA all the time

Not that goon, but if anyone was wondering about In-n-Out cousin, they got Covid a few months ago :newlol:

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Nothus posted:

So JnJ or AZ

may johnson and johnson shoot its load into me

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

So wait now the Cdcc is telling people vaccinated it may not be safe to travel?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Goons,

I just got an appt for the J&J juice next Wednesday. Someone sweet talk me about how it is just as good as the MNRA ones so I dont keep window shopping.

J&J (and Novavax) modified the spike protein in a way that Moderna and BioNTech (Pfizer’s partner) did not by removing the cleavage site where the spikes can break in twain. It’s a modification that looks good in the laboratory.

I would still totally window shop for an mRNA vaccine, but J&J’s product is not strictly inferior. Maybe this spike tweak is really worth something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nothus posted:

So JnJ or AZ

AZ is two, it’s just that the second shot should be delayed a good long while for legitimate efficacy reasons and also because every country using it is loving around with dose delay to get more people partially vaccinated and make the politicians look better.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pryor on Fire posted:

The Columbia River (current WA/OR border) was the original Canadian border and Vancouver WA was a Hudson's Bay Company outpost like most Canadian cities. But the Brits basically threw away the PNW in the Oregon treaty so a new Vancouver was made above the 49th parallel, and old Vancouver became a lovely American suburb.

Good video on it from the Canadian perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVBaut5YjyA

George Vancouver was a British sailor who "discovered" the PNW - after the natives and Spanish, but nevermind them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Glumwheels posted:

yeah it owns

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Glumwheels posted:

Like every other open'r up policy

As soon as they changed the vaccine guidance they also said "but it's probably not a good idea"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Louisgod posted:

yeah it owns

Every loving time they make some dumbshit rec, people come out of the woodwork to defend it as “they’ve got to sweeten the pot for compliance!” and then whoopsie-doodle, the CDC has to walk it back a week later and they look like fools.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Walensky is a fool

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
all of this easing of guidelines from the cdc has been, you will very likely be fine, but if you all do this we are all completely hosed

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nothus posted:

Washington, Australia? :psyboom:

I assume it's named for a different Washington.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
cdc: constant dumb cycles

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mawarannahr posted:

get this, there’s a place called WA in Australia and there are posters from there in this very thread just posting all Australian day long

Pretty sure we don't have a token western Aussie actually. Just Snowglobe and I repping Melbourne, Helith in Sydney and spaceblancrogue in Brisbane.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Australian Smartraveller government site is pretty funny and has this graphic

The travel advice page is just a long list of 'Do Not Travel' except for New Zealand which is 'Exercise a high degree of caution'

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

brugroffil posted:

Like every other open'r up policy

As soon as they changed the vaccine guidance they also said "but it's probably not a good idea"

Open 'er up!

No, not like that!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lacrosse posted:

Open 'er up!

No, not like that!

in

n
out

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Even when worn correctly, the cabin masks are only designed to provide enough oxygen to prevent permanent damage.

You’ll still pass out.

Someone's seen Fight Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Platystemon posted:

Every loving time they make some dumbshit rec, people come out of the woodwork to defend it as “they’ve got to sweeten the pot for compliance!” and then whoopsie-doodle, the CDC has to walk it back a week later and they look like fools.

this is just a tool the anti-vax chuds are using to manipulate the dumb libs. they can whine "waaaa, but how will people want the shot if they can't eat Applebees or spring break?? we need to give them a carrot, not stick" and then the dumb libs fall for the bait and it's just a game to keep making the carrot bigger and bigger with more whining

soon the CDC guidance will be, get the shot and then in the next 12 hours you are Good To Go on that summer trip, eat applebees, and (safely) throw your mask in the trash. this was the only way to get those people to take a shot!!