Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, that's one thing they didn't quite resolve between 1 and 2 in my opinion, is that human enemies are still basically no threat and yokai still make a quarter of your skills useless. Nearly everything is better wholesale but one thing imo that is worse is the sheer number of unparryable enemies. The parry skills are really stylish and all but why keep them equipped/readied when non-boss humans only last for a few weapon swings? If I'm already playing rocket tag with some dude with an odachi I'm gonna just hit him with my weapon that sends him 10 feet in the air instead of risking a game of L1+Triangle Russian Roulette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I understand the compromise we have now with burst counters compared to the lock in animation parries. In an experienced player's hands, they make every human you can use them on trivial, so all the challenging humans are the ones that spam active skills (which are unparryable) or use special enemy only attacks that can't be parried. I only wish they had made non-animation lock parries like the axe and tonfa have work on any yokai attacks at all instead of just do nothing for no visible reason.

Having said that, I don't know if it is really necessary to have animation lock parries be so limited just for well practiced action game wizards, while mere mortals just don't use them at all.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think that a good compromise would be to make it so if you successfully execute a parry move, it at least performs an advantageous repositioning. They have that kind of context-aware move in the kusarigama already.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i'm mostly ambivalent about yokai vs living weapon, since i don't use yokai shift and think LW was OP as hell, since it charged so fast and was essentially invincibility, i sorta look at them as sloth-talisman likes where they let you just avoid learning some things, which is fine if thats your thing, it just isnt mine

i do prefer burst counters & yokai abilities tho, so i'm firmly in team Nioh 2 is way better

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ultimately, either game allows you to do poo poo that is ridiculously broken without LW or shift

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

will any yokai ability make a yokai grapplable if they're out of ki like that or only specific ones?
Nothing specific to yokai abilities, they're just really good at causing it. Are you a gaming boomer, ya know how Final Fight and stuff enemies would have multiple life bars of different colors? Yokai ki meters are like that. There's the initial purple ki bar, when that's empty your attacks will cause hitstun. But also there's a really hard to notice FF style second red-on-red ki bar you can deplete - when that's out they will go down to that "winded" state where you have time to fire off one or two things for extra damage and/or trying to apply status/confusion, and get a grapple. Yokai abilities do hella ki damage along with reducing the size of yokai ki meters, so they're especially good at getting those winded states. It's tough cause yokai like to do their Goku RAAA ki charge moves to get their purple bar back before you get a chance to get them down to that winded state, and I swear different attacks will trigger them to do their recharge sooner, so the windows can be small.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Qwertycoatl posted:

I use Feral basically all the time so maybe that's why I don't like yokai shift much. I should try Phantom more I guess. I was wondering why people kept saying yokai shift let you spam your abilities when I could barely get one out ever.
Yeh don't feel bad, some more on that is you can spam yokai abilities in shift, but there are for sure some asterisks. I used the setup I landed on for plowing through levels mostly in shift form and tried doing the same gear but with Feral and it just fell flat.
E.g.:

Kind of hard to see even if you blow it up, but looking at the amount the three yokai ability meters are filled, the top image is the baseline of where they started after a shift, then how much was charged from all 4 hits of one charged phantom attack landing. Bottom right side is with little/no armor on, left side is adding gear to give +30% Yokai Ability Charge (Shift), +10% Anima Charge, and +8% Melee Damage. I'm assuming the base of how much abilities get charged is how much damage you do cause that's how a lot of other stuff works, then any multipliers for Ability/Anima charge. I'm guessing the Feral charge attack doesn't gen much from it doing lower damage and/or the hits not always landing, compared to Brute or Phantom where they're almost guaranteed to land for full damage. Quick attacks are shift meter heavy in general for how much they charge abilities, and same there of the light feral pokes just don't seem to count for much. Also it's a different meter but abilities still cost different amounts - aka a big move like Gozuki will take more to get charged than something cheap like Goki.

So, for the menu-ing side of things for how well you can and want to spam the moves is based on how much Anima generation you get (a good stat in general) and/or Yokai Ability Charge (Shift), how much your moves cost, and how much damage you land.
For the buttons-pressing-side of it, the moves charge independently and simultaneously - so you can do like, Perform a grapple shift (activate up close to a grapple-able enemy) -> You'll probably do enough damage to charge all your moves -> Use one yokai move now one's empty and other two are full -> Cancel into a charge attack which'll partially recharge the first move -> Use second yokai move -> Charge atk which'll recharge the first and second move -> Use third move -> Charge atk and hopefully your first move is fully recharged already -> Repeat. Just in general try and keep an eye on your abilities and use them as soon as you can cause any attacks you land while any abilities are ready to fire is 'wasted' charge you aren't getting.

And don't forget to get the drop from the first stage DLC1 DLC3 Otak fight for the upgraded charge attack version Shiftling Tree skill for whatever form you're using, seems like those have a pretty easy drop rate and are free damage.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 6, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

teh_Broseph posted:

And don't forget to get the drop from the first stage DLC1 Otakemaru fight for the upgraded charge attack version Shiftling Tree skill for whatever form you're using, seems like those have a pretty easy drop rate and are free damage.

The what now? I just finished DLC1 and got into DLC2. I don't remember fighting Otakemaru...

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

The what now? I just finished DLC1 and got into DLC2. I don't remember fighting Otak...

Whoops I'm dumb and maybe spoilers :ohdear:, first mission in DLC3

e: He drops skills that'll make your shift charge attacks better and show up like hidden skills in the Shiftling tree - Phantom adds two more spinny disks, Brute adds an explosion, Feral i dunno. Drop rate seems generous, Phantom I got without paying attention, Brute I went to farm for and got it second or third try.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2021

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I barely ever use Yokai Shift but I used Living Weapon all the time in Nioh 1. I couldn't live without burst counters though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Got the most samurai kill ever on Saito Yoshitatsu while farming his skills and smithing texts. This game owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RCbssXB64U

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

teh_Broseph posted:

And don't forget to get the drop from the first stage DLC1 DLC3 Otak fight for the upgraded charge attack version Shiftling Tree skill for whatever form you're using, seems like those have a pretty easy drop rate and are free damage.

Ask me about killing him 70 times and still not having any :shepicide:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I know right? I'm only missing a few of the enemy skills now, the switchglaive one from the dojo, the magic one from Doman and the Phantom buff from Orochi. Killed him a ton of times in that DLC3 rematch mission where they give you a free summon, I have over one screen's worth of his soul cores cluttering up my inventory :argh:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Doman's unique spells is really cool, I use it all the time. Wish he dropped a couple more like hayabusa, Doman has a ton of great looking spells but he's stuck as the intro to the real boss.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

When I want to farm bosses I just look to see if I have them in a Demon/Nioh scroll. It's really useful. Some of those scrolls are really short too, with just two bosses and no waves.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's probably wise, you can get re-rolls for good traits on your scrolls and save time going through the level. If you need to farm a boss that is in a mission with more than one shrine (EG Katsui for the hatchet special) you can quit to main menu when you are at the end of the mission but haven't pressed continue on the yellow fog in the boss area, and it will respawn the boss and reset you to the shrine. Can save you time if you don't have a scroll.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Boss scrolls are also a great way to farm Shiftling levels.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I'm not very good at boss battles. I get nervous and lock up. For some bosses, i lucked out and beat them on the first few tries. Others give me problems.

I need to relax, think, and get better.

But stuff like this? https://streamable.com/t07vo8

This is horseshit.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The hitbox on that attack definitely sucks, I've died to that same thing. You could have avoided having to dodge if you activated yokai shift instead, you can even do that when out of ki to recover more quickly and be invinicible in the transform sequence but there is a whole lot going on in a boss battle so it can be an easy thing to forget

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That hitbox is definitely enormous but in that gif I thiiiink you may have collided with his body which still hurts you and the game just shoved your dude aside weirdly. You can see the 1000x number pop up before your guy starts doing the "gently caress I DIED" animation that I love and have seen so many times as well

edit: My favorite is the one where you do a full spin and your guy just flops forward with a comical "HURK" sound as if you got sucker punched by a cartoon boxing glove

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 9, 2021

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Morter posted:

So I'm not very good at boss battles. I get nervous and lock up. For some bosses, i lucked out and beat them on the first few tries. Others give me problems.

I need to relax, think, and get better.

But stuff like this? https://streamable.com/t07vo8

This is horseshit.

Let me know if you ever need help dealing with a mission or boss, by the way. Until I saw you post here I thought you were much farther ahead in the game than me so I never hit you up on Steam, but I was wrong, whoops :v:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Made it to WotN, pretty sure i got over 15 levels doing the first main mission. Got some wicked lightning gloves, replaced all my armor with new stuff. Now the real grind begins. Loot explosions are the best. Love that about both games, better and better loot explosions as you progress.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

teh_Broseph posted:

Nothing specific to yokai abilities, they're just really good at causing it. Are you a gaming boomer, ya know how Final Fight and stuff enemies would have multiple life bars of different colors? Yokai ki meters are like that. There's the initial purple ki bar, when that's empty your attacks will cause hitstun. But also there's a really hard to notice FF style second red-on-red ki bar you can deplete - when that's out they will go down to that "winded" state where you have time to fire off one or two things for extra damage and/or trying to apply status/confusion, and get a grapple. Yokai abilities do hella ki damage along with reducing the size of yokai ki meters, so they're especially good at getting those winded states. It's tough cause yokai like to do their Goku RAAA ki charge moves to get their purple bar back before you get a chance to get them down to that winded state, and I swear different attacks will trigger them to do their recharge sooner, so the windows can be small.

thanks, I had noticed a difference between the two reds but I thought the bright red was just showing their lowered maximum ki. that explains a lot.

on this subject, are final blows better than grapples? how do grapples vs. human enemies triggered by running them out of stamina with active skills such as splitstaff flying kick compare to doing them the normal way?

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 10, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

thanks, I had noticed a difference between the two reds but I thought the bright red was just showing their lowered maximum ki. that explains a lot.

on this subject, are final blows better than grapples? how do grapples vs. human enemies triggered by running them out of stamina with active skills such as splitstaff flying kick compare to doing them the normal way?

I find them to be roughly equivalent in base damage, but grapples have special versions for some weapons that do more damage, steal anima, or whatever. I don't have specific numbers though.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I would say grapples are generally stronger that final blows as they deal a bit more damage in normal cases. Some grapple replacers are even better like Izuna Drop for sword/fists that lets you recharge your ki while performing it but doesn't let the enemy regen any so you can get them stuck in a loop.

As far as special moves that also grapple like splitstaff kick, I'd generally rate them as weaker in pure damage than an actual grapple but easier to land as they have ki drain built in/long range/other useful properties.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

On the other hand, they look really cool and make me feel like a big man

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

:hai: The best way to play

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Grapples and final blows doing different things and having different stats with different damage calc is probably the best example of how this game's stat system sucks so much rear end. I love this game but the leveling and the number of stats and remembering what they do really drags it down. I don't want to spend time on a Wiki trying to figure out why my damage is so much different than a player of an equivalent level, I wanna find and put on the same ONE 'legendary samurai boss guy's hard leather armor' in the game as everyone else's. The Diablo style loot and stat rolls PRETEND to give you huge build variety but they don't, time and time again everybody in this thread has said that the little stats don't matter on the first playthrough only armor in which case why are they in the game

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 11, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I wouldn't say they don't matter, personally. Qualifying for things like Ultimate stat bonuses makes a big difference, but there's a lot more going on than just qualifying for things.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

AFAIK there's a level cap, right? 750 or so? I assume you can't qualify for all Ultimate X traits in one character?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azran posted:

AFAIK there's a level cap, right? 750 or so? I assume you can't qualify for all Ultimate X traits in one character?

Correct. More than half of the ultimate stats are mediocre or extremely niche anyways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sentient weapons that talk to you is such a great idea thematically that I wish it applied to the purity weapons too (possessed by a benevolent spirit instead)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

One possessed by a christian angel just going "HOLY HOLY HOLY"

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally started Nioh 1 for the first time as a massive fan souls and team ninja's previous games. I am already loving it quite a bit. I just got a few questions.

-I have already managed to nail down ki flux, changing stance while doing ki pulse although I am not sure what benefit of changing stance is in combat yet. I normally start off in low then mid then go high as they are about to die. If anyone could explain, are the stances usage just depend on the enemy type? I am just switching over n over on same enemy not sure if there is any benefit but it feels good.
-What's the point of main weapon and 2ndary weapons? I thought you wouldn't be able to equip other weapons but it seems you get drops/can equip anything? Is it just a initial attribute boost toward those weapons main stats?
-At start I was fighting all the remnants I found. There seems to be a lot of them in some areas. Is the main reason to fight them for better loot and farming amrita?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Ulio posted:

Finally started Nioh 1 for the first time as a massive fan souls and team ninja's previous games. I am already loving it quite a bit. I just got a few questions.

-I have already managed to nail down ki flux, changing stance while doing ki pulse although I am not sure what benefit of changing stance is in combat yet. I normally start off in low then mid then go high as they are about to die. If anyone could explain, are the stances usage just depend on the enemy type? I am just switching over n over on same enemy not sure if there is any benefit but it feels good.
-What's the point of main weapon and 2ndary weapons? I thought you wouldn't be able to equip other weapons but it seems you get drops/can equip anything? Is it just a initial attribute boost toward those weapons main stats?
-At start I was fighting all the remnants I found. There seems to be a lot of them in some areas. Is the main reason to fight them for better loot and farming amrita?

You'll get unique skills that work in different stances. Early on you should try all the weapons and see what you like. They have stats that boost damage but that won't be important to later, so just try everything to see what you like. Ranged weapons are great for killing enemies to reduce a group, it can be real dangerous to get a group on you plus those extra bonuses. And remnants are good for loot plus the glory they give is a currency.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Stances also change your evasion and block. Low stance has the best evasion, mid stance has better block, and high stance is for when you know you're not getting hit (or can tank a hit)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Low stances gives you two dashes before rolling, mid stance gives you and high stance you get no dashes, just a roll, which makes it the most efficient stance to put yourself out if you're on fire :v:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

Slightly more specifically:
High stance generally has the strongest or furthest reaching attacks, but they tend to be slower, and your dodge is replaced with a slow roll.
Mid stance makes blocking drain a significant amount less ki and its attacks tend to be well balanced. Most counter/parry type special moves are mid stance only. If you dodge twice in a row, the second dodge in mid stance will be a slow roll.
Low stance generally has short range, low damage but rapid attacks. When you dodge in low stance, you will always quickly sidestep and never do the slow roll.
If you're playing light armor, your ki recovery is much faster than heavy armor so you won't get a huge amount of benefit out of ki flux. If you are playing heavy armor, you will appreciate any extra scrap of ki recover you can get.

Picking main and secondary weapon in the intro was just for some very minor stat bonuses and your chosen weapons are given to you in the first mission. You can always equip any weapon so those choices basically don't matter at all.

Revenants are just for minor amrita or equipment drops. You can get gear drops from whatever the revenant you kill is wearing, so in Nioh 1, 99% of them will be using the Warrior of the West set early in the game (an unremarkable suit of medium armor), and later in the game more and more will be using the Red Demon set (a suit of light armor with bonus ki recovery or something like that). Outside of those two sets, you won't realistically be able to get a whole lot out of revenant farming. If you like heavy armor, you are out of luck.

EDIT: Oh other people beat me to the roll related stuff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Expeditions continue to be buggy in spite of the patch. Just had another instance of a mission where NPCs in general completely bug out for me (and only me), where if I try to talk to someone, either they simply twitch and their dialogue doesn't trigger or I get completely stuck and unable to do anything at all, not even open a menu. the only way we've found to fix this is for my teammate to slide me away into the water to kill me.

once the bug has triggered subtitles no longer work for the rest of the mission/cutscenes (good thing there are english voices now!) and after completing the mission I get stuck on a permanent black screen, ultimately having to alt F4. Twice when this happened the game was still saved so I didn't lose anything, but one time I lost all progress from the mission and had to redo all of it.

but this time it was actually good because it also gave me doublegoats.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

My friend also had a similar issue when talking to Benkei in A Song to Calm The Storm, so after that he just refrained from talking to NPCs.