Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

theHUNGERian posted:

I feel like a corporate buzzword should be included.

a deep dive (or a double click) of PMs

A sigma of PMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A circlejerk of C levels

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
An opinion of engineers

Also there needs to be a term for a meeting that you know will be worthless, and is scheduled at a really inconvenient time, but you know if you skip it you will be scapegoated or assigned a bunch of poo poo. Because I just got an invite for a daily 6pm 15 minute meeting (to sync with shanghai time zone for a group also getting pulled in). Fuckin hell I want to skip it so bad but I know I probably shouldn’t.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"A work meeting"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

theHUNGERian posted:

I feel like a corporate buzzword should be included.

a deep dive (or a double click) of PMs

a tbd of pms

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

priznat posted:

An opinion of engineers

Also there needs to be a term for a meeting that you know will be worthless, and is scheduled at a really inconvenient time, but you know if you skip it you will be scapegoated or assigned a bunch of poo poo. Because I just got an invite for a daily 6pm 15 minute meeting (to sync with shanghai time zone for a group also getting pulled in). Fuckin hell I want to skip it so bad but I know I probably shouldn’t.

a bleating

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

a bleating

Lol

I am in the meeting and enjoy the meeting caller tripping over his dick repeatedly with incorrect information and then stepping in with “aaaactually”, ah small victories

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
is it normal my job offers $20 a month if you agree to install an app on your personal phone called mobile device manager plus (https://www.manageengine.com/mobile-device-management/) ? they say it's just to allow you access work emails, but that's doesn't seem true. i installed it on an old android without service via wifi to collect the $20.

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 8, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
uh oh

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm not familiar with that specific app, but if my job wants to install something on one of my personal devices they can eat my entire rear end.

Looking forward to this thread flipping out though it's gonna be real good.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Good Parmesan posted:

is it normal my job offers $20 a month if you agree to install an app on your personal phone called mobile device manager plus (https://www.manageengine.com/mobile-device-management/) ? they say it's just to allow you access work emails, but that's doesn't seem true. i installed it on an old android without service via wifi to collect the $20.

Generally that's what it's for. With BYOD they should set up a container inside phone for secure storage. That container is for emails, documents and apps they want to push. And you can put secure browsers in there. That gives them the ability to wipe the device of the container. With a company provided phone, they can set it up to wipe the whole device.

If you want that phone, it's up to you.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Good Parmesan posted:

No, it's not normal.

It would be relatively normal if they owned the device. Mobile device management means they can do things like track the phone's location, remote-wipe it, list off all the apps you've got installed, or route traffic through their own MITM proxy that lets them snoop on basically everything you do on the phone. They might or might not actually do those things, especially the last one (which has a bunch of complex infrastructure requirements beyond "install app") but they'd have the power to do them. It's not crazy to have a policy that says "in order to access work email/documents/whatever from a phone, that phone must be enrolled in our MDM system." It's pretty standard in companies that might be working with sensitive information, so they're not at risk of a breach when somebody gets pickpocketed and the thief manages to guess that their passcode is "1234".

Requiring or strongly encouraging you to set it up on your own personal device, though, is strange. My guess is that they're moving towards requiring people to have 24/7 access to corporate email, but IT said they weren't going to allow unmanaged devices, and finance said they weren't going to pay for mobile hardware and plans for everyone to have a dedicated company phone. I wouldn't take that $20.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Depending on the company not taking the $20 might get you put in the Not A Team Player file, but I wouldn't do it either.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I use an MDM app to get my outlook/webex/timesheet app functional. It doesn't let them do anything outside of the sandbox. It's fine.

Now full MDM stuff on your personal phone I wouldn't do.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vasudus posted:

I use an MDM app to get my outlook/webex/timesheet app functional. It doesn't let them do anything outside of the sandbox. It's fine.

Same

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vasudus posted:

At my current place people complained about the "sandbox" application loving with/locking down some settings outside of the sandbox. If I can find details tomorrow I will post them. I wouldn't do it on my personal device without some serious research into exactly what the given app has access to, but my default reaction is "no thanks, I'll use company-provided hardware at all times."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

priznat posted:

An opinion of engineers

At the moment I have a daily half hour call, a three times a week "mandatory catch up", two sets of appointments added as "reminders to submit status updates", multiple hour plus calls during the week and a once weekly "management summary" call all on the same project and typically, only half an hour of any of it is of any use but if I dare to not attend them I start getting chased on three different platforms simultaneously about why I'm not there.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Had an interview today, first one in about 2 years, but it’s a smaller company. I go through the normal sales pitch of my background and why the position interests me. I end with about 5 minutes left on the call, after he was already 5 minutes late. No big deal, plenty of time for me to shout out a few questions.
Instead he just says “interesting” about 5 times, and says that he needs to figure out the next steps and never let me ask any questions. Then the interview is over.
Red flag that he didn’t let me ask any questions, so we will see what happens next.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

At the moment I have a daily half hour call, a three times a week "mandatory catch up", two sets of appointments added as "reminders to submit status updates", multiple hour plus calls during the week and a once weekly "management summary" call all on the same project and typically, only half an hour of any of it is of any use but if I dare to not attend them I start getting chased on three different platforms simultaneously about why I'm not there.

That's honestly pretty light for meeting load. About right for what percentage of it has any value.

We are very meeting heavy and I hate it. Half or more of every day.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
A recruiter from Tesla sent me the standard LinkedIn spam for an engineering role at their Fremont facility because they confused battery cells with cell culture. :downs:

I didn't answer, but broadly I think Tesla is one of those companies you couldn't pay me enough to work for. (I mean sure you could; toss down $2M a year and I'd do a year before retiring, but in sense of realistic wages, nope.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sundae posted:

A recruiter from Tesla sent me the standard LinkedIn spam for an engineering role at their Fremont facility because they confused battery cells with cell culture. :downs:

I didn't answer, but broadly I think Tesla is one of those companies you couldn't pay me enough to work for. (I mean sure you could; toss down $2M a year and I'd do a year before retiring, but in sense of realistic wages, nope.)

Any company that is ruled over by a temperamental so called genius deity would be a no go for me that’s for sure.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

Any company that is ruled over by a temperamental so called genius deity would be a no go for me that’s for sure.

The big thing that keeps coming back to me is his refusal to have safety lines painted on the floors at the factory because he thought they looked ugly. The idea of working for someone who would rather maim workers than see something aesthetically displeasing just doesn't cut it for me.

Time for a quick thank-you prayer for lucking into a career / skill-set where I can tell people 'no' without having to go hungry, I think.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sundae posted:

The big thing that keeps coming back to me is his refusal to have safety lines painted on the floors at the factory because he thought they looked ugly. The idea of working for someone who would rather maim workers than see something aesthetically displeasing just doesn't cut it for me.

Time for a quick thank-you prayer for lucking into a career / skill-set where I can tell people 'no' without having to go hungry, I think.

Yeah he doesn’t like the colour yellow, wtf?!? Bizarre.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

That's honestly pretty light for meeting load. About right for what percentage of it has any value.

I'm coming back from a long Easter weekend. Yesterday was a great easy day back to work, because I only had 6 hours of meetings.

Today was sadly a normal day, with 9 hours of meetings.

I had a day last week where I was supposed to be on vacation but worked all day, but kept my calendar clear. It honestly felt like being on vacation.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sundae posted:

Honestly, he seems to combine the worst traits of small business owners and big corporate management. Viewing staff as both disposable, and as serfs who should who should follow him fanatically.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sundae posted:

I’d honestly be more terrified he will blame my group for the cars killing people while he runs off to a non-extradition country

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After Working at Google, I’ll Never Let Myself Love a Job Again

Decent read. Mostly I just really liked this comment:

quote:

I think it's important as a young and talented person to understand what a job fundamentally is. A job is simply a business transaction, where one party exchanges time for money. That's it. That's all it is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
:2bong:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Inner Light posted:

Oh that's just for one project. I'd say in a given day I probably have 6 hours of meetings scheduled :waycool:

The roving PM group I mentioned scheduled a call about their "we signed away a bunch of money to consultants without knowing what we were doing" project and admitted that they didn't actually know what they've paid for and "assumed that it didn't need any IT support" but "we talked with the CTO on this!", so I asked the CTO and he said "nooooo this does not sound like what was talked about I agree this looks like a clusterfuck" so this is going v.well.

Also, "can we avoid setting up a sql server if we use an access database instead?".

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Also, "can we avoid setting up a sql server if we use an access database instead?".

Yeah, and we can avoid this mud puddle by stepping in front of that bus.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, and we can avoid this mud puddle by stepping in front of that bus.

"If you want this doing properly then it'll cost this much because we should use this software"
"Yes but if we just get someone to make it in access and excel it'll be freeeeeeeee"

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thanks IT for forcing a password change, not pushing through the password change for all corporate logins, and then locking me out of my account for using the new password :dance:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dugong posted:

Thanks IT for forcing a password change, not pushing through the password change for all corporate logins, and then locking me out of my account for using the new password :dance:

Sounds like user error to me :colbert: :haw: (I am not IT I am joking)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dugong posted:

Just wait until the password requirements for your login are incompatible with the allowable characters/sizes of passwords for some of your in-network programs. :haw:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sundae posted:

Just wait until the password requirements for your login are incompatible with the allowable characters/sizes of passwords for some of your in-network programs. :haw:

oh yeah wait till your encrypted SSO third party manager is able to read and interact with the password change dialogue of stuff but not the normal login dialogue so it automatically changes your password before you can but then never inputs it so you have to manually enter it every time

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

oh yeah wait till your encrypted SSO third party manager is able to read and interact with the password change dialogue of stuff but not the normal login dialogue so it automatically changes your password before you can but then never inputs it so you have to manually enter it every time

I don't like this show. Let's change the channel. :barf:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
SSO is great.

Especially since I use 4 different SSOs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Renegret posted:

SSO is great.

several signs-on

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Renegret posted:

SSO is great.

Someone in corporate here managed to invent what appears to be some sort of idiot loop from Palo Alto Global Protect to Citrix to Pulse Secure.

- To use Citrix for my job (which is frequent because lol at doing big data on a laptop as opposed to on the native server through the gateway), I have to be connected to the corporate VPN which is now Palo Alto Global Protect.

- I log into Global Protect

- I log into Citrix

- Within Citrix, I have to use the SSO to get to our current file server for my department because it hasn't been migrated to the main corporate directory, which requires me to use the old software which is Pulse

- Using Pulse triggers Global Protect to turn on within the Citrix Gateway because IT updated the virtual environment to default to Global Protect but hasn't removed Pulse because certain servers aren't on there yet

- But I also have to be logged into Global Protect within Citrix to make Office 365 functional for the virtual desktop

- Meaning I have to save the files I'll work on within the remote desktop to the local documents folder (that auto deletes whenever signed out of) while connected to pulse, then connect to Global Protect so I can work on them, then export finished files to the server that prints/ manages completed decks but isn't allowed to have raw client data on it.

Consulting is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

You missed the halcyon days of exactly eight character passwords. HP Unix had an upper limit of 8, and Active Directory had a lower limit of 8. Also, that's why it's called a UnixID.