Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Afriscipio posted:

Why would a sorcerer need to sabotage the party's plans? The wiles and motivations of Tzeentch are beyond mortal comprehension.

That's what I was thinking. That and reporting it to my cult leader (who I obviously plan to kill and replace)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Crossposting from GM questions:

I'm going to run a 2-3 session part of our Warhammer Fantasy 2nd ed campaign, and I want to pull a really unpleasant necromantic plot on my players.

Problem is, I haven't ever really done horror/undeath (save some very emo vampire:tm campaigns in my youth), and I need pointers on how to build suspense and the 'ick' factor.

Loose outline: The halfling mercenary is the most beloved character in the group, and the other players would either follow him out of loyalty or be browbeaten by him if he really sets his mind to something - so I figure his sister is taken by brigands in the service of a necromancer and disappears into the borderlands of Sylvania. The other players are a hedge wizard on the run from the authorities, a former bounty hunter looking for gold, a bretonnian herrimault ('merry man' outlaw type), a dwarven rune apprentice, and my character would be an NPC; he's a woodsman working towards Taal/Rhya priesthood.

Inside a desolate burg close to the border, they meet a quack snake oil doctor whom the halfling already despises (he mentioned once that he's done autopsies on halflings, and that they're 'more full of slime' than other races.), and who seems much less pleased to see them than last time around, where they guarded a coach he rode in.

The idea is that the quack has acquired the Morbidity derangement, and is drawn towards corpses and undeath. Perhaps he has been corrupted by darker forces, or caught up in the delusion that he can live forever by studying the necromantic lore. Whatever the case, he hopes to practice raising the dead without too much interference - and accidentally attracts the attention of Dumitrú Von Carstein, a junior member of the vampire lords who is looking to expand his demesne.

Stuff I'd like to do: Have skeletons unearth themselves while the characters are moving or fleeing, trying to pull them into a bog. See a massive scarecrow made out of some type of bodies, with maggots crawling inside - get the creeps and leave it, only for it to be reanimated later as a huge undead beast trying to wack them.

I'm not sure if introducing a vampire is too much too soon, when I'm handed the reins from the segment we're doing now, the characters probably have barely broken 1,000 XP spent. Perhaps a human necromancer would be more suited. Also, I'm not entirely sure who has the PCs sister hostage, or how to build up a good way to freeing her.

What kind of puzzles or investigation would work up until this part? I think like questioning townspeople would work about people going missing, graves being weird since the quack arrived, but I'd like to work in some unconventional stuff as well.

Any and all feedback welcome!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A hams vampire will happily, nay, gleefully, stand at a safe distance to engage in menacing laughter and proclamations of their utter superiority.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Middenheim pdf is out, you can preorder Archives of the Empire at the same time. They have called their shot at also releasing PbT in a pdf before the end of the year.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/middenheim-city-of-the-white-wolf-pdf-out-now/

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
Hey, I'm playing a wizard in 4e, and I looked around online for tips and tricks to get the most out of it. All of the information I found recommended getting perfect pitch by whatever means necessary, saying that it added to language magick checks. The problem is, I don't understand what in the description provides that bonus. Am I missing something, or has than been errata or what?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Some Talents have Tests associated with them, you get 1 SL for every rank you have in a Talent for those tests.

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003

Badactura posted:

Some Talents have Tests associated with them, you get 1 SL for every rank you have in a Talent for those tests.

Daaaaamn, that's really nice, I think I know what my next endeavor is going to be.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Vyacheslav posted:

Daaaaamn, that's really nice, I think I know what my next endeavor is going to be.

It's the best part of many Talents imo.

Has anyone invented any cheeses for their games? I'm putting together a game in Ostermark where the PCs are rebuilding the family cheese business after much of the province was burned down in a war. I want to give the PCs their old family recipe book and fill it with weird cheese recipes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just finished running Part 2 of the Enemy Within, the beloved Death on the Reik and you know what. I'm not convinced it holds up.

Played it back in the day, running it this time.

There's too much wandering back and forth between locations with often dubious motivation for the PC's and the finale is basically a giant dungeon crawl with a flat ending.

Now obviously I added stuff, motivations, changed things etc etc. It was fine, but I was often unimpressed with what I started with.

Even though, it has a few clunky 'this has to happen' moments I think Shadow over Bogenhafen was more open once you reached the titular town and had more interesting play.

Hopefully the next part, which should be more town based, will be back to being more interesting.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Death on the Reiks weakness is that it’s seen as the most complete of the Enemy Within, Shadows over Bogenhafen was always a bit short and Power Behind the Throne is challenging to run so there were obvious avenues to change there, but DotR doesn’t have a major shortcoming to target, so it mostly went through unchanged.

Also I’m not sure the Elite style trading gameplay is as much of a draw as it was back then with modern player sensibilities. The lack of things for players to buy after the first 20GC is an issue that is slowly being addressed.

That said Middenheim and Archives are both out in pdf and have some nice content that I need to have a proper read of and Power Behind the Throne is planned for before Christmas.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah it was great back in the day, I just think it's aged badly.

Like going back to some PC game you loved back in the day, and finding design and gameplay has moved on.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

https://www.cubicle7games.com/power-behind-the-throne-pdf-out-now/

Power Behind the Throne out in pdf

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Running a group through Shadows Over Bogenhafen and during the investigation they could tell something was up with Magirius but they weren't sure what, so they did the logical thing: try to abduct him from his office in broad daylight for enhanced interrogation at a secondary location (TBD).

Shame about Bogenhafen but at least we'll get a head start on Death On The Reik next session.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Down With People posted:

Running a group through Shadows Over Bogenhafen and during the investigation they could tell something was up with Magirius but they weren't sure what, so they did the logical thing: try to abduct him from his office in broad daylight for enhanced interrogation at a secondary location (TBD).

Shame about Bogenhafen but at least we'll get a head start on Death On The Reik next session.
If they obtain/steal a barge as a getaway vehicle all the better...

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Down With People posted:

There is a joy to the havoc a poorly conceived PC plan can engender, you do occasionally need to take a moment to figure out what should happen next....did Bogenhafen explode?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still wanna play a heroic Skaven one of these days.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still wanna play a heroic Skaven one of these days.

I think the only way to do that and not just have it being a constant headache for the GM is to have a mutant Skaven who is basically a werehuman and only reverts to Skaven form when Morrselib is full.

Or I guess a gutter runner who is always sneaking around in stealth that no other npc notices.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alternately just change a few things to make it possible. Skaven raised by humans helping out a Witch Hunter who is open to unusual methods as part of their elite anti nazi rat team or something. You can justify all kinds of fun stuff with a little work.

E: The two important things to remember to write a Heroic Skaven story is that Skaven are sentient creatures, so it's always possible to have one betray the under-empire or decide to act differently than usual and fall in with some unusually open-minded humans. Skaven are already portrayed as putting on cute little hoods and pretending to be humans to infiltrate cities. Does that strain credulity a little that they wouldn't be noticed? Maybe, either leave it be or play it for comedy. Alternately you can alter the setting a little and just write in that there are Skaven who aren't part of the Under Empire, or add in Skaven rebel groups who are a mixture of idealists and deposed, annoyed losers in the eternal Skaven power struggles. There are all kinds of little ways you could bend and twist things to make it work, and the most important thing is since you want it to work and you're presumably writing the story or playing the character with a GM open to doing that, you can thus make it work.

Never be afraid to change stuff! You can make anything you want work because you're writing fiction and you can always bend things to make it fit in.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 23, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Night10194 posted:

Alternately just change a few things to make it possible. Skaven raised by humans helping out a Witch Hunter who is open to unusual methods as part of their elite anti nazi rat team or something. You can justify all kinds of fun stuff with a little work.

Isnt this one of the Gotrek and Felix stories (with a more positive twist i suppose)?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Fantasy isn't 40k and isn't as built on 'we kill everything unusual on sight'. Plus, if you're going with 'people don't know the Skaven' people don't necessarily know the weird pet/critter the party is carting around is part of a grand underground rat nazi empire. Adventurers are already weirdos who use unusual methods to deal with unusual problems. Having a pet rat that your wizard or priest insists is a totally normal adventurer mascot thing is also perfectly in line with the setting's kind of bumbling-through comedy sometimes. Especially if everyone then grumbles about the wizard and not the 'harmless' pet rat.

"Look, if that was a *bad* rat, would my small but vicious dog be okay with him? Nothing to worry about here."

E: Hell, there's even a joke to be made there about how ratcatchers were the origin of the modern 'fancy' rat because they domesticated them to sell as pets or performing animals. "Oh yeah, this? This is fine, this is onna them fancy Skavens, 'e's tame."

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 23, 2021

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Now I'm liking the idea of a "fancy skaven" in top hat and spats, with a sword cane.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

marshmallow creep posted:

Now I'm liking the idea of a "fancy skaven" in top hat and spats, with a sword cane.

Me too, it's amazin.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

HidaO-Win posted:

There is a joy to the havoc a poorly conceived PC plan can engender, you do occasionally need to take a moment to figure out what should happen next....did Bogenhafen explode?

Well, it depends on what they feel like they can get away with next session. If they have second thoughts about leaving without solving the mystery then I'm okay with them trying to figure out how to stay low in town. Otherwise in a couple of days when they're faffing about in Weissbruck or whatever they'll see a huge beacon of blue-purple light from over Bogenhafen's way.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Down With People posted:

Well, it depends on what they feel like they can get away with next session. If they have second thoughts about leaving without solving the mystery then I'm okay with them trying to figure out how to stay low in town. Otherwise in a couple of days when they're faffing about in Weissbruck or whatever they'll see a huge beacon of blue-purple light from over Bogenhafen's way.

Sweet, let us know how they get on. If you want to tease them into fighting on have Gideon pull some shapeshifting shenanigans that implicate them in some minor crime or just plane taunt them.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
After about six months of sporadic play, finally retired my Rat Catcher so he can go live a life of decadence and luxury with the final takings.

Made a High Elf Wizard of Chamon, seems like it'll be a lot of fun melting armour and AOEing the new friends.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Does anyone have any advice for how exactly to build a Vampire PC in 2e, like they start off as some poor schmoe who just got bit the night before and woke up undead?

e: thanks Night for having that spelled out in one of your F&Fs, managed to answer my own question.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 20, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Big Altdorf book is out.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/wfrp-altdorf-out-now/

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They're starting to put these out at a decent clip!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, are there any new careers in there? I love seeing new careers

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hostile V posted:

Does anyone have any advice for how exactly to build a Vampire PC in 2e, like they start off as some poor schmoe who just got bit the night before and woke up undead?

e: thanks Night for having that spelled out in one of your F&Fs, managed to answer my own question.

Lol. But yeah, you basically just overlay the Vampire Template and then get into Thrall as fast as you goddamn can because until you do you are thirsty thirsty thirsty.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Death on the Reik Foundry Vtt module is out too. Will be nice to finally get around to playing it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dishwasherlove posted:

Death on the Reik Foundry Vtt module is out too. Will be nice to finally get around to playing it.

Foundry is for sure the best way to play Warhammer Fantasy 4e.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
my players want me to DM WFRP.

What's a good edition? I tend to veer towards more of the OSR-style stuff, I like simple rulesets you can build upon. The only literal things I know about WHFRP is:
- small but vicious dog meme
- 3e is bad
- there's a retroclone called Zweihander

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm running 2e right now and I enjoy it quite a lot; it's very much a solved game in a lot of ways in the sense that a lot of the community has figured out ways to patch problems and sand off the sharp edges so it runs more smoothly, but honestly that helps me out immensely. I previously ran 4e and was enamored with it but the bookkeeping for character advancement was too much (it really helps in 2e that you can just ignore the concept of EXP and say people can take advances) and while I like the advantage system in combat, it reminds me a lot of D&D 4e in having to keep track of modifiers and moving parts.

If you like simple rulesets you can build upon, do not play Zweihander.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Hostile V posted:

I'm running 2e right now and I enjoy it quite a lot; it's very much a solved game in a lot of ways in the sense that a lot of the community has figured out ways to patch problems and sand off the sharp edges so it runs more smoothly, but honestly that helps me out immensely. I previously ran 4e and was enamored with it but the bookkeeping for character advancement was too much (it really helps in 2e that you can just ignore the concept of EXP and say people can take advances) and while I like the advantage system in combat, it reminds me a lot of D&D 4e in having to keep track of modifiers and moving parts.

If you like simple rulesets you can build upon, do not play Zweihander.

2e is the way to go?
Edit: Yes yes this is good good.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 8, 2021

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I will second the 'probably not Zweihander' recommendation. I backed its KS wanting a WFRP retroclone and while it is thematically that, the rules have migrated so far afield that it's another game entirely, and not one I really care for.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Would it be in COMPLETELY bad taste to advertise my own game here? WFRP in zero edition, nor Zweihander, is what I'd call "a simple system you can build on", but I myself developed a game so I could play "Shitfarmers In Mud City vs. The Overwhelming Odds" type games like those without much in the way of mechanical busywork, and it's intended to be built on.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
4e definitely has some pros but as mentioned, the character advancement is a bit of a nightmare. It tries to walk the line between class based and freeform but ends up doing neither very well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I don't mind the character advancement personally, I like a slow-burn, however combat is very complex and causes a lot of slowdown in my games (though that could be an issue of how foundry handles combat as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

my players want me to DM WFRP.

What's a good edition? I tend to veer towards more of the OSR-style stuff, I like simple rulesets you can build upon. The only literal things I know about WHFRP is:
- small but vicious dog meme
- 3e is bad

Who told you that? It's loving incredible.