Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

xtal posted:

This thread and the amber one is a real one-two punch. They were just hating on Kids Help Phone over there and here you're just bullying kids directly!

Actually we're making fun of adult artists who want to chat with kids online about crypto and join their clubhouse discussions.

https://twitter.com/ohotnig/status/1379032942903758850

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

Actually we're making fun of adult artists who want to chat with kids online about crypto and join their clubhouse discussions.

https://twitter.com/ohotnig/status/1379032942903758850

Hey, don't you go suggesting to xtal that if they actually read the thing they're posting about they'd come to a reasonable conclusion about it instead of some half-mumbled insanity

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/CanaryMugume/status/1379065578300837891
https://www.complex.com/music/akon-..._source=twitter
AKON TO BUILD AKON CITY IN UGANDA BY 2036. THE GOVERNMENT OF UGANDA HAS AGREED TO ALLOCATE HIM LAND OF THE SIZE OF 1 SQUARE MILE. THE CITY WILL OPERATE ON AKOIN CURRENCY, A STELLAR-BASED CRYPTOCURRENCY.

AKO̗̖̦͈̮̜̬͊̍̑ͯ͆͂ͩN̬̘̟͕͙̞ ̻̝͖̏ͨ̇T͙̄Oͦ͂̊̅ͭ̒ ̩̗̠̝͙̰̣ͣ͒̿̆̄ͣ́ḆU̬̯͈̗̰̙ͅİ̱͉̟̮̳̱͋͒͑ͯ̽L̑D ̎̑̒̽A̟̟̞̲ͣ̑̅͛̒ͅKON̒̃͐ ̑ͩ̾̒ͥ̎C̥̜̗̮̻͗ͦ̃̅̚Iͣ̄̆́ͨ̚T̄͒̊Ẏ̓͗ͤ ͕ͧI͈̬͛̂Nͤ U͕͇̻̟͖͓͕̓̃̇̑ͫ̍͊G̟̘͈͚̺A͚ͣN̰͚̠͒́̎ͣͅDͩ̊A͂ͬ̑̋̃̚ ̣͇̑̔B̬͖͔̣͓̖̓̾̂̄̏͛̚ͅY̩̥ ̩ͬ2ͭ̐ͮͫͮ͂ͦ0̪͊3̙̹̰͈͙̾͆ͪ̂̿6̲̌.̣̭ͯ̍ ̮͓̘͈͈̾̏͐̔̇T̝̖ͫͦH̰͔͓̥̀͆͑͗Ẽ́̈͗̽̂ G̙͈̱̟̮̠̥̊͊ͨ̂ͪ̌͋O̦̱̟ͪ̏ͤV̇ͣ͒͊̔̋È͚̺̫̤̣̦̤̈̓͗̓͋̇R̝ͣNM̞͎̩͉̘̫E̍͗N̠̥̬̣̊̅̈ͦT͔̤̃̒ ͈̘̹̠̥̞ͪ̎ͩ̐̆ͣO̮̚F͈͔ͥ͐ ͮͣ̎͆̈̈Ű̯Ǧ̫̳͕̦͕̿͌ͯͭA̻͔̱̓̎͌N̼͔͔̹̤͔D̒ͧ̓͊͒Å̼̣͉̻͙̭̜̔ͩ̿͌̂̊ ͎͔ͥ͆H̹̥̞͔̘͂͗̂̓̑A̪̜̟͉̅̌͒ͯS̫̲̰ͭ͊̃ AĜ̜̩̑R̫̜͔ͫ̌̚Ė̱E̮̩̜͈D̙̘̞̣̠͕ͅ ̪T͍̥͍͓̺̔ͣ͂ͭͮO̻̻͇̊ͮ̔ ̇ͯAL͎͚̼͔̹̩͉̆̊̀̄͑̀̇L̙̗̄͛OĊḀ̱̖͚͍͓̈̂̀̓̊̚TE ̃͒ͩ͋̎ͦ̚HIM̋ͤ L̖̲͆͒Ḁ̞̋ͥN͊͋̽D̯̥̰ ̹̙̼̖̲͂̌͛́ͣO̥̪͈ͫ͋̂F͓̬͍͓̜̬̋̎̃̾ͮͯͣͅ ̝̚T̙̰͔̩̝̻̙͑̐ͦ͂̋̍̑H͓̹̯̥̦̻Ě͆̚ ͒ͧ̏̍͒S̬̤͙̝ͭ͊̎̇̉ͅI͚͎̳̱̒̓̄̆ZE̟̝͚͙̝ͬ̉̒͒͊ ̽͑̽̈́̋Ọ́F ̩1̒̐̀ͧͨͯ SQ̬͙̳̰̝̠ͮ̈̈́ͣͭ̇̚ͅŮ͓̲̻̳̓̐ͦA̺̫͌̑R͑ͭ̆̾E͔͉͉̥̭ͅ ͬ̓M̹̲̫̟͖̲̫̓̏͌ͦ̈́̀́IL̙͖̗̤̬̘͆̓͐́ͮ̈E̙̘̓ͥ.̟͚̩̖̪ͬ̌ͮ͌ͮ ̫̼́̾Ť̝͚̤͉̹̞̓͛ͣ͑͑H̦̫͕͓̗̰̐̐̇ͯ̇̊Ė̳͍̱̟̼̻̙̓ͥͭ̀ͦ̄ ̍͒ͯͥͭ͊̚C͚͐ITY̾̔̒͂̈́̇̇ ̰͕̟̯͎̬͌̑̉ͮ̍͋WḮ̝͍̱ͯ̇̄ͅL͉̠̮Ḷ̹̱̹̽ͧ̐̐ ̗̲̫̱̦̪̳̓ͧ̄ͯ͋̃̚OP͕͉͙̮̪Ėͦ̏͑ͧ͂R͎͉̞̰̮͚̈́͆̋̓̐̾A̫̐T͗Ėͯͨͤ̀ ̹̖̓ͫ̈ͅON A̬̪̾ͬͬͅK̺ͧO̒͒͊̎Ȉ͖̰͗N̋ ̄͗̍ͣ̽̀͂C͗̎̽̋͐U͂̌͐̇R͔͕̭͉̼̳͌̎ͭ̊ͨ̌͊ͅRͦ͊̓ͯ̀̌Ȇͯͭ̽ͪN͓͔͓̻̑̊ͩ̂C͔̻̫͇Y,̏ ̺̖̱̖̼̬̏ͯͪ̄̄̿A̰̝ ͆̋̆ST̺Eͦ̈ͧͮ̈͂̆L̤̣̆̂L̼̝͍̆̿͋AR-̰̥̘͎B̲̰̩͚͉͖̱̐ͯͧ̽̐̍̈A̅̑ͩ̐͐͂ͤSͭ̆̓ͥ̇̆E̙ͪḒ͕̺̻̽ͣͧͨ ̫͚̪̬͍ͯͮ̈́ͮͦC͍̞̫̙̠̮̰ͧ͒ͬ͒ͨͧ̽RY̲̓P͉͎̝͋̋͆T͖̮͖͓̥̿͆̋ͣͫO͉̺C̼̘̭̔̏͊Ú͚̭̲͉̭͓ͩͨ̊ͯ̎RR̙̟̞͇͔̩E̲̲͊ͯ̿ͅN̫͙̗͗̀̑C͙̗̲̗͇ͅY̳̰̻͙͚̤͍ͬ͂ͩ͐ͭͪ͂.̰̪̞̦̅ͬ̍͋

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Oh man, I just realized that this is the second city he's trying to build. The first one is in Senegal (the one that has been using renders that look like Wakanda to promote itself), and apparently it is starting construction this year and supposed to be done in 3 years. I guess we'll know then if this thing is another Fyre Festival or not.

https://twitter.com/nbstv/status/1379089796904144902

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm not sure if that's the guy from Jurassic Park or V for Vendetta, so I'll split the difference and say this city of the future will be populated by snooty talking dinosaurs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ah another planned community that will go down in the annals of libertarian trainwrecks that get reclaimed by nature. It won't be bears this time, maybe lions?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1379642593844326400

lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

https://twitter.com/CanaryMugume/status/1379065578300837891
https://www.complex.com/music/akon-..._source=twitter
AKON TO BUILD AKON CITY IN UGANDA BY 2036. THE GOVERNMENT OF UGANDA HAS AGREED TO ALLOCATE HIM LAND OF THE SIZE OF 1 SQUARE MILE. THE CITY WILL OPERATE ON AKOIN CURRENCY, A STELLAR-BASED CRYPTOCURRENCY.

AKO̗̖̦͈̮̜̬͊̍̑ͯ͆͂ͩN̬̘̟͕͙̞ ̻̝͖̏ͨ̇T͙̄Oͦ͂̊̅ͭ̒ ̩̗̠̝͙̰̣ͣ͒̿̆̄ͣ́ḆU̬̯͈̗̰̙ͅİ̱͉̟̮̳̱͋͒͑ͯ̽L̑D ̎̑̒̽A̟̟̞̲ͣ̑̅͛̒ͅKON̒̃͐ ̑ͩ̾̒ͥ̎C̥̜̗̮̻͗ͦ̃̅̚Iͣ̄̆́ͨ̚T̄͒̊Ẏ̓͗ͤ ͕ͧI͈̬͛̂Nͤ U͕͇̻̟͖͓͕̓̃̇̑ͫ̍͊G̟̘͈͚̺A͚ͣN̰͚̠͒́̎ͣͅDͩ̊A͂ͬ̑̋̃̚ ̣͇̑̔B̬͖͔̣͓̖̓̾̂̄̏͛̚ͅY̩̥ ̩ͬ2ͭ̐ͮͫͮ͂ͦ0̪͊3̙̹̰͈͙̾͆ͪ̂̿6̲̌.̣̭ͯ̍ ̮͓̘͈͈̾̏͐̔̇T̝̖ͫͦH̰͔͓̥̀͆͑͗Ẽ́̈͗̽̂ G̙͈̱̟̮̠̥̊͊ͨ̂ͪ̌͋O̦̱̟ͪ̏ͤV̇ͣ͒͊̔̋È͚̺̫̤̣̦̤̈̓͗̓͋̇R̝ͣNM̞͎̩͉̘̫E̍͗N̠̥̬̣̊̅̈ͦT͔̤̃̒ ͈̘̹̠̥̞ͪ̎ͩ̐̆ͣO̮̚F͈͔ͥ͐ ͮͣ̎͆̈̈Ű̯Ǧ̫̳͕̦͕̿͌ͯͭA̻͔̱̓̎͌N̼͔͔̹̤͔D̒ͧ̓͊͒Å̼̣͉̻͙̭̜̔ͩ̿͌̂̊ ͎͔ͥ͆H̹̥̞͔̘͂͗̂̓̑A̪̜̟͉̅̌͒ͯS̫̲̰ͭ͊̃ AĜ̜̩̑R̫̜͔ͫ̌̚Ė̱E̮̩̜͈D̙̘̞̣̠͕ͅ ̪T͍̥͍͓̺̔ͣ͂ͭͮO̻̻͇̊ͮ̔ ̇ͯAL͎͚̼͔̹̩͉̆̊̀̄͑̀̇L̙̗̄͛OĊḀ̱̖͚͍͓̈̂̀̓̊̚TE ̃͒ͩ͋̎ͦ̚HIM̋ͤ L̖̲͆͒Ḁ̞̋ͥN͊͋̽D̯̥̰ ̹̙̼̖̲͂̌͛́ͣO̥̪͈ͫ͋̂F͓̬͍͓̜̬̋̎̃̾ͮͯͣͅ ̝̚T̙̰͔̩̝̻̙͑̐ͦ͂̋̍̑H͓̹̯̥̦̻Ě͆̚ ͒ͧ̏̍͒S̬̤͙̝ͭ͊̎̇̉ͅI͚͎̳̱̒̓̄̆ZE̟̝͚͙̝ͬ̉̒͒͊ ̽͑̽̈́̋Ọ́F ̩1̒̐̀ͧͨͯ SQ̬͙̳̰̝̠ͮ̈̈́ͣͭ̇̚ͅŮ͓̲̻̳̓̐ͦA̺̫͌̑R͑ͭ̆̾E͔͉͉̥̭ͅ ͬ̓M̹̲̫̟͖̲̫̓̏͌ͦ̈́̀́IL̙͖̗̤̬̘͆̓͐́ͮ̈E̙̘̓ͥ.̟͚̩̖̪ͬ̌ͮ͌ͮ ̫̼́̾Ť̝͚̤͉̹̞̓͛ͣ͑͑H̦̫͕͓̗̰̐̐̇ͯ̇̊Ė̳͍̱̟̼̻̙̓ͥͭ̀ͦ̄ ̍͒ͯͥͭ͊̚C͚͐ITY̾̔̒͂̈́̇̇ ̰͕̟̯͎̬͌̑̉ͮ̍͋WḮ̝͍̱ͯ̇̄ͅL͉̠̮Ḷ̹̱̹̽ͧ̐̐ ̗̲̫̱̦̪̳̓ͧ̄ͯ͋̃̚OP͕͉͙̮̪Ėͦ̏͑ͧ͂R͎͉̞̰̮͚̈́͆̋̓̐̾A̫̐T͗Ėͯͨͤ̀ ̹̖̓ͫ̈ͅON A̬̪̾ͬͬͅK̺ͧO̒͒͊̎Ȉ͖̰͗N̋ ̄͗̍ͣ̽̀͂C͗̎̽̋͐U͂̌͐̇R͔͕̭͉̼̳͌̎ͭ̊ͨ̌͊ͅRͦ͊̓ͯ̀̌Ȇͯͭ̽ͪN͓͔͓̻̑̊ͩ̂C͔̻̫͇Y,̏ ̺̖̱̖̼̬̏ͯͪ̄̄̿A̰̝ ͆̋̆ST̺Eͦ̈ͧͮ̈͂̆L̤̣̆̂L̼̝͍̆̿͋AR-̰̥̘͎B̲̰̩͚͉͖̱̐ͯͧ̽̐̍̈A̅̑ͩ̐͐͂ͤSͭ̆̓ͥ̇̆E̙ͪḒ͕̺̻̽ͣͧͨ ̫͚̪̬͍ͯͮ̈́ͮͦC͍̞̫̙̠̮̰ͧ͒ͬ͒ͨͧ̽RY̲̓P͉͎̝͋̋͆T͖̮͖͓̥̿͆̋ͣͫO͉̺C̼̘̭̔̏͊Ú͚̭̲͉̭͓ͩͨ̊ͯ̎RR̙̟̞͇͔̩E̲̲͊ͯ̿ͅN̫͙̗͗̀̑C͙̗̲̗͇ͅY̳̰̻͙͚̤͍ͬ͂ͩ͐ͭͪ͂.̰̪̞̦̅ͬ̍͋

Same government that was going to evict an entire island for a North Korean weapons and drugs lab in The Mole.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have bought pot seeds ysing btc within the last year because the cost savings made it worth loving with buying crypto on coinbase

The seed vendor had the same half hour window and both times i did this out was all confirmed within five minutes.

Have transaction times gotten catastrophicly worse in the past year?

Bitcoin is literally built and designed, and has always been built and designed, to not guarantee a block in five minutes, let alone enough confirmations to be trusted

Thats if your transaction is in the next block at all, which given that there are 87 entire full blocks of unconfirmed transactions waiting to be included right at this moment, is unlikely.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/BlockBytch_/status/1379536375926546433?s=20

The coiners are raving about Coinbase's new revenue report they released before their IPO, talking up the insane numbers. But it seems like that is really showing that bitcoin prices are about to drop, as the prices have been flat ever since the end of that quarter, and there aren't going to be any more stimulus checks for computer touchers to throw at things like bitcoin and Gamestop stock. The open question seems to be far more if this is the lead-up to another 2018-style crash, or a 2019-style yearlong (relatively) flat market.

EDIT:

In short...

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 7, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The open question seems to be far more if this is the lead-up to another 2018-style crash, or a 2019-style yearlong (relatively) flat market.

you forgot the third possibility: that it will go up Up UP

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When NFTs were blowing up I unfollowed a bunch of artists who were doing drops. Now I'm seeing other artists like their work and I'm going "wait was this person involved in NFTs?" But they've scrubbed all evidence of NFT involvement from their online presence. Either they realized shilling their NFTs on twitter wasn't helping sell them, or they stopped selling completely once the crash started, or they actually regret getting involved in NFTs and just didn't know about the environmental impact and grifter nature of the whole space a few weeks ago.

But it vindicates those of us who were saying this was a fad and a lot of artists would come crawling back to the greater community after the bottom fell out of the market, as opposed to morons like Mohrbacher who seem to believe NFTs will replace every form on contract on earth (that guy is still doing drops because he's a true believer.)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Bright Bart posted:

From what I gather Coinbase tracks where your coins end up. That's why people talk about transferring between multiple wallets (and presumably losing BTC in the process) as well as "tumbling". Although I doubt store that sells seeds will have a flagged address.

Yeah; I don't give a poo poo in this case, I was literally only using crypto to save money (25% off a $200+ order). Pot is legal here and I can buy seeds down the road at the store and there's zero enforcement activity happening related to seeds.

If there's a big risk vector it's to the US based redistributors taking bulk shipments from overseas and then splitting them up, and even there I bet the big risk is just having your seeds seized. As an individual buyer you might get a nasty letter from customs but I've never heard of that happening post 2010.

LanceHunter posted:

The coiners are raving about Coinbase's new revenue report ... Gamestop stock. ....

the markets seem completely unhinged from reality in a way I've never seen before and I feel like whatever crash comes, in hindsight, will be called "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (to where numberrr go dowwwwwwn)"

One of my friends makes like $22,000 a year at a bullshit job and managed to make $17,000 profit off gamestop :allears:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ccs posted:

Ah another planned community that will go down in the annals of libertarian trainwrecks that get reclaimed by nature. It won't be bears this time, maybe lions?

Some rear end in a top hat will import kodiaks just because no one wants to regulate animal transport.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

the markets seem completely unhinged from reality in a way I've never seen before and I feel like whatever crash comes, in hindsight, will be called "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (to where numberrr go dowwwwwwn)"

One of my friends makes like $22,000 a year at a bullshit job and managed to make $17,000 profit off gamestop :allears:

I predict it'll be called the "Tesla Crisis", as it will likely be similar in nature to the Enron Crisis (a case where there was lots of fraudulent accounting in various different areas all collapsing in on itself, but named after the company that fell the furthest and was the most exemplary of the problem).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said it before, I'll say it again: The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain alive.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
whatever any of us predicts, what actually happens will be far stupider.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

I predict it'll be called the "Tesla Crisis", as it will likely be similar in nature to the Enron Crisis (a case where there was lots of fraudulent accounting in various different areas all collapsing in on itself, but named after the company that fell the furthest and was the most exemplary of the problem).

Tesla is wildly overvalued, but selling regulatory credits and autopilot upgrades that don't work seems like a solid business for now.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

LanceHunter posted:

The coiners are raving about Coinbase's new revenue report they released before their IPO, talking up the insane numbers. But it seems like that is really showing that bitcoin prices are about to drop, as the prices have been flat ever since the end of that quarter, and there aren't going to be any more stimulus checks for computer touchers to throw at things like bitcoin and Gamestop stock. The open question seems to be far more if this is the lead-up to another 2018-style crash, or a 2019-style yearlong (relatively) flat market.

EDIT:

In short...

'be your own bank with bitcoin!'

*centralized bitcoin bank posts record revenue*

'this is great for bitcoin!'

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

That's just because you're exposed to more coverage. The markets have consistently been just as crazy, and often more so, since the invention of financial markets.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain alive.

There is an old saying among us coiners: good times can last longer than doomers and pessimists can remain alive. Makes you think

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

There is an old saying among us coiners: good times can last longer than doomers and pessimists can remain alive. Makes you think

I think that's an old saying in Tennessee as well.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

PIZZA.BAT posted:

'be your own bank with bitcoin!'

*centralized bitcoin bank posts record revenue*

'this is great for bitcoin!'

Coinbase isn't a bank, it's an exchange.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

salt shakeup posted:

Yet Coinbase holds over 1 million BTC in its own wallets on behalf of its users. If a single financial institution held over 1/21th of every single dollar that could ever exist, the fact that they were an exchange and not a bank would be considered fairly irrelevant. (Though I guess it matters to Coinbase, as they have no need to ever pay any interest on the bitcoin they are holding, and instead get to charge fees on every transaction that happens with them.)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

salt shakeup posted:

An exchange that holds most of the cryptocurrency it sells. Which actually makes me curious, is there any other type of market where exchanges typically hold what is bought for the buyer and charge a fee if you want to move it outside the exchange.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 8, 2021

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Random Stranger posted:

The lovely tactics in the film (which made changes from the book to make them worse) have bothered me for twenty years.
On the subject if you haven't read these they are a historian writing about the battles in the books and the movies. Well worth a read if that kind of thing is interesting to you.
Helms Deep
Siege of Gondor

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bright Bart posted:

Which actually makes me curious, is there any type of market where exchanges typically hold what is bought for the buyer and charge a fee if you want to move it outside the exchange.
bucket shops

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Bright Bart posted:

An exchange that holds most of the cryptocurrency it sells. Which actually makes me curious, is there any type of market where exchanges typically hold what is bought for the buyer and charge a fee if you want to move it outside the exchange.

Robinhood does this.

Bright Bart posted:

I don't imagine buying oil is like "Thank you for your purchase! You now own 10,000 barrels of crude. Delivery date? What do you mean?! It's safely in our warehouses. Where? Oh we have warehouses all over the world. You want the lot number? Oh well you don't actually own ten thousand specific barrels. Most customers just keep their oil in our warehouses until they decide to sell it back to us; but if you must we can transfer to your own warehouse. There would be a hefty fee though."

?? Weird. Anyway you can transfer coins out of Coinbase for free just pay the bitcoin transfer fee (<$2).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

salt shakeup posted:

Coinbase defeats the entire point of bitcoin. They're like the github of bitcoin if the source code was also all your money. Fight me.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

salt shakeup posted:

Robinhood does this.

?? Weird. Anyway you can transfer coins out of Coinbase for free just pay the bitcoin transfer fee (<$2).

The current bitcoin transaction fee is averaging $19. So after you pay Coinbase a fee to buy your bitcoin, you are then also paying the bitcoin network a separate fee to move your bitcoin away from Coinbase. And some of the Coinbase fees can be pretty nuts (3.99% for debit card purchases!?!?!).

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Short form: "Number go up."

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

xtal posted:

Coinbase defeats the entire point of bitcoin.

I beg to differ:

It might have been different before, but for quite a long time the main point of Bitcoin/Crypto/Tokens/Blockchain/Distributed Ledger Technology has been to get VC money.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm all for people pointing at holes in bitcoin but if you think we're going to see a significant price correction in the middle of potential partial adoption, you're going to miss the next 12 months.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

potential partial adoption,

lol

buttcoin

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I sometimes wonder what you could ever possibly say to a person who made Bitcoin money and honestly, truthfully, 100% believes they are smarter than everyone else because of it.

Like there has to be some series of words, sounds, or gestures that might inspire some amount of critical thought about a windfall but I’m at a loss.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

jokes posted:

I sometimes wonder what you could ever possibly say to a person who made Bitcoin money and honestly, truthfully, 100% believes they are smarter than everyone else because of it.

Like there has to be some series of words, sounds, or gestures that might inspire some amount of critical thought about a windfall but I’m at a loss.

Why would you want to?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

Define a meaningful difference

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Coinbase is a tiny hat.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

jokes posted:

They'd be natural hoarders who got lucky. Nothing more. If they managed to hold this long theoretically they will never sell until it reaches some number.
I don't think it's superiority but a lot of people are stupid and that includes the people who think they are smarter. Dunning Kruger is a hell of a thing.

The flip side is fear, people afraid of change and either fight it or secretly accept it but verbally state otherwise.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm all for people pointing at holes in bitcoin but if you think we're going to see a significant price correction in the middle of potential partial adoption, you're going to miss the next 12 months.

If anything, the "potential partial adoption" increases the risk of a large correction. Bitcoin prices have been flat (at least, as flat as something as volatile as bitcoin can be) for almost a month now, after peaking on March 13th. All those folks who bought in recently (the people who gave Coinbase those insane Q1 revenue numbers), they were expecting to ride the rocketship. Instead, they've been stuck in the same general price range. Without the feeling that they are going to see additional gains, there's not much reason to continue buying more bitcoin. It's not like they're going to use the bitcoin for anything. Eventually a lot of those people will get bored. They'll decide they want a bigger TV or they want to make a down payment on a new car and they'll sell their bitcoin to get cash they can actually use. Then if more people are selling than buying, we'll see prices start to drop, and that will precipitate even more selling.

Remember, it was about 1 month of relatively-flat prices after the December 2017 peak that lead to the massive crash of 2018.