Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Xinder posted:

All the other threads feel too specific so I'll just ask here in the chat thread:

Looking for a game to buy my wife for her birthday (which is in September so I have plenty of time). She specifically asked for a complicated game involving cards. I know how much she loves really complex games like Gloomhaven, so simplicity is actually a point against her enjoyment. She seems really intent on it being mostly a card game and that leaves me kinda lost. I was looking at Arkham Horror, but I don't know about the whole LCG thing. It feels like it might be a consistent money sink instead of a game you buy and play for months on end before needing an expansion or anything like that. Maybe Gloomhaven spoiled me in that regard. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how LCGs work?

Any advice on this front? Sorting by weight on boardgamegeek just gets me games that only have one review so it hasn't been the most helpful.

LCGs are, in theory, less of a consistent money sink than traditional TCGs, although I've found that once they go on for a bit they have higher buy-in costs. I don't know too many board games, tbh, but there's a lot of deckbuilders out there. Does she consider those too simple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The obvious answer is Frosthaven, if you can get it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Xinder posted:

All the other threads feel too specific so I'll just ask here in the chat thread:

Looking for a game to buy my wife for her birthday (which is in September so I have plenty of time). She specifically asked for a complicated game involving cards. I know how much she loves really complex games like Gloomhaven, so simplicity is actually a point against her enjoyment. She seems really intent on it being mostly a card game and that leaves me kinda lost. I was looking at Arkham Horror, but I don't know about the whole LCG thing. It feels like it might be a consistent money sink instead of a game you buy and play for months on end before needing an expansion or anything like that. Maybe Gloomhaven spoiled me in that regard. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how LCGs work?

Any advice on this front? Sorting by weight on boardgamegeek just gets me games that only have one review so it hasn't been the most helpful.
You might try Yomi, although that doesn't have very long individual games.

Do you have any examples of card games she's specifically enjoyed in the past?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

thetoughestbean posted:

LCGs are, in theory, less of a consistent money sink than traditional TCGs, although I've found that once they go on for a bit they have higher buy-in costs. I don't know too many board games, tbh, but there's a lot of deckbuilders out there. Does she consider those too simple?

We haven't really played any deck builders to be honest. We took a look at Dominion but she thought it would be too simple for her to get invested in.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The obvious answer is Frosthaven, if you can get it.

We aren't actually done with the base game yet but yeah that's definitely going to happen at some point.

Nessus posted:

You might try Yomi, although that doesn't have very long individual games.

Do you have any examples of card games she's specifically enjoyed in the past?

"Does Gwent count?"

I'm honestly not sure why she's so keen on it being a card game this time, but I'm rolling with it. Yomi seems interesting though and I'm gonna show it to her when she's free to see if it hits what she wants. Thanks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yomi is literally rock paper scissors but good, so I don’t think that will scratch her complex card game itch.

It’s good though.

Edit: Also make sure to check out Battlecon for a different spin on the fighting game genre.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Xinder posted:

We haven't really played any deck builders to be honest. We took a look at Dominion but she thought it would be too simple for her to get invested in.

Dominion is definitely not simple. The rules themselves aren't very complicated but because each game plays with 10 randomly selected card types from your library, the real skill of the game is figuring out which of those card types will synergise in a way that's obscenely overpowered -- and that's a new puzzle each time you play.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Though Dominion does suffer from it being a 'multiplayer solitaire' game where you get little-to-no interaction with other players in your card mix and so the game is already won at the moment all the players have looked at the card spread; they just don't know it yet.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Whybird posted:

Dominion is definitely not simple. The rules themselves aren't very complicated but because each game plays with 10 randomly selected card types from your library, the real skill of the game is figuring out which of those card types will synergise in a way that's obscenely overpowered -- and that's a new puzzle each time you play.

Yeah, especially as you start adding in some of the expansions which add dead weight or even negative value cards.
7 wonders might be a good idea too, it's a 'base builder' sort of game that exclusively uses cards*
Each player draws a hand, plays a card from it then passes it on. Each round draws a new hand from a different deck, and the cards combo off of eachother-both in that round and later cards might require resources only available in previous rounds or have synergy with a previous one. 7 wonders also doesn't run into the completionist problem dominion starts to hit where picking which expansions to buy, or what cards to include in a game can get cumbersome.

*technically 7 wonders also has scoring and currency tokens, and you each play as a civilization that gets a cardboard list of some bonuses and extra perks, but the gameplay loop is cards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Parkreiner posted:

This issue is definitely not fixed and is kind of a dealbreaker for me. The power-building system is cool and fun to mess around with and doesn't make my head hurt the way HERO does, but it still doesn't actually work in terms of outputting powers that are implicitly balanced against other powers of the same cost.

Basically, anything exotic or non-combat-focused is going to cost way more than a straightforward "it beats you up" effect: My group's first try at the system was a Read or Die inspired deal where everyone had 1 or a small suite of thematically related powers, and one character invested pretty much all its points into the ability to change the color and opacity of anything he could see, while another spent like 10% on a gun with ten hard dice worth of Stun and could sink the rest into a bunch of hyper-skills and -stats. I kind of don't see the point of going through the whole involved process of calculating how much powers are "worth" if it's not going to prevent that kind of wild disparity... and maybe that's just not possible if combat and non-combat effects are being compared like that.

That said, WT is the game with the infamous "here's how you turn the sun off" sidebar too.
This is what I was getting at earlier. If you're doing a crunchy power simulator you have to silo your powers (or package deal them). Colour changing powers are absolutely something you should able to take, but not by depleting the points pool for hit a guy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xinder posted:

Co-op or competitive?

Co-op:
Legendary Encounters: Alien (and/or predator) for a real good co-op deckbuilder
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-definitive-edition - for co-op Christmas (not a deckbuilder, ships November)

Competitive:
Dominion for the granddaddy of deckbuilders
Star Realms or cthulhu realms for another deckbuilder with lots of card interactions

The Arkham Horror card game is e: not what I was thinking of!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 8, 2021

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'll throw in another vote for 7 Wonders, especially if you get all the expansions. The game can get very complex very quickly and the gameplay loop is both easy to learn and deeply strategic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xinder posted:

"Does Gwent count?"

I'm honestly not sure why she's so keen on it being a card game this time, but I'm rolling with it. Yomi seems interesting though and I'm gonna show it to her when she's free to see if it hits what she wants. Thanks.
Maybe by "a card game" she specifically means a TCG? Or maybe she's looking for something pocket-sized she can carry around. She may have some assumptions about "A card game" that aren't just "has cards".

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Maybe Chrononauts?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If you can find it, Glory to Rome is a very crunchy, reasonably interactive game. Fantastic. Can't recommend it enough.

Because the game is locked in bankruptcy limbo, from the same designer (Carl Chudyk), I've played the very similar Mottonai and really liked it, and I've heard nothing but good things about Innovation but it's apparently vicious for two.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Comedy answer: Get two prebuilt MTG Commander decks. :unsmigghh:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If you're wanting two-player card-based games take a look at Crystal Clans or 7 Wonders Duel

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

thetoughestbean posted:

Arkham's good, but you'll be spending like £80 for a full campaign (campaign box and six scenario packs, optionally a hard/alt mode expansion after that) in addition to the core box.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If 2 player competitive card games are of interest, half of Level 99 games ouvre might fit. BattleCON and Exceed for straight up 1v1 fighting card games and Millenium Blades for a fun card game about card games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also obviously not a birthday present but there's a decent free to play hearthstone clone online CCG called Eternal if she wants to dip her toes into the CCG pool without spending money.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

In the vein of complicated card games, I've honestly been a fan of Seasons. It's kind of like an MtG draft, but with a much smaller subset of cards out of a larger collection, and there's dice rolling involved as well. It's definitely weird to get used to, but once you have it down it's really fun.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Infinity Gaia posted:

If 2 player competitive card games are of interest, half of Level 99 games ouvre might fit. BattleCON and Exceed for straight up 1v1 fighting card games and Millenium Blades for a fun card game about card games.

These are good suggestions.

If a board game with cards is acceptable, get Mage Knight. It's very crunchy, but very very good if you like crunch. It's a deck builder with a board map to move around on.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xinder posted:

Wir sind das Volk is a nice card-driven 2P game that models East/West Germany during the cold war. It's much less rules complexity with weird rules gotchas than twilight struggle but still decently complex with the decision space. Either this or Sekigahara, where cards are used more like poker and you're vying for battlefield domination. Either of these are complete box set games without the need of expansions.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Xinder posted:

Of all the recommendations you've been given, I think Wir sind das Volk, Mage Knight, and maybe Star Realms are the only ones that any of my friends that like Gloomhaven enjoy. So here's a list of really think-y card-based games we tend to like, regardless of overall system complexity. Though you may want to dig a bit deeper into what it is about the card play she likes, because even complex boardgames specifically centered around cards end up using them in so many different ways.

HIGH COMPLEXITY
Food Chain Magnate
Pax Pamir 2nd Edition
Brass: Lancashire / Brass: Birmingham
Cuba Libre
La Granja
Die Macher

MID COMPLEXITY
Concordia
Inis
1960: The Making of the President
Key Flow
Underwater Cities
Shogun (2006) / Wallenstein

LOW COMPLEXITY
Arboretum (Like grandma's trick-taking card game if it were a knife fight in a phonebooth)
Bruges
Broom Service
Nusfjord
The Quest for El Dorado
Fantasy Realms
Piepmatz (2018)
Tiefe Taschen
High Society

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Wir sind das Volk
Hwoof that has kind of become an unfortunate name I'm sad to have to say, in the late 80s it was the parole of peaceful protesters against the oppressive East German government but now it's more the parole of right-wingers who specifically want to invoke the image of peaceful protesters against the oppressive German government that acts against the will and best interest of the people (i.e. obviously the white people)

I mean, nothing wrong with using it per se, and especially in a clear cold war context, but it's the old dilemma of how you keep the fascists from occupying symbols while actively refraining from using the same symbols as the fascists.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

JMBosch posted:

A sampling of excellent taste

I would like to be friends with your friends.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

CitizenKeen posted:

I would like to be friends with your friends.

Parts of the Vancouver, BC boardgame scene can be :kiss: if you find the right people. But then I had to move away...

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005

Xinder posted:

I'm going to throw in a suggestion of Millennium Blades. It's a simulation of tournament level play of a fictional CCG. It alternates phases of buying cards from stores and the aftermarket, trades, deck building and collecting, with phases of playing in a tournament against the other players.

I've only played it twice so far, but I've really enjoyed it, the base set comes with lots of card sets that aren't always used, like Dominion, but the deck building aspect is a lot more of a free for all and has a lot of different things to think about and do in a limited time. So the rules aren't particularly complex, but the player interactions and choices can be.

There is a bit of a parody element, but that's only in the theme-ing of the cards, not mechanically. It's not a "humor" game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gonna throw out Thunderstone Quest. It's thematically a fantasy game about building a party of adventurers and going into a dungeon to defeat monsters; it's a deckbuilder, in which you build your deck up from a very simple basic one during play; it's competitive, in that (in the default game modes) compete with the other players for specific adventurers' more leveled-up versions (there's only two copies of each adventurer at level 3, for example); and the "complexity" comes in the variety of different cards, monsters, rooms, and final bosses you face. In that respect it's a lot like Dominion, in that each time you play you can select (randomly, or intentionally, or via the campaign questbook) a different combination of heroes, equipment, spells, etc. with each combo resulting in both obvious and less-obvious potential deck combinations.

My sister and I are what I'd call "advanced" table boardgamers. We generally like co-op games, and games where if we're against each other it's not a direct "defeat your opponent to win" scenario, so thunderstone scratches that latter itch for us: there is a winnner of the game, assuming one of you defeats the final boss, but otherwise the main interactions with one another are competition over resources and opportunities in the dungeon.

The game supports solo play, too.

Note that Thunderstone Quest is the third iteration of this game (Thunderstone, and then Thunderstone Advanced, preceded it); this version is a pretty refined and polished set of rules.

The base game is less than $60 on amazon, the expansions basically add a lot more cards and dungeon tiles, so I suggest if you try it, just try the base game and see if it scratches that itch before investing further; the additional stuff isn't needed unless you find you've played the base game enough to get a little bored with the cards/tiles it came with. There are at least five expansions, so there's a lot of room to keep adding stuff and play more, if you find it does click.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

bewilderment posted:

Though Dominion does suffer from it being a 'multiplayer solitaire' game where you get little-to-no interaction with other players in your card mix and so the game is already won at the moment all the players have looked at the card spread; they just don't know it yet.

That’s a problem with a lot of European board games. You might as well just be playing by yourself and trying to get a high score

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s a problem with a lot of European board games. You might as well just be playing by yourself and trying to get a high score

Yeah there's a difficult tension between the design goals of "encourage interaction" and "players should not be out of the game until it's over." The best game I've played for that was Innovation, I have a strong memory of a 4 player game where the last place player scored literally the entire deck in a single play (Suburbs), which triggered the secondary victory condition and caused him to win with 0 achievements.

That said I've had some games of Dominions that were utterly dominated by people using attack decks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulip posted:

Yeah there's a difficult tension between the design goals of "encourage interaction" and "players should not be out of the game until it's over." The best game I've played for that was Innovation, I have a strong memory of a 4 player game where the last place player scored literally the entire deck in a single play (Suburbs), which triggered the secondary victory condition and caused him to win with 0 achievements.

That said I've had some games of Dominions that were utterly dominated by people using attack decks.
I don't like games where the player interaction is stuff like "You drew a -1 card, who do you play it on". I prefer games where you give yourself a +2 and decide who to give a +1, or you do hilarious and entirely optional shenanigans to apply a -2 at the cost of giving yourself a -1.

Carcassone is my gold standard for player interaction.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tulip posted:

I think Wingspan is pretty good here, you're constantly interacting with the central pool of resources and interacting with each other, and playing for second place is still engaging as is just seeing if you can get your engine going and seeing it at work.
My memorable last game (which I didn't win) involved me absolutely demolishing the available bird pool whenever my turn came around, which meant that players had to grab birds that they knew I wanted even if they didn't need it themselves. Otherwise I would grab it and then just sweep the selection, preventing planning any further than my next turn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My partner loves Wingspan but it doesn't have much in the way of player interaction? It's 90% engine builder with the biggest interaction being "oh you got the bird I wanted to grab"

The expansions do add in some options to steal a resource from another player but even that doesn't set them back too much because they get to just get another to replace it.

Also ALWAYS take a crow or raven. It's been dubbed CrowTEC by our group and it's stupid OP

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Libertad! posted:

So, I'm in the process of writing up a FATAL & Friends for Supers & Sorcery, that "5e medieval fantasy but superheroes!" thing. I am a sample size of one, so my question to you goons is what exactly would you want out of a tabletop superhero RPG? I know that 5e is a terrible fit regardless, but I want to make sure I can nail discussion of the genre conventions as well as the mechanics in terms of grading its emulation.

I know the discussion is moving on already, but I think the thing that makes superhero games difficult is that they do cover "everything" and the two poles of addressing what powers someone can have are ones where one PC ethers things through high-optimization while another is just a kung-fu guy who can kick one dude in the stomach for alright damage (and the book is like 10,000 pages long because it's trying to provide bespoke rules for every kind of power ever.) Or it abstracts out the powers into broad "narrative" control that makes individual abilities not really "feel" all the different because it still ends up being "roll 2-4 d6 and see if you hit the target number to succeed at something."

A game that can hit a level of having characters feel unique without being a bloated, unbalanced nightmare is a rare treasure in superhero rpgs.

Interpersonal drama and angst are also a thing (and also like, essential to a good team book idk why anyone would imply otherwise??) but that's doing that well even rarer with superhero rpgs, and rpgs in general, so I'm going going to expect that as much.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Ask me which Vampire clans the X-Men belong to.

Please.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Professor X: Tremere
Angel: Toreador
Beast: Nosferatu
Cyclops: Ventrue
Iceman: Gangrel
Marvel Girl: Malkavian
Havok: Brujah
Polaris: Tremere
Changeling: Tzimisce

Colossus: Assamite
Nightcrawler: Cappadocian
Storm: Lasombra
Thunderbird: Giovanni
Banshee: Setite
Sunfire: Caitiff
Wolverine: Baali

Shadowcat: Ravnos
Rogue: Salubri
Psylocke: Laibon
Forge: Samedi
Dazzler: Gargoyle
Longshot: Harbinger of Skulls
Lockheed: Kiasyd

Gambit: Daughter of Cacophony
Jubilee: Old Clan Tzimisce
Bishop: Child of Osiris
Magneto: True Brujah

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is there an easy way to deal with PDFs for GM screens that come with them all "attached", so to speak? I'm talking about when the panels are all part of one page instead of being separated into pages.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is there an easy way to deal with PDFs for GM screens that come with them all "attached", so to speak? I'm talking about when the panels are all part of one page instead of being separated into pages.

Depending on how it's handled (ie, how much they did or didn't give a poo poo when making it), if it's not a protected PDF you may be able to extract the elements and set them up as separate pages in an editor. That's only going to really work if they flattened everything into image(s) before making it a PDF though, and if it's protected then you're SOL for that approach (but proper protected PDFs are rare in my experience, for good reason).

Just had to do that for some work material so it's the immediate approach that comes to mind.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Which editor do you recommend? GIMP would work, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Can't imagine a reason it wouldn't do the job.