Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zarin posted:

I would think you could save some money; I've been talking to contractors about painting and landscaping and asking for a rough itemization with the understanding that "if I do some of it myself, how much can I save?" and nobody has seemed to take offense to that.

I don't know if you have access to a pressure washer, but that might do a decent job of peeling some paint off. Otherwise, I'm going to be doing some of that myself soon, so I can report back with what works well and what doesn't. The scraper is tried-and-true; my dad has a wire brush attachment that goes onto a sawz-all so I may give that a try and see what it does, too.

Yeah I planned on a combo of scraping and a heat gun to get some stubborn parts off. I live in a 100 year old house with old wooden clapboard siding so I was a bit nervous about taking the pressure washer approach.

Let me know how yours goes, will be interested to hear more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

KS posted:

I may be in the minority here but painted brick is an instapass from me, taking a maintenance free material (other than repointing) and ruining it. Doesn’t apply if it’s already painted I guess.

Yeah this. I live in an area where a majority of the houses are brick and/or stone, and in our house search, painted brick was a massive turnoff because you can’t unfuck a painted brick exterior and you are doomed to regularly repaint your ugly painted bricks every few years, unlike with good looking unpainted bricks that only need repointing once every several decades.

The only time you’d even want to remotely consider painting brick is if the brickwork is badly deteriorated and looks honest to god bad (and you repoint and use proper masonry paint), and even so, there are still better options to consider first, like staining and stucco/render (except only the authentic old fashioned kind - no EIFS or other fakey nonpermeable cladding or coating - that poo poo is even worse than painting the bricks).

If your bricks aren’t actively disintegrating and don’t look discolored/bad, you just need to repoint. And if they are in good condition and just look bad, consider repointing + staining. And if they are in bad condition and look bad, consider repointing + stucco.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you're thinking about scraping or heat gunning please test for lead. You can vaporize lead paint which isn't a thing you want to do.

Buddy did his whole house, took him close to a year. Bought a infrared heat gun rated specifically for it (600f max), n/p100 mask, and tarps to catch scraping, plus hepa rated sander/dust collector. It was hell, but we got a lot of hilarious pictures from him looking like Walter white.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

H110Hawk posted:

If you're thinking about scraping or heat gunning please test for lead. You can vaporize lead paint which isn't a thing you want to do.

Buddy did his whole house, took him close to a year. Bought a infrared heat gun rated specifically for it (600f max), n/p100 mask, and tarps to catch scraping, plus hepa rated sander/dust collector. It was hell, but we got a lot of hilarious pictures from him looking like Walter white.

Not to be a dunce, but how do I do that? Take some paint chips somewhere to have them test? (I'm not the one that mentioned heat gunning, just that I was going to scrape/brush the spots that are peel-y before I put a new coat on)

The paint seems too new to be lead, but I suppose it can't hurt!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used these before - https://www.amazon.com/3M-717834209102DUPE-LeadCheck-Swabs-8-Pack/dp/B008BK15PU

Never tested positive for anything on the interior of my old house at least. So cant say how well they work.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zarin posted:

Not to be a dunce, but how do I do that? Take some paint chips somewhere to have them test? (I'm not the one that mentioned heat gunning, just that I was going to scrape/brush the spots that are peel-y before I put a new coat on)

The paint seems too new to be lead, but I suppose it can't hurt!

When was your house built? Because the top coat could be unleaded, but the bottom coat could be lead based. Isn't that fun? I was just giving general advice for people painting. Scraping a little bit off into the trash is fine, sanding is the really bad thing. If you have kids don't gently caress around with it.

You either hire someone like ServPro or another environmental tester to come and do it, or use these test sticks:

I've used those, it's a bit of an art to get them to pop. Much to my surprise, only one of my rooms has it. You can use an individual test stick until it pops or goes dry/gets too dirty to trust in a single "sitting." They don't keep on a shelf once mixed.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
The seller disclosures on my accepted offer indicate that back in 2018 the electrical panel was replaced because the breaker did not trip when the circuit was overloaded. This seems like something I should pay an electrician to perform a dedicated inspection on; does anyone have advice or guidance on specific things I should have them look at?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

vs Dinosaurs posted:

The seller disclosures on my accepted offer indicate that back in 2018 the electrical panel was replaced because the breaker did not trip when the circuit was overloaded. This seems like something I should pay an electrician to perform a dedicated inspection on; does anyone have advice or guidance on specific things I should have them look at?

Find the permit, final signature on a new panel? I wouldn't bother. That's a weird thing to disclose.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

How would one who is not an electrician even find out a circuit is overloaded?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Inner Light posted:

the wires start to smoke / breaker melted

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That.... doesn't seem like it's weird to disclose to me then. If I found out a house had that issue before I bought it with the PO and was not disclosed, I'd be pissed. Wouldn't it be against disclosure laws depending on the area?

Also not seeing how it couldn't be worth the few hundred $ in insurance to hire an electrician to inspect. I'm new to all this crap as a caveat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Your panel, or parts of it, will get hot if it's overload/ing/ed

Modern electrical stuff is ridiculously safe and over engineered, and sort of the foundation of the houses electrical system, while it's technically a fire hazard, anything after 1970 is probably well built

I remember some photos of a lan party where they were tripping the breaker over and over so they just wired an extension cord directly into the breaker, and then opened the panel and pointed a fan at it to keep it cool. Do not recommend that unless you want to burn your house down as the hotter the cable gets, the more resistance it creates and you end up in a runaway situation

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

tater_salad posted:

the wires start to smoke / breaker melted

Even this doesn't happen. When a wire is overloaded, the idea is that the breaker would trip and then nothing would melt. With AFCI today, we can also say that the overload isn't because of a fault in the wiring; with GFCI, we can say that it is not from water.

Of course, the reason FPE panels and breakers were recalled and a danger is that their breakers failed to trip.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Of course, the reason FPE panels and breakers were recalled and a danger is that their breakers failed to trip.

How is it that everyone knows these things turned houses into death traps, they were recalled and replaced free-of-charge (IIRC?), no insurer will touch a place that has one, and yet it still feels like 75% of old houses on the market have FPE panels anyway? Did nobody bother getting rid of the loving things?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inner Light posted:

That.... doesn't seem like it's weird to disclose to me then. If I found out a house had that issue before I bought it with the PO and was not disclosed, I'd be pissed. Wouldn't it be against disclosure laws depending on the area?

Also not seeing how it couldn't be worth the few hundred $ in insurance to hire an electrician to inspect. I'm new to all this crap as a caveat.

If you permitted the repair then you no longer need to disclose it. Panel was broken, hired licensed bonded electrician who did a permitted and inspected repair with UL-listed devices removes any need to disclose that a circuit breaker failed to open in my opinion. Because that breaker+panel is now in the trash. Now if that electrician is saying they didn't complete the job by inspecting for further damage along the circuit then that in itself seems like something to disclose, but that's also something the electrician should have made a judgement call on at the time if it required further inspection.

When I get the form from ServePro saying they've remediated the lead I know about in the house you better believe I will be going back to [X] UNKNOWN. Unless I do the whole house for a section-8 lead cert.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Even this doesn't happen. When a wire is overloaded, the idea is that the breaker would trip and then nothing would melt. With AFCI today, we can also say that the overload isn't because of a fault in the wiring; with GFCI, we can say that it is not from water.

Op: "The electrical panel was replaced because a breaker did not trip on an overloaded circuit"

Someone: "How would one know that was the case"

Tater: "If poo poo got hot or the breaker melted"

You: :psyduck: not the case unless it was an fpe firebox which is universally know to have this exact problem as described above.

But you do bring up a good point. Maybe the disclosure was that they had an FPE box and replaced it because they're know bad. I had one in a house I owned briefly and upon selling it buyers bank said we won't mortgage it unless it's replaced.

Sucks that it was recalled yet they were still in the house. I was actually surprised I was able to buy and insure the house with the FPE box in it, I only owned it for like 4ish years. (Lived in it for 1 my ex lives in it for a remaining 3).

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 8, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

tater_salad posted:

Op: "The electrical panel was replaced because a breaker did not trip on an overloaded circuit"

Someone: "How would one know that was the case"

Tater: "If poo poo got hot or the breaker melted"

You: :psyduck: not the case unless it was an fpe firebox which is universally know to have this exact problem as described above.

But you do bring up a good point. Maybe the disclosure was that they had an FPE box and replaced it because they're know bad. I had one in a house I owned briefly and upon selling it buyers bank said we won't mortgage it unless it's replaced.

Sucks that it was recalled yet they were still in the house. I was actually surprised I was able to buy and insure the house with the FPE box in it, I only owned it for like 4ish years. (Lived in it for 1 my ex lives in it for a remaining 3).

I feel like your average homeowner probably wouldn't know a circuit was overloaded if the breaker didn't trip. Overloading a circuit is kinda hard these days if you have half a brain, and if you don't know how to avoid it then you're probably not going to spot check the breaker to figure out if it's getting hot.

in conclusion: there's fire damage somewhere, because I'm not sure how else you'd know if a breaker failed to trip unless you were actively looking for it.

fake edit: I guess maybe PO was running a bunch of poo poo in the garage and got lucky they were nearby? Or maybe had to turn off a circuit to install a fan or something and noticed some gnarly looking breakers?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One thing to remember is that in the last 20 years we've transitioned away from tungsten light bulbs to CFL and, rapidly to LED. Flipping on a switch now no longer activates a base load of 200-300 watts just for lighting, now it's more like 15-40 watts

Other than new high growth suburbs, power usage nationally has flattened or even dropped over the last 20 years, even with an increase of population

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
No joke my parents house still has an FPE panel.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I have a big hole in my wall. I mean, it's a closet, but there's no door and only two shelves and one bar. I had initially planned to have a custom closet builder construct a really nice reach-in for me, but I'm considering instead having them just install the doors and I can build out the inside with stuff from Container Store or wherever. I'm fairly handy and can organize a space pretty well, but initially planned to have pros do it so I didn't have to bother with it, but I'm wondering now if I can save a few thousand bucks by DIYing the inside and using the cash on a different project I can't DIY. Stupid idea, or REALLY stupid idea?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DIY can save you a bunch of money and can be very satisfying, if that's your thing. There's lots of cool options out there for closets, you should see what people do with the IKEA closet units.

Not a stupid idea, if you want to DIY it. There's some things I like handling myself, and others I know it's better if I just pay someone to do.

Go for it.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Yeah if it’s just interior closet shelving and you’re handy and you have a level, I don’t see why you couldn’t just do that yourself.

At some point I’ll be going the pro carpenter route to build out a closet in our bedroom - there’s a uselessly shallow closet in the corner (not even deep enough for me to put shoes end to end) and a big alcove for an armoire that we currently have an ugly open front IKEA closet thing in (courtesy of previous owner). Idea is to turn the alcove (and subsume the existing closet) into a nice walk-up closet built-in. It’s too big/complex of a job for DIY shelving installation, so we’re just going to go all in with a pro.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I have a big hole in my wall. I mean, it's a closet, but there's no door and only two shelves and one bar. I had initially planned to have a custom closet builder construct a really nice reach-in for me, but I'm considering instead having them just install the doors and I can build out the inside with stuff from Container Store or wherever. I'm fairly handy and can organize a space pretty well, but initially planned to have pros do it so I didn't have to bother with it, but I'm wondering now if I can save a few thousand bucks by DIYing the inside and using the cash on a different project I can't DIY. Stupid idea, or REALLY stupid idea?

The good news is if you were ready to pay carpenter prices to install you won't be put off by the raw material prices. I have checked out shelving systems in the past and each time decided I would be happier buying something else. My closet is very functional as it is, just a little ugly. Simple bar and shelf, deep and wide enough for all of my hang up clothes and a bin of shoes on the bottom, and hamper under the shirts.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Thanks for the votes of confidence! I had dreams of building out a beautiful cedar-lined closet, but it seems like a waste of money (my clothes are just normal, not designer or anything) that could be better spent on other improvements we'll need sooner than later. I can install some cedar shelving in the weird 18"x18" nook on the end for sweaters, and just install some drawers and shelves in the main part of the closet, have them hang the sliding doors and call it good. At the end of the day it's a place that holds our stuff, and the doors will be shut 99% of the time anyway. Better to spend that money on something I can't do myself.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

You should definitely do it. There will probably be some learning moments along the way, as with all new DIYs, but you’ll probably save a lot of money in the end and learn some new skills in the process.

I’m over here contemplating doing a DIY demo of my downstairs shower and replacing the tub with a jet tub. I’d need to hire an electrician to run power to the tub and id probably bring in a plumber to install the new tub at the crucial drain fittings, just to help me sleep at night, but I’m considering rebuilding the tile from the cement board up around the tub myself. It seems like kind of an arduous and pain staking job but possibly manageable with a helper. :ohdear:

I may cave and just contract it out. At least get some estimates and see if they’ll let me save a few bucks by at least doing the demo myself or something.

But yeah a closet should be no problem!!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My two cents would be to have container store make a design for you. They can be really good at it and are more likely to come up with an optimized design that's better than what you could do on your own. A little scummy, but you could ways take their design and diy it on your own.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

My two cents would be to have container store make a design for you. They can be really good at it and are more likely to come up with an optimized design that's better than what you could do on your own. A little scummy, but you could ways take their design and diy it on your own.

We were looking at CS and their custom closets were upwards of $5k, which is fine if it includes installation, but if not, it seems a bit pricey for a design and materials. That said, we haven't even started getting quotes so for all I know a closet could cost $10k. If that's the case, LOL--we'll install some shelving and nice doors and a shoe rack and call it a day because ew.

Also, IKEA has closet designers on their website for ~free, so I can at least get some ideas there.

Edit: when we were looking for a house, we saw one with the same footprint as ours that had exactly the closet I want. Once I find the right size shelving (may have to have it cut myself), I can definitely install the same closet, except the door, which I'll have someone else install.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 8, 2021

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
If you do go the Container Store route, do a quick Google and see when their closet sale typically falls.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

ChineseBuffet posted:

If you do go the Container Store route, do a quick Google and see when their closet sale typically falls.

Good thinking! They also have a free online planner. This looks promising!

Closet World just ended their "free installation and 40% off" promotion the day after we closed. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Good thinking! They also have a free online planner. This looks promising!

Closet World just ended their "free installation and 40% off" promotion the day after we closed. :(

I really agree with the "modular closet" approach here (I'm looking at much of the same) but I'd suggest measuring that door opening you've got. See if some pre-hung door may fit in there and sort that out first if you're set on having a door.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

I really agree with the "modular closet" approach here (I'm looking at much of the same) but I'd suggest measuring that door opening you've got. See if some pre-hung door may fit in there and sort that out first if you're set on having a door.

Yes I am 100% set on having a door. The door opening, end to end, is about 112", but the closet itself has a weird nook on the side that's 18" wide, where I'm planning to put floating shelves.

This is what I'm hoping to copy, with the weird nook behind the door on the right side (in my house it's on the left):
https://imgur.com/a/hGz8dLO

It doesn't have to be *this* fancy but I would like the lighting, even if it's stick-on button lights. I was willing to shell out for the best version of this, but after upgrading all our furniture and stuff I'm finding other things I'd like to spend the money on. And, after all, if the doors are nice enough it doesn't matter as much if the mounting hardware on the shelves is visible or whatever. But it does need doors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The door opening, end to end, is about 112"

Oh.....you have so many options, okay. I would still narrow them down to what you want to install (french doors, you have room for pocket doors if if you've got outside space constraints, etc) and figure out how and where those go in concert with your plans. Then actually get the door(s) in there (like installed) to make sure there aren't any surprises before ordering the modular stuff. Then you're working with a known quantity and measurements.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

Oh.....you have so many options, okay. I would still narrow them down to what you want to install (french doors, you have room for pocket doors if if you've got outside space constraints, etc) and figure out how and where those go in concert with your plans. Then actually get the door(s) in there (like installed) to make sure there aren't any surprises before ordering the modular stuff. Then you're working with a known quantity and measurements.

Yah, there are lots of options. That's one reason why we were going to let the pros loose on our belongings and recommend a system that would work, but if it costs an insane amount we'll just DIY it. I have no problem doing it but I just get overwhelmed by all the options, which is why this thread is so helpful. I found a photo of our *actual* closet before we filled it up. For reference it does fit everything we have, which was nice compared to our old place, which had us spreading our stuff across three smaller closets.

https://imgur.com/a/KSkX9qr

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

So is running romex like this normal or

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Infinotize posted:

No: this is a case of "when it's covered in insulation no one will ever know!"

It should be stapled down to something at regular intervals every 12 (18?) inches to ensure it can't get snagged by someone. A good electrician will have neat little runs of them all in parallel and the boards laid atop/around it could rub and damage that wiring.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Infinotize posted:

PTSD about the attic of my parent's house growing up right there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is it just ridiculously overkill to replace 15 amp defective outlets with 15 amp hospital grade outlets

I think if you buy them in bulk, outlets are $0.50 each, and the hospital grade ones are $5.00 each, but also the hospital grade ones are toddler proof and nearly indestructible and unlikely to need replacement in my lifetime.

$5 each sounds like a lot but we probably need to replace like, three, and is comparable to the gas needed to drive to the store to buy them

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I think that's more wiring than is in my entire house.

Home Depot has tamper proof 15A outlets for about $1, not sure why you'd want "hospital grade"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

In my time working IT in health care, we were required to buy "hospital grade" power strips, power outlets, and other power devices to install in our clinics and they were literally the same as the consumer models just with a special sticker applied, and marked up about 75%. I don't think any receptacle that gets routinely used is going to last a lifetime, save your money and get the regular tamper-proof outlets and pay another $.50 in 20 years when you might need to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Infinotize posted:

Normal? Yes. Correct? No.