Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

my players want me to DM WFRP.

What's a good edition? I tend to veer towards more of the OSR-style stuff, I like simple rulesets you can build upon. The only literal things I know about WHFRP is:
- small but vicious dog meme
- 3e is bad
- there's a retroclone called Zweihander

3e is very different, not bad. For comparison FFG Star Wars is a watered down version. I like it a lot in many ways - but it has more pieces of crap to hand out than any other RPG I can think of. I also see a lot of its good parts having gone into Blades in the Dark years later; everything from team sheets to stances.

You probably want 2e. 1e is in some ways awesome, but the magic system is dull spell points. And 4e breaks as much as it fixes. It's a bit heavy for an OSR fan although is gritty in the right ways. In fact if you want a gritty game where players get not as many injuries as advances it may be what you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I'd say from my (unfortunately limited) experience, 2e is the most straightforward and easy to implement.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

my Enemy in Shadows campaign ended with Teugan fumbling his Bolt of Tzeentch check, rolling a major chaos manifestation, and then randomly choosing gideon as his target which took him down to 2 hit points, who someone then threw a dagger at and killed.

Overall it was pretty rad.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Verisimilidude posted:

my Enemy in Shadows campaign ended.

Overall it was pretty rad.

Hey I had a pretty similar anticlimactic ending. Failed a channel roll and boom.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dishwasherlove posted:

Hey I had a pretty similar anticlimactic ending. Failed a channel roll and boom.

I once had a Tzeentch Demon Prince instantly kill itself on its first action trying to use Dispel Mortal on someone in 2e. "Congratulations, you played yourself!"

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

my players want me to DM WFRP.

What's a good edition? I tend to veer towards more of the OSR-style stuff, I like simple rulesets you can build upon. The only literal things I know about WHFRP is:
- small but vicious dog meme
- 3e is bad
- there's a retroclone called Zweihander
I'll throw a vote against the consensus and suggest 4e, which is probably what you mean by "3e is bad" (3e was the version released by FFG with lots of out-of-print cards and tokens required to play, and therefore isn't really played, while 4e is the currently published version).

Combat can complex or same-y, and it's hard to balance it (especially since the GM support is weak), but I ran a full campaign in it and played a full campaign, and had a pretty wonderful time. I don't have any 2e experience to compare against though.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
^ seconding this

Char advancement being tricky is a pretty minor complaint and overall I found the system to be very engaging and fun. Combat can get lopsided if your players make certain builds but combat isn't the only focus anyway.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I ran a 2e campaign for two years and a 4e campaign for about six months before covidpocalypse and the general consensus amongst my group was that they liked the character creation and combat better in 4e but the character advancement better in 2e.

I'm hoping to get it going again in a month or two when covid restrictions are relaxed so I might just fudge a bunch of rules together myself that players like. Which, to be honest, is how I run RPGs anyway. gently caress the official rules; if everyone's having fun then it's a good game and who cares what the book says.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
If you are playing using a virtual tabletop Foundry has some amazing official 4e content that basically automates all the fiddly bits. My group is very math adverse and being able to have the system do everything has been a life saver. Its also the reason they were open to playing something other than D&D.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Chairman Pow! posted:

If you are playing using a virtual tabletop Foundry has some amazing official 4e content that basically automates all the fiddly bits. My group is very math adverse and being able to have the system do everything has been a life saver. Its also the reason they were open to playing something other than D&D.

Foundry is so nice for playing Fantasy 4e.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
As a sign of how true that is, my IRL group has continued to use it now that we're having in person sessions. Playing w/o it just seems like it would be too much work.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Would it be in COMPLETELY bad taste to advertise my own game here? WFRP in zero edition, nor Zweihander, is what I'd call "a simple system you can build on", but I myself developed a game so I could play "Shitfarmers In Mud City vs. The Overwhelming Odds" type games like those without much in the way of mechanical busywork, and it's intended to be built on.

I'm interested. WHFRP4e is looking better now that I've read the rules and found it pretty fun.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As a sign of how true that is, my IRL group has continued to use it now that we're having in person sessions. Playing w/o it just seems like it would be too much work.

How are you running it? GM with a laptop? The digital character sheets are amazing and not sure I can go back to paper post pandemic.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I use foundry as well and it works incredibly. My only complaint is that combat can be kind of wonky at times, and can be tedious for players especially if they have small screens.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm interested. WHFRP4e is looking better now that I've read the rules and found it pretty fun.

I won't eat up too much space since this is a WFRP thread, not an indie games thread, but my game grimDARK: A Fistful of Ashcan Edition is over here on Itch and over here on DriveThru

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

dishwasherlove posted:

How are you running it? GM with a laptop? The digital character sheets are amazing and not sure I can go back to paper post pandemic.

Yep. I have my laptop using a large tv as an extended 2nd screen. GM screen is the laptop, tv is Foundry. Works great.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

That's great to hear, because as we are all getting vaccinated and thinking about what next. In addition to handling the mechanics, I love the ability to add actual effects, sounds, moods etc.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Are there rules for commerce printed anywhere? I’m running death on the reik and my players seem to like the mercantile aspect of the first chapter.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Verisimilidude posted:

Are there rules for commerce printed anywhere? I’m running death on the reik and my players seem to like the mercantile aspect of the first chapter.
Warhammer 2e's Old World Armory has commerce stuff in there.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I think it may be in the companion book, but I do not have it. The Death on the reik foundry module has the rules in it so it must be from either the adventure book or the companion book for the it

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Our group is currently playing Death on the Reik and there are definitely trade/commerce rules. I can see about digging them out if you want.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I think I found them actually!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Horned Rat is out.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is the AoS RPG from Cube7 cross-compatible?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Schadenboner posted:

Is the AoS RPG from Cube7 cross-compatible?

No, they're totally different systems.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So, having been playing Nights Black Agents, it's my turn to DM a game soon.

So my friends would like to carry on with The Enemy Within Campaign if possible.

We've done part's 1 and 2, completing Shadow over Bogenhafen, and Death on the Reik.

Now I have my issues with 4th edition as a rule set, but whatever. I can get past those and have fun running a game.

So 2 quick questions.

How's the new replacement 4th adventure, The Horned Rat.

Did they copy and paste the original versions stats for NPC's and treasure again like they did with the initial release of DotR.* Or did they fix them this time?

*As thoroughly documented by HildaO-Win

HidaO-Win posted:

I've attached my file with notes on errors and balance issues in Death on the Reik. Also some suggested re-stats if characters are on about 2000 exp.
Its a rough draft, but decent. If I get any feedback from C7 I'll go for another pass.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xrI6jxTzSNgLoKsTRuROCYOnNYoCGsjuWVZl4vdNta8/edit?usp=sharing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Horned Rat is basically brand new and replacing the Kislev part from the original Enemy within. This means no original version to copy paste from.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 9, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No I meant for PBTT.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deptfordx posted:

No I meant for PBTT.

Oh I don't know. I have not compared them myself. Though I do know that Todbringer's mentally handicapped son is treated better.

Also going through the companion a bit, I really like the idea of using the Changling in place of the doppelganger
It's a nice idea the page sells me on.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 9, 2021

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Might be relevant to thread interests: Dunkeldorf is a boutique line of not-WFRP minis out of :denmark:, they just launched a third Kickstarter.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 9, 2021

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Deptfordx posted:

So, having been playing Nights Black Agents, it's my turn to DM a game soon.

So my friends would like to carry on with The Enemy Within Campaign if possible.

We've done part's 1 and 2, completing Shadow over Bogenhafen, and Death on the Reik.

Now I have my issues with 4th edition as a rule set, but whatever. I can get past those and have fun running a game.

So 2 quick questions.

How's the new replacement 4th adventure, The Horned Rat.

Did they copy and paste the original versions stats for NPC's and treasure again like they did with the initial release of DotR.* Or did they fix them this time?

*As thoroughly documented by HildaO-Win

Power Behind the Throne is mostly grand, I didn’t get a chance to go over it because my real job had me busy when it came out. There are a couple of small sections that didn’t get properly updated and a New Romantic reference that is practically archaeology at this point. It’s a tricky adventure to run, I’m running it at the moment and it needs a bit of organisation to make the carnival transparent to them. There is also a lot less combat, so that is a factor.

The all new The Horned Rat, is out and I went through it and sent in a feedback document on some issues.
Good adventure, has some short comings, but I have some ideas to tidy it up a little.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I gotta say: after a few months of running 2e, Ulric's Fury is hands down one of my favorite crit mechanics. Every time it feels good and it's always just a pleasant little cherry on top of just accidentally clowning on an enemy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’ve always loved that there’s a similar effect on rolling 10s for fall damage. Sometimes you just land real bad!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Might be relevant to thread interests: Dunkeldorf is a boutique line of not-WFRP minis out of :denmark:, they just launched a third Kickstarter.

This is fabulous! Thanks for the link

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love this Lords of Decay meeting about blowing up the moon.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Just finished running Death on the Reik for my players. It was fun but I really dislike running combat in this game. Does anyone have any tips on speeding up combat and making it not so...crunchy and tedious? My players aren't super engaged by it either so it's cool if we make it a bit more smooth.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just started running Power Behind the Throne.

Did session 1, mostly my own plot hook stuff and the journey to the city so I'd only skimmed the adventure, as I've been busy recently.

So this week I've been reading through the adventure properly, and honestly I don't think I like it. In fact I might hate it.

Courtesy spoiler tags, but I'm trying to keep details vague.

It's just to sprawling to the point that it looks like an unfocused nightmare to run.

I like a sandbox as much as the next, but there's so many goddamn characters and locations.

So then they have to spend 8 days in the festival trying to meet people and find out what's going on and interacting with carnival stuff. Yes fine, we did some of that in Bogenhafen's carnival, it was fun, but 8 days of this stuff. What looks like is supposed to be multiples sessions of caring about who won the middenball tournament etc whilst running around trying to figure out NPC's motivations and dark secrets. None of which matter, because they've abandoned the plot where you have to amass the votes of NPC's to repeal the tax laws from the original adventure. Although oddly the influence ratings are still listed. :shrug:

Instead regardless of what they do they're not allowed to find the plot token that will lead into the climax until the last day of the festival, and if they get there early you're supposed to change the clue to one that doesn't become possible to follow up on until that point either.

Then it's 12 pages of railroad and let's hope the players choose to fulfil their role in the writers script. My personal favourite part is the fight at the end where when the villian is losing* he will 'run to the side of the viaduct and leap over the edge' so he can escape using magic. Reading this I swear I can literally hear aloud my players talking over themselves in their race to shout out spells/shots/grapples/plans to prevent this cheap BS.

* An entirely unarmoured opponent who is under attack by multiple now quite high tier characters with two handed weapons, powerful spells, guns etc, etc. If he loses initative, he's probably not going to even have a chance to act before he's be dropped to 0 wounds and should be out of action.

Ugh. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to salvage this mess. I got the Horned Rat as well, and it looks a lot more interesting on an initial perusal. I think If I had read through stuff a few weeks I'd have skipped PBTT and written a more directly Purple Hand adventure myself, probably using Etelka Heltzen who I still have around and had allied with the Skaven, that would have set up THR and just gone with that.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Ultimately It’s pretty simple to have an NPC like Nastassia or one of the Ladiesnof Court explain that the Graf drafts policy based on council he takes from his court and there must be a majority advocating for the taxes. Then at least the getting people on side metagame makes sense.

I’d also change it so the big bad guys plan doesn’t trigger UNTIL the players get enough votes to switch the tax vote, at which point the bad guy enacts his final plan. Which is a bit hasty and daft, but a reasonable work around for the big plan collapsing.

That way the players figuring out what’s going on, actually triggers the final set pieces.

I’d also offer the players a bunch of exp\ fate point/ loot if before the final bad guy is revealed through the hand writing in the letter if they can tell you who is behind the plot, adds a whodunnit element to it.

Key to the bad guy getting away is not to let them get into melee before they get to the viaduct, so playing keep away is important. Also, the simplest solution is to give him 2 Fate points and just let him burn one when killed to fall off the viaduct to his assumed death.
Letting the players kill him, tell them he burns a fate point and falls into oblivion.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Re PBtT, this is the 2nd edition you’re talking about or is the remake done already? I’ve never played much, but when I was considering starting a group I found a blog that went into great detail about the modules in the 2nd Edition and the blogger was less than complimentary about the campaign towards the end, and this module in particular. I’ve been keeping an eye on the reboot/remakes to see if his concerns were addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's the new 4th edition version. The next part, The Horned Rat is also out now.

I've run the second session now of PBTT now, and have had time to knock it more into shape with events, ongoing plot hooks, some foreshadowing etc etc. It'll be fine but I'm still not impressed with the skeleton I had to work with.

I think all the original campaign modules are now showing their age. They're from an earlier era of play and design and honestly I think it shows. I didn't think the fan beloved Death on the Reik held up that well either and had to tinker quite a lot with that.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 4, 2021