Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mooey Cow posted:

Depends on if you're hoping to resurrect Dimetrodons, which lived in the Permian, in the Carboniferous you instead had millipedes bigger than yourself

Fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
bring it back

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I like my Dimetrodons like I like my coffee:

Nice and smooth

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

mods are asleep, post smooth dimetrodons

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mak0rz posted:

mods are asleep, post smooth dimetrodons

when the mods are away the dimetrodons will play

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Eternally disappointed that these went extinct and useless garbage Lystrosaurus survived the Great Dying

Just look at this stupid pig-lizard.

The hosed up part was there was a period in the Early Triassic, right after the Permian Extinction, where everyone that hunted or competed with these things were dead, so their population exploded. There was a period where 19 out of every 20 land vertebrates was a Lystrosaurus. Imagine taking a walk outside and 95% of all the animals you saw were like, corgies or whatever.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I was an adult before I learned about those things, and that stunned me given the fact you mentioned.
If it was on land, for millions of years, it was that thing. Period. On the entire planet. And no one ever mentions them even in passing in pop archeology stuff you learn growing up

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
real low point in our planetary history

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Early Christmas gift ideas.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Make the ladies roar.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Make the ladies roar.

Or the fellas. Or both, really. There's nothing wrong with being a bi-metrodon

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm an ametrodon.
As in "EY! I'M ROARIN HEYA"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Asterite34 posted:

bi-metrodon

that's just a latin dimetrodon

edit: bimodadent

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 27, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

e: strongly suggest giving etsy a browse for dimetrodons

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/197165611/wine-o-saur-wooden-dinosaur-wine-rack

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lmao drink out of his rear end

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://fineartamerica.com/featured/dimetrodon-jerry-lofaro.html?product=face-mask-flat

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I have a single big blank wall in my living room right now...

https://fineartamerica.com https://fineartamerica.com/featured/dimetrodon-jerry-lofaro.html?product=tapestry-88-104

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

This is the kind of piece that hangs proudly behind the master bed.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is the kind of piece that hangs proudly behind the master bed.

Uhhhh...OVER it, you mean?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I prefer the close-up Tyrannosaurus taint.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Everybody knows Dimetrodon fucks

But did you know Dimetrodon fucks up sharks on the regular?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Just wanted to mention that the targeted ads I'm getting for Dimetrodon tapestries have not stopped coming in as I read articles online.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Just wanted to mention that the targeted ads I'm getting for Dimetrodon tapestries have not stopped coming in as I read articles online.

how many have you bought

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Revins posted:

how many have you bought

I haven't yet but I think it's a sign.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
mine shipped but isn't here yet. im thinking of hanging it in my bedroom where ill see it first thing every day, presumably granting me intense power

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mak0rz posted:

Being a basal trait doesn't necessarily mean all descendent species have that trait. It could be secondarily lost entirely in some groups.

That said, there's probably more reason to believe T. rex had feathers at some point in its life than not, for the reasons you said.
Yeah. It seems most dinosaurs were scaly, but it also seems possible some kind of filamentation was fairly basal. Maybe the feather -> scale progression was common.

For Tyrannosaurus there is a bunch of evidence of scales and no evidence of feathers, but I guess its family tree can keep the feathers of the gaps alive.

I'm unsure if feathers actually are basal, though. Is there anything to point that way other than Kulindadromeus? Maybe it was just weird and turned its scales into filaments by its own.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 8, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Fun feather facts:

"In the case of green plumage, in addition to yellow, the specific feather structure involved is called by some the Dyck texture."

E:
"Feathers and scales are made up of two distinct forms of keratin, and it was long thought that each type of keratin was exclusive to each skin structure (feathers and scales). However, a study published in 2006 confirmed the presence of feather keratin in the early stages of development of American alligator scales. This type of keratin, previously thought to be specific to feathers, is suppressed during embryological development of the alligator and so is not present in the scales of mature alligators. The presence of this homologous keratin in both birds and crocodilians indicates that it was inherited from a common ancestor. This may suggest that crocodilian scales, bird and dinosaur feathers, and pterosaur pycnofibres are all developmental expressions of the same primitive archosaur skin structures; suggesting that feathers and pycnofibers could be homologous."
Neat

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 8, 2021

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
When I become a billionaire I am going to bring you goons to...

https://tyrrellmuseum.com/

I can’t remember if they have any Dimetrodons but they do have Black Beauty, the coolest T-Rex.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

HAmbONE posted:

I can’t remember if they have any Dimetrodons but they do have Black Beauty, the coolest T-Rex.

Went there a couple years ago for the first time in like 25 years, still awesome.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elukka posted:

For Tyrannosaurus there is a bunch of evidence of scales and no evidence of feathers, but I guess its family tree can keep the feathers of the gaps alive.

Yeah. As far as I know current conventions among restoration artists is that it's acceptable to restore T. rex as completely featherless or with some feathering. Either is understood to be a possible restoration with our current understanding, just as long as they don't show stuff like primaries (the long forearm/wing feathers of many theropods, including living birds) that we know tyrannosaurs didn't have.

HAmbONE posted:

Been there twice myself. Black Beaty is an absolutely marvelous fossil. Took my breath away when I first laid eyes upon it.

Then a few years later I went back to see Borealopelta and got emotional again lol.

Sadly all of their Dimetrodon fossils are casts/replicas and not the real deal :sigh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 8, 2021

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Fun feather facts:

"In the case of green plumage, in addition to yellow, the specific feather structure involved is called by some the Dyck texture."

E:
"Feathers and scales are made up of two distinct forms of keratin, and it was long thought that each type of keratin was exclusive to each skin structure (feathers and scales). However, a study published in 2006 confirmed the presence of feather keratin in the early stages of development of American alligator scales. This type of keratin, previously thought to be specific to feathers, is suppressed during embryological development of the alligator and so is not present in the scales of mature alligators. The presence of this homologous keratin in both birds and crocodilians indicates that it was inherited from a common ancestor. This may suggest that crocodilian scales, bird and dinosaur feathers, and pterosaur pycnofibres are all developmental expressions of the same primitive archosaur skin structures; suggesting that feathers and pycnofibers could be homologous."
Neat
These are indeed fun feather facts.

Maybe feathers and scales are a flexible part of the archosaur toolbox and they can evolve either without much trouble, and may have gone back and forth in many branches of the family tree?

Also archosauria is the coolest clade name.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah. As far as I know current conventions among restoration artists is that it's acceptable to restore T. rex as completely featherless or with some feathering. Either is understood to be a possible restoration with our current understanding, just as long as they don't show stuff like primaries (the long forearm/wing feathers of many theropods, including living birds) that we know tyrannosaurs didn't have.

Been there twice myself. Black Beaty is an absolutely marvelous fossil. Took my breath away when I first laid eyes upon it.

Then a few years later I went back to see Borealopelta and got emotional again lol.

Sadly all of their Dimetrodon fossils are casts/replicas and not the real deal :sigh:

Great link. Six years spent extracting it is an insane dedication to preservation.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
did anyone post this one

https://i.imgur.com/02hJ1Ll.mp4

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

More like Diemetrodon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what are you doing, don't eat that

e. also lol at that watermark that's some insane poo poo

raaaar

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Christopher DiPizza 2016

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
My personal belief is that the sail on the back of these marvelous Dimetrodon lads was an adaption that meant that no one would be able to ride them around like a horse.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
(ai generated song)

https://gn-api-res.s3.amazonaws.com...3/melobytes.mp4

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

While you guys continue talking about who was and wasn't a dinosaur and who had feathers or scales, I'm going to just keep on covering my walls with Dimetrodon Hissing Wall Decals ($19.99)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
roar