Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

eggsovereasy posted:

How are you going to focus it, ground glass on the back?

I guess it depends on the design of camera I find assuming I print somebody else's and not my own. If it has a helicoid then I assume I would zone focus, I could also potentially live with a fixed focus at infinity given I'd be unlikely to take many close-up photos with a panoramic camera. A ground glass screen might be nice, I think it could also be very hard to do with roll film unless you also designed in a system with a dark slide and removable film back which is starting to get pretty complicated and heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The travelwide (kickstarter 4x5 3d printed p&s) had specific helicoids for the 2 focal lengths it supported with a distance guide that you paired with zone focusing or a separate rangefinder

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

eggsovereasy posted:

How are you going to focus it, ground glass on the back?

Just like Ansel said you calibrate the lens with a groung glass on the film plane in conjunction with a rangefinder if you have one. The guy who designed the camera just uses paper wrapped around the helical with distance markings to know where he's focused to but I'd like to make something more solid. Maybe a 3d printed ring with the markings engraved in and filled with paint.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Just like Ansel said you calibrate the lens with a groung glass on the film plane in conjunction with a rangefinder if you have one. The guy who designed the camera just uses paper wrapped around the helical with distance markings to know where he's focused to but I'd like to make something more solid. Maybe a 3d printed ring with the markings engraved in and filled with paint.

Also thanks for the inspiration, I've been meaning to try some 6x12 for ages and never got around to it but that Kraken camera looks good and I'm close to dropping the hammer on a 90mm lens and helicoid. Already have the printer and some black filament so pretty good to go, and it would be a lot lighter than my 4x5 setup if I want to hike a long way or take it mountaineering or something.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Blackhawk posted:

Also thanks for the inspiration, I've been meaning to try some 6x12 for ages and never got around to it but that Kraken camera looks good and I'm close to dropping the hammer on a 90mm lens and helicoid. Already have the printer and some black filament so pretty good to go, and it would be a lot lighter than my 4x5 setup if I want to hike a long way or take it mountaineering or something.

I'm excited someone else might pull the trigger too! What I really wanna do is take some panoramic star trail shots with mine. I did a single attempt with provia 100f in my pentax 67 years ago that came out great for a first try.

I'm on my phone so I only have a low res file but you get the idea.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I'm excited someone else might pull the trigger too! What I really wanna do is take some panoramic star trail shots with mine. I did a single attempt with provia 100f in my pentax 67 years ago that came out great for a first try.

I'm on my phone so I only have a low res file but you get the idea.

Cool! I saw a photo from a local guy here which was a star trail on a 6x17 camera with Provia and it looked pretty awesome. I've done one with my 4x5 and one on 35mm and they turned out ok, tricky to focus and compose though (and it's very often cloudy where I live).

This is the 35mm one (Ektachrome)

This is the 4x5 (Provia)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Another three rolls of struggles with basics. There is still something I am loving up with metering (I measured highlights, measured shadows, averaged, added +2 for Portra, stayed at box speed for Ektar), so I will shoot the next couple of rolls with the metered prism and bracket.

Fortunately a couple of the frames I really cared about came out fine. I have spent the last 14 years seeing the same 4 islands from my home, not knowing that I could see a couple more islands from the mountains (on clear days).

Catalina Island as seen from the mountains north of Santa Barbara (>100 miles away).

Anacapa, Santa Barbara, Sutil, and Santa Cruz islands, viewed from the same place. I am desperately waiting for a day when some clouds fill in the top without obstructing the view of the islands.

And just an average filler picture. I struggled with properly metering sunsets, so I am happy that this came out not looking like poo poo.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lets gooooo

Started printing parts for my own 6x12 Kraken. I'll also be using a 90mm lens but going with a Horseman super topcon, which should just cover 6x12 and was quite cheap compared to equivalent LF lenses.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

Lets gooooo

Started printing parts for my own 6x12 Kraken. I'll also be using a 90mm lens but going with a Horseman super topcon, which should just cover 6x12 and was quite cheap compared to equivalent LF lenses.

I am following with continuing interest!

Not sure if this is old news to those who are more in the know, but Pro 400H is being discontinued.
https://petapixel.com/2021/01/15/fujifilm-has-discontinued-its-pro-400h-color-negative-film/

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

This is excellent.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Little tip for anyone 3D printing a camera. Make sure the backside of your lens fits inside your lens cone before you pay 300$ for it.

I had to grind out some of the interior of my lens cone. Good thing I made it 50% infill and 5 shells

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Little tip for anyone 3D printing a camera. Make sure the backside of your lens fits inside your lens cone before you pay 300$ for it.

I had to grind out some of the interior of my lens cone. Good thing I made it 50% infill and 5 shells

I'm surprised that the rear element of your lens would fit through the helicoid but not the cone? Unless the rear element doesn't fit through the helicoid and you have to assemble the lens into it?

Edit: The topcon 90mm I chose has a pretty small rear element which should fit inside the helicoid easily, but that's mostly because it's really intended to be a medium format lens with movements, so it just covers 6x12 but wouldn't cover 4x5. The large format lenses I looked at seemed very limited by the ~62mm bore of the helicoid.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Blackhawk posted:

I'm surprised that the rear element of your lens would fit through the helicoid but not the cone? Unless the rear element doesn't fit through the helicoid and you have to assemble the lens into it?

Edit: The topcon 90mm I chose has a pretty small rear element which should fit inside the helicoid easily, but that's mostly because it's really intended to be a medium format lens with movements, so it just covers 6x12 but wouldn't cover 4x5. The large format lenses I looked at seemed very limited by the ~62mm bore of the helicoid.

The 90mm f6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon-N has a 61mm rear element. I haven't received my helicoid yet but I'm pretty sure I'll have to assemble the lens onto it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

My 6x12 camera is fully assembled. Now I'm just waiting on my ebay purchased accessory rangefinder to show up.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ziggy Smalls posted:

My 6x12 camera is fully assembled. Now I'm just waiting on my ebay purchased accessory rangefinder to show up.

Looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing how it works. I've printed all of my bits, although they're going to need a fair bit of sanding to fit together in some cases. Will be a while until the helicoid arrives though.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The metered prism isn't perfect, but it's an improvement over my handheld metering.

Ektar:

Ilford Ortho:

Looking forward to shooting more Pro 400H with the prism.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Just as its discontinuation has been announced, I finally managed to fill up a roll of Pro 400H without dog poo poo over/under exposures. Hooray metered prism! Booooo neck pain!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Question first:
What is the likely origin of the random dark dots in the background?

And now, like it or not, content.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

^ Lovely colors, as always.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Big dumb 3D printed 6x12 is nearly done, just waiting for some glue to dry and then I'll have to dial in the helicoid for zone focusing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hell yeah, that looks like it'll be fun

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

That's pretty awesome!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel posted:

That's pretty awesome!

Thanks! I love the subject, but the struggle with the dynamic range definitely still shows.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Badass

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have been having way too much fun with the moss that is growing on this fence, and I am glad I figured out how to deal with Pro 400H for these.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Nice one, like the bloom

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

Question first:
What is the likely origin of the random dark dots in the background?

I like the photos!

I think I had spots like this often on old and/or badly stored b&w film (120 and 4x5 both, I'm not sure about 135 but I haven't shot that much old 135). On 120 I often had imprints of the paper backing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

k-zed posted:

I like the photos!

I think I had spots like this often on old and/or badly stored b&w film (120 and 4x5 both, I'm not sure about 135 but I haven't shot that much old 135). On 120 I often had imprints of the paper backing as well.

Thanks.

I have written it off as either a lousy roll or the lab messing up since I haven't seen it in any of my other rolls.