Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wow Bao is bad

Much like the Cubs

Oddly even knowing that we've only faced lovely batting teams so far, I'm pretty happy about the rotation. Unfortunately all the bats are trash and Krimbel is the only good reliever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm steeling myself for the Astros to get swept at home by the A's now that I've gotten all cocky and hopeful

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Intruder I don’t know where in Houston you are, but Fat Bao is excellent and they’re on Kirby.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Intruder I don’t know where in Houston you are, but Fat Bao is excellent and they’re on Kirby.

Kirby is close to MMP thus making this baseball related :ninja:

I'm also far from Kirby, I live in Tomball (technically, it's really more cypress. near vintage park)

Where the hell is Jake Odorizzi

e: Still no timetable on Framber as far as I know either. Get Framber and Odorizzi in the rotation and suddenly I have a little bit of faith the in the Astros as a real contender, especially if they can make a trade deadline move for a CF or another starter

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 8, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm dealing with some other stuff right now that might be contributing but I feel like I really can't bring myself to give a poo poo about this season. I was even closely watching last year but this one is nothing to me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Kirby is close to MMP thus making this baseball related :ninja:

I'm also far from Kirby, I live in Tomball (technically, it's really more cypress. near vintage park)

Where the hell is Jake Odorizzi

e: Still no timetable on Framber as far as I know either. Get Framber and Odorizzi in the rotation and suddenly I have a little bit of faith the in the Astros as a real contender, especially if they can make a trade deadline move for a CF or another starter

Oh wow you're real close to where I grew up - I grew up near the Willowbrook area.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I assume they're also still doing reduced inning breaks? That probably contributes a tiny bit.
When did they ever shorten inning breaks? That's never been on the table, it is precious commercial time and therefore sacrosanct. We need to cut down game time so we can squeeze in MORE commercials, you see.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

When did they ever shorten inning breaks? That's never been on the table, it is precious commercial time and therefore sacrosanct. We need to cut down game time so we can squeeze in MORE commercials, you see.

They shortened commercial breaks in 2016 and again in 2019. https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/pace-of-play

quote:

MLB lowered the time between innings to 2 minutes for local broadcasts and nationally televised games in 2019. MLB had instituted times of 2 minutes, 5 seconds for local broadcasts and 2 minutes, 25 seconds for nationally televised games in 2016, decreasing these times by 20 seconds from where they were previously. Prior to the 2018 season, MLB established a separate time of 2 minutes, 55 seconds for tiebreaker and postseason games.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

Wow Bao is bad

Much like the Cubs

Oddly even knowing that we've only faced lovely batting teams so far, I'm pretty happy about the rotation. Unfortunately all the bats are trash and Krimbel is the only good reliever.

Wow Bao isn't good, but it's fine, the worst part about it is the tagline of "Hot Asian Buns"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

more falafel please posted:

Wow Bao isn't good, but it's fine, the worst part about it is the tagline of "Hot Asian Buns"

I took me far too long to realize that you and Poque were saying "Wow Bao is bad " as in the restaurant called "Wow Bao" is bad and not "Wow, bao is bad".

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Wow, Boog and JD are showing fly ball data that says the average fly ball is going 9 feet less far as it has in recent years through the same time in the season. New ball and humidors are really working it seems like.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
MLB C/V Marpril: Give Your Life to Wow Boog

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

They shortened commercial breaks in 2016 and again in 2019. https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/pace-of-play
this is some mandela effect poo poo, I can not believe it

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What a way for the Mets to win. Bases loaded hit by pitch.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that is one of the craziest ends to a game I've ever seen

and I was at the Eric Bruntlett triple play game

e: also I am going to need a gif of the Jeff McNeil bat flip

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I was just coming here to talk about how the Mets won, that was ridiculous

Not just that Conforto got hit but that he very clearly stuck his elbow over the plate to get hit and apparently that play isn't reviewable

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Baseball is just a mess in pretty much every aspect.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, the Marlins have every right to hold a grudge over that. I can't believe it's not in any way reviewable!

e: and it would have been two out, meaning the Mets would have needed either a walk, hit, or reach on error to win... and they weren't getting a hit considering they're batting .050 with RISP over the last two games.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

davecrazy posted:

lmao I just watched this and its in the drat strike zone haha.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
can't believe the mets won on the chase utley maneuver

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Some how, some way, the Cubs manage to eek out a win by the skin of their teeth against the mighty Pirates.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Reminds me of when Tabata broke up Scherzer's perfect game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osZr_L0T-iQ

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Holy poo poo he called it a strike 3 first?! That's incredible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

lmao I just watched this and its in the drat strike zone haha.

do I need to tap the sign again

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
He blatantly threw his elbow at the pitch lol, should have been strike 3.

Edit: here's the play for reference

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1380259540722126853?s=19

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Holy poo poo he called it a strike 3 first?! That's incredible.

lol yep, he called it a HBP in the middle of ringing him up

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1380257230419857408

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

davecrazy posted:

A noble tradition

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AnthonyRieber/status/1380268997661298696

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

can't believe the mets won on the chase utley maneuver
Utley was better at making it look unintentional

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:mets:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Really wild that the ump himself can't ask to see it again.

If the Mets sneak into the playoffs by a game, it'll all be on the extended elbow of Michael Conforto.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, that's actually really blatant by Conforot lol. He should not have been awarded 1st.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

at the end of all of this at least we can all be glad that we found a shot in the arm that Conforto will take

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The idea of a call like that being non-reviewable is just incredibly dumb, what is the point?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Baseball is dumb long live baseball

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I was just coming here to talk about how the Mets won, that was ridiculous

Not just that Conforto got hit but that he very clearly stuck his elbow over the plate to get hit and apparently that play isn't reviewable

It's pretty gross

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

IcePhoenix posted:

at the end of all of this at least we can all be glad that we found a shot in the arm that Conforto will take

Turns out it is a personal decision. Just, you know, by the ump

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

The idea of a call like that being non-reviewable is just incredibly dumb, what is the point?
apparently the only part of it that's reviewable is "did the ball hit him or not"

can't review:
was it a strike?
did he try to get out of the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can HBP intention be appealed to other umps? Like could the home plate umpire have asked his pals if they thought he didn't try to get out of the way?