Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Roumba posted:

If he launches Cruz out of the solar system/into the sun, I'll consider it.

hmmm.. I might have been too hasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Captain Monkey posted:

you can gently caress right off with that.

Move right into the now abandoned Humble Oil tower downtown. What better symbolism than an electric car company displacing the first gleaming skyscraper of oil and gas.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's simple, there is Q and there are Anons, there is no QAnon. What do you mean that makes no sense, it's what Q told me to say!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Russian computer person who started Q poo poo seeing it take over Texas: "Yee Haw! Gig Them, My Agricultural Friends!!"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Move right into the now abandoned Humble Oil tower downtown. What better symbolism than an electric car company displacing the first gleaming skyscraper of oil and gas.

I'd rather the building sit abandoned than Musk take possession of even a single broom closet. He can gently caress off forever.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Y'all are weird.

Elon Musk may be an rear end in a top hat, but Houston's future is dim at best as an oil and gas town. Getting the largest EV company and fastest growing automaker to move to Houston would be a huge W for the city and may help shepherd us into the future away from extractive industries. Plus, you know, there are like 10,000 people that work at Tesla - some of them may even be nice and would be a great addition to the city.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My opinion is that Tesla is a fake company propped up by memes and one day it's going to come crashing down like a house of cards.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Man, I hate Ken Paxton, I hope he's out of office soon!

*monkey paw curls*

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Sab0921 posted:

Y'all are weird.

Elon Musk may be an rear end in a top hat, but Houston's future is dim at best as an oil and gas town. Getting the largest EV company and fastest growing automaker to move to Houston would be a huge W for the city and may help shepherd us into the future away from extractive industries. Plus, you know, there are like 10,000 people that work at Tesla - some of them may even be nice and would be a great addition to the city.

Yeah, but the city would give them everything and raise taxes on all the rest of us living here.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Good annotated dissection of the terrible voter suppression bullshit:

https://twitter.com/emilyebytx/status/1380214038492295179

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Y'all are weird.

what will we do if we don't fellate a guy whose familial wealth was built off african emerald mines, and whose main contribution to companies is posting on twitter and getting fined by the SEC? what will become of our city??

edit: wait, another one --

Just what we need, more mysterious fires in Houston.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 8, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sab0921 posted:

Y'all are weird.

yea Tesla is a great longterm investment for a city to build its entire identity around, including giving them massive tax breaks and protections, whatever you do don't google Tesla's actual financial and investment trends!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Captain Monkey posted:

what will we do if we don't fellate a guy whose familial wealth was built off african emerald mines, and whose main contribution to companies is posting on twitter and getting fined by the SEC? what will become of our city??

If anything is going to bring the return of Austin's Slacker-era (those years post-S&L Crisis that resulted in a massively overbuilt city with super-cheap rents for the remaining residents who had few job opportunities but plenty of time to hang out and make stuff), it will be Tesla going all-in on Austin for several years before their massive amounts of fraud catch up to them and the whole company collapses.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

My opinion is that Tesla is a fake company propped up by memes and one day it's going to come crashing down like a house of cards.

Yeah, the problem is specifically this company and this shithead, not the concept of a large employer and EV manufacturer moving to Texas. Musk's talents are as a salesman who is very good at driving hype and maximizing government subsidies for his business, not so much engineering or design or management or any of the grunt work that goes into making a sustainable manufacturing concern. There's tons of smoke and mirrors in both Tesla's financial management and manufacturing practices, anybody who promises them hundreds of millions in tax breaks and incentives to get them to move is running the risk of winding up like Wisconsin with their Foxconn factory debacle.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Y'all are weird.

Not to keep piling on, but Houston is also going to be under water within the next 20-30 years. It has way bigger problems to deal with than getting Musk's attention. Musk is predatory pure and simple. It's how he conned Brownsville into putting in LNG poo poo in the Port of Brownsville and convinced them it's totally a good idea to put up a "spaceport" in the middle of a coastal wildlife refuge that is prone to hurricanes and tropical depression-type winds on the regular. Yeah the dude is smart, and he has decent futurist ideas, but he's willing to trample over anyone and anything in order for history to label him as a titan of industry and visionary.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I feel pretty dumb for saying "the next crash is just around the corner" since 2015 but good lord it has to happen sometime

on the flip side it seems we have a federal government that wants to keep the spigots open to prop things up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean you can already see how great an investment Tesla is with their 'hey come gentrify this city so we don't need to actually support the people already here' campaign elsewhere. It's like watching Jason hacking someone to bits and going 'we should invite him here next, I bet he'll really stimulate the local machete and hockey mask market'.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sab0921 posted:

Y'all are weird.

sir you appear to have a head injury

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Looks like a mass shooting just happened in Bryan. And there was just that big murder-suicide pact in Allen the other day. It was nice when we had that nearly year long stretch where it seemed like there weren't really any mass casualty events happening with any regularity.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 8, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1380271008637149185

lol this sucks so loving much on so many levels, can't imagine why we keep losing though!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool pics tho

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Cool pics tho

yea I mean if the goal was some nice profile pics for the coming year they aced it, not sure how 'we throw flowers at your feet to show...disrespect...' fits in with the goal of voting rights though!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

Looks like a mass shooting just happened in Bryan. And there was just that big murder-suicide pact in Allen the other day. It was nice when we had that nearly year long stretch where it seemed like there weren't really any mass casualty events happening with any regularity.

Yeah, only Texans dying from a good ole plague.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

yea I mean if the goal was some nice profile pics for the coming year they aced it, not sure how 'we throw flowers at your feet to show...disrespect...' fits in with the goal of voting rights though!

Oh that was absolutely the goal

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jiro posted:

Yeah, only Texans dying from a good ole plague.

True, good point. There's something about mass shootings that just has a different impact (no pun intended). Objectively, the pandemic has hosed my life up way more than mass shootings. Reading about shootings feels more tragic somehow, though. Maybe because the stories tend to focus more on the damaged individuals that conduct them or on the senselessness and randomness of so many of them, while stories about the pandemic are so much more often presented almost statistically.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A guy I use to work with I think worked there. Wonder if he did it

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

sexpig by night posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1380271008637149185

lol this sucks so loving much on so many levels, can't imagine why we keep losing though!

Did they workshop this idea with the people who came up with the Kardashian/Pepsi commercial

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lol at the guy who thought houston will fold without that oil and gas money. The city is a little too diversified for that, even without oil and gas it has a monstrous medical center with The premier cancer center, a big rear end port that serves the entire southwest and mission control/a bunch of NASAs training facilities. It'll take a lot more than a single industry dying to sink the city like it's Detroit or something .

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, itll take one hurricane going up the houston ship channel

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah it isn't the 80s any more. Houston would for sure hurt if O&G collapsed but we'd survive.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FoolyCharged posted:

Lol at the guy who thought houston will fold without that oil and gas money. The city is a little too diversified for that, even without oil and gas it has a monstrous medical center with The premier cancer center, a big rear end port that serves the entire southwest and mission control/a bunch of NASAs training facilities. It'll take a lot more than a single industry dying to sink the city like it's Detroit or something .

True. Now Beaumont on the other hand...

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

if the geology people I know and see on linkedin are any indication o&g is in a shedding weight cycle right now anyways

Speaking of energy- my electricity provider emailed me and said they were getting out of the selling electricity to people game

email posted:

Green Energy Exchange truly appreciates your business and has enjoyed serving as your retail electricity provider. Due to the recent extreme winter weather events, ATG Clean Energy Holdings Inc. dba Green Energy Exchange (TX PUCT # 10263) has decided to transfer the management of electricity services for its customers to MP2 Energy Texas LLC (TX PUCT # 10174), a Shell Energy North America subsidiary. MP2 Energy will honor your existing contracts and rates – you will not be put on some of the extremely high rate plans you may hear about in the news.
:toot:

I wonder how many of these companies are belly up or in the process of shutting down or retooling now

whenever my contract expires I guess I’ll go on powertochoose.org and find the cheapest one with no minimum fees again

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Man I love property appraisal notice time, local social media is going batshit loving crazy right now. Comal county is growing so fast and property values are shooting up.

Everyone wants top dollar when it’s time to sell, but come tax time they can’t believe it.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

wolfs posted:

if the geology people I know and see on linkedin are any indication o&g is in a shedding weight cycle right now anyways

Speaking of energy- my electricity provider emailed me and said they were getting out of the selling electricity to people game

:toot:

I wonder how many of these companies are belly up or in the process of shutting down or retooling now

whenever my contract expires I guess I’ll go on powertochoose.org and find the cheapest one with no minimum fees again

I have a friend that works in the bankruptcy section of a Big Law firm in Houston and the answer is all of them.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

jokes posted:

The Russian computer person who started Q poo poo seeing it take over Texas: "Yee Haw! Gig Them, My Agricultural Friends!!"

Zdraste, serfs and laborers, I have a small folk tale for you. Old Pок was contemplating the nature of good and evil, and he said to no one in particular “Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth.” Then he killed two women, and the Cossacks came and killed the rest of the pochinki.

And that is what we will exactly do to them!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

FoolyCharged posted:

Did you ever wonder why the premier cancer center is in Houston?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

saintonan posted:

Did you ever wonder why the premier cancer center is in Houston?

It's because of NASA isn't it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Because it being the major port for the southwest turned it into a huge trading hub and one of the largest cities in the country? The city initially grew before oil existed and it will still exist even if oil crashes. Does it have a ton of money in oil and will take a big hit if oil and gas magically vanish? Absolutely.

But it won't turn into a shithole and die without the magical intervention of a man whose claim to fortune is being a giant shithead with a cult of personality that let's him abuse the hell out of his employees.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Because it being the major port for the southwest turned it into a huge trading hub and one of the largest cities in the country? The city initially grew before oil existed and it will still exist even if oil crashes. Does it have a ton of money in oil and will take a big hit if oil and gas magically vanish? Absolutely.

But it won't turn into a shithole and die without the magical intervention of a man whose claim to fortune is being a giant shithead with a cult of personality that let's him abuse the hell out of his employees.

Buzbee isn't THAT bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

IT BURNS posted:

Buzbee isn't THAT bad...

I will always like Buzbee just a little bit for parking a tank on the street in River Oaks.