Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for whoever recommended and provided the info about KHC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I like Macs and all but they’ve had some absolute stinkers over the years, the original core duo MacBook Pro I had was hot garbage.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

pmchem posted:

30-year treasury bond futures: is the symbol for them anything OTHER than /ZB on any exchange/brokerage/app?
Maybe ZBM1 for the June futures if they specify by expiry date

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

pmchem posted:

30-year treasury bond futures: is the symbol for them anything OTHER than /ZB on any exchange/brokerage/app?

/ZNM is on TD

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jimong5 posted:

I like Macs and all but they’ve had some absolute stinkers over the years, the original core duo MacBook Pro I had was hot garbage.

I had that one as well, real garbage product. The lid was slightly warped (Iike pretty much all of them) and the Nvidia graphics card would self-destruct after a while - mine lasted less than two years.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tetramin posted:

/ZNM is on TD

hmm, do they also have /ZN or is it only /ZNM? on thinkorswim, /ZN and /ZNM21 are identical contracts

(and yes that's 10-year not 30-year)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks for whoever recommended and provided the info about KHC

I wrote some words about it here ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3259986&pagenumber=2248&perpage=40&highlight=khc#post513034320 ) but then didn't buy it myself because it never dropped to my target price

oh well

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Fame Douglas posted:

I had that one as well, real garbage product. The lid was slightly warped (Iike pretty much all of them) and the Nvidia graphics card would self-destruct after a while - mine lasted less than two years.

Seriously, this is why I never got another Mac. I was so mad

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pmchem posted:

I wrote some words about it here ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3259986&pagenumber=2248&perpage=40&highlight=khc#post513034320 ) but then didn't buy it myself because it never dropped to my target price

oh well
I was looking for the tip hat emoji, but after scrolling through so many options on SAapp and not finding it, i found a rather appropriate one, even though the visual doesn’t quite match

:stonkhat:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

pmchem posted:

hmm, do they also have /ZN or is it only /ZNM? on thinkorswim, /ZN and /ZNM21 are identical contracts

(and yes that's 10-year not 30-year)

Ah yep I forgot the question was regarding 30 year. I think you’re gonna have a hard time trying to track bond futures in your brokerage app

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
SPY is STILL mooning. What gives? Everything soared after the good news on the infrastructure plans from Biden, but I don't have any idea on what's driving up this price after that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Umbreon posted:

SPY is STILL mooning. What gives? Everything soared after the good news on the infrastructure plans from Biden, but I don't have any idea on what's driving up this price after that.

stocks always go up

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Tetramin posted:

Ah yep I forgot the question was regarding 30 year. I think you’re gonna have a hard time trying to track bond futures in your brokerage app

No problem with TOS mobile:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Baddog posted:

I think you meant to say "some 'fun money' I forgot about in the corner over there". That wasn't a serious-man serious-plan long term retirement investment that you've held onto all this time, is it???

Told a dude who worked for me in 2007 that apple was way overvalued and he shouldn't be buying so much of it. That position I have at 15 is from when I realized what a loving wrong headed rear end in a top hat I was about that. Well, it did hit 3 bucks there in 2008 when we all thought global collapse was imminent and stocks were worthless, so I was right for a tiny period of time.

Well, I'm 29 so "responsibility" wasn't a concept to me until way, way later. I bought that when I was 19 with saved up summer bucks and I decided I'm gonna keep on letting it ride. I'll probably die without ever selling so my kids get a lesson in step-up basis.

In my real retirement I have like 2% of my total portfolio in specific stocks, but I think the last time I really did some digging was 2-3 years ago, when I discovered my retirement was 15% apple (albeit through ETFs and MFs) and so I decided on rejiggering and diversifying away from heavy tech weighting.

e: I now expect some erstwhile goon to post about his $0.25 basis in Apple from the 90s and blow everyone's tits off.

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 9, 2021

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, mine was way too hot and just crap, but the Mac Pro I got to replace it lasted me 10 years so a bit of give and take.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

pmchem posted:

oh well

I will never forgive myself for missing the boat on ketchup futures.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Heinz sight's 20/20

java
May 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

Godfuckingdamnit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-LeTFM8zo

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

Can we goldmine a thread for one post?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

Lol

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

lol

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pmchem posted:

oh well

After your post I also bought it after some minor research. Thank you for the suggestion. Just wish I'd bought more.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

wowzer :captainpop:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

Thread title

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SlothBear posted:

Can we goldmine a thread for one post?

After that and the house-buying thread content GGGC should have 2 goldmined threads

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

:golfclap:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heinz sight's 20/20

gently caress you I was gonna make that joke but fell asleep drunk as gently caress. Eh whatever, you deserve it :v:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nightwisher posted:

gently caress you I was gonna make that joke but fell asleep drunk as gently caress. Eh whatever, you deserve it :v:

Stolen comedy valor.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Stop Huntsing for jokes!

Is there a fee or interest charge to short sell a stock? I am on E*Trade and have Googled and looked at their site. I guess if I cared enough I would wait two hours on the phone for customer support. IDK why I think that, only about 'hedges are losing millions a day on the GMC short squeeze in interest!!! Diamond Hands!"

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
That joke was also on Colbert earlier this week.

Content:

NASDAQ: TWCT has announced a DA with Israeli company Cellebrite Digital Intelligence.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/shareholder-notice-brodsky-smith-llc-223600251.html

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

Stop Huntsing for jokes!

Is there a fee or interest charge to short sell a stock? I am on E*Trade and have Googled and looked at their site. I guess if I cared enough I would wait two hours on the phone for customer support. IDK why I think that, only about 'hedges are losing millions a day on the GMC short squeeze in interest!!! Diamond Hands!"

You should not be doing this if you don’t have a very explicit understanding of how this works. You could will turbofuck yourself doing this.

Seriously. This is the reason a bunch of hedge funds are rapidly freaking out over the GME stuff. If hedge funds hosed up doing short sales you’re very likely to gently caress it up too.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You should not be doing this if you don’t have a very explicit understanding of how this works. You could will turbofuck yourself doing this.

Seriously. This is the reason a bunch of hedge funds are rapidly freaking out over the GME stuff. If hedge funds hosed up doing short sales you’re very likely to gently caress it up too.

Yeah, thanks, needed a slap in the face. Not doing options either because I don't fully understand them. I am just a bull, all I can do!

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

Michael Corleone posted:

Yeah, thanks, needed a slap in the face. Not doing options either because I don't fully understand them. I am just a bull, all I can do!

I’m looking forward to you doing it anyway and posting about it. Godspeed

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I expect a lot of sentences ending with exclamation points!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The only winning move is not to play.

But also yolo it's your money, you do you

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have a general question about writing covered calls:

do you only lose money if the underlying price declines to lower than your [cost basis] - [premium/share received for selling the call] ?

if I have 100 shares of something I bought at $40/share, the current price is $50.

I write a $55 strike call and sell it for $1/share or $100 in premium.

if the price at expiry is $39 < x < $55, my call is worthless and I have my shares + $100.

if the price is > $55 my call is exercised and I have $100 + (price) * 100, of which (price - 40) *100 + $100 is profit.

if the price is $35, I have shares + $100, but I'd have been better off selling the shares because they were locked up during the life of the call I wrote?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I have a general question about writing covered calls:

do you only lose money if the underlying price declines to lower than your [cost basis] - [premium/share received for selling the call] ?

if I have 100 shares of something I bought at $40/share, the current price is $50.

I write a $55 strike call and sell it for $1/share or $100 in premium.

if the price at expiry is $39 < x < $55, my call is worthless and I have my shares + $100.

if the price is > $55 my call is exercised and I have $100 + (price) * 100, of which (price - 40) *100 + $100 is profit.

if the price is $35, I have shares + $100, but I'd have been better off selling the shares because they were locked up during the life of the call I wrote?

Sure but now your technical cost basis is $39 so you could sell covered calls for $43 or something and collect premium and keep doing that every week/month

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Darth TNT posted:

Just wish I'd bought more.

I bought a little SCM a month ago, and it's up 13% since; I had a limit buy that never came in for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

Sure but now your technical cost basis is $39 so you could sell covered calls for $43 or something and collect premium and keep doing that every week/month

Follow up: if I have shares of a well known stock I've held for ~10 years, to the point that if the stock were to fall to my cost basis it would probably coincide with the breakdown of civilized life on earth, is there any reason I should not be regularly selling covered calls on my shares?