Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remaking a gameboy game is not making a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've always had the feeling that Nintendo actively hates their customers. They have creative, smart people working there but they also have an air of being incredibly backwards and stodgy. Also, they loving hate online stuff and seem to try and make anything online be as obtuse and worthless as possible with the exception of maybe Mario maker and mario kart.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's because they are incredibly backwards and stodgy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That's zaibatsu life baby

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

even as a gameplay concession the vents that open when you scan them with your camera in hitman 3 are just about the dumbest goddamn thing imaginable and they take me right out of the game whenever i encounter one outside of like the techier areas of chongqing or maybe parts of the skyscraper in dubai

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

you're joking i know but apparently acnh secretly just obtains and connects to the host's ip address but punches through nintendo's servers anyway so you need to use their online service lol

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

Remaking a gameboy game is not making a game

The unfortunate things about that game are the price tag, weird need to actually buy the thing in physical media*, the length and the graphics that look like they're out of a jell-o mold.

However the gameplay and cuteness of the mobile game on a mobile platform are decent and a lot of people enjoy it.

*which means limited availability

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fur20 posted:

you're joking i know but apparently acnh secretly just obtains and connects to the host's ip address but punches through nintendo's servers anyway so you need to use their online service lol

they are most likely using the servers for NAT Hole-punching, the same way Halo (which also had peer-to-peer connections) always worked on Xbox.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they are most likely using the servers for NAT Hole-punching, the same way Halo (which also had peer-to-peer connections) always worked on Xbox.

well yeah of course that's the easy way to do it but these days you can write that into your netcode if you know what you're doing (i dont lol), no server middleman needed

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
how on earth do you do NAT hole-punching without a middleman
the whole point is that it needs a middleman server that isn't behind NAT

Your PC/switch/xbox/etc only knows its adddress on the local network. It doesn't know your router's external IP address and doesn't know which port the router will randomly assign it for outgoing connections. You send a message to some third-party server asking it "hey pleasehelp". It sees your actual external IP and port and sends it to the peer you want to connect to so they know where to send packets.

You can't send that message directly to the other peer because they are ALSO behind NAT and ALSO don't know their public IP/Port.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mr. Lobe posted:

That's zaibatsu life baby

average age of nintendo employee is 40, average tenure is 13 years

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

Going back to eurojank, euro companies were the worst at creating platformer characters. Mainly referring to Amiga games. Whenever Amiga graphicians tried to draw cute stuff it ended up looking wonky. They were a lot better at doing edgy dark stuff.

Two exceptions are James Pond and Superfrog. They were nice characters.

in europe we dont know what cute even means and our cartoons look like this:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

amiga platform mascots make a lot of sense if you understand that for us, "cute animal" = "talking animal"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The unfortunate things about that game are the price tag, weird need to actually buy the thing in physical media*, the length and the graphics that look like they're out of a jell-o mold.

However the gameplay and cuteness of the mobile game on a mobile platform are decent and a lot of people enjoy it.

*which means limited availability

Playing it handheld sucks though, the frame rate is super inconsistent so everything feels really jerky. Like even back when I didn’t really notice frame rate stuff because I was used to playing everything at 30fps at best it put me right off the game. If you can’t have a high framerate at least lock it at something stable instead of going up to 60 and then constantly cratering.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

!Klams posted:

The B.P.R.D comics are awesome, and arguably better stories than the non-Mignola Hellboy stuff. I must admit I didn't 'quite' finish collecting it all, but that was more to do with losing track of what I didn't have than losing interest. There was suddenly a big spike of like, Lobster Johnson, Abe Sapien, Witchfinder etc spin offs and while I love them all dearly, it did get a bit much.

The art IS loving boss though,

since we're on video games, that art style reminds me of the Darkest Dungeon so much. My unpopular opinion is that the sequel so far doesn't really grab me. It seems like it's the same characters from the first one, which is a bit of a disappointment. Each character was some sort of a tragic hero, anti-hero, or random goon already one foot upon the path to madness. I loved it. But there's just so much opportunity for new characters I'm not really thrilled that it seems somewhat the same. It's early enough yet, I could be totally wrong. The quoted artwork above just reminded me of it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Finnish mascot games were cute.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

lmao

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Kennel posted:

Kunto

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Diablo 2 Resurrected

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I will enjoy no longer being figurative when I say that Diablo 2 was the last Diablo ever released.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Darkest Dungeon was a very good game, I never bothered beating it but it was a lot of fun. It has a great aesthetic, too

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The sound of a critical hit in Darkest Dungeon followed immediately by the narrator whispering "Destroyed..." will always have a special place in my heart. It's right up there with the death of Arachnotrons in Doom II for awesome sound design moments.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kaincypher posted:

since we're on video games, that art style reminds me of the Darkest Dungeon so much.

Who do you think they stole their aesthetic from? Imitation being the most sincere form of flattery and all that. I've mentioned before about how Mignolia's work is so influential that I'm actually kinda sick of all the lovely steam games trying to ape it ever since DD's success.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Phigs posted:

I will enjoy no longer being figurative when I say that Diablo 2 was the last Diablo ever released.

Speaking of, Blizzard farting out Diablo 4 for mobile while this is a thing is pretty drat funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCDIBA2Icls

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lodin posted:

Speaking of, Blizzard farting out Diablo 4 for mobile while this is a thing is pretty drat funny.

The only ARPG I could possibly be less interested than a Diablo mobile game is more Path of Exile stuff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

on the one hand now that bethesda has been rereleasing old games with some nice touchups i want them to give morrowind a bit of love and re-release it on switch or something

on the other hand i do enjoy having free time occasionally

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Kennel posted:

I fuckin love UnReal World

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Rockman Reserve posted:

on the one hand now that bethesda has been rereleasing old games with some nice touchups i want them to give morrowind a bit of love and re-release it on switch or something

on the other hand i do enjoy having free time occasionally

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time and they shouldn't even bother. There are such great mods and even a multiplayer mod. Morrowind and STALKER mods are miles above any other games' mods.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lodin posted:

Spear boy looking fun

More games should have spears, and spear action. It's a little stupid that it's always swords, axes, and maces like the most common and successful military weapon for thousands of years wasn't a spear.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i agree, its still the melee weapon id choose if i had to, for some reason. not too heavy, can throw it, dont have to get too close to poke or stab with it, you can do that spin trick, etc. even holding a broom is fun.

meanwhile in Valheim its the worst weapon with the smallest range and hit box

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

jokes posted:

Spear boy looking fun

More games should have spears, and spear action. It's a little stupid that it's always swords, axes, and maces like the most common and successful military weapon for thousands of years wasn't a spear.

morrowind has spears

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

morrowind has spears

:vince:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Castelsarrasin bloodlines the other dudes got a spear that wrecks poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lifts-Her-Tail
I must finish my cleaning, sir. The mistress will have my head if I do not!

Crantius Colto
Cleaning, eh? I have something for you. Here, polish my spear.

Lifts-Her-Tail
But it is huge! It could take me all night!

Crantius Colto
Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.

END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bet you didn't even have to look it up, just straight from the noggin

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Meme Poker Party posted:

Lifts-Her-Tail
I must finish my cleaning, sir. The mistress will have my head if I do not!

Crantius Colto
Cleaning, eh? I have something for you. Here, polish my spear.

Lifts-Her-Tail
But it is huge! It could take me all night!

Crantius Colto
Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.

END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

the ending of the words is ALMSIVI

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vivec, like all reasonable people that attain CHIM, was both Argonian and Colto. I'm sure there's a mod for it.

gently caress CHIM rules. More game writers should do drugs when writing side content/worldbuilding.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

jokes posted:

Vivec, like all reasonable people that attain CHIM, was both Argonian and Colto. I'm sure there's a mod for it.

gently caress CHIM rules. More game writers should do drugs when writing side content/worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the ending of the words is ALMSIVI

reach heaven by violence

i've heard this story for years but the picture has to be fake, right? i thought tes3 was straight up before todd howard was at bethesda?