Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Zaphod42 posted:

Its funny looking back on how I played D2 as a kid when it first came out. Clearing out EVERY pointless little mob of every single dungeon. Took ages just to reach Hell.

To be honest I still do this, although with a bowazon or a frenzy barb it's pretty quick. I know at some point I have to transition to doing runs of things though and I don't know if the game will still hold my interest after a little while of doing that. I'm slowly weaning myself away from my obsession with picking up every single magic item to take and sell and every little pile of gold, or spending hours gambling with my millions. I don't think I'll ever be one of those guys with an entire inventory full of charms, but I'm making progress in that regard and playing a frenzy barb really helps since you zip around so fast it's hard to stop and pick stuff up. On my Paladin and my Bowazon that have hit hell, I'm slowly reaching the point where I'm comfortable only picking up runes/gems/charms/jewellery and items that are set/unique or elite/likely to have + skill mods/likely to be useful to another character etc. At least I'm not picking up every stray magic short sword I come across any more but it's hard going because identifying stuff is so addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Technical Alpha Info for the remaster

TLDR: Invites to the first public alpha test will be sent out to folks who pre-registered on the website starting 7am PT Friday. The test will run until 10am PT Monday, and will let you play Acts 1 and 2 in single player with the Amazon, Barbarian and Sorceress. Save imports and fully-offline play are disabled for the test, and the FMVs are still the old ones as placeholders. There's no restrictions on video recording or streaming, and there will be more public tests before release.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I like in the trailer it looks like it will still stutter when you break open the wall to Duriels chamber

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Trumpazon and Dadbodbarian still amuses me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THE BAR posted:

lmao

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I really thought you were naming two obscure builds for a second.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

the FMVs are still the old ones as placeholders

they really need to remaster these into 4k

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

cigaw posted:

I really thought you were naming two obscure builds for a second.

After waking up and scrolling through the thread again, as was I. :(

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

codo27 posted:

Still cant believe you can only walk in the first game

The fan HD remake (Belzebub I think?) adds running outside of dungeons and honestly, makes walking in dungeons ok as long as I'm not slowly pacing in town

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
"Runs"

It's just a really fast shuffle.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The fan HD remake (Belzebub I think?) adds running outside of dungeons and honestly, makes walking in dungeons ok as long as I'm not slowly pacing in town

Belz hasn't been updated in years. A new person has taken over the multiplayer component, called Tchernobog. They just added a new class, Spellblade.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

"Runs"

It's just a really fast shuffle.

Which was added in the Hellfire expansion. It's literally the normal movement animation sped up x2.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
There was also either a “run” or fast walk in town option in the Playstation version that was pretty much that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

THE BAR posted:

Which was added in the Hellfire expansion. It's literally the normal movement animation sped up x2.

I'm just making a wisecrack about the fact that it's called a run when it's just the walk sped up. It looks so stupid that I don't even use it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

I'm just making a wisecrack about the fact that it's called a run when it's just the walk sped up. It looks so stupid that I don't even use it.

It also makes the cloning glitch way harder to pull off. :(

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Kazvall posted:

Belz hasn't been updated in years. A new person has taken over the multiplayer component, called Tchernobog. They just added a new class, Spellblade.

What needs to be updated about it? Seemed very playable when I last booted it up

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What needs to be updated about it? Seemed very playable when I last booted it up

Oh, I'm just saying that Tcherno has carried on with many updates and fixes (that I don't know off the top of my head). Minus not having quests yet, it's pretty drat good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I played a ton of Beelzebub and it was good. D1 holds up better than I imagined it would.

Anybody play Resurrected or watch streams today? I caught a bit of one stream and it just looked to be D2 with better graphics, which is all I want. But I didn't watch that long. Inventory/character/etc are full screen instead of half for some reason, I don't know if that's a setting or what.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I played a ton of Beelzebub and it was good. D1 holds up better than I imagined it would.

Anybody play Resurrected or watch streams today? I caught a bit of one stream and it just looked to be D2 with better graphics, which is all I want. But I didn't watch that long. Inventory/character/etc are full screen instead of half for some reason, I don't know if that's a setting or what.

I also caught bits of a stream today and their menus were half screen like the original game so I think it's a setting. I also saw the expanded stash and separate shared stash, which is something direly needed in all games of this genre.

It was also a bit of a surprise whenever the streamer switched back and forth between the new and old graphics, the devs are doing a great job on keeping the feel of the original while updating it to modern standards.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Really enjoyed watching the streams. MrLlamaSC is a great streamer, and he seems to be enjoying it. Love the new graphics and no surprising hiccups (given that it's still in alpha) or awful aesthetic choices.

Fire skills look great, lightning skills look good, cold are hit or miss. Really excited to see more, would love to get an invite tomorrow but I bet the odds are long...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
inventory looks so tiny after playing PD2 with the double-size inventory/charms inventory. so hosed up they didnt crib that lol. sooo hosed up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Smythe posted:

inventory looks so tiny after playing PD2 with the double-size inventory/charms inventory. so hosed up they didnt crib that lol. sooo hosed up.

:emptyquote:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Smythe posted:

its kind of mind blowing how many good qol changes they could have made and didnt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
anyone have a link to some vods of the streams?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

its kind of mind blowing how many good qol changes they could have made and didnt

You forgetting the company we're talking about?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

anyone have a link to some vods of the streams?

https://twitch.tv/videos/979956198

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gone Fashing posted:

one issue is a lot of people will complain. I'm not one of them. You can always start up old d2 and play on old d2 pservers or single player. Resurrected should definitely offer an "expansion 2" mode where they try to clean up some dated and misguided design choices that were aimed at how people played the game in 2005 rather than how people play it in 2021.

As much as I play tons of d2 every year, I dislike the high rune and charm systems in expansion. I end up playing lots of classic now when ladders reset on various servers. I like the average power level, where you don't severely outscale the content, and I like that getting 95% optimal gear takes way less time than in expansion while still offering completely out of reach chase gear. If I did speed runs I'd do expansion, and I still do play expansion some ladders. I always sour on it for the same reasons - you massively outscale content, high runes gate gear for non-sorc builds I'd consider, and managing stash/inventory with constant muling or chucking mildly useful stuff is super annoying. If I want to play hammerdin I need enigma, but if I farmed the runes for enigma I probably farmed the runes for infinity and/or coh, and at that point why am I switching to a hammerdin.

Expansion has way better pvp except for maybe the niche bvb and svs in classic, but the last time I played in a pvp league was 10 years ago.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 9, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know its only tech alpha but is there not a thread for the remake? Which one of you fucks got an invite?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Aren't they allowing modding? Cant we have our cake and eat it too? I'd rather they get the base game 100% right and not focus on extra stuff. The community was always best at adding things. If they are given/allowed to use proper tools and not just hex editing or a total engine rewrite, I think we might get some cool stuff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

codo27 posted:

I know its only tech alpha but is there not a thread for the remake? Which one of you fucks got an invite?

I'll make a new thread when it's closer to release.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

codo27 posted:

From how I read it, they're sending them out in waves today (and only started 1.5 hours ago I think?) so there's still a chance.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
Here's an ongoing stream of Resurrected for those who want to see it, the streamer is even playing it on controller:

https://www.twitch.tv/fextralife

(I don't know anything about this streamer, so apologies in advance if he's a mega-racist or whatever.)

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Just got my email and saw I could select the technical alpha in the Blizzard app. Time to see how quickly my carpal tunnel comes back!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The new sprite graphics and realtime lighting look so, so good. So much better than Diablo 3. You don't see AAA doing high quality 2D art much anymore so its pretty wild to see done to that level.

I really like the idea of D2 but for modern resolutions and better graphics, but man I don't trust current Blizzard for poo poo. Warcraft 3 remaster was such poo poo and they still haven't and won't really ever fix how bad that was.

Kazvall posted:

Aren't they allowing modding? Cant we have our cake and eat it too? I'd rather they get the base game 100% right and not focus on extra stuff. The community was always best at adding things. If they are given/allowed to use proper tools and not just hex editing or a total engine rewrite, I think we might get some cool stuff.

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm glad they're actually trying to keep it pretty close to the original, lest they gently caress things up. Mods can always change things if they allow modding.

The problem there is I don't trust ActiBlizzard.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

The new sprite graphics and realtime lighting look so, so good. So much better than Diablo 3. You don't see AAA doing high quality 2D art much anymore so its pretty wild to see done to that level.

I really like the idea of D2 but for modern resolutions and better graphics, but man I don't trust current Blizzard for poo poo. Warcraft 3 remaster was such poo poo and they still haven't and won't really ever fix how bad that was.

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm glad they're actually trying to keep it pretty close to the original, lest they gently caress things up. Mods can always change things if they allow modding.

The problem there is I don't trust ActiBlizzard.

Oh, it is 2D art? I assumed those were just 3D models. Maybe there's hope that Median will one day get ported over then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

Oh, it is 2D art? I assumed those were just 3D models. Maybe there's hope that Median will one day get ported over then.

I could totally be wrong. But from the look of things I thought it was still using sprite art, but with normal mapping for realtime sprite lighting. Either way the sprites in D2 started as 3d models and got baked to 2d images. But they may be full 3d real-time renders in the remaster I could be wrong. Looks that way to me though. There's some camera-facing sprites for fire and stuff too... but then of course that could all be forced in proper 3d if you really wanted to get the same aesthetic so its hard to know without having the devs say for sure.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 9, 2021

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Mordja posted:

No, the new remastered assets are definitely 3D models.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

No, the new remastered assets are definitely 3D models.

What makes you say definitely?

The game still has 8 way movement right? So its basically impossible to tell visually.

E: They're definitely not hand-drawn 2d sprites, neither were diablo 2's. That's not what I was saying if y'all were thinking that, read it again.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 9, 2021

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

What makes you say definitely?

The game still has 8 way movement right? So its basically impossible to tell visually.

It's still 8 way movement, but you can watch the character models interpolate between those directions. It would be so much more work to make everything a 2D asset from a 3D model than just using 3D assets in a 3D world with a fixed camera.

Here's a short clip I recorded
https://streamable.com/tjhfrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

It's still 8 way movement, but you can watch the character models interpolate between those directions. It would be so much more work to make everything a 2D asset from a 3D model than just using 3D assets in a 3D world with a fixed camera.

Here's a short clip I recorded
https://streamable.com/tjhfrs

Hm, its definitely higher frame rate so things would look smoother anyways, but that clip does look pretty 3D. (Course with good normal mapping and lighting and rendering it from high detail its pretty hard to tell what's actually rendering where)
I don't have the game so I'm just working off the trailer but I should look up some of the people who streamed it.

Some things definitely look 2D still, the perspective is totally isometric and effects sprites all seem to face the camera in a very sprite like fashion, and I thought I remembered them saying they were still running a lot of the same engine code underneath the new remaster layer, which would make sense to keep things somewhat similar and use sprites then... but yeah maybe not.

I guess the higher frame rates and the increased detail and the number of different possible equip-able items means that it'd be prohibitively large to bake them all out as sprites. Dang, ah well.

E: Hm, it is running the original Diablo 2 and you can jump back and forth between graphics, and the only anti-aliasing options are TXAA and SMAA, so those point to it not being fully 3d. The spell effects and environments still look like sprites to me (could even be a hybrid), but again until the devs say its pretty hard to tell if either is done well.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 9, 2021