Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Regalingualius posted:

But then you’re missing out on the final boss’s English performance :(
(Because a goon here hasn't played it, so I ain't going to rain on their parade)
Listen, Mr. Duncan did a fantastic job as Sen. Armstrong but let it never be said that the great late Unshou Ishizuka wasn't also a fantastically hammy motherfucker when it was needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scratchman Apoo posted:

At the risk of diluting the topic of Vic Mignogna, Quinton Flynn has been outed as being rather skeevy as well.

https://www.thegamer.com/quinton-flynn-sexual-predator-harassment-kingdom-hearts-metal-gear/

Something might be weird with James Arnold Taylor, too. He claims he has nothing to do with having a Parler account but apparently until it was brought up publicly his site linked to it.

Slightly more related because the accusations dropped at the same time, did anything come of Todd Haberkorn's accusations?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The fact that JAT is denying the claims rather than doubling down like most secret chuds end up doing honestly makes me trust him a slight bit more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chris Niosi is another one I'd forgotten about but he's got a big long apology out.

https://twitter.com/Kirbopher/status/1329478483639115776

It's not great. "I underwent a controversy" is not a good way to start.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Skwirl posted:

I just loving re-installed Revengeance because I never beat it. Dammit.

I kinda get this, I had to stop playing Astral Chain because I just couldn't deal with playing as a cop in these times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

Chris Niosi is another one I'd forgotten about but he's got a big long apology out.

Is it just me, or is there a lot of "Please forget about what happened and hire/like me again" in the subtext?

To be clear, I'm all for people realizing they are assholes and working to improve themselves, but the wording in this is very sterile and doesn't ring true to me.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Specifically calling out things he says he didn't do makes the admissions of guilt seem more vague and sterile in retrospect. There is merit to the idea he's saying though. If people can demonstrate change, they should be able to be forgiven.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Specifically calling out things he says he didn't do makes the admissions of guilt seem more vague and sterile in retrospect. There is merit to the idea he's saying though. If people can demonstrate change, they should be able to be forgiven.

Absolutely. It just read weird, like what Neddy pointed out above.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it just me, or is there a lot of "Please forget about what happened and hire/like me again" in the subtext?

To be clear, I'm all for people realizing they are assholes and working to improve themselves, but the wording in this is very sterile and doesn't ring true to me.

Yeah, it kinda feels like he is fishing for a pity party to me tbh.

The death threats and incitement are awful but he didn't have to and probably shouldn't have engaged the negatives at all and it dilutes the apology. That and the passive voice refusal to engage with the specific negative actions he is guilty of make the whole thing suspect in my eyes. (But you know totally had time to carve out and make a gallery of the specific lovely things people said to and about him)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 21, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Dawgstar posted:

Absolutely. It just read weird, like what Neddy pointed out above.

Yeah I'm just emphasizing the forgiveness aspect of situations like this, which was more of an implied part of what Neddy said.

e: to be clear, I have no idea who this guy is so I'm not trying to comment on if this guy in particular deserves forgiveness or not

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah, it kinda feels like he is fishing for a pity party to me tbh.

The death threats and incitement are awful but he didn't have to and probably shouldn't have engaged the negatives at all and it dilutes the apology. That and the passive voice refusal to engage with the specific negative actions he is guilty of make the whole thing suspect in my eyes. (But you know totally had time to carve out and make a gallery of the specific lovely things people said to and about him)

Yeah, the death threats and incitements are nothing to make light of but if I had to boil the whole thing down to its basic message I think it'd be "I've moved past all this and become a better person, why can't you the reader move past this and become a better person too? Like me; the victim in all this."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A number of voice actors that I follow who seem like good people (like Kayli Mills and Erica Lindbeck) are standing up for him and how he's changed, so I'm willing to give him some credit, even if his statement is not great.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Passive voice, the old standby of cowards who take no responsibility.

I wonder if Vic will also hire a Martian on Fiverr to write a similar plea for people to love him again.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Midjack posted:

I wonder if Vic will also hire a Martian on Fiverr to write a similar plea for people to love him again.

Vic has too much of an ego to even pretend to accept that he did anything wrong.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

A number of voice actors that I follow who seem like good people (like Kayli Mills and Erica Lindbeck) are standing up for him and how he's changed, so I'm willing to give him some credit, even if his statement is not great.
:same: It kinda felt a little off left-field because I thought "Hey, didn't he get suspended/deactivated his twitter account?" and that he was going away to actually take a good look at himself.

Then I remember that it's been over a year since that time and I gosh-darn old at how 1 year flew by.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

Then I remember that it's been over a year since that time and I gosh-darn old at how 1 year flew by.

tbf, 2020 feels like 10 years in one so its not surprising

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, my admitted first reaction was thinking that he’s trying to get ahead of something new.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was the guests' airport-venue-hotel driver when he came to Anime Evolution in 2010, and that text is certainly in his genuine voice. Take from that what you will.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dawgstar posted:

He's a piece of poo poo and should not be trusted.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 21, 2020

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just piping in as I know a handful of his victims and he hasn't reached out to a single one or reconciled anything. And he has in fact raped someone before 100%.

I might be dumb, but do you have a source for that rape claim?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was being insanely stupid

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 21, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not that I could post without permission. I know the victim (only by their real name) and I'm pretty sure they don't want me to just drop it.

On the one hand, I get why you're saying this, but on the other: you understand how this is one of the most unhelpful ways you could approach this situation at all, and if you're gonna do this you should probably have respected their wishes to begin with?

e: like, vagueposting about it is the worst of both options

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't accuse people of rape if you aren't able to produce actual evidence.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The follow up tweet where he talks about he's had a bunch of false accusations and that he's "NOT a criminal" isn't a great addendum to the apology.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not that I could post without permission. I know the victim (only by their real name) and I'm pretty sure they don't want me to just drop it.
uhhh if they told you not to talk about it then dont talk about it dude

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

I was the guests' airport-venue-hotel driver when he came to Anime Evolution in 2010, and that text is certainly in his genuine voice. Take from that what you will.

Any other folks you could point us in the direction to steer clear from? Or is that kind of a no-fly zone?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mors Rattus posted:

On the one hand, I get why you're saying this, but on the other: you understand how this is one of the most unhelpful ways you could approach this situation at all, and if you're gonna do this you should probably have respected their wishes to begin with?

e: like, vagueposting about it is the worst of both options

It's fair, we were talking about it and 'I just wish people would know the truth' and I took it into my own hands which I shouldn't have done.

Editted out my post

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Any other folks you could point us in the direction to steer clear from? Or is that kind of a no-fly zone?

Regarding Chris: let me be clear when I say that's "his genuine voice" I'm saying that he types the way he speaks. (For some people, including one of my closest friends, it's the polar opposite and they sound like totally different people online.) I read that message, like any of his other tweets, and can 'hear' it in his voice. In all the time I was driving him around he didn't make any inappropriate/angry remarks or engage in any misconduct. We talked about regular stuff.

As for your questions: column A, column B.

1) As it is right now (and especially with 20 and 21's cons getting cancelled, including ours) I'm not aware of any other recurring industry/fan guests being accused of improper conduct or having reputations thereof, which leads to:

2) Sometimes these scandals and backlash arise from stuff in the accused's personal lives, which leads to a whole other set of ethical questions and boundaries especially in regards to things like evidence, witnesses and liabilities (for both conventions and their venues), which leads to:

3) "Believe all victims" doesn't erase the necessity for due process, even if the accusations aren't necessarily criminal in nature because:

4) Slander and libel are still legally contestable and scandalous in their own right, so unless one is a PR professional, a lawyer, or works in law enforcement, it is VERY wise to tread lightly. You don't want something bad happening during your con any more than you want your con to get put on blast for stepping out of line, or alienating other potential future guests from ever having anything to do with you because, say, someone on staff amplified a rumor, or worse yet, a proven lie about another semi-famous friend of theirs before doing the proper due diligence. This is the Misinformation Age, and tweet mobs don't care. If you're part of an organization, you have to. Or at least ethically, ought to.

If one wants a heads-up about who they should be wary of inviting to their con, they might want to consider seeking out a member of We Run Anime Cons, not just because that group is 100% in the know and all about networking, but also because they're very strict about who gets to join and be in the association right down to what their actual title/duties are, including about who can go to their meetups. As in, "please don't bring your friends or lower-ranking non-executive members for your convention to WRAC dinners and meetups." It's a bit closed but they have their reasons.

(This should go without saying: if someone is just looking for dirt and trying to sniff out the next big geek scandal, that's KiwiFarms territory.)

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 22, 2020

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sometimes i wonder if this thread should just get locked until the expected update in the vic case.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Appreciated. I basically just wanted to make sure there wasn't someone else that's been an open secret like Vic that was worth warning people about. It's just grimy and I don't want fans to meet people who treat them like meat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1380267116046077953?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Are you loving kidding me?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah but LMAO he's gotta go to Waxahachie.

It's Dallas's dingleberry.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
White Male Conservative Christian Actor ~TOTALLY UNFAIRLY~ oppressed by the godless evil social justice warrior cancel culture liberals is like a combination of cocaine and catnip for evangelical and fundamentalist types, so I'm not really surprised.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
anyone have a link to that clip from his deposition where he admitted to hiring prostitutes when the question he was asked had absolutely nothing to do with it?

Edit: Found it. I guess it was tangentially related.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1151580282518212609?s=20

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 9, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
You know, I’m wondering how Vic’s dynamic legal duo, Nick and Ty are doing these days

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You KNOW it'll be a gaggle of anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers attending too.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I was wondering when this thread was going to come back and I guess it kind of figures that it would be this sort of thing that did it.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

It can't be too much longer before the court of appeals throws this thing out.

And then Ty will take it all the way to the supreme court!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't he already had to pay for everything + the judge threw the book at Nick and Ty?