Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

GlyphGryph posted:

I still love the character photos. More games just need the devs to dress up and go out into the woods for this sort of thing.

I don't think most devs look like they belong innawoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i bought project zomboid but i am having a very hard time surviving even a single day. it seems like once the zombies spot you there's no escaping them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i bought project zomboid but i am having a very hard time surviving even a single day. it seems like once the zombies spot you there's no escaping them.

i tried to play this game with a friend and maybe we set it up wrong but they started us on completely different parts of the map and it took us a solid hour of play (including dying and having to reroll) before we even found each other in game

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

What difficulty/difficulty settings are you playing on? I recently decided to check it out again after playing it a lot years ago, and as of now--at least on the beta branch, I'm not sure about live--it has some pretty robust ways to tweak the experience. If you want a little more leeway I'd recommend tweaking them a bit, it's fairly unforgiving at baseline even if you know what you're doing.

Kvlt! posted:

i tried to play this game with a friend and maybe we set it up wrong but they started us on completely different parts of the map and it took us a solid hour of play (including dying and having to reroll) before we even found each other in game

I'd honestly recommend just pulling up a map when playing, especially now that there's multiple to play on.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Round two corners and try to be quiet - sneak run/walk. If you lose line of sight and you’re not making noise, they’ll go where they last saw you and cluster there. Burglar profession can be kinda good for the bonuses to sneak, nimble can be useful, and hotwiring a car is great.

But I also like to use Sandbox for a new experience. Standard settings, even on the “easy” Initial Infection, FNA be rough. You are meant to die in vanilla PZ. I’m not the biggest fan of that so I change it around a bit, usually having initial zombie counts half or less but still reaching same peak.

I like to use eris’ map mod. There’s also a mod that adds the skill shows as VHS tapes. There’s also a mod that makes you drop an EXP token on death to allow you to continue after.

Also do build 41 when able.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is Green Hell any good? I love 7dtd, and thought the forest was worth playing, but not great.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Green Hell doesn’t have nearly the building of even The Forest, and it’s much more about making sure you have the right foods and not dying to Jaguars and stuff. It’s pretty similar to the forest without cannibals or as in depth building and if you’re fairly cool on The Forest, it’s hard for me to recommend Green Hell.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Conversely I enjoyed Green Hell way more than the Forest. The Forest felt weirdly janky even after completion, and I couldn't shake the feeling of flimsiness in every interaction. Building was tedious with all the trees you had to chop and I never saw much point in it. At times it felt more like a tower defense game and I never got much feel of "survival" from it. GH is definitely more survival focused, though it's more about building up stocks, items, and equipment than a physical structure or base. That said they've expanded the building a lot since I last played so you can do a lot more with it than you used to at least.

If you liked The Forest but wanted more focus on survivalism and "you vs nature" I'd recommend it. If you liked The Forest for the construction and fighting, definitely less so.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You can climb out windows by (iirc) holding down the interaction button, so if you get noticed by zeds you can run into a house and jump out a side window where they can't see you.

Alternatively you can take out single zombies pretty handily with most melee weapons, you just need to get used to hitting zeds and using the stagger to step back a few feet, and kite them out of bite range

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a 7 Days to Die thread? Just started playing it with a friend and it's phenomenal. Grade A Jank but it's drat fun nonetheless and has hilarious moments.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Unreal World is probably my single biggest inspiration as a novice indie dev. One guy wants to make a cool survival game, realizes he doesn't need anything other than intermediate coding, basic ui, nonexistent graphics, a lot of free time, and some friends willing to take silly pictures in the woods. A true king of the game design world.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

S w a y z e posted:

Unreal World is probably my single biggest inspiration as a novice indie dev. One guy wants to make a cool survival game, realizes he doesn't need anything other than intermediate coding, basic ui, nonexistent graphics, a lot of free time, and some friends willing to take silly pictures in the woods. A true king of the game design world.

I absolutely agree! I feel there should be an award named after Sami, at the very least - since he's done an incredible job, breathing life into URW.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've only been playing it for a little bit but Unreal World is about as close to my ideal survival game as I've seen. No boss encounter/zombies/super-aggro wolves/etc bullshit, there's crafting but it's not overly complicated or just there as time filler, building your base is similarly simple(if time-consuming), very grounded setting(even with the rituals, although it helps that they apparently researched the real-world beliefs of ancient finns instead of making up their own bullshit), no plot or multiplayer shoehorned in. Just go out into your randomly generated piece of Finland and fish, kill a grouse, or fall through the springtime ice. The choice is yours. (although maybe avoid falling through the ice)

And the portraits all being from the devs(' friends) taking silly pictures in the woods is a plus in my book.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Qubee posted:

Is there a 7 Days to Die thread? Just started playing it with a friend and it's phenomenal. Grade A Jank but it's drat fun nonetheless and has hilarious moments.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I love unreal world and have very strong feelings about it

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
The fact that Sami has so many more plans for the game (e.g. being able to have a family, then playing as one of your kids when you die) is so great. :3: I also emailed him about poo a while back - apparently he plans on adding animal droppings into the game eventually too, to aid in hunting/tracking. (Hopefully you can pick the poos up and throw it at birds/squirrels in trees to knock them out, instead of using stones :v: )

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It is fantastic

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hell yeah it is. Never had a feeling quite as strong as the first time I poled my painstakingly built raft out onto the lake to set nets.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I bought that game when I was an actual child. I’m 40 now. Had a lifetime subscription, which at the time meant I got full updates. I don’t think that’s exactly how he sells it anymore but I definitely treasure that game.

I never got very good at it, despite my love for it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chinook posted:

I bought that game when I was an actual child. I’m 40 now. Had a lifetime subscription, which at the time meant I got full updates. I don’t think that’s exactly how he sells it anymore but I definitely treasure that game.

I never got very good at it, despite my love for it.

Another lifetime subscription here. I usually get to the point where like, I've built a cabin and got to winter and then I have no idea what I want to do and end up starting a new run.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played it I want to say around 2002 or so? Time is a mystery to man. Anyway when I played it, I got my cabin built and then no longer really had any reason to keep going. Had shelter, security, smoked a ton of meat, everything was basically sorted out. I guess that hasn't changed much in a couple decades.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I did the bear scenario on URW, just grabbed my dad's spear and went and murdered the bear. I've scoured every inch of the forest and can't for the life of me find my dead old man's body. Obviously I want to bury him, it's got nothing to do with the fact he had a bunch of useful stuff on his corpse.

Any advice on how to find him? I was planning on backtracking with the help of the bear tracks, but it started snowing as soon as I killed it. All tracks disappeared. Will his corpse show up even in grey parts of the screen, or does my vision have to actively be "seeing" to show the corpse?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Qubee posted:

I did the bear scenario on URW, just grabbed my dad's spear and went and murdered the bear. I've scoured every inch of the forest and can't for the life of me find my dead old man's body. Obviously I want to bury him, it's got nothing to do with the fact he had a bunch of useful stuff on his corpse.

Naturally! :D

Qubee posted:

Any advice on how to find him? I was planning on backtracking with the help of the bear tracks, but it started snowing as soon as I killed it. All tracks disappeared. Will his corpse show up even in grey parts of the screen, or does my vision have to actively be "seeing" to show the corpse?

Oh, it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it won't appear in the grey part of the screen. I could be wrong though - you could always test by dropping something, walking a few metres away, then turning away from it. If the item disappears from the ground when it's out of sight, there's your answer.
Not sure about how to help with finding your dad's body though, I'm afraid. :( just need to figure out which 'tile' you started on, on the world map (if you've only travelled in -roughly- one direction, it should be easy enough) then search that 1km x 1km area. That sucks though, either way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Climbing a tree helps if you're looking for something in the middle of the forest, but a)you'll probably fall and suffer minor injuries a lot if your climbing skill isn't great, b)you need to be looking in the right area to start with or else you'll be climbing a lot of trees.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't even remember what time of tree was present when I spawned in, but I'm 90% sure it was spruce. He died on a small hill and the surrounding area changes to a different tree. But I've gone back and forth across this land so many times and haven't found a sign of him. I'll search one more day and if I don't find him, I guess he's food for the wolves.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I love URW and I once made a full-fledged post for it on these here forums :allears:

I'm glad I'm not the only one still thinking about it after something like 20 years.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I love URW and I once made a full-fledged post for it on these here forums :allears:

I'm glad I'm not the only one still thinking about it after something like 20 years.

Yeah, because of stuff like this, every day I'm sorely tempted to fire it back up again and go back to finishing my kota, then moving it across the river into cannibal country...
:negative: urgh, I might actually have to this weekend...then get a sword and train with it the best way I can: by gutting those Njerpez dogs and seeing how long I can last on the warpath.

By the way, does anyone else go on personal crusades against the Njerpez, or witness destruction wrought by the Njerpez? I was ambushed by the Njerpez at one point near my home, which set off my crusade. I sought out the nearest Njerp village, then wiped out the local population. After treating my wounds I got a bunch of brush/kindling and used it to set their houses on fire. Then I dragged all the bodies into a big mound and burned them, too. (They didn't really deserve a funeral pyre, but at least this way I can ensure that their bodies aren't eaten by any returning hunters/wanderers, etc.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

URW looks neat and I have a pretty high tolerance for learning curve, but it feels like one of those games that almost require a huge up-front investment of reading controls and gotchas and even then maybe following a guide. I'm all for false starts, but is this true? I can't do Dwarf Fortress and I'm worried that it smells like that too much, but building a cabin in a very in-depth game is extremely my poo poo.

I actually bought and refunded it once, but I was insanely drunk at the time which didn't feel like the right time to burst into it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

URW looks neat and I have a pretty high tolerance for learning curve, but it feels like one of those games that almost require a huge up-front investment of reading controls and gotchas and even then maybe following a guide. I'm all for false starts, but is this true? I can't do Dwarf Fortress and I'm worried that it smells like that too much, but building a cabin in a very in-depth game is extremely my poo poo.

I actually bought and refunded it once, but I was insanely drunk at the time which didn't feel like the right time to burst into it.

Nah, I can't really stomach that kind of thing either, which is why I never got into Dwarf Fortress. Honestly, I just learnt the controls as I went. just figure out how to move, etc. and take if from there, I say. You can easily find out which key(s) does what in URW, as there's a lot of info in the ingame encyclopedia/info pages.
There are a couple of menu hotkeys too, which open up lists of options you can select - as well as displaying their respective hotkeys, from memory. So that's a good way to help figure things out, too. Especially for infrequently-used functions, which you can't be bothered using the brainspace to remember.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Shift+? is one of your best friends, even as your muscle memory catches up. If you stick it out you'll get faster at puttering around camp, and it'll start coming naturally. Of course it might just not be your game, but by then you'll probably have figured that out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The game actually has a tutorial of sorts which will bring up a lot of command keys as you follow it, and like others have said, shift-? is there as a quick reference. The skills screen(accessed by pressing s) also lets you see basically everything you can do from there, although you'll pretty quickly learn to use alt-(skill key) for stuff you do a bunch like fishing/logging/etc.

I really wouldn't call anything a 'gotcha' - the mechanics are fundamentally pretty simple and it's intuitive to figure out what's causing what(ex. you're freezing because it's literally winter outside, fix it by putting on more layers of clothes(preferrably wool or fur) and/or standing by a fire). If you look at the wiki/etc you'll see stuff that's recommended for character creation and starting area, but the dude I made with quickstart(which just drops you in the game world after randomizing all the stuff in character creation) is still getting by just fine. And this is coming from someone who's been playing for ~1 month/36 hours total.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 9, 2021

ThatJesus
May 30, 2009

Haifisch posted:

The game actually has a tutorial of sorts which will bring up a lot of command keys as you follow it, and like others have said, shift-? is there as a quick reference. The skills screen(accessed by pressing s) also lets you see basically everything you can do from there, although you'll pretty quickly learn to use alt-(skill key) for stuff you do a bunch like fishing/logging/etc.

I really wouldn't call anything a 'gotcha' - the mechanics are fundamentally pretty simple and it's intuitive to figure out what's causing what(ex. you're freezing because it's literally winter outside, fix it by putting on more layers of clothes(preferrably wool or fur) and/or standing by a fire). If you look at the wiki/etc you'll see stuff that's recommended for character creation and starting area, but the dude I made with quickstart(which just drops you in the game world after randomizing all the stuff in character creation) is still getting by just fine. And this is coming from someone who's been playing for ~1 month/36 hours total.

Yeah I've got about 2 hours in URW and I think the tutorial alone taught me enough to make a go of it!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

We've got plenty of veteran URW playes here afaik, so just go ahead and try; most command shortcuts make sense once the game "clicks" and you'll get quickly used to them (unless you really can't tolerate keyboard-driven games, I mean you can use the mouse in URW too but it feels clumsy most of the time), and whenever you're stumped or need info that the wiki can't provide, ask here and someone will probably have a good answer :)

Just remember: being mauled by a bear is ~fun~ !

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This thread is more active than the 7 days to die thread so I'm posting here: Anyone else had problems with 7dtd making your CPU overheat?

Two of my friends dropped off last night because their cpus overheated and had to be restarted. Only me (ryzen 3600) and another friend with a ryzen 5xxxsomething and watercooling, have not had this issue.

One has the old classic, an intel 4770k from 2013 that has held out so far, and I'm not sure of the other's. The guy with the 4770k has been playing it a lot over the last 4 months and only in the last week has he started overheating his pc with it. I googled the issue and a couple of people posted about it a year or so ago, so this is weird. My friends are talking about turning down their graphics settings but IDK how that could help.

edit: other friend is on an Intel Core i7-8700. So both intels overheat and both AMD's are fine.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 9, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nothing specific about 7D2D but I have the same problem with Project Zomboid. I’m usually around 80C in most games (yeah I need to fix my heat sink) but PZ takes it to 100C and then locks up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

redreader posted:

This thread is more active than the 7 days to die thread so I'm posting here: Anyone else had problems with 7dtd making your CPU overheat?

Two of my friends dropped off last night because their cpus overheated and had to be restarted. Only me (ryzen 3600) and another friend with a ryzen 5xxxsomething and watercooling, have not had this issue.

One has the old classic, an intel 4770k from 2013 that has held out so far, and I'm not sure of the other's. The guy with the 4770k has been playing it a lot over the last 4 months and only in the last week has he started overheating his pc with it. I googled the issue and a couple of people posted about it a year or so ago, so this is weird. My friends are talking about turning down their graphics settings but IDK how that could help.

edit: other friend is on an Intel Core i7-8700. So both intels overheat and both AMD's are fine.

I get to 80C or so in 7 days on my GPU oddly. Its unusually taxing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is Project Zomboid worth playing these days, is it at a stage in development where it's an enjoyable experience? Any advice for someone starting it up after a 6 year hiatus. Any QoL must-have mods, campaign settings, etc? Also, is it possible to turn perma-death off? And just have me respawn at a certain location with all my skills (but not loot)?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It’s been a few months (see above post about my lovely overheating computer) but I enjoy it still. I’d advise turning the zombie count down at first so you can enjoy some of the new stuff. Cars are new if you’re coming back after a few years. They’re working on (done with?) a new animation system that is pretty great too.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I remember every time I've played PZ it just felt like there was nothing to do. I mean, I know I could get guns, become self-sufficient, ect., but long-term it felt like there wasn't any real challenge (blood moon in 7 days) or challenging goal (wiping out the Njerpez in URW). It seems like the difficulty is just utterly flat. Did anything related to that ever change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’m a Long Term Survival Mod fan, but it does impact balance a bit.

Play B41, don’t do B40.

Apparently the Super Survivors Mod (adds NPCs) is in a decent place but still a bit wonky. I’ve not played with it.

Other than making your own goals - survive past winter, collect every car type, change default settings so it’s possible to clear a town of zombies, collect and dress all the mannequins - there’s not an endgame.

There’s even a mod that has an exp token drop on death so you could respawn in and get your hard worked for level 8 crafting back from that bullshit fence jump.