Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, and if they ever bring Chloe back and Ashly isn’t able to do it for whatever reason I’d say Rihanna makes a perfectly good substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn0KFlbqX8

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I thought the other actress for Chloe did fine.

Rachel's parents on the other hand make it hard to take anything about that whole plot element seriously. Not that it was terribly compelling in the first place.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Incidentally, has anyone here seen any of the other stuff Katy Bentz has been in since BtS? Steph mostly just had one tone of voice in that game so I’m curious how she handles the more emotional scenes that will likely come up now that she’s a main character in True Colors.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Larryb posted:

Incidentally, has anyone here seen any of the other stuff Katy Bentz has been in since BtS? Steph mostly just had one tone of voice in that game so I’m curious how she handles the more emotional scenes that will likely come up now that she’s a main character in True Colors.

No but her crazy makeup streams look kinda rad. https://twitch.tv/katybentz

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the remaster I’m amused that someone is going to have to mocap Max’s dance in the first episode.

Hopefully they’ll also fix the glitch where she suddenly becomes a telepath while talking to Warren in Episode 5

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The goofy animations and horrific lip sync are part of the charm of the game and I refuse to play a version that removes both

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The ESRB page for True Colors is up, it mostly just confirms the game is set in Colorado and includes a few other minor details (like Alex being challenged to a drinking game at one point):

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37564/Life+is+Strange%3A+True+Colors+/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

This is an adventure game in which players follow the story of a young adult (Alex) trying to manage her empathic powers while solving a mystery in a Colorado town.
From a third-person perspective, players explore various locations in town and interact with townspeople.

Cutscenes depict some instances of violence: a man punching and kicking another character; a man shooting a character; a woman punching a character in the face repeatedly—Blood sometimes appears on characters' knuckles and/or faces.

The dialogue contains some suggestive references (e.g., “You know dudes can do nice things without the expectation of getting laid, right”; “Maybe Diane and I still hook up”; “...I thought you were f**king my girlfriend!!”).

Some sequences allow players' character to drink shots of alcohol or cans of beer, and one sequence depicts a drinking game in a bar.

The town contains a marijuana dispensary; both marijuana and paraphernalia are visible when talking to characters in the shop.

The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “a*shole” appear in the dialogue.

Something about censoring the actual profanity in a message about the profanity is just hilarious.

and an absolute lol that "town contains an marijuana dispensary" is something that has to be added to warning labels.

Interesting examples of content too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I’d kind of like to see a future Life is Strange game done in the style of Tell Me Why where there are two playable characters that you switch back and forth between as the game goes on.

Or maybe something along the lines of the David Cage games where you’re following the stories of multiple protagonists at once.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 5, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lives Are Strange.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I’d kind of like to see a future Life is Strange game done in the style of Tell Me Why where there are two playable characters that you switch back and forth between as the game goes on.

Or maybe something along the lines of the David Cage games where you’re following the stories of multiple protagonists at once.

This is kinda what I wanted at some point but DONTNOD has be very clear that their vision for LIS is one off plots with an over arching theme so I just sit here sad

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

This is kinda what I wanted at some point but DONTNOD has be very clear that their vision for LIS is one off plots with an over arching theme so I just sit here sad

Then again, Square Enix owns the full rights to the Life is Strange franchise and DontNod has left to pursue their own projects (hence why Deck Nine is developing True Colors) so it could still be possible one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just realized that the gay love interest in LiS games has a habit of potentially dying (though Rachel’s turn chronologically came after BtS), which doesn’t bode well for Steph in True Colors.

Additionally, I’d be prepared for a sudden emotional gutpunch or two during her bonus prequel episode as well (stuff like Farewell and Captain Spirit have taught us that it’s impossible to get through a Life is Strange chapter without some kind of human misery after all)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sometimes I vaguely wish we got a game with Rachel as protagonsait to complete the "trilogy", probably in an alternate timeline where she lives and others are in danger.

Just idle thinking really.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sometimes I vaguely wish we got a game with Rachel as protagonsait to complete the "trilogy", probably in an alternate timeline where she lives and others are in danger.

Just idle thinking really.

She could probably work as the protagonist of a game set in the time between BtS and the first game (there’s a lot of stuff during that time that Chloe doesn’t find out about until after Rachel’s disappearance/death). The problem is that it’s pretty much impossible for a game like that not to end on a major downer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

As much as I'd love a Rachel Amber themed game I think you'd have to be very careful about the content and not get too much into her relationship with Frank, because ew at watching that play out in-game, and Jefferson, because double ew.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think Frank is an incredibly interesting character so I'd be fine with that but the Jefferson part I don't want to see. I HATED the end credits stinger in BTS. That left such a bad taste in my mouth after an otherwise good time.

Really I just like Rachel and her voice acting so I want more of her just for that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, Frank probably would make a decent protagonist himself for that matter. But yeah, they probably couldn’t get away with delving too deep into that particular relationship (nor should they honestly). Though as long as they avoid the outright sexual stuff I suppose they could find a way to make it work.

Incidentally, has Kylie Brown (Rachel) done anything of note since BtS?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I say just embrace the alternate timeline stuff like honestly, a little and I really mean just a little bit more magical nonsense would be great

edit: Food metaphor but it's like someone has chocolate and peanut butter it's good separately sometimes they'll eat one after another but someone still hasn't figured out that they can mix them yet into great candy.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 9, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Are we allowed to talk about LiS fanfiction here? Cause that's like 97% of my interaction with the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sure, go ahead

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 9, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also I just realized that the gay love interest in LiS games has a habit of potentially dying (though Rachel’s turn chronologically came after BtS), which doesn’t bode well for Steph in True Colors.

Additionally, I’d be prepared for a sudden emotional gutpunch or two during her bonus prequel episode as well (stuff like Farewell and Captain Spirit have taught us that it’s impossible to get through a Life is Strange chapter without some kind of human misery after all)

Yeah, the fact that she's getting her own episode means something absolutely godawful is gonna happen to her.

exquisite tea posted:

As much as I'd love a Rachel Amber themed game I think you'd have to be very careful about the content and not get too much into her relationship with Frank, because ew at watching that play out in-game, and Jefferson, because double ew.

I want an alternate timeline game where Chloe and Rachel run off to L.A. together.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SlothBear posted:

Yeah, the fact that she's getting her own episode means something absolutely godawful is gonna happen to her.

I want an alternate timeline game where Chloe and Rachel run off to L.A. together.

That's the comics.

I could see the comics getting a game adaptation depending on how well True Colors does. During the entire S-E stream the entire chat was LiS1 references.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

That's the comics.

I could see the comics getting a game adaptation depending on how well True Colors does. During the entire S-E stream the entire chat was LiS1 references.

One of the shirts Chloe wears in the comics is apparently being added as a bonus outfit to BtS Remastered at least:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If they ever made a direct sequel to Life is Strange S1 I think they would go the route the comics did, not canonizing either ending but having Max phase in between competing alternate realities. But honestly, while I would be absolutely forced to play that game, I'd rather it was never made. A large part of my appreciation for the original is its central conceit that history cannot be undone, that we all must live through trauma and tragedy sometimes without the promise that it can be overwritten. I know all fans of the series have really strong attachments to Chloe, Max and Rachel and want to see more of them, but that's what spinoff media and fanfic is for. And dear lord, there is a lot of fanfic for this game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, though one idea could be to split the difference and have a game where Max is constantly shuffled back and forth between timelines (it could also be interesting if they aped Tell Me Why a bit and had both Max and Chloe as playable characters during different parts of the game).

I also wouldn't be adverse to another prequel game this time centered around Max's Seattle days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there will be an exclusive LiS comic released for Free Comic Book Day on August 14th. From the cover and description it will feature the first comic appearance of Steph as well as a sneak peek at Alex’s character from True Colors:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1382007022481199107

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of comics Vol 4 just released. I don't know much about the indie comic market but it's the #1 new release on Amazon for LGBTQ+ graphic novels, so there must be some solid sales figures behind it. I think the original contract for the series was a short run, but sales were shockingly good so it grew into an ongoing series.

If I had to describe it I'd say it's like a sequel made by someone who wanted to get away from the original games as much as possible and is better for it. It avoids being too much of a 'fanfic' in that it's established characters but in entirely new settings acting as you'd expect while still having growth and development in their journey. There's appearances from some LiS 1&2 side cast but nothing more distracting then some conversations or small parts.

I like the art style too, it's sort of how I imagined the games would like drawn in 2D if it wasn't all renders. Some of the variant cover arts are also done really well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Comic’s still going for that matter, you can buy issues individually on Amazon and Comixology and I believe you can also find physical copies in stores.

Not entirely sure how canon it’s supposed to be though as I believe one of the writers said early on that it was meant as more of a “what if?” style story. But it’s still fun for the most part and pretty good if you’re craving more Arcadia Bay content.

The next issue isn’t out until July for some reason though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 14, 2021

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

pentyne posted:

Speaking of comics Vol 4 just released. I don't know much about the indie comic market but it's the #1 new release on Amazon for LGBTQ+ graphic novels, so there must be some solid sales figures behind it. I think the original contract for the series was a short run, but sales were shockingly good so it grew into an ongoing series.

If I had to describe it I'd say it's like a sequel made by someone who wanted to get away from the original games as much as possible and is better for it. It avoids being too much of a 'fanfic' in that it's established characters but in entirely new settings acting as you'd expect while still having growth and development in their journey. There's appearances from some LiS 1&2 side cast but nothing more distracting then some conversations or small parts.

I like the art style too, it's sort of how I imagined the games would like drawn in 2D if it wasn't all renders. Some of the variant cover arts are also done really well.

It's #6 in graphic novels overall as well which means we'll get more because SE loves money

Larryb posted:

Comic’s still going for that matter, you can buy issues individually on Amazon and Comixology and I believe you can also find physical copies in stores.

Not entirely sure how canon it’s supposed to be though as I believe one of the writers said early on that it was meant as more of a “what if?” style story. But it’s still fun for the most part and pretty good if you’re craving more Arcadia Bay content.

The next issue isn’t out until July for some reason though.

The official reason given at the start is another universe etc
They're pretty committed to every playthrough being another timeline so no one is like I liked how X played out I guess. We'll see how long that lasts though.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 14, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mean canon is a lie anyway, let's lean into it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

It's #6 in graphic novels overall as well which means we'll get more because SE loves money

The official reason given at the start is another universe etc
They're pretty committed to every playthrough being another timeline so no one is like I liked how X played out I guess. We'll see how long that lasts though.

I think they’re already breaking away from that as the recent issues have contained a few LiS2 references (such as Brody making a cameo and Chloe meeting up with Victoria whose current life matches up with the letter she writes to David in the Bae timeline of said game).

Though then again, at the moment we’re also currently in an alternate timeline where Rachel never died and made it to LA with Chloe so canon’s probably still not a big factor here (and I’m fine with that honestly)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean canon is a lie anyway, let's lean into it.

Honestly it's one of the things I love about the extended universe it's just like gently caress it let's do this thing and I hope that continues

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think the last year and the sense of tension between dontnod and Squeenix have shifted the landscape for where the franchise is headed. Dontnod really gives off the vibe of "we do it our way or not at all" and has a history of their creative genius getting in the way of making good games.

Like, True Colors better move some units, because the episodic nature seems like it was a big word of mouth selling point and adventure games in general aren't huge sellers like any of the big AAA titles. The queer romance angle is probably going to be a big part of its sales potential. I'd be surprised if the stats for the game have the guy romance option as more the 10% of players.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True Colors is still episodic (the bonus outfit page on Steam mentions 4 chapters), it’s just being released all at once.

But yeah, I expect this one to be a bit better received since it’s going back to the small town nature of the first game with an actual mystery to solve and a consistent cast of side characters. The more open world style of gameplay intrigues me as well though I’m curious how it’s going to work exactly.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

pentyne posted:

I think the last year and the sense of tension between dontnod and Squeenix have shifted the landscape for where the franchise is headed. Dontnod really gives off the vibe of "we do it our way or not at all" and has a history of their creative genius getting in the way of making good games.

Like, True Colors better move some units, because the episodic nature seems like it was a big word of mouth selling point and adventure games in general aren't huge sellers like any of the big AAA titles. The queer romance angle is probably going to be a big part of its sales potential. I'd be surprised if the stats for the game have the guy romance option as more the 10% of players.

But don't most of the sales happen when it's the full episodes are completed?

Also the queer romance is a big selling point because DONTNOD (maybe Deck9) can't write guys in romance to save their lives. Hopefully the one in True Colors isn't JUST weighing his options between another person, basically stalking me, or endangering my family members.

Like the women romances have good and bad but the dudes are basically not there or awful

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it would be nice to have a male love interest that wasn’t a douchebag on some level (though to be fair, Warren is tame compared to Finn and especially Eliot) but we’ll see.

Though I’m not sure if Eliot counts that much as even if you agree to go to the play with him he still barely matters to the overall story and still flips out on you at the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Honestly I was surprised the dude is a possible love interest for Alex cause I thought he was her brother's boyfriend at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly I was surprised the dude is a possible love interest for Alex cause I thought he was her brother's boyfriend at first.

Same. The trashy gay part of me was like "oh boy what a clusterfuck...I'm in" before I caught on