Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You can find Gauss Rifles on planets flagged as former SLDF sites. I did not buy the Gauss, but I did get the two Large Pulse Lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can find Gauss Rifles on planets flagged as former SLDF sites. I did not buy the Gauss, but I did get the two Large Pulse Lasers.

I ran into that once, do you always get Gauss Ammo when you can buy a Gauss rifle? Would suck if you could only get the rifle without the ability to use it.

And I don't think that's an odd thing where she leases tanks to the Directorate, I've gotten missions like that. I think it's just a side effect of having so few planets available.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Gauss Rifles are guaranteed to spawn with at least 2 tons of ammo in the shop, and most places that could generate a Gauss Rifle can generate at least two tons of ammo even if the actual rifle doesn't spawn.

So if you ever see Gauss ammo in stock, keep that system in mind because you might get lucky.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Once you own two tons of ammo does that continue being two tons of ammo, or can you run out and have to scour the black market for more?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ammo is infinite unless it eats a crit, so you could get your Gauss ammo destroyed in battle, but as long as you have a bin the Argo won't forget how to make 250kg nickel-iron alloy balls.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You should rename either Dekker or Paradise to Stormtrooper going by their accuracy.
Or Shockwave.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The number of times Dekker manages to make a perfect 'V' with the Spider's lasers and completely miss a 'Mech he could have spit on continues to amuse me.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The number of times Dekker manages to make a perfect 'V' with the Spider's lasers and completely miss a 'Mech he could have spit on continues to amuse me.

He's an artist, not a fighter.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm incredibly bummed that we missed out on that Corsair...I've never even seen one in a few career runs now and those 6 cannon slots really make me wonder what you can pull off with it.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Out of curiosity, if you ever get the machine gun variant of the Spider, will you swap Dekker over to that instead, or is this strictly a Default Spoider Only run?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

fennesz posted:

I'm incredibly bummed that we missed out on that Corsair...I've never even seen one in a few career runs now and those 6 cannon slots really make me wonder what you can pull off with it.

It's a 'Mech that's been added in via a mod, so it's not something you could normally encounter. There are at least 3 other variants, so we're certain to see it again

Ideally you'd throw 6 LB 2-Xs in that version and crit the universe to death.

Rorahusky posted:

Out of curiosity, if you ever get the machine gun variant of the Spider, will you swap Dekker over to that instead, or is this strictly a Default Spoider Only run?

I'll leave that up to the thread. Is any Spider fair game, or does it have to be an SDR-1V?

For that matter, if I get my hands on an ECM carrier, should I use it to break story mission scripting? :ninja:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I'm down with variable spider crime

And the original intent WAS to break the game in as many ways possible...

Aside from injuring Decker, is it actually EVER really worth a DFA?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Any Spider will do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Variant spiders are permitted as long as they do not have any more armour (total tonnage) than the base modrl.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veloxyll posted:

I'm down with variable spider crime

And the original intent WAS to break the game in as many ways possible...

Aside from injuring Decker, is it actually EVER really worth a DFA?

Not in a Spider, it's not

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

You should only DFA with your modified ATLAS II

It is the only way to ensure the enemy understands who is in charge.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

For that matter, if I get my hands on an ECM carrier, should I use it to break story mission scripting? :ninja:

Well we did vote to break the story right? I say :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Break! The! Story! Break! The! Story!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

AtomikKrab posted:

You should only DFA with your modified ATLAS II

It is the only way to ensure the enemy understands who is in charge.

Ahh the Steiner scout lance approach.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Catzilla posted:

Ahh the Steiner scout lance approach.

I built an Atlas for doing that, it is fairly scary since it is very very heat efficient and has guns in every slot. a 4 evasion pip 100 tonner with 40% damage reduction and the firepower to obliterate a light mech every turn it fires, or seriously carve up anything else in its way, I also have the pilot using coolant vent so when the heat does build up the Atlas simple dumps the excess and keeps firing.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a 'Mech that's been added in via a mod, so it's not something you could normally encounter. There are at least 3 other variants, so we're certain to see it again

Ideally you'd throw 6 LB 2-Xs in that version and crit the universe to death.

So basically what I do with most of my AC carriers. Mass LBX spam and just watch the enemy's armor get utterly sandblasted everytime I pull the trigger.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

She rented tanks to the Directorate.

To be fair they were probably leased before the coup, which is why the Directorate stopped paying, and why she's hiring dudes to blow them up.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Or it's the most roundabout way to give you 2 AC/20s. Those things are worth a bit of cash, or?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Boogle posted:

To be fair they were probably leased before the coup, which is why the Directorate stopped paying, and why she's hiring dudes to blow them up.

Or leased by some minor Aurigan noble house that switched allegiance to Kamea, either before or after the Directorate refused to pay for them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

lagidnam posted:

Or it's the most roundabout way to give you 2 AC/20s. Those things are worth a bit of cash, or?

Quite a bit, yeah. Most of the big guns are worth something (the little guns are also worth something in large quantities). I usually sell any weapon I have more than 20 of, with a few exceptions: sell all AC/2s, AC/5s, and LRM-10s, they're worthless and just clogging up inventory space.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 9, 2021

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Break the story wide open.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There is one mission I am really eager to try to break the scripting for, but I'm also not entirely sure what will happen if I do.

I'll probably make a pre-mission save just because there's really no telling what could happen, if it turns out it makes the mission unwinnable I'll figure something out.

I mean. If I luck into an ECM carrying unit, of course. :ninja:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 9, 2021

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't know, I think "make the AI scripting poo poo itself" falls outside the territory of "clown on the campaign."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Humiliate and destroy the campaign by all means available IMO

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If the option is available, at least show it off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do everything in your power to destroy it before Dekker's Spider's head is inevitably blown off right at the very end

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MechaCrash posted:

I don't know, I think "make the AI scripting poo poo itself" falls outside the territory of "clown on the campaign."
Genuine question: Why?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I assume it's because the implication to some that "clowning the campaign" means that you dunk on it by being a really good player rather than breaking it through exploits and other weirdness. The former is showing skill while the latter is cheating.
But that might just be me.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Would ECM units normally be available in the campaign?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No.

They were added afterwards, and normally only unlock when flashpoints are completed (which are disabled by default until the campaign is completed). I've got a mod that unlocks them early, because they're a big threat when the OpForce spawns with them.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm going to bet that with their ability to force the player to close in, a combo of ECM and Demolishers / SRM carriers is probably quite Fun.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Genuine question: Why?

Cooked Auto posted:

I assume it's because the implication to some that "clowning the campaign" means that you dunk on it by being a really good player rather than breaking it through exploits and other weirdness. The former is showing skill while the latter is cheating.
But that might just be me.

Basically that. It's not really flexing your system mastery to make the AI poo poo itself, doubly so when it's with equipment that you shouldn't even have by that point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was trying to make a certain rather notorious mission harder by using ECM to 'piss off' some enemies I was certain were on the map but just standing around until the game gave them the OK to do something.

Unfortunately it looks like the enemies I was trying to provoke don't even spawn until five or so turns in, so I'm not sure the theoretical ECM unit that I may or may not have :ninja: actually changed anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoptartsNinja posted:

No.

They were added afterwards, and normally only unlock when flashpoints are completed (which are disabled by default until the campaign is completed). I've got a mod that unlocks them early, because they're a big threat when the OpForce spawns with them.

I think you can get a SLDF mech with ECM through the black market if you're patient too, can't you? The one added in the final patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I still want to see how ECM breaks poo poo in the campaign. I know it would make more work for PTN in the long run, but maybe just have a throwaway save to show off what it would look like, but complete it "correctly" for the stuffy, unfun nerds in the thread.