Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

one of the funniest bits so far has been how absolutely useless that batman analogue was. just a bag of blood and meat that exploded when omni man got his hands on him and how there was nothing said about his value in the secret funeral. Show feels like it's all over the place, but it makes sense they'd have a project like this that'll bring in people for when the boys is between seasons. i'll probably take a peak at the comics because i love alternate superhero worlds/one offs.
Along those lines, Batman is like the polar opposite of blackwing, in that he's constantly aware of the possibility of the scenario that played out, with Omniman slaughtering them. Honestly I was hoping there would be some sort of red herring 'kryptonite' that would convince blackwing he could stop Omniman only to have the "jokes on you I made that whole thing up to sniff out traitors".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
New episode is out. If anyone was wondering, they drop at 7 pm (central) every Thursday.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 5: Of course principal of Reginal Vel Johnson high school is named Winslow :discourse:

I got a bad feeling Nolan is going to do something terrible to Deb if she keeps digging into this.

Not really loving the Marc keeping secrets from Amber subplot, but hopefully it's done with after the ending.

Good twist with Titan at the end. Nolan is never going to let Marc forget he was right.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2021

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
Maybe I'm just not enough of a comic book nerd but I'm having trouble accepting that a superhero that can stop an asteroid and throw it back into space has trouble with punching humanoid sized creatures to death. Or from another perspective, why don't all the fights between essentially two walking asteroids not end in total city destruction every time?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Maybe I'm just not enough of a comic book nerd but I'm having trouble accepting that a superhero that can stop an asteroid and throw it back into space has trouble with punching humanoid sized creatures to death. Or from another perspective, why don't all the fights between essentially two walking asteroids not end in total city destruction every time?

Some of what is shown on the show is out of order from the comics which explains a little. The rest of it is just inconsistent writing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spacebump posted:

Some of what is shown on the show is out of order from the comics which explains a little. The rest of it is just inconsistent writing.

I think a few of the changes they've made are improvements on the comic which felt like it was making stuff up as it went along for a good long time. Bringing certain events forwards in the plot will make certain arcs pay off a little better.

On the other hand, I guess people who haven't read the comic and don't have a decade's worth of extra context will be better able to say whether the writing on the show seems consistent or not.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well that was a good episode though I think I have been forever spoiled on superhero stories keeping up with the "oh no, I can't tell people my sidelife as a superhero" BS after it being turned around in Amazing Spider-Man and Man of Steel, but for right now I'm giving Mark a pass because he's still a kid and his dad is a terrible influence. I honestly think that Mark needs to spend less time with his dad and more time with other supes his age, I feel he would gain a lot more training with Eve but that could also be because she doesn't have an overlord mindset like Nolan does.

That final fight was intense, I really hope Monster Girl doesn't die :ohdear: but man it is gonna really suck if it turns out Titan did just want to become the kingpin himself instead of just oust his boss and become a malevolent keeper of the underworld

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 5:
Not really loving the Marc keeping secrets from Amber subplot, but hopefully it's done with after the ending.

Good twist with Titan at the end. Nolan is never going to let Marc forget he was right.

Yeah I agree The Marc keeping secrets and not explaining where he is to Amber got real old real fast, hopefully we can move past that now.

I keep wondering why Robot keeps loving jackass Rex Splode around, although now seeing him working with a 'villain' shows he's got plans.

I thought the twist at the end with Titan was lame though. His wife was so concerned about "are we out?" and she just silently accepts that "no actually instead of leaving crime I'm the boss now" that seems too easy, but whatever. Also seems lame to make the point about how superheroes are caught up with fame and glory and ignore real problems that real people have, and to have a black man ask him to help poor people only to end up being a super-criminal feels a little twisted.

Oh, also this is a nitpick but they made a big deal when Invincible was learning superhero stuff that he has to hold his breath in space. Then here we are like 2 episodes later and... he's out of breath... in space... and also talking to his dad... in space... and they're both breathing. Hrm.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 9, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figure Robot is going to use the Blue Clones tech to clone the Guardians, or at least one of them, hoping to maybe to find out what happened. His obvious concern over Monster Girl suggests that he's not another secret villain.

Man Omni-man probably watches the whole thing, knowing he could have stopped it, but didn't because street level crime is beneath him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

twistedmentat posted:

Man Omni-man probably watches the whole thing, knowing he could have stopped it, but didn't because street level crime is beneath him.

I kept expecting this to come into play but If Omni-man saw his son get beaten he'd vaporize everybody in the room instantly, so no he couldn't have been watching

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

I kept expecting this to come into play but If Omni-man saw his son get beaten he'd vaporize everybody in the room instantly, so no he couldn't have been watching

Probably works into his mindset to teach Mark a lesson. And if he dies oh well :shrug:. Or maybe he knows that Mark wouldn't die because he's half viltrumite.

And he was almost certainly watching. There was the shot of him hovering nearby watching the penthouse and then Mark catches a glimpse of him before he passes out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably works into his mindset to teach Mark a lesson. And if he dies oh well :shrug:. Or maybe he knows that Mark wouldn't die because he's half viltrumite.

And he was almost certainly watching. There was the shot of him hovering nearby watching the penthouse and then Mark catches a glimpse of him before he passes out.

Ah... yeah you're probably right. I guess he was just confident enough that he wouldn't die. I figured the shot of Omni-man with Mark was either him imagining what he wanted, or Omni-man showing up only after the government and Atom Eve got called, and flew over to check himself. But now that you're making me think about it, you're probably right. It was really him and he was watching the whole time, and when mark saw him he super-sped away. But he really wanted to teach him a lesson. Dang man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah... yeah you're probably right. I guess he was just confident enough that he wouldn't die. I figured the shot of Omni-man with Mark was either him imagining what he wanted, or Omni-man showing up only after the government and Atom Eve got called, and flew over to check himself. But now that you're making me think about it, you're probably right. It was really him and he was watching the whole time, and when mark saw him he super-sped away. But he really wanted to teach him a lesson. Dang man.

I'm pretty sure Omni-Man would have swooped in if not-Titus had actually looked like he was going to actually kill Mark.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Kicked Throat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 27, 2022

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Zaphod42 posted:

He is watching the episode shows him hanging around flying outside the penthouse the whole time, he's the one who tips the teen titans or w\e. 34:48 in the episode.

Edit: oh I see this was already addressed etc etc.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Titan is my favoriter character and his voiceactor is awesome.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Battle Beast’s voice actor: Michael Dorn outta nowhere!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe I missed something but why would Nolan keep his old bloodied costume around? If it's some sort of trophy or memento from killing the Guardians, then he wouldn't keep it hidden(badly) in a trash bag. Should've just tossed it into the sun. Not like he doesn't have a spare undamaged costume. Maybe it will get addressed later but that kinda stood out to me.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

On page 1 there was discussion of "who is this show for" and I can honestly say that my wife got sucked into it despite being sick to death of the MCU and likes the idea of this being a goofy coming-of-age story but with the 'looming dread' in the background.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Btw how long does it take for Mark to realize what his dad was up to?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Btw how long does it take for Mark to realize what his dad was up to?

Impossible to say. The way this comic has been adapted, it's both already happened and yet to happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe I missed something but why would Nolan keep his old bloodied costume around? If it's some sort of trophy or memento from killing the Guardians, then he wouldn't keep it hidden(badly) in a trash bag. Should've just tossed it into the sun. Not like he doesn't have a spare undamaged costume. Maybe it will get addressed later but that kinda stood out to me.

Yeah that felt a little out of place to me too, and wouldn't the Demon Detective have found it when he was snooping around in a previous episode?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
How long did it take them to get to mars? A day?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that felt a little out of place to me too, and wouldn't the Demon Detective have found it when he was snooping around in a previous episode?

Pretty sure Omniman put it there for her to find, after he found out she's on to him.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, also this is a nitpick but they made a big deal when Invincible was learning superhero stuff that he has to hold his breath in space. Then here we are like 2 episodes later and... he's out of breath... in space... and also talking to his dad... in space... and they're both breathing. Hrm.

I thought they were in the high atmosphere given the meteor starting to get atmospheric friction at the start of the sequence.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 5: [spoiler]Of course principal of Reginal Vel Johnson high school is named Winslow :discourse:

Not just named Winslow, but played by.. Reginald vel Johnson.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm trying to go back and re read this from the start and man are those early issues harder to get through this time around. I totally get why they pushed the Omniman twist up so early.

Also I'm loving the soundtrack to this show.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I am pretty sure this isn't a spoiler as they have mentioned this in the show, but as to why His dad didn't do anything to help, they have said that his race gets strong the more they push themselves. They are like Saiyan from dragon ball. The more they fight the stronger they get. The more they push themselves the stronger they get. This becomes a very important thing as the story progresses. He could have seen this as a fast way to make Mark stronger. Or maybe he was just teaching him a lesson. He was not there in the comic so who knows what they are going for.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 9, 2021

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

stratdax posted:

Not just named Winslow, but played by.. Reginald vel Johnson.

Hah - that is amazing.

To avoid spoiler talk in the non spoiler thread for at least a while - good episode. Lots of seeds planted and I wonder how thing will go down between OmniMan and the missus. Also wonder how Robot will play out as this show might go different than expected.

All that said moment of the show: BATTLE BEAST!!! I marked out so hard. Heard the voice and I turned 5 again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kicked Throat posted:

I'm not a science man but if the asteroid started burning up were they truly in 'space' or the upper reaches of earth's atmosphere?

I thought about it but didn't say it, but if they were *that* high up in the atmosphere you wouldn't really be able to breathe there either, there's like 0% oxygen and the air is super thin. I guess maybe with superpowers you can, psh.

Doom2020! posted:

To avoid spoiler talk in the non spoiler thread for at least a while - good episode.

Well, there's two kinds of spoilers. Most of the spoil tagged posts ITT are spoilers for the currently airing episode, which some people watch as early as like mid Thursday but others watch on Friday or whatever, so we use spoiler tags out of convenience.

The "spoiler free" of the thread refers to no comic spoilers. I ain't read poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah fair question. I was gonna say maybe its indestructible, but then yeah why not just throw it at the sun. Maybe he thought the government would detect it in space or something?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 9, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

How long did it take them to get to mars? A day?

Based on the earth scenes that were happening in between, seems like half at day at most. Still chuckling that Mark had no plan to keep busy besides watch the astronauts do science for 2 whole weeks.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought about it but didn't say it, but if they were *that* high up in the atmosphere you wouldn't really be able to breathe there either, there's like 0% oxygen and the air is super thin. I guess maybe with superpowers you can, psh.

Well, there's two kinds of spoilers. Most of the spoil tagged posts ITT are spoilers for the currently airing episode, which some people watch as early as like mid Thursday but others watch on Friday or whatever, so we use spoiler tags out of convenience.

The "spoiler free" of the thread refers to no comic spoilers. I ain't read poo poo.

Yeah fair question. I was gonna say maybe its indestructible, but then yeah why not just throw it at the sun. Maybe he thought the government would detect it in space or something?

Thanks for clarifying as I wanted to be 100% so was trying to avoid doing either. Weird as this is the first time I actually read a non mainstream comic they made a tv show about. Unless they do a Grendel, Hellboy/BPRD (again) or Milestone series I don't think I'll have to worry about that again. Let me know if I ever come close but I will try and avoid that like hell as I love seeing first timers reactions and theories. I still hold out hope that this will show will diverge from the comics as I want to be surprised too.
Love how the naive well meaning hero got completely played. His father is an rear end in a top hat but was right about this one thing.

Titan mentioned Mark fighting a guy in an elephant costume but we haven't seen that in the show right?
So Robot talking to the clone brothers: some of you guys think he is going to clone one of the Guardians to find out the truth behind Nolan. This episode showed you need a seperate living brain to transfer knowledge So what do you guys think now? Do you think Robot is bad still or what might his motivation be? Robot did seem awfully concerned with his injured team-mates (even tolerates Rex for who knows why). Is Robot a good guy? Is he some kind of super AI?

What is your guys take on Omniman himself. Is he a good guy, albeit ruthless? Was he mind controlled or what were his motivations?

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 9, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doom2020! posted:

Titan mentioned Mark fighting a guy in an elephant costume but we haven't seen that in the show right?
So Robot talking to the clone brothers: some of you guys think he is going to clone one of the Guardians to find out the truth behind Nolan. This episode showed you need a seperate living brain to transfer knowledge So what do you guys think now? Do you think Robot is bad still or what might his motivation be? Robot did seem awfully concerned with his injured team-mates (even tolerates Rex for who knows why). Is Robot a good guy? Is some kind of super AI?

What is your guys take on Omniman himself. Is he a good guy, albeit ruthless? Was he mind controlled or what were his motivations?

I thought it was Elephant Man that Mark was flying through town when Titan's daughter asked if he was a good person.
Robot probably has his own agenda. I don't think it's anything to do with the Guardians or he would have given them a sample of their blood instead of Rex's.
Omniman is definitely a dickhead. He wasn't mind controlled. He's probably clearing the field for a viltrumite invasion, based on what he said to the Flaxans before he hosed up their whole planet

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My hunch is that there are a bunch of different factions at play, and Titan's story was to show there aren't any "true" evil baddies, or the real evil ones like Earthquake Gauntlet Mad Scientist and T-PainDaftPunk are being replaced with "the ends justify the means" type villains. Like Titan, who thinks he can make things better for people through organized crime; the Guardians' managers or whoever they are whose motivation seems to be maintaining the status quo as much as possible; Omni-man who seems to have genuine compassion for his family (and probably wasn't in his original plan); and possibly Robot, whatever he's doing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Source Idiom posted:

Impossible to say. The way this comic has been adapted, it's both already happened and yet to happen.

I okay, that suggests that it will probably be in the season finale. I'm worried that might drag it on for a long long time.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I just really digged this episode's fight scene because it showed the guardians getting manhandled by some nobodies, and it seemed like such a cop out to have them pull off a victory in the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doom2020! posted:

Seems awful clear by now he wasn't being mind controlled and is some manner of not a good guy.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Doom2020! posted:

So Robot talking to the clone brothers: some of you guys think he is going to clone one of the Guardians to find out the truth behind Nolan. This episode showed you need a seperate living brain to transfer knowledge So what do you guys think now? Do you think Robot is bad still or what might his motivation be? Robot did seem awfully concerned with his injured team-mates (even tolerates Rex for who knows why). Is Robot a good guy? Is he some kind of super AI?

We did see Mark fighting Elephant man.

Also robot seems like he used to be human - he seems to get sort of upset that people view him as 'just a robot' and seems to relate to monster girl not being seen for what she really is.

So presumably he wants the cloning technology to create a human body for himself. Unclear why he'd want to create a clone of Rex Splode to do this though. Unless he figures that Rex Splode is such an idiot rear end in a top hat that killing him and replacing him with a nicer and more sensible Rex Splode would keep people from asking too many questions.

Doom2020! posted:

Seems like a Viltrumite genetic supremacist.

He starts talking about Viltumites having 'responsibilities' when he hears about Mark's relationship with Amber.
He clearly views himself as better than the other heroes and people in general.
He turns on the Guardians AFTER it's clear that Mark is developing powers and mentions that maybe it would be better if Mark didn't have powers.
He does seem to genuinely care about Mark but he is overly harsh in his training.

So the theory I'm leaning on is that Viltrumites are not a race of space altruists but a race that sends people to planets to produce more super-powered Viltrumite offspring and over time replace the native population.

This explains
a) Why Nolan is happy that Mark is developing a relationship, even occasionally giving him breaks on training for the sake of it. Normally he thinks training is of supreme importance and everything else is a waste of time.
b) Why Nolan only kills the Guardians AFTER Mark develops powers. If Mark didn't develop powers and Human-Viltrumite couplings didn't produce superpowered offspring then there's basically no point in him fighting the strongest native heroes since he previously held a cooperative relationship with them. Since Mark does develop powers then Nolan's philosophy is that there is inevitably going to be conflict between human heroes and the viltrumite bloodline so he decides to get the first strike in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We don't have to spoiler stuff from the first 3 episodes anymore do we? Just in case, I liked the goon who suggested that Omni-Mans people come to planets to help them, and once they get to a certain point, they just take over because no one can stand against them. Earth probably is one of the few planets with a large number of superheroes and villains so Omni-Man's mission changed, plus he fell in love. He still is planning on taking over, but his timeline has been altered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Loved the latest episode. I remember how they did it in the comics and this was even better. Actually the series is pretty much improving on the comics in every way.