Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

It’s subjective but personally I prefer crafting gear along the way, even if it means I “waste” time building something that’s not endgame viable. Upgrading and trying out new gear is fun, speedrunning to the end and then only building endgame stuff means lots of gear never gets a chance to shine.

Oh no don't get me wrong. You do you. Take the attack/crit thing as a suggestion because it works with every weapon. At least every weapon I had tried anyway. Take your time and enjoy it! It's a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

By unlock everything do you mean hunt all the mons and do requests to fill out the equipment trees?

I mean maxing out the HR rank so that all the decos and stuff is available.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Gotcha. Are there HR weapons too? Or just HR armor?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Gotcha. Are there HR weapons too? Or just HR armor?

oh buddy are there weapons...

the difference tho is HR weapons are usually upgraded from LR weapons, whereas armor is just made by itself. there's not a hard split like HR and LR for weapons but eventually weapons will require HR mats.

basically you can skip LR armor entirely since HR armor is just better, but LR weapons you may still have to craft.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hey thanks for the clarification on these points. I'm gonna craft up a small selection of GLs. I never used elemental weapons in an MH. Wrecking Khezu with fire felt really good and now I want to similarly wreck every monster.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gunlance: man blast dash is so fun. Also man blast dash feels like it is not your greatest option half the time lol. It’s so weird to see a big attack coming and just... stand there and poke the monster. I kept getting the feeling that actually I should be going for the charged shelling style not the unload all your bullets into the face style (I crafted Rathian with high level Normal shelling)

If you're worried about what you "should" do in terms of playing "optimally", you should be using a long gunlance and charged shelling, but only for the ability to get into wyrmstake faster (hold A, release > back on the stick + A), guard reload, rinse and repeat. But using blast dash to go into a full blast is a) fun and b) not the worst thing to do, especially once you have load shells active.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What is the parry at the beginning of the lance's spiral thrust meant to accomplish? I kept trying to counter off of it but nothing. Also what's this about a third hit?

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Deified Data posted:

What is the parry at the beginning of the lance's spiral thrust meant to accomplish? I kept trying to counter off of it but nothing. Also what's this about a third hit?

Timing it right, you get a blue buff roughly equivalent to the red one from anchor rage then the attack continues regardless. After you do the two dashes, press x and forward to do the lance charge poke, and x and back to do the lance charge 180 spin slash.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

v1ld posted:

I thought you had to wait till they ate before killing the Altaroths, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Kiranico shows it as the reward for some quests, with better than drop RNG: https://mhgu.kiranico.com/item/593a0

That worked, thanks!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the axe buff you can get with switch axe after doing a wild swing combo is so fun. basically getting another sharpness level tacked on feels so good and lets you just rip into so many monsters that would otherwise deflect you like crazy.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm struggling to use the ZL + A for GL. I think it's intended to be used in the face of incoming attacks but nothing ever comes of it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm struggling to use the ZL + A for GL. I think it's intended to be used in the face of incoming attacks but nothing ever comes of it.

Its a pretty short window but yeah it'll block an attack and fill up your sharpness a bit

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
And more importantly you can go right into a stake. The counter owns

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Tbh I'm not sure why the GL block is so short when the CB one lasts for a thousand years

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Edit: got it!

Next question. On the materials page of Hunter notes, next to the drop percentage for some Mars is an icon that looks like two boxes stacked on one another. What's is the icon?

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 9, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/mudlunch/status/1379539925607968773?s=20
lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

D E S T R O Y E D

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wildtortilla posted:

Edit: got it!

Next question. On the materials page of Hunter notes, next to the drop percentage for some Mars is an icon that looks like two boxes stacked on one another. What's is the icon?

that indicates that there are multiple rolls associated with that category. For instance something might show as some percent chance to drop as a broken part reward, but if you highlight it and look at the detailed view it will have a different chance to drop from a broken head compared to a broken back or whatever the part is.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Tbh I'm not sure why the GL block is so short when the CB one lasts for a thousand years

honestly i prefer the GL one because like you say the CB one lasts forever which means that if you whiff it you'll just be standing there doing a stupid pose for the next 15 minutes

he just keeps going lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

perfect

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
True Charge Slash? Gross.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm absolutely refusing to join in on the narga + wex meta that seems to be coalescing in most weapons and have been playing with some other sorts of builds.

I did pick up a bludgeoner / dulling strikes / Mind's Eye build on hammer with that Bone 2 weapon with 230 raw and a giant green sharpness bar and it's been a ton of fun. Rank 3 bludgeoner is pretty much 'close enough' to blue sharpness that it really makes these crazy high raw weapons shine. I'm going to keep most of this armor intact and redeco and give longsword and greatsword a shot with it too because I feel like that might benefit given the nature of the weapon. I'm not sure how well it'll do outside of that wheelhouse because I feel like most of the other weapons are starved for other priority skills (artillery, rapid morph, power prolonger, ect).

My other thought is to try a Handicraft/protective polish build to push one of the middling weapons into white sharpness and keep it there, but both of those skills are extremely hard to come by, and take up some really important armor slots.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

True Charge Slash? Gross.
I'm not a rage slash fan

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

AnEndcat posted:

Timing it right, you get a blue buff roughly equivalent to the red one from anchor rage then the attack continues regardless. After you do the two dashes, press x and forward to do the lance charge poke, and x and back to do the lance charge 180 spin slash.

:eyepop:

As for spectacle monsters being samey, eh you could say that about everything. I've memorized how Rathian works after fighting her ten million times for instance. But hunts always end up being different, you never perform exactly the same, some attacks end up giving you trouble and others not as much... it's a good game. As long as the threat of screwing up continues to bear down I'll have fun pushing past it and learning.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I'm not a rage slash fan

I feel like 70% of my TCS are missing the monster by a hair, often even without trying to charge up. It feels so bad.

Rage Slash feels pretty nice. Also setting up a wakeup is infinitely easier.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Rage Slash being fully free aimed is great. You can just do your wakeup setup in the completely wrong direction safely and then 360 no scope.

As well as only being one hit to space instead of two.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 9, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like the flippy, and I guess I've played enough GS that I don't miss it that much. Rage slash has the counter angle going for it I guess, but that's not how I'd ever use a charge so I wouldn't be taking advantage of it

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

homeless snail posted:

Rage slash has the counter angle going for it I guess, but that's not how I'd ever use a charge so I wouldn't be taking advantage of it

It's not even the counter angle so much as Adamant Charge Slash and Rage Slash are probably the closest Rise will get to letting Greatsword users have a Rocksteady Mantle. If we ever get a Health Regen ramp-up skill in future title updates then we'll fully be in business.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Yeah. The fact that it is going to hit, even if the monster moves behind you or attacks you, is the big deal. It does slightly less damage, but you only need like one to two hits in a hunt that you wouldn't have gotten with TCS and you're ahead.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty comfortable with my new Gunlance build :3:

Defense Boost is there because it was already on the Basarios armor piece and I had to spend the 1-slots on something

I even look pretty good, if I may say so myself

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: the new monsters are all very fun designs. Even Almudron's under ground shtick is nowhere near Cephadrome to use an extreme example.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'm pretty comfortable with my new Gunlance build :3:

Defense Boost is there because it was already on the Basarios armor piece and I had to spend the 1-slots on something

I even look pretty good, if I may say so myself

Saving this for future ref. Nice looking build.

Saving this too from the next page.

MMF Freeway posted:

This is what I got, not sure razor sharp is actually worth it but it feels comfy at least. Bombardier is just there because it happened to be on my charm, but I enjoy it thematically

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 9, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah we've talked a lot about monsters we want to see returned, what are people's favorite new ones?

I personally love Goss Harag

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Meridian posted:

IG looks so cool when I see other people playing it. All I do is pound heads with hammer or blast with the LBG. It's not nearly as flashy. What set are you using?

So, big 3 IG tips: Kinsect, Targeting and Attack Type.

First off, with the IG the biggest tip is to remember to use your Kinsect. When you hold ZR(R2), a target reticle will pop up. X sends the kinsect towards the target, A calls it back. You want to hit 3 spots:

Red: Head/Tail.
Orange: Legs.
White: Arms/Wings.

Once you have one, bring the Kinsect back and it gives you that buff. Collect all 3. This turns you from 'super-mobile staff ninja' to 'flying lawnmower of ruin, ruler of the skies'.

Hold ZR and press B, and you launch into the air. A is a flying lawnmower strike, with the last hit boosting you into the air again. X is a Rolling Thunder downward strike that gains a boost when you combo with the lawnmower. More air time, bigger damage. Once you run out of stamina, take a breather, launch a kinsect, recharge, go airborne again.

Enjoy being anime.

The last part is your weapon and Kinsect type. Kin are separated into 3 classes: Attack, Powder and Speed. Two are simple, Powder will leave small dust clouds where they strike the target. Hit these and they release a small buildup of the element.

Your weapon can also have a 'powder' type on it (or an impact type) that can release powder on A hits or a certain Switch Skill move.

Go out, experiment, and have fun beating monsters until they fall asleep.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Does anyone see themselves going back to World or are we all locked into Rise for a while? I wonder if Capcom will update World still or are they fully shifted to Rise

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kirios posted:

Does anyone see themselves going back to World or are we all locked into Rise for a while? I wonder if Capcom will update World still or are they fully shifted to Rise

World is 100% done (content wise). Team’s working on World 2 / 6th gen / main title.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, big 3 IG tips: Kinsect, Targeting and Attack Type.

First off, with the IG the biggest tip is to remember to use your Kinsect. When you hold ZR(R2), a target reticle will pop up. X sends the kinsect towards the target, A calls it back. You want to hit 3 spots:

Red: Head/Tail.
Orange: Legs.
White: Arms/Wings.

Once you have one, bring the Kinsect back and it gives you that buff. Collect all 3. This turns you from 'super-mobile staff ninja' to 'flying lawnmower of ruin, ruler of the skies'.

Hold ZR and press B, and you launch into the air. A is a flying lawnmower strike, with the last hit boosting you into the air again. X is a Rolling Thunder downward strike that gains a boost when you combo with the lawnmower. More air time, bigger damage. Once you run out of stamina, take a breather, launch a kinsect, recharge, go airborne again.

Enjoy being anime.

The last part is your weapon and Kinsect type. Kin are separated into 3 classes: Attack, Powder and Speed. Two are simple, Powder will leave small dust clouds where they strike the target. Hit these and they release a small buildup of the element.

Your weapon can also have a 'powder' type on it (or an impact type) that can release powder on A hits or a certain Switch Skill move.

Go out, experiment, and have fun beating monsters until they fall asleep.

To add to this, controlling the kinsect can be kind of fiddly until you build it into muscle memory, all of it is bound to R2:

R2 +L2 you fire a mustard shot that will attract the kinsect
R2 + X Sic kinsect - it'll go to whatever part you shot with the mustard hit once, and pick up a color buff. If you didn't mustard shot- it flies generally straight ahead and kind of does fuckall.
R2 + A Retrieve kinsect - it flies back to your arm and gives you the buff.
RT + B Jump - Boing! Can be chained if you hit with the non-helmsplitter jumping attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Isn't there an assist type kinsect too? It attacks with you iirc.