Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

The sequel is finally coming out next month too, and looks like it's just as good

Oh my god next month!? gently caress yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm glad you like the last of us buddy, i thought it was a good videogame but I'm always slightly baffled when people treat it like a classic genre defining masterpiece. That's all.

I legitimately think that the voice acting of the two leads is more or less the main reason it's seen as being so good.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I am loving seeing people discover Subnautica for the first time (like me last year). Below Zero, the sequel, is in early access on Steam and it's basically done aside from the ending.

Hopper posted:

My bases are rather small, I have them at the edge of the drop to mushroom caves, at the cannon Island and one single multipurpose room with power cell charger at the sea treader's meadow the former 2 are solar powered and the latter has a bioreactor for obvious reasons.

I am not a fan of survival games normally but this one is a fresh breath because it has no zombies and doesn't force you to fight if you don't want to. At least not so far.

You basically can't fight* - there's a good YT vid from the developer where they talk about the design ethos (it was created in the wake of Sandy Hook).

*you can, but it's not rewarded. Although you can basically tank your way through the ghost leviathan with the prawn suit + drill arm in the Lost River if you want to. I *strongly* suggest not reading this spoiler as it takes a lot of the fun and tension out of the mid/late game.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am getting pretty addicted to building an underwater base here. I’ve built up my infrastructure enough to have the ultra high cap tank, ultra fins, 6 extra power cells and 3 power cell chargers for them in my base. So the cyclops can always run. I haven’t built a prawn yet. I found the plans for the observatory and multifunction house and whoa is the voice acting good in this! The Scottish family was really cool (and tragic).

My biggest problem right now is I keep getting these radio messages about a life pod in some general vicinity of somewhere and for the life of me I can’t find it worth poo poo.

You can "upcycle" dead batteries into fully charged power cells (2 dead batteries + 1 silicone rubber = 1 fully charged power cell) so the battery charger is IMO the bigger pickup, but yeah it's nice to have both.

The Cyclops is a bit of a battery hog but once you get the thermal plant it becomes a non-issue. In my initial expedition down below, I brilliantly brought one less kyanite back than I needed to make it, so the Cyclop's maiden expedition to the hot place is going to have a note of urgency to it.

Speaking of which: I got precariously close to what might have been a "gameover" was down in the lava zone with prawn suit, couldn't find my way out and died of hunger/thirst. I had built a small base overlooking the giant cove tree so respawned there, and was only just barely able to get back to the prawn as my O2 failed. If I hadn't been able to recover the prawn, I couldn't have made it back out of the Lost River, so would have been stuck there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Simone Magus posted:

I legitimately think that the voice acting of the two leads is more or less the main reason it's seen as being so good.

The Last of Us pushed the envelope in terms of the environment and storytelling and acting. The gameplay itself is just perfectly refined with a molecular laser so that you never need to think about the game while you’re playing it, so that you can just stay immersed in the world and feel less of a barrier between you and the PC.

The Last of Us is regarded the way it is because it doesn’t really have a weak link, and the only thing they don’t really innovate/iterate on is the 3PS/crafting/crouch walk gameplay, and they don’t iterate on it because there is literally nothing to be gained by making it more complicated or game-y.

There’s no “one reason” that TLoU engendered itself to multiple gaming generations, it’s the fact that it’s just a video game made at the highest level of quality by masters of their craft.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I once watched a YouTube video of someone who had made a base in Subnautica that was out in the infinite blackness part of the map, as far down as possible, and let me tell you about not sleeping for a week

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

a base in Subnautica that was out in the infinite blackness part of the map, as far down as possible,

No no no

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

The Last of Us pushed the envelope in terms of the environment and storytelling and acting. The gameplay itself is just perfectly refined with a molecular laser so that you never need to think about the game while you’re playing it, so that you can just stay immersed in the world and feel less of a barrier between you and the PC.

The Last of Us is regarded the way it is because it doesn’t really have a weak link, and the only thing they don’t really innovate/iterate on is the 3PS/crafting/crouch walk gameplay, and they don’t iterate on it because there is literally nothing to be gained by making it more complicated or game-y.

There’s no “one reason” that TLoU engendered itself to multiple gaming generations, it’s the fact that it’s just a video game made at the highest level of quality by masters of their craft.

and the multiplayer was tits

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s ok, you spent $400 on PS3 games in the last 2 years so it balances out.

:drat:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Days Gone is making me rage at these loading times. Especially because my first run in the game went like:

Several minutes of initial loading
Cutscene
Minute+ long loading screen
Cutscene
Opening segment where you pursue the biker man, but my buddy slammed into a bridge and blew up. So I just kept going, but then it said I failed because I got too far from him.
This time I puttered to a stop around the bridge, but this time he did not crash. Actually, what I thought was him blowing up was just a molotov cocktail or whatever tossed by the guy. And I failed again for the same reason.

Agony
Agony!

I want to play this drat game. I live in Oregon and such things please us. Girlfriend's PS4 is not up to snuff.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Load times are pretty bad in Days Gone. I think I timed it once from booting from the PS4 menu to gameplay, and it took close to 4-5 minutes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's called Days Gone because that's how much time you lose to loading

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Load times are pretty bad in Days Gone. I think I timed it once from booting from the PS4 menu to gameplay, and it took close to 4-5 minutes.

holy poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They barely had time to write the drat game lol you think they had any time for optimization?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Load times for Days Gone are better on PS5, which is how I played it.

But I love Days Gone, really bummed if there is never a sequel. :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At this rate QoP might actually never get a PS5

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
well that didnt take long, time to go pick up a copy of homefront

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1380543764221939712

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1380554824119296001

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 9, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Sekiro!!! I beat Owl Father!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZkb9vBASM

Felt super good through the entire first phase but fell apart completely in the second. This was only maybe the 4th or 5th time getting him to the second phase and I clearly was not comfortable with the rhythm yet. I was getting worried when I ran out of gourds and died but saw he was close to half health and felt I was getting more comfortable with the fight so decided to press on. I probably didn't need the healing from the rice ball but maybe it gave me some reassurance to get aggressive and go for the win. What a fight!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao the timepslitters arcade machine is in one of the last levels now? how bad a game is homefront... :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Press X to enter mass grave bad

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Has anyone noticed the "update history" thing on PS4 being kinda spotty lately? Like, for example, take Disco Elysium. I downloaded the 1.02 (1.2? Whatever) patch last night and the "current version" section is reflected as such. But when I go to the "update history" section, it only gives info for update 1.01.

I think the same thing happened with the Hypnospace Outlaw PS4 patch ~4 months ago or so.

I'm just a nerd who likes reading patch notes. :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

it’s THAT game??????? holy moly

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weedle posted:

it’s THAT game??????? holy moly

That might be the first game because I forgot Revolution was actually a sequel lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

worth it for timespliters 2. :colbert:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

you might wanna sit down when i tell you about the ps5 patch notes.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

fridge corn posted:

Felt super good through the entire first phase but fell apart completely in the second. This was only maybe the 4th or 5th time getting him to the second phase and I clearly was not comfortable with the rhythm yet. I was getting worried when I ran out of gourds and died but saw he was close to half health and felt I was getting more comfortable with the fight so decided to press on. I probably didn't need the healing from the rice ball but maybe it gave me some reassurance to get aggressive and go for the win. What a fight!

Nice work!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

Has anyone noticed the "update history" thing on PS4 being kinda spotty lately? Like, for example, take Disco Elysium. I downloaded the 1.02 (1.2? Whatever) patch last night and the "current version" section is reflected as such. But when I go to the "update history" section, it only gives info for update 1.01.

I think the same thing happened with the Hypnospace Outlaw PS4 patch ~4 months ago or so.

I think that's completely up to the developers whether or not they add stuff there. It's nice when they do, but a lot of the time all that's there is "see https://www.game.com/patch-notes" for details." It might be mandatory for first party titles but not third party.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've literally never seen worthwhile notes on that screen. I'm pretty sure even the PS OS updates that introduce major new features still get written up as "performance and stability improvements"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I had a good chuckle when my copy of Danganronpa 1.2 Reload updated so I checked my PS5's patch notes and the patch notes were about how they removed all mention of "NIS Ameica" from the game, like such disrespect they couldn't even spell the company name properly.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

haveblue posted:

I've literally never seen worthwhile notes on that screen. I'm pretty sure even the PS OS updates that introduce major new features still get written up as "performance and stability improvements"

Outer Wilds on PS4 had some very detailed patch notes, I remember.

Policenaut posted:

I had a good chuckle when my copy of Danganronpa 1.2 Reload updated so I checked my PS5's patch notes and the patch notes were about how they removed all mention of "NIS Ameica" from the game, like such disrespect they couldn't even spell the company name properly.

"Natume"...

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I push the start all the time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

Spelunky 2 has very detailed notes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veeg back on DS3 https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

fridge corn posted:

:stare::stare: my god dude you practically went flawless first phase. I felt like maybe you got what I get often, final phase crushing existential anxiety syndrome lol. It’s weird because his final phase feels so much more intimidating and different and hectic, but it’s actually 90% the same as the first phase. Even still, it was way rad that you were able to turn that around and kill him.

Hardest boss of the game is down for you! You’re now in the what like 8% of players who’ve actually beat him. How much more you got to go until you get to isshin?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Good loving lord fine I'll play the last of them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh Wait We Found Some More Of Us

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Last of You Guys 3: Hey You Guys

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Playing TLOU now for the first time would be weird because of how beaten into the dirt zombie survivor stuff is so you'd almost go into it with lesser expectations for that reason alone

Days Gone doesn't even bother to have a big scary reveal the first time you see a zombie, its just "yeah, heres a nest. *sigh* alright let's get em :effort:" like the characters themselves are aware that the premise is tired

Weedle
May 31, 2006

(The cabin explodes, killing everyone inside.)

JOEL
Wow. I guess that really was the last of us.

(He whistles. A horse appears from around a nearby corner.)

JOEL
Come on, boy. Let's get out of here.

HORSE
You said it, pal!

(Fade to black.)

(C) 2013 Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Last of Us: The Series: The Game

Joel and Ellie models updated to look like their TV actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think the best zombie game is still Dying Light, where you do parkour through Rio and beat up zombies with electric guitars

e or Undead Nightmare, which should have just been a forgettable add on but ended up being really scary and just well done.